• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Producer:"I would like to make a Virtua Fighter-Tekken game.We've some ideas!"

ToxicAdam

shuri said:
DOA VS TEKKEN VS VF VS MORTAL KOMBAT vs Yie Ar Kung Fu

Buchu FTW!

wYie_Ar_Kung-Fu.png

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
Not only did the Tekken guys say this yearssssssss ago, but there was a shitty bootleg of this on Sega Megadrive made by 'tards. Seriously. It was CRAPOLA.

ACTUAL SCREENS. NOT A SHIT JOKE:
vfvstkn.jpg

Would link the page but it has illegal roms on it.

VF vs Tekken would not happen unless Tekken tweaks its character moveset engine dramatically.

jarrod

Banned
Ugh, stop with the Megamix comparisons people... the only reason that game worked with switching playstyles is that basically outside physics and speed tweaks, VF and FV have the exact same core engine running. That's not at all the case for Tekken and VF... movesets and everything would need to be reworked from the ground up for each to accomodate each playstyle.

Plus Tekken sux. I'd rather see VF & Bloody Roar team up before I get trash like Tekken in my VF.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
I also heard that Daihatsu would really like to codevelop a new car with Porsche.

sorry, I had to :(

Pachael

Harada talks about having competition but I don't see it as such these days since I feel that the franchises' fans drive much of the improvements and developments. So much so that the three games occupy their own distinct 'space' in the fighting market and don't really overlap each other.

OK, DOA and Tekken do fight it out but I think the producers of the two games are perhaps a bit too respectful of VF to even try.

Anyway I doubt anything's going to come out of it, AM2 have their ambitious VF.NET that needs tweaking and updating! (together with VF5 itself, which has a bunch of updates already and we're only three months into it!)

Daigoro

Stoney Mason said:
This would be great!

5 or 6 years ago when I gave a crap about fighting games

HAW HAW!
scrub

The Take Out Bandit said:
Well I guess that will be some time next week then since those retards at Namco are entertaining the idea Tekken is worthy to mop VF jizz.

word.

jett

D-Member
jarrod said:
Plus Tekken sux. I'd rather see VF & Bloody Roar team up before I get trash like Tekken in my VF.

:lol Go back to discussing Nintendo DS sales, little buddy. I seriously doubt you've even played VF4e or T5...do you even play games at all btw? :p

Finaika

boutrosinit said:
VF vs Tekken would not happen unless Tekken tweaks its character moveset engine dramatically.
Or Virtua Fighter tweaks its character moveset engine dramatically.

jett said:
:lol Go back to discussing Nintendo DS sales, little buddy. I seriously doubt you've even played VF4e or T5...do you even play games at all btw? :p

No kidding.

Anyway, regarding Tekken/VF thing, the most interestingly simple yet huge difference would if Tekken changes to a block button like VF and it's Soul Calibur brethen, could really change the flow of fights since pressing back would not be an automatic block but just steping back. Plus having a block button makes it less defensive because people either have to move and block separate instead of just using a direction, could really make fights more dynamic.

All I know is after the stumble of Tekken 4 (though I still enjoyed playing it), but then back to awesomeness with Tekken 5, Namco was greatfully heading towards the right direction again....but then I saw what passed for Tekken PS3 and I became sad again. Get all the help you can get to get into gear with next generation Namco!!

razorman

Given Tekken's one button per limb system, as opposed to VF with just one punch and one kick button, I'm not sure how you would reach a compromise.

jarrod

Banned
jett said:
Actually, VF4e is the only console VF I've never owned. I'd sold off my PS2 by that point. :/

Tekken's trash. End of story.

jett

D-Member
jarrod said:
Actually, VF4e is the only console VF I've never owned. I'd sold off my PS2 by that point. :/

Tekken's trash. End of story.

You like Bloody Roar. End of story. lololololz.

Tekken is the greatest 3d Fighter of all time...

VF is NOTHING in comparison... this vs. game would be silly as VF sucks so bad that it would no doubt bring down the awesomness of Tekken.

VF sucks and takes no skill whatsoever to master.

Take it from me boys, I've been there and I've done it all!

Tekken is the true masters way!

Hunter D

I think its a stupid idea. VF and tekken are too different. Tekken is shallow in comparison to VF. VF is so deep that there isn't even midlevel VF play outside of japan.

Edit: And VF >>>>>>>>>> Tekken. Tekken is a decent bunch of games and nothing more. There isn't a 3D fighter that can touch VF.

jarrod

Banned
jett said:
You like Bloody Roar. End of story. lololololz.
It's okay, in that it's basically the only real flashy VF clone left now that FV's retired and DOA evolved into Counter or Alive. BR3/4 were rather assy, but BR1-2 were great. Better than Tekken 1-2 rather easily. ;)

At the least though, it'd pretty clearly make a cleaner crossover fighter with VF than Tekken would. So would DOA really. ****, I'd rather even VF vs Naruto GNT. Scamco needs to keep their filth to themselves.

