• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

NYR

I was wondering if I could get some help here picking a TV for Boxing day for my new house: I will list them with price and was wondering if I could get an opinion on the best options given, I am also a gamer mind you if that helps narrow it down:

Walmart: 58" Samsung Smart TV, 1080p, 60HZ, 2XHDMI, 2X USB UN58H5202, $698.00

Superstore: 60" Sony Smart LED TV, 1080p, KDL60W630, $898.00

Best Buy: 55" Sharp Roku Smart Tv, LED, 1080p, DTS Trusound, built in WIFI
43L420U, 499.99

Best Buy: 50" Samsung 4K HDR UHD Smart LED TV, Motion Rate 120, Built in WIFI HDR
UN50KU627OFXZC 699.99

Thanks, if possible positives and negatives for some but what would be the better purchase.
I would go with the last one, especially as a gamer. HDR is going to be a keystone for gaming for the next 5 years and it is 4K whereas the others are not so it is a tad more future proof.

Definitely don't spend $900 on a non 4K TV like that Sony. You can say you won't need 4K but if you use Netflix, pay the extra $2 a month and use the smart tv app to watch in 4K.

Best Buy has an 55" LG HDR 4K for $899 (55UH6150), I would go with that one personally, or pay the extra $100 for the 60" that is 50% off on the front page of the flyer (60UH6030).

Theonik

I thought I read somewhere that their new IPS panels were not for end user but rather enterprises?
They will almost definitely go on pro monitors. Panasonic is moving away from consumer display in general now but we don't know if they plan to release it in some form for the consumer market this year.

SOLDIER

Now that I'm on holiday break, I wanted to take the time to work on my TV settings a little. I used a picture to adjust the black/brightness settings, so I wanted to know if there was a similar image I could open up through my PS4 and Xbox's internet explorer to fine-tune the color settings under ISF presets.

lionpants

I've got a new OLED TV.

I have the ISF mode calibrated and now need to calibrate HDR Standard and Game mode.

Do you guys just use the same settings from ISF for the other video modes?

Kambing

The most exciting thing to potentially come out of a HDMI 2.1/3.0 announcement is variable refresh rates. The benefits this would bring to movies, television and gaming is in my opinion greater than anything else in the pipeline. Imagine a world where refresh rates are dictated by content and software, not tied to a displays fixed refresh interval.

A TV show can be shot at 45 FPS.
A movie can run 24, 48 or 72 FPS.
Games play at the FPS they generate, no more tied to 30 or 60FPS.
All the while producing no judder or tearing, at any FPS.
Unlike Gsync, it wouldn't be hardware/gpu specific.

For video content creators, i often wonder how limiting of a factor 24 FPS is for creativity? As a musician, i liken it to being asked to create with a specific set of notes, as opposed to my instrument and imagination being the limit.

But console gaming would benefit most for me as a user. The majority of games that are locked to 30FPS often far exceed that frame rate, perhaps falling between 40-45 fps most of the time. Ratchet and UC4 probably run way above 30FPS most of the time. I'd love to have a smoother experience when playing games. Developers i imagine dislike the all or nothing mentality when it comes to frame rate; the gap between 30 and 60 FPS is huge, any number between the two should be fine. A game might be 45 or even 50 FPS but needs to be locked to 30 FPS for a smooth experience. The whole debacle of TLOU dropping frames in pro mode would cease, as that was centered around the artifact dropped frames create on a fixed refresh interval display.

The most exciting thing to potentially come out of a HDMI 2.1/3.0 announcement is variable refresh rates. The benefits this would bring to movies, television and gaming is in my opinion greater than anything else in the pipeline. Imagine a world where refresh rates are dictated by content and software, not tied to a displays fixed refresh interval.

Please, let it be so.

III-V

Is 2.1 going to require new cables, or is it going to use existing High Speed cables with a firmware update?

Some speculation is that it is a firmware update only, and that the existing 2.0 cables should fit the bill. There could, of course, be hardware that cannot be updated with a firmware update. Samsung, at least, has given some indication that this is the case.

We won't know for sure until it drops.

trixx

Whats up with the curved displays? I haven't seen them in person but my brother and Father wanted to get a curved 4k samsung display for some reason. Caught their eyes I guess, can be wall mounted? Seems weird to me.

Sorry I know nothing about tv's

My dad was thinking of getting this:
Samsung 65" 4K Ultra HD Curved LED Tizen Smart TV

The Beard

Whats up with the curved displays? I haven't seen them in person but my brother and Father wanted to get a curved 4k samsung display for some reason. Caught their eyes I guess, can be wall mounted? Seems weird to me.

