• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken 3D Prime Edition |OT| Ohh, Excellent!!

Where do you turn streetpass on? I can't find that option, but the card thing apparently uses it. I looked in system settings and there is no icon for this game either.

I've been having fun learning to play Chrisite in practice mode. I think this game is way more playable than Street Fighter 4 on 3DS because it only uses 4 buttons.

I tried online and it was laggy as hell. I don't know if the other guy was just playing at the local McDonalds or what, but it sucked.

I found out that you turn on streetpass after you pick 3 cards for streetpass trades. Which is kind of lame. You don't play a game with the cards or anything, you just collect them.

I really wish this had a VS mode like SSF4 where I can just pick my CPU opponent and stage and just fight. All this game does is make me want to get a console Tekken.

Game is smooth as hell, with online play at 60fps and over 40 characters Ill be damned not to get this. I picked it up and I love it. Beats out the PSP one hands down, fuck a acrade with storys when I have online play!!! And the Move is cool too.

Sayah

This review is spot on.

I also had a lot of lag when playing online. I've tried 2 times now and both times it's been like fighting in slow motion. It sucks.
Does the game provide you with a connection strength before the match begins? Can you reject matches with lower connection strength?

Does the game provide you with a connection strength before the match begins? Can you reject matches with lower connection strength?

No to both of those questions. To play unknown people, you either go into their room and the match automatically starts or you make your own room, with your own round and time settings, and then the match starts when someone joins. All you see before the match starts is their name, Kyu rank, and Win/lose record.

B00TE

Broke down and picked this up yesterday. I love it though I can see why some people might wanna wait to pick this up, if you wanted more single player features and such. Haven't tried playing online yet, so I can't comment on that. Will at some point tonight and I will most likely get destroyed. Oh well!

alazz

Finally found a store that had it, so I snagged it. Feels good, too.

Man, it's pretty bare-bones, but it's a lot of fun. I've spent about an hour, maybe more, in practice mode. The amount of characters is overwhelming, hah.
I played a single and got to 83% or something.
Going to try online later tonight.

Best of all though is it's buttery smooth and absolutely gorgeous.

Sayah

Finally found a store that had it, so I snagged it. Feels good, too.

Man, it's pretty bare-bones, but it's a lot of fun. I've spent about an hour, maybe more, in practice mode. The amount of characters is overwhelming, hah.
I played a single and got to 83% or something.
Going to try online later tonight.

Best of all though is it's buttery smooth and absolutely gorgeous.

The roster really is quite overwhelming. Learning just one character can take up a lot of time. The game mechanics are also extremely deep. May take a lot of time to learn but it is so very rewarding once you do.

No to both of those questions. To play unknown people, you either go into their room and the match automatically starts or you make your own room, with your own round and time settings, and then the match starts when someone joins. All you see before the match starts is their name, Kyu rank, and Win/lose record.

That sucks. Tekken 6 gives those options so you can avoid laggy matches.

B00TE

Tried playing online last night, couldn't find a match at all. Tried both the Local and Anywhere settings, still nothing. I'll try again at some point today and see if any games are going.

panda21

Is this good for someone who only plays SP? sounds like it has at least some replayability, but not much..

Does it control ok? I liked SFIV but the controls were bad on the 3ds, DOA was better. BlazBleu was ok but the 3d sucked.

Quick battle is so weird... It's odd that it's not setup like any of the previous ghost mode stuff. Also weird that character colors are restricted to pre determined options.

Is this good for someone who only plays SP? sounds like it has at least some replayability, but not much..

Does it control ok? I liked SFIV but the controls were bad on the 3ds, DOA was better. BlazBleu was ok but the 3d sucked.

I can't recommend it for people looking for a good single player experience or those looking to play online. Online is laggy as hell. Quick Battle is basically arcade mode without CG endings. So, if you just want to fight 10 random CPU opponents, there's that. And then you have practice mode, which actually has some pretty good options. I've spent most of my time in practice mode learning Christie. If you just want to practice and learn characters on your 3DS, this is pretty good.

It does control pretty well. I think it works much better than SSF4 because it only uses 4 buttons, leaving the L, R, and 4 corners of the touch screen free for mapping whatever you want to them. Also, there's not a whole lot of QCF motion moves like in SSF4.

I don't know how the hell anyone does any move in BlazBlue with the 3DS d-pad.

B00TE

Quick battle is so weird... It's odd that it's not setup like any of the previous ghost mode stuff.

Honestly, this is my only complaint. I wish it was still endless, but I guess if I'm playing this on the go I'm not really gonna go beyond ten matches.

And while I'm sure the touchpad shortcuts are nice for some people, I felt kind of lame when I tried using them. Oh, for people asking about the controls - I've had no issues whatsoever. Feels a lot better to me than SSFIV did.

Pimpbaa

Hope this game does well enough to warrant another Tekken game (fully featured) on the 3DS. They really did a great job getting the engine to look and run so good on the 3DS and it would be a waste to not use it again for another Tekken game.

