• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

Anyone has a good gaming configuration for the LG B6? I tried DF's config and I did not like it. Also, what does the new B6 firmware update launched on 3/31 do?

KevinG

Is there a recommended motion setting for the B6 with animated films (namely hand drawn, not CG)?

Colors are incredible for The Princess and the Frog, but I can tell something is off motion wise.

vpance

The Panny UB900 (and 700?) with updated FW basically has what is an HDR brightness setting. Some Avforums people seem to be pretty happy with the results as it works far better as an option to brighten the image than using your TV's DC.

Can anyone recommend a 4k tv in the $2500-3000 range that would be a nice step up from my Samsung Ju60Un7100 in picture and hdr? 60-65 inches.

All the hdr spec stuff is over my head lol.

KevinG

Can anyone recommend a 4k tv in the $2500-3000 range that would be a nice step up from my Samsung Ju60Un7100 in picture and hdr? 60-65 inches.

All the hdr spec stuff is over my head lol.
You're going to hear a lot of "OLED" in this thread.

And that's the right answer.

J-Rzez

Yeah, the QLED and OLED is just another factor that complicates things.

QLED is just samsungs marketing machine in full on confuse the consumer mode because they don't have an OLED, review sites rank the OLEDs the highest for the past 2 years, and trying to justify the price of their lack luster 2017 line up thats fallen behind Sony and LG.

I have an X800 UHD player, and recommend it to anyone over the Samsung, Phillips, and one s. I'm not sure the quality of the new LG player, might be good. Naturally the Oppo is probably solid and a safe buy.

Who cares about the apps on them? I mean, come on. We have enough devices that do the same thing as is.

Ignore QLED. It's marketing. QLED is an edge-lit LED panel. It's a very nice one, but the inherent flaws of LED are all there. Backlight clouding, imperfect blacks, etc.

OLED is the way to go especially if you have that budget.

TLZ

Banned
Still at Firmware 4.30.65 on my 65 "LG OLED B6. The Chinese website doesn't even have the model listed on their site under downloads.
Tech support said, We are sorry but we don't know when. Sigh

Same issue in Australia. Still no hdr game update.

Games still play fine though.

TheBoss1

Don't be fooled by the term QLED. Samsung is marketing their TVs as competitors to OLED so when you see the term QLED next to OLED, they both look similar. In other words, Samsung's QLED is just an edge lit panel like 95% of other TVs made nowadays.

PrimeRib_

So oled is the best, but that sony tv is a regular led right? Is LG the only real maker using OLED? Their tv's seem to be highly rated on rtings.

LG makes most (if not all) the OLED panels, period. Sony's new OLED for example, has an LG panel. Clearly they have a vested interest in pushing the tech.

Gotcha.

So this tv is rtings best rated at 65"

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CDF9UTQ?tag=rtings-tv-st00a-20&ie=UTF8

Is it better than that previously mentioned Sony? That sony is their highest rated at 70" and is only 500 bucks more.

This one is the one Triz mentioned, the one Rtings have as best mid-range 55" and overall 70/75". https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N7XLYRF/?tag=neogaf0e-20

You might also want to take a look at the 2017 OLED models for LG, but since they just released, they are still quite expensive.

vpance

Panasonic DMP-UB400 4K Blu-ray Player Review - £299

Looks like another good choice for a mid range player. Playback is just as good as the 700 and 900 which HDTVTest have as their overall top pick in image quality.

Some more info on the Dynamic Range Adjustment setting:

The Panasonic DMP-UB400 also provides a [Dynamic Range Adjustment] setting for viewers who wish to brighten HDR images for daytime viewing. We’ve explained the reason why in a previous article, but 4K Blu-rays are generally unsuitable for consumption in the presence of significant ambient light due to how HDR10 code values are mastered in absolute luminance, yet there’s little to no headroom for displays to elevate brightness since [Backlight] and [Contrast] are normally maxed out in HDR mode to meet the peak brightness demands of high dynamic range material.

Some viewers resort to either engaging [Dynamic Contrast] on their HDR TVs, or increasing the [Contrast] setting on the 4K Blu-ray player itself. While both methods can work effectively to bump up APL (Average Picture Level), they typically also clip specular highlight detail (which is a key benefit of HDR). Panasonic’s [Dynamic Range Adjustment] approach instead cleverly applies YUV-to-RGB conversion before gain adjustments, allowing for brightening of APL without clipping specular highlights (to a certain degree).