Sorry I know nothing about tv's

My dad was thinking of getting this:
Samsung 65" 4K Ultra HD Curved LED Tizen Smart TV

They suck.

They draw people in because, "Wow, that's different." But it's just a stupid gimmick that has the worst screen reflections I've ever seen.

BumRush

Some speculation is that it is a firmware update only, and that the existing 2.0 cables should fit the bill. There could, of course, be hardware that cannot be updated with a firmware update. Samsung, at least, has given some indication that this is the case.

We won't know for sure until it drops.

Thanks! Updating cables is annoying as hell in the new house.

21x2

EU:
So I'm looking at the post-Christmas deals and I'm torn between Samsung KS7005 and KS8005 (KS8000 and KS9000 in the US, correspondingly). Prices are about 1000 USD vs 1100 USD.
It seems like the differences between the two are very minor, but right now the prices are very close as well. Is the KS8005/KS9000 worth another 100 bucks?

Or alternatively, do you think it would be better to wait until CES for even deeper sales?

So basically, would I be right in thinking that I should ignore sales now and wait for my Birthday in early February and try to claw enough together for OLED then...

EDIT especially with the fact that I can get CES 17 out the way in Jan and also in the UK they're doing free Sky Q (Sky TV in UHD 4K) for free for a year with the TV's?

III-V

So basically, would I be right in thinking that I should ignore sales now and wait for my Birthday in early February and try to claw enough together for OLED then...

EDIT especially with the fact that I can get CES 17 out the way in Jan and also in the UK they're doing free Sky Q (Sky TV in UHD 4K) for free for a year with the TV's?

sounds like level headed thinking

holygeesus

Banned
Interesting article from OLED Info about LG's new 2017 OLED TVs and lighting.

http://www.oled-info.com/lg-introduce-3-stack-structure-its-2017-oled-lighting-and-tv-panels

For its OLED Tvs, the new stack structure enabled LG to increase its color gamut from 114% sRGB to 129% sRGB (or from 90% DCI to 99% DCI). The power consumption was improved by 20% and LG will be able to ship OLED TVs that feature 1,000 nits of brightness in 2017.

Yes pls.

A 10% improvement? Seems pretty 'meh'.

III-V

http://www.oled-info.com/lg-introduce-3-stack-structure-its-2017-oled-lighting-and-tv-panels

For its OLED Tvs, the new stack structure enabled LG to increase its color gamut from 114% sRGB to 129% sRGB (or from 90% DCI to 99% DCI). The power consumption was improved by 20% and LG will be able to ship OLED TVs that feature 1,000 nits of brightness in 2017.

Yes pls.

Increased color gamut and meeting Ultra HD Premium minimum nits specification (~2X the previous nits) and extended panel life? Now we are talking. Going to look insane with these contrast ratios. Just needs a price drop.

Nobility

Banned
Increased color gamut and meeting Ultra HD Premium minimum nits specification (~2X the previous nits) and extended panel life? Now we are talking. Going to look insane with these contrast ratios. Just needs a price drop.

Agreed.

Just give me a great Canadian price and I'm buying in 2017.

NYR

Agreed.

Just give me a great Canadian price and I'm buying in 2017.
Prices in canada are only going to get worse. The forecasts for the loonie are very, very bearish. Expect a 70 cent dollar by the end of Q1 and back in to the high 60s in to the new year. Trumpnomics and a lack of a major oil recovery will hurt the Canadian economy.

Deepo

Yes pls.

LG better let us switch off the wide color gamut in SDR game mode then. Colors are already over saturated in game mode on current models, don't need 10% more of that.

Nobility

Banned
Prices in canada are only going to get worse. The forecasts for the loonie are very, very bearish. Expect a 70 cent dollar by the end of Q1 and back in to the high 60s in to the new year. Trumpnomics and a lack of a major oil recovery will hurt the Canadian economy.

It's a risk I have to take, I can only hope the prices stay low enough until the end of next year.

Not expecting much based on forecasts but as long as there is some hope, I'm holding out.

III-V

LG better let us switch off the wide color gamut in SDR game mode then. Colors are already over saturated in game mode on current models, don't need 10% more of that.

You are saying that game mode forces Rec.2020 in SDR? That would be completely broken.

I don't have this set, but are you sure lol?

Deepo

You are saying that game mode forces Rec.2020 in SDR? That would be completely broken.