Honestly, this is my only complaint. I wish it was still endless, but I guess if I'm playing this on the go I'm not really gonna go beyond ten matches.

And while I'm sure the touchpad shortcuts are nice for some people, I felt kind of lame when I tried using them. Oh, for people asking about the controls - I've had no issues whatsoever. Feels a lot better to me than SSFIV did.

It's weird fact that there's a 40match (and prob more) in the survival battle mode but you can't rank up in that >_< I'd squash all my complaints if the ranking + card stuff was integrated better.

It's a working and smooth Tekken so I don't mind.

dreamahm

Banned
Pros:

+Nice Graphics & 60 fps in 2d,3d.
+Good Control.
+Clear Movie with 3d.
+No loading :)
+Card System.
+Special Mode.
+Online Mode 60fps.
+Shortcut touch Movement.

Cons:

-Not include alot of modes.
-No Tag mode in it.
-No new player from Tag 2.
-Only Heihachi has new movement :(
-No Customization mode.

Overall:
Very Good Game you should get it if you are TEKKEN Fan.
82%

GDGF

Soothsayer
Hope this game does well enough to warrant another Tekken game (fully featured) on the 3DS. They really did a great job getting the engine to look and run so good on the 3DS and it would be a waste to not use it again for another Tekken game.

Gives me great hope for the rumored Soul Calibur 3DS.

beje

Banned
It's really clear the game was rushed to hell and back. You just don't go from fancy tech demo used to demonstrate they can do 60FPS on stereoscopic 3D to releasing a full game in barely 8 months without leaving tons of stuff behind. Double fail when you take into account DoA:D has like three times as much SP content being a rushed-to-hardware-launch game.

It's really weird that only in special survival you see Tekken 6 stages during every 10th fight... and they are in black and white...? why arent these unlocked normally?

My husband really wants this... but I've called and I can't find a single store that carries this game. Where are all of you finding it?

Mitsurux

Quick Battle is pretty much "Arcade Mode"....

Haven't taken this on-line yet... but have been enjoying it so far

Sayah

Had to watch this without sound but the game looks so damn gorgeous on a handheld. Pretty amazing run through of the game. Though, I wish the person playing knew more about Tekken mechanics to show the true awesomeness of the gameplay.

Also nice to see that you can easily switch the main character on the bottom screen while accessing the online mode menu on the top screen. Not like you have to disconnect out of the online mode and go to the main menu to change the main character. That complaint about being forced to one character online doesn't seem very justified now since the bottom screen can serve basically as a character select screen.

The online lag seems to be at Tekken 6 levels and it probably will vary depending on the connection of both players. Although, the lack of options to see the signal strength and reject matches on the basis of it is a real disappointment. Thankfully, the ranked matches are not confined to three rounds so they will end a lot quicker than T6. I also didn't see any disconnects or synching signs so that's a good sign. The option to rematch in ranked matches is also a nice addition.

Basically, the whole complaint of reviewers is about the game lacking modes but honestly, all you really need is Practice and Online/Local play if you plan to play competitively. I've barely ever touched Survival, Time Attack, Arcade, etc. in Tekken 6. Playing with artificial intelligence won't get you anywhere in terms of competition.

Edit: Here is an old combo video for inspiration for people new to Tekken. Get those creative minds flowing. And basically, any combos from Tekken 6 applies here so use T6 youtube videos for character guides, combos and the like.

I just finished watching the movie. Hilarious stuff. The panda is crazy. The last 20 minutes is indeed awesome. I doubt Pixar could have accomplished animation like the last 20 minutes.

bryanee

In the quicklook they change character for a ranked match. I thought you couldnt do that or am I misinformed?

Does this game still have pretty bad lag?

Yes.

Let me elaborate. Playing this online is like playing in slow motion. Who gives a fuck if it's not 3D online when it's 10x slower than offline? This shit is unplayable. I can play all of my other games online just fine, except this one. I just played SSF4 and Mario Kart 7 online just to make sure my Internet didn't start sucking all of a sudden too.

Korosenai

Yes.

Let me elaborate. Playing this online is like playing in slow motion. Who gives a fuck if it's not 3D online when it's 10x slower than offline? This shit is unplayable. I can play all of my other games online just fine, except this one. I just played SSF4 and Mario Kart 7 online just to make sure my Internet didn't start sucking all of a sudden too.

Dang thats dissapointing. I have ssf4 and i was going to trade it in and get tekken, but not now.

Kerub

Banned
Wow, you guys weren't kidding about the lag. Played 5 matches and they were all going in slowmotion.

But I'm having fun with survival mode at least.

Pif

Banned
Is this game worth it for 5 bucks?

I've been looking for a small tekken fix, and only having a 3ds and ps4 my options are limited.

How many hours of single player can one get out of this? Online was a bit broken back then amd nowadays there are no players anymore most probably.

Top Bottom