The four [HDR Settings] options are merely presets with [Dynamic Range Adjustment] fixed at specific values:

“Standard” = [Dynamic Range Adjustment] “0“
“Natural Environment” = [Dynamic Range Adjustment] “+4“
“Light Environment” = [Dynamic Range Adjustment] “+8“
“Bright Environment” = [Dynamic Range Adjustment] “+11“

Although cranking [Dynamic Range Adjustment] up to maximum didn’t blow out bright highlights in a grey ramp test pattern that’s mastered to 1000 nits, in practice we did observe some clipping of coloured highlight detail in 4K Blu-ray films. As always, be judicious with the use of such a powerful control: we advise going with [HDR Settings] “Natural Environment” if you’re watching HDR in a non-dark room, maybe “Light Environment” at a stretch.

holygeesus

Banned
Think of it as shedding your skin throughout your life. Eventually your skin doesn't maintain the same elasticity or colour as it did when you were younger.
It's the same thing with OLED conditioning.

Every time you do it you're removing another layer which over time will actually make the image darker and darker. This is why that warning exists for end users.

Sony OLED TVs however, will do a screen check every night or after power loss to check the integrity of the panel and do what they call "pixel washing". I don't know exactly what it's doing but I know it's a lot less intense than doing the screen conditioning.

The 2016 LGs have exactly the same system in place. The shorter 'screen check' runs every time you turn the set off after 4 hours of cumulative use (you hear a small 'ping' when it is complete)

Is image retention on the oleds a real issue or something that's not going to really bother most people?

I'm leaning towards the B6 if I can get it, as it seems to be the best all around tv at 65", from what I can see atleast.

RedAssedApe

Banned
my 10 year old kuro wouldn't turn on for like 5 minutes earlier today. i was happy thinking i might be able to justify getting a 4k/hdr set. but then it started working again lol

J-Rzez

Juicy, but when's all the low end shit coming?

Sorry, I didn't ask them, just asked about the A1E since I'm planning on getting one. I assume you're talking about the 850/800E? Id imagine we'll see them soon as its just really those and Samsung's available. LGs leds are just now getting out there, haven't seen new vizios.

As sexy as the display is, I'm not crazy about the easel-like kickstand. A little too avant-garde for my tastes.

I don't wall mount, and my tv stand is a wide black metal frame unit with actually perfect height for the A1E. I slightly look down, so the tilt won't bother me. And I think its the prettiest designed tv out there outside the W7 but mix in that fugly soundbar and I think the Sony has the edge.

LilJoka

Is image retention on the oleds a real issue or something that's not going to really bother most people?

I'm leaning towards the B6 if I can get it, as it seems to be the best all around tv at 65", from what I can see atleast.

I haven't noticed any on my B6. I just turn it off if I leave the room. It's hooked up to my PC.

thuway

Dumb question - but is there any digital delivery system that has quality on par with UHD Bluray?

The idea of a unified content delivery system like Steam that catered to high bit rate digital downloads of film would be the dream.

LilJoka

Dumb question - but is there any digital delivery system that has quality on par with UHD Bluray?

The idea of a unified content delivery system like Steam that catered to high bit rate digital downloads of film would be the dream.

I don't think anybody offers a 50mbps stream legally.

Sorry, I didn't ask them, just asked about the A1E since I'm planning on getting one. I assume you're talking about the 850/800E? Id imagine we'll see them soon as its just really those and Samsung's available. LGs leds are just now getting out there, haven't seen new vizios.

Yeah I'm anxious for the lower end reviews to filter in.

The 900/930 aren't even available in Aus yet. No announced date, but the LG LED tvs are already on sale alongside their 2017 OLEDs. Annoying!

Anarion07

Resident Evil 7 shocked me yesterday.
In a way I didn't expect.

I suddenly saw some kind of image retention in the lower third of my B6. one horizontal line and a ~10 by 5 inch rectangle above it.
Strange thing is, it was gone in any other content. Just in RE7. And there is no menu or anything with that type of pattern.
Anyone have the same problem?

e90Mark

I recently did get an Xbox One S as a player, but it's actually quite "loud" during playback. Not as quiet as I'd like it to be, but maybe I need to test it more. I got it for under $200 new, so the value proposition definitely got me to buy it.

I'm looking at the players mentioned here, UB700, X800, UP970, etc. How important do you guys think DV support is? I'm a buyer of physical movies and do have a C6, so I feel like I would end up buying movies, but do you guys feel like your player supporting/not supporting DV is a deal breaker?

That was a thought I had come up, while thinking about whether to get a dedicated player that should be quieter than a game console.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I bought some bias lights for my VT60. Have had this tv for years and never used bias lights. I also never would play content with the lights out lol.

dragos495

for me, dolby vision as a requirement WILL decide what uhd player i get.

but not now. once the market starts adopting dolby vision, even saturated by it. when i see shelves full of uhd movies with dolby vision stickers on them, like i see with hdr now.

my one s is quiet as a church mouses fart. maybe yours overheats?
obviously i have my 5.1 turned up during movies, but i still havent heard the xbox, even before i start playing the movie. the only way i can tell its on is the light in the front.