Hunter D said:
I think its a stupid idea. VF and tekken are too different. Tekken is shallow in comparison to VF. VF is so deep that there isn't even midlevel VF play outside of japan.

VF is deep? No midlevel play outside of Japan?

Were you born retarded or did that happen after you found out about the internet?

Tekken is a much deeper game in terms of skills and movelists etc.

I suggest you actually master both games and then give us your opinion, even then it will be worthless!

Mugen

Banned
WhippinSean said:
Tekken is the greatest 3d Fighter of all time...

VF is NOTHING in comparison... this vs. game would be silly as VF sucks so bad that it would no doubt bring down the awesomness of Tekken.

VF sucks and takes no skill whatsoever to master.

Take it from me boys, I've been there and I've done it all!

Tekken is the true masters way!

That's right, people are so stupid to think that Tekken is trash. They are noobs who play arcade mode by themselves on easy difficulty and get owned by stage 2. Tekken>VF.

Hunter D

Finaika said:
Or Virtua Fighter tweaks its character moveset engine dramatically.
There is nothing to tweak in VF. The game is really balanced.

Whippin you don't know what you are talking about. Stick to Tekken with its 50% juggles, cheap wall game, and overpowered characters please.

At the end of the day fellas...

VF just doesn't play right or feel right.

This is coming from a guy who knows how to play a good game, you know?

Hunter D said:
There is nothing to tweak in VF. The game is really balanced.

Whippin you don't know what you are talking about. Stick to Tekken with its 50% juggles, cheap wall game, and overpowered characters please.

Oh, you mean the fun?

I like both but I like VF better. VF is just more ''normal'' and more ''comprehensible'' and more ''logical'' on most parts

Tekken requries too much weird button memorisation. Especially King, how many people here started have brain hemoragies after trying to memorise King's move sets? It's so freakin`painfull.

VF takes the logical aproch to throws. Standing throws are based from P+G and different directional inputs + P+G for the other standing throws.
Low throws (for charactrs with) are a down direction + P+K+G. It`s pretty straight forward making it more ''logical'' when learning a move set.

why are some throws in Tekken have the oddest button combination? it`s so freakin`head numbin

then you got some attack that have commands pressing 1+4 buttons or 2+3 buttons. then you go, what`s the logic behind this to perfomr this move? there isnt... making learning the movelsists a pain in the ass.

this is where VF shines better, the logic department

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
jarrod said:

Woah.

Tekken is far less...organic and natural than VF in just about all areas...

But it doesn't suck.

gutter_trash said:
I like both but I like VF better. VF is just more ''normal'' and more ''comprehensible'' and more ''logical'' on most parts

Tekken requries too much weird button memorisation. Especially King, how many people here started have brain hemoragies after trying to memorise King's move sets? It's so freakin`painfull.

VF takes the logical aproch to throws. Standing throws are based from P+G and different directional inputs + P+G for the other standing throws.
Low throws (for charactrs with) are a down direction + P+K+G. It`s pretty straight forward making it more ''logical'' when learning a move set.

why are some throws in Tekken have the oddest button combination? it`s so freakin`head numbin

then you got some attack that have commands pressing 1+4 buttons or 2+3 buttons. then you go, what`s the logic behind this to perfomr this move? there isnt... making learning the movelsists a pain in the ass.

this is where VF shines better, the logic department

Tekken's buttom combination is going to be strange for a VF player just on the basis that it uses more buttons. Each limb has a button function for it. But it doesn't mean its not logical. I've never really had problems playing Tekken, although I don't play with King at all. But that doesn't have to do with his buttom combinations, I just don't use bigger slower characters in fighting games.

This probably wouldn't work though, they really just too different. Still, they're both the 2 elite fighters of the genre. So its not surprising that someone would come up with the idea of putting those 2 together.

Hunter D

Let me just put this out there people. Remembering button combinations isn't depth at all. If depth was defined by remembering button combinations marvel vs capcom and killer instinct would be the seen as the two deepest fighters around.

sugarhigh4242 said:
would that really work? those gameplay styles seem incompatible.
I don't see how it could with out too much compromise on one side or both to the point where it doesn't look like Tekken or Vurtua Fighter. Were not talking Street Fighter and SNK here.

jarrod

Banned
If SEGA wants to whore around VF, it should be to other platforms, not to a shitty Scamco collab. Give me...

-Virtua Fighter 5 for 360
-Virtua Fighter 4: Final Tuned for PSP
-Virtua Fighter Kids DS
-Virtua Fighter 2.1 for XBLA

jarrod

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
Who's saying Sega wants to whore around VF? This is NAMCO talking, not Sega.
Well, SEGA probably should whore VF around a little more considering it's what, their 3rd most important consumer IP? Sonic and Monkey Ball got the star treatment, what's holding VF up?

jarrod said:
Well, SEGA probably should whore VF around a little more considering it's what, their 3rd most important consumer IP? Sonic and Monkey Ball got the star treatment, what's holding VF up?

