• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

TheBoss1

Hi guys. I am looking into getting a good 55 inch TV for my PS4 pro and I was wondering if this LG 4k TV is good enough. Thanks

OLED or bust when it comes to LG sets. IPS panels have terrible contrast ratios and that's all LG uses in their LED TVs. I'm not sure about LG's input lag but from the few I've seen reviews of they either have above average or terrible lag.

For that same price you can get the superior Samsung KS8000 which has low input lag and a better contrast ratio... Or you can wait til January to see what new sets are coming out that will probably be better.

EDIT: After checking out the review of that LG on rtings.com, it seems to be a decent TV for gaming because the input lag is low. I would still pick the Samsung over it for the same reasons listed above. The only thing that TV is better at is viewing angles, but who play games at off angles?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Man, if LG gets consumer wallpaper OLED's out next year, that would be a game changer.

You could stick a magnet to the wall and just place the TV to that. You won't have to install TV stand anymore.

For bigger TV's it will be easy to place in Apartments without drilling into the wall or worrying about support.

You could rotate the display to play a bullet hell game.

Kyoufu

Man, if LG gets consumer wallpaper OLED's out next year, that would be a game changer.

You could stick a magnet to the wall and just place the TV to that. You won't have to install TV stand anymore.

For bigger TV's it will be easy to place in Apartments without drilling into the wall or worrying about support.

You'll run away in horror after you watch the setup video guide.

Looks like you still have to drill a few holes to attach the magnetic mat though.

Trojita

You'll run away in horror after you watch the setup video guide.

I saw it before posting, but I think they will be streamlining it. I lol'd at someone posting in the comments that it looks so easy to setup.

Theonik

Good article that shows how infantile current consumer HDR displays are (and even moreso for those who insist on per-pixel lighting for black level and uniformity).

Even if I buy a 2017 or 2018 panel, I expect it to get utterly destroyed by new displays by 2021.
This is the reality of all TV buying. Though the LCDs we got in 2016 are not fully realised versions of what can be accomplished. With Sony, the 75" and especially the 100" ZD9s are more capable displays but with the exception of the later are not actually comparable to the CES samples last year.

This is the reality of all TV buying. Though the LCDs we got in 2016 are not fully realised versions of what can be accomplished. With Sony, the 75" and especially the 100" ZD9s are more capable displays but with the exception of the later are not actually comparable to the CES samples last year.

I don't disagree with you. It's funny though because some people think buying a 4K HDR set in 2016 is somehow future proofing.

LCD also has a long way to go, even longer IMO. They might be ahead in HDR but they are behind in other respects.

Trojita

It's not even the output ability in nits and black levels that is fucked, it's the different versions of HDR.

Dolby Vision is barely a thing and only like 2 TV Makers are including compatibility with it.

Kaako

Felium Defensor

Their top of the line 77" W-line next year is based on their wallpaper OLED tech. So I believe that 77" next year will be the consumer wallpaper OLED you're talking about. They'll have it available with only the glass bezel I believe or the panel itself which is bendable(not fully sure on this part). CES is looking bright. :)

holygeesus

Banned
I don't disagree with you. It's funny though because some people think buying a 4K HDR set in 2016 is somehow future proofing.

LCD also has a long way to go, even longer IMO. They might be ahead in HDR but they are behind in other respects.

There is no such thing as future proofing. Every time I watch a film now, on my B6 I am blown away by the image quality. Future sets will be better for sure, but enjoying the moment here.

Theonik

It's not even the output ability in nits and black levels that is fucked, it's the different versions of HDR.

Dolby Vision is barely a thing and only like 2 TV Makers are including compatibility with it.
That's more because DV is a massive markup for little to no benefit for TV makers.

Even the consumer benefit is sketchy but for set makers it means they pay to not be able to differentiate their sets.

Joni

Stupid question: Is there a reason to go for a television instead of a monitor outside of the need for a remote?

magash

OLED or bust when it comes to LG sets. IPS panels have terrible contrast ratios and that's all LG uses in their LED TVs. I'm not sure about LG's input lag but from the few I've seen reviews of they either have above average or terrible lag.

