• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Producer:"I would like to make a Virtua Fighter-Tekken game.We've some ideas!"

jarrod

Banned
davepoobond said:
jarrod, you're making about as much sense as having people saying Gears of War should be on PS3.

VF5 is only on PS3, get over it.
Well, if VF5 were a Sony alone funded project, and they were also handling publishing/promotion/advertising and other associated overhead, then sure I'd understand why it'd remain exclusive. As a 3rd party made, 3rd party produced, 3rd party published product though... exclusivity makes little sense, particularly when it's going to launch on a smaller base. It's like saying Dead Rising or Eternal Sonata should remain 360 exclusive.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
jarrod said:
Well, if VF5 were a Sony alone funded project, and they were also handling publishing/promotion/advertising and other associated overhead, then sure I'd understand why it'd remain exclusive. As a 3rd party made, 3rd party produced, 3rd party published product though... exclusivity makes little sense, particularly when it's going to launch on a smaller base. It's like saying Dead Rising or Eternal Sonata should remain 360 exclusive.

fine, bioshock

but that's besides the point.

jarrod said:
I already got one next gen console, why should I bother with a second? VF5's about the only strong draw personally, what's so bad about SEGA potnetially spreading their top game to as many consumers as possible? More importantly, what's your problem with potentially broken exclusivity anyway? Why do you want so badly for VF5 to be PS3 only?

Well I don't really have to "want" it to be PS3 only, it is. Just like any other generation if you want to completely enjoy it you're going ot need to own all systems because exlcusives exists. And VF5 is one such exclusive.

Orobi

WTF... They can try to make a big crossover without any polygon.... JUST 2D!!!!!
Not joking, I think a game like that will be a must.

jarrod

Banned
davepoobond said:
fine, bioshock

but that's besides the point.
Not really... again, I'm not lamenting not being able to play Lair or Heavenly Sword here. Your GOW comparison is really in no way applicable.

SolidSnakex said:
Well I don't really have to "want" it to be PS3 only, it is.
And yet, you still do... more than anything it seems.

Personally, I'd be more than happy to see stuff like Dead Rising, Bioshock and Cry-On make their way to PS3. Great games deserve to reach as large an audience as possible, and that goes doubly for Virtua Fighter 5.

Pimpwerx

I'd buy 16 copies of this game. My two favorite fighting games. VF for sheer technical prowess, and Tekken for being some of the most complete home fighting games ever. Give me Sega's great fighting engine, and Namco's commitment to home ports, and we'll have the ultimate fighting game. For real, if it's one thing Sega needs to do with VF, it's make an effort to throw in some extra. This is where Tekken absolutely kills VF. Probably the only thing I think Tekken gets right over VF. PEACE.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
jarrod said:
Not really... again, I'm not lamenting not being able to play Lair or Heavenly Sword here. Your GOW comparison is really in no way applicable.

what's it matter what specific title it is and the clout behind it? the end result is that its a game that's only on one console and you're loathing the fact its only on one console.

Pimpwerx

jarrod said:
Except the Wii is for retards...or at least not for anyone serious about fighters, and the 360 is DOA in Japan, which is VF's prime stomping grounds. I don't think the series ever sold worth a damn in the West, but I'm sure you'll just NPD me to death now. :lol PEACE.

jarrod

Banned
davepoobond said:
what's it matter what specific title it is and the clout behind it?
Because, being a 3rd party title, there's at least a chance of seeing VF5 or Bioshock make the rounds. With 1st party fare like GOW or Lair, you remove any possibility of that.

Wanting VF5 on 360 really isn't anything like wanting GOW on PS3, at least in terms of probablities.

jarrod

Banned
Pimpwerx said:
Except the Wii is for retards...or at least not for anyone serious about fighters, and the 360 is DOA in Japan, which is VF's prime stomping grounds. I don't think the series ever sold worth a damn in the West, but I'm sure you'll just NPD me to death now. :lol PEACE.
VF only sold better on SEGA platforms in Japan historically. VF4/Evo sold best in the USA, and I honestly wouldn't doubt they even sold better in Europe versus Japan.

Pimpwerx

jarrod said:
VF only sold better on SEGA platforms in Japan historically. VF4/Evo sold best in the USA, and I honestly wouldn't doubt they even sold better in Europe versus Japan.
Ah, thanks, jarrod. I thought you were gonna bludgeon me with numbers, but that's pretty informative. I think you've posted that info before, but it slipped my mind. I guess going multiplatform would be a good idea then. I'd like to see it just for the popularity of the franchise. More people should have access to VF. PEACE.

jarrod

Banned
Pimpwerx said:
Ah, thanks, jarrod. I thought you were gonna bludgeon me with numbers, but that's pretty informative. I think you've posted that info before, but it slipped my mind. I guess going multiplatform would be a good idea then. I'd like to see it just for the popularity of the franchise. More people should have access to VF. PEACE.
Totally agreed. Going multi did wonders for SC2 in terms of audience, I'd like to see VF5 get a similar push. Games this good shouldn't get limited by moneyhats. :(

Daigoro

Pimpwerx said:
I'd buy 16 copies of this game. My two favorite fighting games. VF for sheer technical prowess, and Tekken for being some of the most complete home fighting games ever. Give me Sega's great fighting engine, and Namco's commitment to home ports, and we'll have the ultimate fighting game. For real, if it's one thing Sega needs to do with VF, it's make an effort to throw in some extra. This is where Tekken absolutely kills VF. Probably the only thing I think Tekken gets right over VF. PEACE.

Huh? between VF4evo's Quest and the wealth of training modes, i dont see how T5 even comes close to the options VF4's home port has. Devil Within? no thanks. :lol unless im missing something, T5 dosent even have decent way to plow through the move list of each character a la VF and DOA.

ive only owned it for a few weeks, so i may be missing something here... but one of us is confused.

Daigoro said:
Huh? between VF4evo's Quest and the wealth of training modes, i dont see how T5 even comes close to the options VF4's home port has. Devil Within? no thanks. :lol unless im missing something, T5 dosent even have decent way to plow through the move list of each character a la VF and DOA.

ive only owned it for a few weeks, so i may be missing something here... but one of us is confused.

TekkenDR on PSP added in a command training option, although it was only for a selection of the move list, not sure why that is.

I definitely think you are right that with VF4/Evo Sega made great strides in filling out the home port experience, but I still think there's more they could do. For one thing I think they need to rework the whole character customisation setup. Sure in the arcades the idea of earning an item as a badge of pride works, but in the home enviroment, the lack of constistancy and predictability made it somewhat less meaningful. the vast majority of the items should be purchasable in the shop, and earning money shouldn't be a case of hoping that a prize fight will randomly show up to which you are dolled out a measly reward, money should be earned for every victory.

Top Bottom