• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

NYR

Still having problems with my LG E6 and PS4Pro. Booted up, started up The Witness and got a black screen with some green flashing bars on the edges. I unplugged the HDMI cable and plugged it back in and it started working again.

Really frustrating.

BumRush

HDTV Test is decent. Not as regularly updated I don't think.

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk

I'll give it a read, thanks.

Still having problems with my LG E6 and PS4Pro. Booted up, started up The Witness and got a black screen with some green flashing bars on the edges. I unplugged the HDMI cable and plugged it back in and it started working again.

Really frustrating.

You've checked the HDMI cable and the port, yes?

NYR

I'll give it a read, thanks.

You've checked the HDMI cable and the port, yes?
Yep. I actually swapped the HDMI cable from my Xbox One S so I am using that one instead of the one that came with the PS4 Pro.

How do I check the port?

BumRush

Yep. I actually swapped the HDMI cable from my Xbox One S so I am using that one instead of the one that came with the PS4 Pro.

How do I check the port?

I mean, did you make sure that particular hdmi port on your E6 works?

holygeesus

Banned

Really frustrating.

I don't believe the C6/G6/E6 have had the HDCP fix yet. The B6 has only.

Theonik

Well said. It's what makes sites like rtings that much more important.

On that note, I wonder why rtings has effectively cornered that market...why aren't there any other sites on par with rtings for in depth reviews (or are there)?
Rtings is actually really bad. I'd avoid them really. HDTVtest is much better but they update infrequently there is other sites as well that do good coverage but they don't cover most sets.
e: As for why these sites aren't more abundant reviewing displays is really hard. And doing so is also quite time-consuming and expensive, and most consumers don't actually want to read that kind of review.

Really frustrating.

Only had this once with my E6 and Pro. And that was immediately after the recent firmware update. Black screen after install and green flashes on the sides.

Just hard shut down the console and turned it back on, no problems since. Using the HMDI cable that came in the box.

Traxtech

They also praised the KS8000 for motion
, yet if you look at their backlight percentage images you can see the big drops if the back light isn't at max yet mention NOTHING about this in their review. This is the reason alot of us returned our ks8000s and got something else, in my case the b6 :)

Theonik

They also praised the KS8000 for motion
, yet if you look at their backlight percentage images you can see the big drops if the back light isn't at max yet mention NOTHING about this in their review. This is the reason alot of us returned our ks8000s and got something else, in my case the b6 :)
That's another thing that really bothers me when reading their reviews, when the writeup basically doesn't match the tests they post on the same review.

NYR

Only had this once with my E6 and Pro. And that was immediately after the recent firmware update. Black screen after install and green flashes on the sides.

Just hard shut down the console and turned it back on, no problems since. Using the HMDI cable that came in the box.
Are you on HDCP 2.2? Have you had any problems playing Blu Rays?

Rtings is actually really bad. I'd avoid them really. HDTVtest is much better but they update infrequently there is other sites as well that do good coverage but they don't cover most sets.
e: As for why these sites aren't more abundant reviewing displays is really hard. And doing so is also quite time-consuming and expensive, and most consumers don't actually want to read that kind of review.

I like reading the HDTVtest.co.uk reviews the most. They are very thorough and provide lots of useful information. Their input lag measurements are spot-on, for anyone who cares. I happen to own 2 TVs they actually reviewed and my own crude measurements match theirs.

BumRush

I like reading the HDTVtest.co.uk reviews the most. They are very thorough and provide lots of useful information. Their input lag measurements are spot-on, for anyone who cares. I happen to own 2 TVs they actually reviewed and my own crude measurements match theirs.

I'll definitely check that site out. Hopefully they review the 2017 OLEDs early.

MrJames

At CES 2016, it was AVForum that had the best coverage on the 2016 OLED models. They did interviews from the show floor with the higher up people and were pretty much the main source of info early on.