I recently did get an Xbox One S as a player, but it's actually quite "loud" during playback. Not as quiet as I'd like it to be, but maybe I need to test it more. I got it for under $200 new, so the value proposition definitely got me to buy it.

I'm looking at the players mentioned here, UB700, X800, UP970, etc. How important do you guys think DV support is? I'm a buyer of physical movies and do have a C6, so I feel like I would end up buying movies, but do you guys feel like your player supporting/not supporting DV is a deal breaker?

That was a thought I had come up, while thinking about whether to get a dedicated player that should be quieter than a game console.

I don't think the Xbox will ever get DV support

vpance

Most likely said players will be updated with DV but it remains to be seen..

MazeHaze

Banned
I was surprised when playing bluray via ps4 on my KS8000 that the tv remote can control the ps4. How does this work? Super cool.

Madness

There are zero movies out with Dolby Vision mastering. All are mastered using HDR10. I think a few studios committed to adding Dolby Vision to their titles earlier this year, but none have come out.

I would save your money now, buy cheaper UHD players including the Xbox One S, which I guarantee you will be $149 this black friday. Hell just a while ago I saw the 500gb Battlefield 1 storm grey version for like $189. If you sold the game (easy $20+) and even the controller ($35-$40) and buy a media remote you are still good. Don't even use it for games. This is not a fanboy thing. I am telling you, the quality isn't dogshit like people are saying, and with a well calibrated display, honestly I could see little to no difference how my Mad Max UHD looked on my KS8000 or how it looked on my cousin's husbands KS8000 which I calibrated to d65 as well. Obviously his Oppo is better and a bit quieter but hundreds more.

I would say get the Sony 800 standalone if you really need one now, but DV should be a requirement when you actually see discs mastered in it, possibly next year or later and that is when HDMI 2.1 comes which is what you would want on your UHD blu-ray player as well. No need to splurge this year.

I was surprised when playing bluray via ps4 on my KS8000 that the tv remote can control the ps4. How does this work? Super cool.

The KS8000 can control almost anything including your set top box. Never seen such quality universak technology. Easily found my canadian set top model etc. I didn't give MS permission, but I wonder if the voice commands could control Cortana to a connected PC or Xbox One.

Yukstin

It remains to be seen when actual UHD DV discs will hit the market. They were promised from Universal and Warner this year at CES but not date other than 2017.

DV will provide a better image than HDR10 but if there are only a few discs, what's the point? UHD is already super niche as is.

I've always had a dedicated player for DVD and blu-ray. I never liked using consoles to play movies.

Yukstin

HDMI CEC. It can either work great or terribly, not a lot of middle ground. Usually works well when the devices are directly connected and the same brand. I have all sorts of problems with my HDMI link through my AV receiver so I only have the TV and receiver enabled for audio return. I manually control the other devices with their individual remotes. Less than ideal but if I had everything enabled my devices just like to turn on and switch inputs randomly.

What is the best most affordable UHD Blu ray player on the market? Xone S!? Also any website with 4k movie rentals? Fucking hell there is not enough content available

e90Mark

Thanks, guys. Appreciate the responses. I think I will hang onto the Xbox then revisit the players once DV physicals become a thing. I may just pump the money into a sound system to drown the thing out instead, lol.

What is the best most affordable UHD Blu ray player on the market? Xone S!? Also any website with 4k movie rentals? Fucking hell there is not enough content available

It really is the One S. Coming in consistently under $200 USD, and with how you can sell off the extras.

But if you read the last couple pages, there is a discussion on whether it's actually a good player. Just on pure value, it can't be beat after selling off extras. Otherwise, it comes close to some 2016 dedicated players in price.

nillapuddin

How feverishly should I be in pursuit of a 2016 B6 65" right now?

Causally look once a week, aka I've got a few months

Or

Obsessive searching, gotta find one very soon

Xbox one S is definitely the cheapest but it's also the worst on the market. If you're movie enthusiast with a proper home theater. The Xbox one S as a UHD player is not for you.

holygeesus

Banned

Not sure what country you are in but the Samsung UBDK8500 can be had for about £220 here in the UK and I would take that every time over the Xbox S.

Edit - £189 delivered for a refurbished model on Amazon.

ShapeGSX

Not sure what country you are in but the Samsung UBDK8500 can be had for about £220 here in the UK and I would take that every time over the Xbox S.

Edit - £189 delivered for a refurbished model on Amazon.

I have had that Samsung player since launch. It does absolutely incredible things with regular Blu-Ray upscaling, too.

Top Bottom