Star treatment? As in ran through the mud? I think VFQ showed them they don't need to be whoring VF and that they're better off releasing it how they had been in the past.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
jarrod said:

they're reducing the number of ring-out possibilities in virtua fighter.
sega wants their top franchises to rely on the concept that people dislike falling off things.

jarrod

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
Star treatment? As in ran through the mud? I think VFQ showed them they don't need to be whoring VF and that they're better off releasing it how they had been in the past.
I think Quest showed them that getting TOSE to make a Pokecloned adventure game is probably a bad idea, but we really haven't seen VF whored yet. It worked wonderfully for Sonic commercially (Heroes & Shadow were huge), I expect it probably would for VF as well (particularly given PS3's initially limited potential base and the hungry PSP/DS markets)... plus if AM2's doesn't want to bother themselves, they have a wonderfully suitable port powerhouse in Sumo.

jarrod said:
It worked wonderfully for Sonic commercially (Heroes & Shadow were huge),

I see, so that's all you care about.

jarrod said:
plus if AM2's doesn't want to bother themselves, they have a wonderfully suitable port powerhouse in Sumo.

Notice that when the VF talks about their games they're always talking about keeping a certain quality with the series (especially when discussing it going online)? After VF3 they aren't going to let other devs screw with their franchise even if it's a respectable one. That's how it should be.

jarrod

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
I see, so that's all you care about.
Not at all, but I do care about SEGA's bottom line. How many times can they get rescued by a Pachinko maker?

I *really* care about getting to play VF5 though. Similarly, all you seem to care mainly about is exclusivity bragging rights.

SolidSnakex said:
Notice that when the VF talks about their games they're always talking about keeping a certain quality with the series (especially when discussing it going online)? After VF3 they aren't going to let other devs screw with their franchise even if it's a respectable one. That's how it should be.
They let TOSE already, one of the least respectable shovelware houses in Asia. VF3's problem was that it was rooted in AM2's own SH series code from the Saturn build... Genki did a great job considering the resource constraints they were under (limited timetable, incomplete hardware/tools, Saturn code, etc), so good in fact that AM2 then handed them Virtua Striker 2's conversion.

AM2's also let Sumo handle Outrun already, and they handed After Burner PSP to Planet Moon of all people, I doubt they'd have an insurmountable problem with another dev tackling 360/PSP/DS/XBLA ports of their VF back catalog (barring a potential PS3 moneyhat for VF5). Their focus should be LindBergh anyway, moving into the consumer space is usually a waste of AM2's time.

Mato

Namco Bandai to buy Sega confirmed

beelzebozo said:
isn't sega whoring everything but virtua fighter these days?

No, there's plenty of space for improvement (Shenmue, Nights)

jarrod said:
I *really* care about getting to play VF5 though. Similarly, all you seem to care mainly about is exclusivity bragging rights.

That's your problem that you aren't get the console that Sega put it exclusively on.

jarrod said:
AM2's also let Sumo handle Outrun already, and they handed After Burner PSP to Planet Moon of all people, I doubt they'd have an insurmountable problem with another dev tackling 360/PSP/DS/XBLA ports of their VF back catalog (barring a potential PS3 moneyhat for VF5). Their focus should be LindBergh anyway, moving into the consumer space is usually a waste of AM2's time.

Yah i'd say that VF and Outrun/Afterburner are held at different levels of importance.

Hunter D said:
Let me just put this out there people. Remembering button combinations isn't depth at all. If depth was defined by remembering button combinations marvel vs capcom and killer instinct would be the seen as the two deepest fighters around.

Well, I wouldn't think people would use such an argument solely. Well eitherway, people do memorize move lists and combinations there of to get better, trick is when and how to use them in conjuction with whats there. Tekken and VF have a crap load of move lists in the end to pratice and memorize with.

Doing the same moves over and over is predictability and outside of trying to learn button timings Tekkens 10 hit strings are just for show, don't really bother to use them. Chain throws are tough but then the combinations aren't easy anyway so it's a payoff for someone like King who I use to be decent with but totally suck at now. The real meat is the juggle systems and what moves are key to your command to knockdown, counter, stagger, etc... having certain priorities since that's where you can get real creative.

jarrod

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
That's your problem that you aren't get the console that Sega put it exclusively on.
I already got one next gen console, why should I bother with a second? VF5's about the only strong draw personally, what's so bad about SEGA potnetially spreading their top game to as many consumers as possible? More importantly, what's your problem with potentially broken exclusivity anyway? Why do you want so badly for VF5 to be PS3 only?

SolidSnakex said:
Yah i'd say that VF and Outrun/Afterburner are held at different levels of importance.
Maybe... at the least though, it shows AM2 isn't afraid of working with outside talent. I'm still mystified how quality ports would degrade VF's significance anyway though... it might be nice to have more than a base of 6 million people who can pick up the game. ;)

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
jarrod, you're making about as much sense as having people saying Gears of War should be on PS3.

VF5 is only on PS3, get over it.

Top Bottom