Anarion07

Anyone know how long the picture cleaning tool for oled runs when started manually?
It said it will turn back on automatically

Started it because I had a weird green spot on screen (no retention bc no content like that was played and not hdmi problem either because netflix app streaming). If it persists I will post a photo.

holygeesus

Banned
Anyone know how long the picture cleaning tool for oled runs when started manually?
It said it will turn back on automatically

Started it because I had a weird green spot on screen (no retention bc no content like that was played and not hdmi problem either because netflix app streaming). If it persists I will post a photo.

Isn't it an hour?

Anarion07

Isn't it an hour?

Yep it's done but not fixed.

Pics:

t0qa4.jpg

Any ideas what that could be? (Just the spot. The rings in the green pics are from the camera)
LG B6

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Yep it's done but not fixed.

Pics:

Any ideas what that could be? (Just the spot. The rings in the green pics are from the camera)
LG B6

I'm gonna guess part of the panel failed, but that's really weird.

Call LG and get a tech out. Probably a panel replacement. Definitely not IR if it's black

BumRush

I know all panels are different, but is there a general recommendation I could put in the OP for brightness, backlit, sharpness, etc.?

My in-laws had their TV at 100% brightness and 100% sharpness which was absolutely offensive on the eyes.

holygeesus

Banned
I know all panels are different, but is there a general recommendation I could put in the OP for brightness, backlit, sharpness, etc.?

My in-laws had their TV at 100% brightness and 100% sharpness which was absolutely offensive on the eyes.

Usually default film/cinema/ISF Expert, or similar, seem to be the best place to start. I have my B6 on slightly modified ISF Expert Dark settings, but they are very good out of the box settings. Aren't most TVs now shipping with decent default settings?

BumRush

Usually default film/cinema/ISF Expert, or similar, seem to be the best place to start. I have my B6 on slightly modified ISF Expert Dark settings, but they are very good out of the box settings. Aren't most TVs now shipping with decent default settings?

They have a 4 year old Sharp 1080P LCD, and it looks like it shipped in store mode.

NYR

Look for the model number on the back of the TV and google it with "picture settings". You should be able to find something to start with.

BumRush

Apologies guys, I didn't mean I needed help with their TV (but thank you), just...

...are there general rules of settings for most TVs (e.g. turn sharpness down, etc)?

dragos495

Really frustrating.

this happened to me as well, only i have the c6. its when i go from hdr to non hdr and vice versa. only happened about 4-5 times since november and i game everyday.

psa: you dont need to unplug hdmis, just restart the tv. you will get an image everytime!

I've recently acquired and LG B6 and have encountered some issues.

- When playing with HDR (OG PS4) I notice some kind of micro stuttering, specially while riding a chocobo in Final Fantasy XV.
- This is a weird one, I use the TV as a secondary monitor, and have noticed that after some time with an application in full screen it looks like the windows has "moved" to the right (like the hour in the taskbar is more to the right) missing a small part of the screen, thought that it was a Windows/GPU issue, but it doesn't happen with other TV.

I don't know if this is the correct thread to ask about them, otherwhise, could you point it to me?

Paragon

This is a weird one, I use the TV as a secondary monitor, and have noticed that after some time with an application in full screen it looks like the windows has "moved" to the right (like the hour in the taskbar is more to the right) missing a small part of the screen, thought that it was a Windows/GPU issue, but it doesn't happen with other TV.
Like Plasma TVs it probably has a built in orbiter that gradually shifts the image around to lessen the effects of image retention.
It means that any retention which does occur will have fuzzy edges rather than being a crisp after-image.

Paz

How do I check the port?

This happens to me semi regularly when switching on/off hdr as I launch games or watching blu rays.

E6 Aussie edition.

Really frustrating.

I get this occasionally on my C6, I thought I was only one and was worried.

It goes away once I power on the PS4.

It's like a back screen with like flashing 80's green triangles at different points big, small all like webbing across to each other flashings in different areas.

Bizarre.

holygeesus

Banned
Like Plasma TVs it probably has a built in orbiter that gradually shifts the image around to lessen the effects of image retention.
It means that any retention which does occur will have fuzzy edges rather than being a crisp after-image.

Yeah you need to turn off 'screen shift' to stop it.

- When playing with HDR (OG PS4) I notice some kind of micro stuttering, specially while riding a chocobo in Final Fantasy XV.

