• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TEKKEN 7 releases June 2nd (PC/XB1/PS4, Season Pass, Eliza, more details)

Number notation is for anime fighters. Nothing wrong with it because it makes lots of sense, but acting like it's used homogeneously among all fgs isn't true.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Can't stand number notation. Makes no sense without a number pad right in front of you. And for what? Saving a character when notating diagonals?

Also, no matter what side you're on, forward is always forward. Based on a number pad, 6 is forward on the left side while 4 is forward on the right side. Confusing as hell.

My friends and I (and plenty of people) started playing fighting games in the arcades and snes. Why would we use number notations when none of those use a keyboard. I'm guessing some people started playing/importing fighting games through roms or something.

Line_HTX

No, that's stupid. I've spent over a decade playing fighting games using the number pad notation. Every other fighting game community does is except the English-speaking Tekken community. Why do you people have to be weird? It's a nightmare to read.
Be normal:
10440193_f520.jpg

NRS games like MK and Injustice also use that notation. It is not weird. Why do you have to make it only about the Tekken community?

Spy

I think? Tekken is my most anticipated fighter of the year but there is so many games coming out it's ridiculous between this, ARMS, Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite, Fire Pro Wrestling World, Absolver, and not to mention the rumored Super Smash Bros. and Pokkén Tournament ports. It's a great time to be a fan of the genre.

danmaku

Can't stand number notation. Makes no sense without a number pad right in front of you. And for what? Saving a character when notating diagonals?.

Number notation is the best because you can map every movement in a simple and intuitive way. If a move requires you to do a 421 how do you call it? "reverse dragon punch"? How about a 412? "quarter circle forward from back"? For every movement you need to invent a new name and ask everyone to learn it. With numbers you don't need to, you can map everything. Numbers > all.

Line_HTX

It's not like the number notation or the number directional are some crazy secret code. Would you like 9RP or 3LK instead of what's already there for Tekken?

Kashiwaba

Any idea how good of Tekken games netcode usually? This is the first Tekken game which i want to take seriously since Tekken 3, and are frame data as important here as Street fighter games?

KillLaCam

Banned
Edit: I quoted the wrong notation.

Here's the MK/ Injustice one
hqdefault.jpg

Naw the numberpad one is the weird one. Tekkens is closer to NRS games too.

I've never seen NRS players use that notation it's usually b,d,f,u and a combination of that.

There are no diagonal inputs so 2 or at most 3 movement inputs for command grabs get the job done.

Two Words

how does somebody have trouble understanding f as forward but 6 makes sense? Hell, those directions don't even explain which direction is forward. 6 being right only means forward when you are on the left.

ZeroX03

Banned
Nvidia game specific drivers for Tekken 7, a full week before it's even out. My gwad is Namco Bandai taking this serious!?

Like I've been saying, I've been hands on with the PC build a couple of times (on high end Nvidia) and it's been fantastic every time.

Any idea how good of Tekken games netcode usually? This is the first Tekken game which i want to take seriously since Tekken 3, and are frame data as important here as Street fighter games?

Tag 2 netcode was great, not a lot to worry about.

ZeroX03

Banned
Do we have any more clues to what exactly's in the season pass?

Comes with three DLC packs. The first batch, to be released this Summer 2017, will provide a brand-new game mode and more than 50 new costumes. The second and third batches of content, to be released respectively this Winter 2017 and next Spring 2018, will both feature one exclusive playable guest character from other videogames’ licenses with, each time, a special stage and special costumes for these guest characters. This 3 post launch pieces of content will be purchasable individually but will also be available through the Season Pass that will grant to each buyers 35 exclusive metallic costumes.

Comes with three DLC packs. The first batch, to be released this Summer 2017, will provide a brand-new game mode and more than 50 new costumes. The second and third batches of content, to be released respectively this Winter 2017 and next Spring 2018, will both feature one exclusive playable guest character from other videogames’ licenses with, each time, a special stage and special costumes for these guest characters. This 3 post launch pieces of content will be purchasable individually but will also be available through the Season Pass that will grant to each buyers 35 exclusive metallic costumes.

Anyone think Akira Yuki is gonna be one of the characters? Would be pretty bad ass.

Kashiwaba

Is Eliza available for preorder only? If i want to get the game on PSN.

one of those guest charicters better be kiryu.
who am i kidding, its going to be iori minase from im@s and honoka kousaka from love live, and ill still be hyped lol

Wallach

I can't decide if I should pick this up at the release or later. The uncertain DLC bugs me.

DLC for Tekken is usually super light, I would not expect like a bundle / ultimate edition later, they will probably not to any more DLC beyond the first season pass. They'll just move on to the next game.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
DLC for Tekken is usually super light, I would not expect like a bundle / ultimate edition later, they will probably not to any more DLC beyond the first season pass. They'll just move on to the next game.

It bears mentioning that this is the first time that Tekken has had a season pass, and Harada has said that by having a season pass they can support the game for a full year, rather than just two months, as has was the policy with previous games.

That said, I don't think I'd count on any additional paid content outside of the season pass.

Menome

Pure speculation: Remember that Namco did a poll about a year and a half ago for favourite Soul Calibur characters, where Talim came out clear on top?

With no apparent Soul Calibur game on the way, I wonder if that might have been a way to see who to include as guest-character for the DLC.

EDIT: Made a mistake.

vocab

It is, why they say 2 + heavy in anime games I'll never know, just say down you psychopaths. Not to mention when they say the directions for a special... ugh. anime commentary is why I hate watching anime games.

It's universal notion so japanese players can share tech to the rest of the world easier.

SC / VF / DoA still use numbered notation IIRC. I think it's just the nature of their commands and buttons.
Nope VF & DIA games use f d b u PKG. Only reason Soul Calibur even uses number pad is because there is a B button. If that wasn't there every 3D fighter would use the same notation.

jon_dojah

Banned
Nope VF & DIA games use f d b u PKG. Only reason Soul Calibur even uses number pad is because there is a B button. If that wasn't there every 3D fighter would use the same notation.

Not true for VF. Everyone on virtuafighter.com has used numbered notation 100% of the time since the website was founded in the 90's.

Pure speculation: Remember that Namco did a poll about a year and a half ago for favourite Soul Calibur characters, where Taki came out clear on top?

With no apparent Soul Calibur game on the way, I wonder if that might have been a way to see who to include as guest-character for the DLC.

Taki was the most popular SC character?

No wonder SCV flopped.

SOLDIER

It's kind of amazing how quickly Asuka became irrelavent to the Tekken canon.

Wasn't the fact that she's a Kazama supposed to play a big role? Her Tekken 5 ending suggested she would be able to purify Jin's Devil gene the same way Jun can (from the afterlife, or whatever).

Right after that game, Asuka's sole purpose has pretty much been that everybody just wants dem titties (including Lili).

Top Bottom