I'm not sure exactly what wide means in SDR, but it looks kind of like a monitor with Adobe RGB color space displaying SRGB content, if you're familiar with that. Overly saturated. It might be that the expanded gamut on the 2017 models won't affect this, I might be spouting BS. I still hope they let us turn down the color gamut in game mode though.

A 10% improvement? Seems pretty 'meh'.

It's probably going to get harder and harder to increase color gamut as we meet DCI and then move toward Rec.2020.

2016 TVs at least getting a firmware update for HLG HDR would be incredible. I realize Dynamic HDR10 may be off the table.

III-V

I'm not sure exactly what wide means in SDR, but it looks kind of like a monitor with Adobe RGB color space displaying SRGB content, if you're familiar with that. Overly saturated. It might be that the expanded gamut on the 2017 models won't affect this, I might be spouting BS. I still hope they let us turn down the color gamut in game mode though.

Sure, I can visualize what you are talking about. No doubt, a wider color gamut should be off the table for SDR content. Are you gaming on PC or a console? Consoles should only send Rec 709 for SDR, so the color gamut should equal that or maybe normal or standard. Otherwise, you will blow out your colors, as they will be improperly mapped into the Rec 2020 colorspace.

If the color is still blown out with a normal colorspace, then simply use a set-up disc with the color/tint adjustments and set them appropriately. Also, a video level mismatch (some LG's had this issue in games) can cause oversaturated colors, as well as black crush.

It's probably going to get harder and harder to increase color gamut as we meet DCI and then move toward Rec.2020.

2016 TVs at least getting a firmware update for HLG HDR would be incredible. I realize Dynamic HDR10 may be off the table.

There are some reports of very high end displays next year reaching 98% of Rec 2020, so don't loose hope yet. Without RGB lasers, we are unlikely to reach 100% anytime soon.

Yes pls.

Oh my

2CCkAWwlYnbH2.gif

holygeesus

Banned

I'm still waiting to see how the price increase equates to it being worthwhile upgrading my B6. I have a bad feeling that we won't be seeing the more wallet-friendly OLED option next time round.

Kyoufu

HLG HDR is for broadcast television, right? Do you see broadcast TV networks actually implementing HDR? Because I don't see it taking off any time soon. By the time it does, I'll probably have a new TV anyway. Meh :|

1000 nits is what I expected from LG's 2017 OLEDs.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson

no it handles the colorspace correctly.

LG's "color gamut" settings are just mislabeled basically and are where it maps the colors inside the correct colorspace.

The colors are incorrect though due to that wide mapping and start at a much more saturated point under "wide" then they do "normal" so it's a bit more of a bear to calibrate game mode than it is ISF. The ability to set color gamut to normal there would let you get Game Mode pretty close to ISF without having to adjust colors, but alas.

Nothing that isn't fixable, just means you're starting at a completely different point with the colors.

Yes pls.

Isn't Samsung planning to announce TVs with 100% Rec.2020 coverage this year?

III-V

Isn't Samsung planning to announce TVs with 100% Rec.2020 coverage this year?

More likely 100% P3

no it handles the colorspace correctly.

LG's "color gamut" settings are just mislabeled basically and are where it maps the colors inside the correct colorspace.

The colors are incorrect though due to that wide mapping and start at a much more saturated point under "wide" then they do "normal" so it's a bit more of a bear to calibrate game mode than it is ISF. The ability to set color gamut to normal there would let you get Game Mode pretty close to ISF without having to adjust colors, but alas.

Nothing that isn't fixable, just means you're starting at a completely different point with the colors.

That needs to get fixed. No doubt there's an army with an over saturated mess thinking that is how it looks. Particularly disappointing when you think of the cost of entry. I thought they had recently patched game mode to reduce input lag, why on earth they did not fix that is beyond me.

Next years LG OLEDs will be the stuff of 2016 legends if today's news is to be believed.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
Samsung gonna get mopped up hard in 2017.

- There QLED development plans are a mess and they have no idea when the new display tech will be ready.

Sony planning to release OLED displays (using 2017 LG Panels) in 2017.

LG's panels for 2017 are gonna be stunning with better HDR support & maybe even HFR (I've seen rumours of this for months and months now so we find out soon)

Panasonic will have another OLED display ready for Europe, Australia and so on too. (I doubt U.S will get it)

Theonik

Technically, maybe. But they must be absolutely cleaning up the <£1000 market here in the UK as every Tom, Dick and Harry seems to buy Sammy and they're TV deals consistently have high-ratings on HUKD.
There isn't that much money in that market though, and those deals hurt makers more than help them if you can't convert those in market share in the long run.

Top Bottom