For that same price you can get the superior Samsung KS8000 which has low input lag and a better contrast ratio... Or you can wait til January to see what new sets are coming out that will probably be better.

EDIT: After checking out the review of that LG on rtings.com, it seems to be a decent TV for gaming because the input lag is low. I would still pick the Samsung over it for the same reasons listed above. The only thing that TV is better at is viewing angles, but who play games at off angles?

Cheers mate. Thanks

BumRush

Their top of the line 77" W-line next year is based on their wallpaper OLED tech. So I believe that 77" next year will be the consumer wallpaper OLED you're talking about. They'll have it available with only the glass bezel I believe or the panel itself which is bendable(not fully sure on this part). CES is looking bright. :)

How many nits?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I saw it before posting, but I think they will be streamlining it. I lol'd at someone posting in the comments that it looks so easy to setup.

I want prices to come down so we can install wall size (or at least projector screen size) screens on the wall. Then we'll need better software to drive them - I don't always want to watch the news with a talking head bigger than my own. Let me watch TV in a small window in the middle, and have other information around the edges like the weather or traffic in the morning; or simply a wallpaper pattern or paintings. Then when I watch a movie or drama I can make it expand to fill the screen

So I have a curiosity. What is next for movie theatre projection and screens?

I mean sure they can get brighter, but the issues with projection from blooming, to light reflection and sub par black levels will always be present. I can't imagine it makes sense to make actual displays that large for general theatre either. So is the answer/step some kind of coated, reactive screens. Maybe some kind of screen with a filament, filigree or film that reacts to imperceptible light waves and illuminates specific sections? Is it a Holo projection/photon answer maybe with something like Magic Leap and glasses? I'm really fascinated to know what people think or maybe have heard about the future of projection.

I'm cherishing my Panny Plasma until it dies.

...then, I'll cry. :x Hopefully OLED is reasonably priced by then.

I'm the same way, but price is no factor. Current OLED is a negligible upgrade over my Kuro at best. At this point I'm hoping my plasma lasts at least three more years, and OLED can at least do passable HDR.

So I have a curiosity. What is next for movie theatre projection and screens?

I mean sure they can get brighter, but the issues with projection from blooming, to light reflection and sub par black levels will always be present. I can't imagine it makes sense to make actual displays that large for general theatre either. So is the answer/step some kind of coated, reactive screens. Maybe some kind of screen with a filament, filigree or film that reacts to imperceptible light waves and illuminates specific sections? Is it a Holo projection/photon answer maybe with something like Magic Leap and glasses? I'm really fascinated to know what people think or maybe have heard about the future of projection.

I watched Rogue One in Dolby Cinema (laser projected). I think as the lasers get stronger they'll be able to use less reflective screens that don't show as much ambient light.

BumRush

We're less than a week from CES. I cannot wait to see 2017 OLEDs.

Like others, my Panny Plasma is still going strong and has an amazing picture but I think I'm ready for 4K (or will be by the holidays next year).

I'm the same way, but price is no factor. Current OLED is a negligible upgrade over my Kuro at best. At this point I'm hoping my plasma lasts at least three more years, and OLED can at least do passable HDR.

I watched Rogue One in Dolby Cinema (laser projected). I think as the lasers get stronger they'll be able to use less reflective screens that don't show as much ambient light.

Gotcha. Yea all the theatre near me are using DLP laser projectors. Which is great. But the black levels certainly aren't at the high end LCD or OLED levels. I still love going to theatres but I feel the best IQ now is on high end home sets. My brother wants a projector though as he doesn't play many games. Getting a good affordable one is a nightmare though so he'll just rent a higher end on occasional split amongst friends and host viewing parties.

holygeesus

Banned
Current OLED is a negligible upgrade over my Kuro at best. At this point I'm hoping my plasma lasts at least three more years, and OLED can at least do passable HDR.

erm, no, no it isn't. The B6 blows away my Kuro. Also, I can guarantee that the current OLEDs do a better job with HDR than your Pioneer.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Hoping for FALD at lower price levels, and sonys slim backlight local dimming to hit low/mid range sets, with OLED slotting in somewhere.