That's a known issue with the PS4 version - from Eurogamer:
All of which leaves the base PlayStation 4 - the most important platform in terms of the size of its potential audience - right at the bottom of the pack. There is no way to avoid the stutter, it's an ever-present 'feature'.

Yeah you need to turn off 'screen shift' to stop it.

Thanks, that was it :)

That's a known issue with the PS4 version - from Eurogamer:
All of which leaves the base PlayStation 4 - the most important platform in terms of the size of its potential audience - right at the bottom of the pack. There is no way to avoid the stutter, it's an ever-present 'feature'.
But I don't notice it without HDR or on my previous TV, just with HDR on :S

MrJames

CES Press Conferences of interest...

Wednesday January 4th

All Pacific Time

8-8:45 AM - LG
10-10:45 AM - Panasonic
10-10:45 AM - HDMI Forum Spec Announcement
11-11:45 AM - TCL
12-12:45 AM - Hisense
2-2:45 PM - Samsung
4-4:45 PM - Intel
5-5:45 PM - Sony
6:30-7:30 PM - Nvidia

Wednesday January 4th

All Pacific Time

All those TVs. Just for me. Well you guys can have one too. I'm not that selfish

:)

BumRush

Wednesday January 4th

All Pacific Time

Cool, thanks!!

muu

Any thoughts on the batch of soundbars available today? I got in on a HW-K550 from Samgsung sight unseen to use up a Dell Amex offer, but now I'm having second thoughts. How are the low-range, how are the high end units? Any of them act as decent 2.0/2.1 units instead of pushing fake surround tech?

Ok, so I think I figured out my LCD's 1440p issue. For whatever reason, the set refuses to display 1440p res at anything higher than 30fps. I've tried a million different settings and the only thing that seems to work is using GTAV's framescaling option. What I did was I set the game's output to 4k@60Hz then went in and set the framescaling to 2/3 or 3/4. The benchmark runs anywhere from 30-50fps so with some tweaking I should be able to claw my way up to more or less 60fps while keeping a 4k output. I'm a little fuzzy on the math but I think 2/3 of 4k is somewhere around 1440p? That seems to be the best compromise between smooth edges and fps. Now, does anyone know if there's a systemwide way to set this option, or is it on a game by game basis? Hitman has a supersampling option but it doesn't let you go below 1.00.

edit: I should mention that I'm running a 970GTX with a 4690k at stock.
edit2: Looks like the setting in nvidia control panel is DSR. However, it looks like this only allows me to scale up from native res which doesn't do me any good. Is there any benefit to supersampling from 1080p on a 4k display? I would assume that supersampling would look exactly the same on a 1080p screen as it would on a 4k screen since it is displaying the same image just quadrupled for 4k.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I wonder how soon Sony's 2nd best tv's are as good or better than the Z9D vs Sony's OLED quality and price vs the Z9D becoming more affordable. I want a TV like the Z9D in the 2k's
3AQmK.gif

Caayn

LG's jumping the gun by announcing their high-end LCD models.

• SJ9500
    • Maintains up to 90% of the contrans and color when viewed off angle.
    • HDR support: HDR10, Dolby Vision, Advanced HDR and Hybrid Log Gamma
    • LCD: Quantumdot
    • Sizes: 86" and 65"
  • SJ8500
    • Sizes: 65", 60" and 55"
  • SJ8000
    • Sizes: 65", 60" and 55"

Based_legend24

Neo Member
I wonder how soon Sony's 2nd best tv's are as good or better than the Z9D vs Sony's OLED quality and price vs the Z9D becoming more affordable. I want a TV like the Z9D in the 2k's
3AQmK.gif
Not for a long time. Too many led zones to have it be any cheaper in the near future and processing wise it's miles ahead of any other tv

SOLDIER

Is there a way to "sharpen" an image on the E6 without raising the sharpness filter?

Maybe it's me, but I feel some imagery is a bit "softer" than it should be. This mainly relates to text on the screen, like the journal you get in Let it Die. Raising the sharpness setting doesn't seem to help much, so not sure if this is as intended or not.

Top Bottom