So eg 2017 x800d would get the backlight from the x930d, the 930d might get the zd9 backlighting and the zd9 becomes OLED..?

thisbeard

Just wondering if anyone has experience with the Sony X800D 49" (xbr49x800d). I did some research and read the rtings review (though I think that one was for the 43"?) but I would appreciate if anyone has anything, good or bad, to say about it. Haven't had a new tv since an old LG 32" 1080 (?) P from years ago so I'm looking forward to not having to squint!

The Sony TV was the nicer, flatter, design compared to the LG 4K smart TV 55" and Samsung entry level 4K. I can't justify the jump to OLED but I still want a quality TV. Thinking of getting the Sony one and 49" because the wider viewing angle but I heard the blacks are not great. I doubt I would notice but...can anyone weigh in on this? Cheers!

I am weighing up the Samsung KS7000 55" as it is just £849 from either Currys or John Lewis.

Should I?

Personally it's what I did, (KS8000 in the U.S) it's a great stopover TV. I definitely plan to jump to OLED in the future, but I can't justify the cost given that HDR amongst things like bandwidth limitations for 4k aren't really settled yet.

It's a really great set for the price. I got it USD for $720 before tax 55” and I've been extremely happy.

Matty8787

Personally it's what I did, (KS8000 in the U.S) it's a great stopover TV. I definitely plan to jump to OLED in the future, but I can't justify the cost given that HDR amongst things like bandwidth limitations for 4k aren't really settled yet.

It's a really great set for the price. I got it USD for $720 before tax 55” and I've been extremely happy.

Nice one cheers.

III-V

Just wondering if anyone has experience with the Sony X800D 49" (xbr49x800d). I did some research and read the rtings review (though I think that one was for the 43"?) but I would appreciate if anyone has anything, good or bad, to say about it. Haven't had a new tv since an old LG 32" 1080 (?) P from years ago so I'm looking forward to not having to squint!

The Sony TV was the nicer, flatter, design compared to the LG 4K smart TV 55" and Samsung entry level 4K. I can't justify the jump to OLED but I still want a quality TV. Thinking of getting the Sony one and 49" because the wider viewing angle but I heard the blacks are not great. I doubt I would notice but...can anyone weigh in on this? Cheers!

Sure, we have a whole thread about this line.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1276558

b0bbyJ03

I'm the same way, but price is no factor. Current OLED is a negligible upgrade over my Kuro at best. At this point I'm hoping my plasma lasts at least three more years, and OLED can at least do passable HDR

I'm going to disagree here. I upgrade to a B6 from a Panny ST60 and the difference is significant. Not even comparable to be honest. I still think it's worth waiting, but only cause we're already so close to CES. otherwise OLED is ready to go.

Also, what theater did u watch the laser projector at? I've been going to an AMC Prime at Times Square NY that has one and the quality of the picture is spectacular for a projector.

Dave_6

I'm getting very hyped for CES, especially for OLEDs and PC monitors. Hopefully it won't be disappointing.

deadlast

I'm getting very hyped for CES, especially for OLEDs and PC monitors. Hopefully it won't be disappointing.
Me too. I was going to get a monitor this year, but with CES right around the corner and the possibility of having an HDR monitor available, I'm biding my time.
Come on CES.

Theonik

Do color accurate 1080p tvs with HDR/DCI-P3 even exist?
I sincerely couldn't care less about 4k right now.
There will likely be no HDR 1080p TVs made available especially not anywhere near high end. Most high quality brands have dropped 1080p everywhere except their budget sets and even those will be largely 4K next year.

Paragon

Do color accurate 1080p tvs with HDR/DCI-P3 even exist?
I sincerely couldn't care less about 4k right now.
I just want TVs to include a pixel doubling function in game mode so that a 4K native screen looks just like a 1080p native one.
I don't want things smoothed over like they all do now.

Top Bottom