• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

LG's jumping the gun by announcing their high-end LCD models.

• SJ9500
    • Maintains up to 90% of the contrans and color when viewed off angle.
    • HDR support: HDR10, Dolby Vision, Advanced HDR and Hybrid Log Gamma
    • LCD: Quantumdot
    • Sizes: 86" and 65"
  • SJ8500
    • Sizes: 65", 60" and 55"
  • SJ8000

So LG's new strategy is to copy Samsung model numbers lol

Theonik

I wonder how soon Sony's 2nd best tv's are as good or better than the Z9D vs Sony's OLED quality and price vs the Z9D becoming more affordable. I want a TV like the Z9D in the 2k's
3AQmK.gif
Z9D is ~$3850 for retailers the nature of the technology means it will not really fall in price and besides it's the best TV on the market right now no reason to discount it.

To be clear any sort of decent FALD will always need to be bulky and expensive to make. OLED has more potential to hit the uselessly thin and cheap sets the consumers crave but LG will need a few more major innovations to push their manufacturing yields where they need to be to make it happen.

shockdude

Is there a way to "sharpen" an image on the E6 without raising the sharpness filter?

Maybe it's me, but I feel some imagery is a bit "softer" than it should be. This mainly relates to text on the screen, like the journal you get in Let it Die. Raising the sharpness setting doesn't seem to help much, so not sure if this is as intended or not.
Are you running the game in native resolution? Is overscan disabled?
Open up MS Paint and draw some lines with the pencil; if the pixels are blurry or anti-aliased then something is off.

Caayn

So LG's new strategy is to copy Samsung model numbers lol
LG has used the XX9500, XX8500 naming scheme in the past. They didn't just start using it.
"Advanced HDR" is what they're calling Dynamic Metadata?
It's not, it's a tech created by Technicolor.
Technicolor said:
Advanced HDR enables one content stream to carry both HDR and standard dynamic range (SDR) video, but set top boxes will require hardware upgrades to deliver advanced HDR content. In addition, Advanced HDR technology creates the ability to up-convert SDR to HDR in the home, on a set-top-box. In so doing, viewers have uninterrupted HDR capability displayed to their TVs.
Technicolor said:
Q: When you say advanced HDR, what does that mean? How is that different from regular HDR?

Jentz: Advanced HDR enables a consumer to play back any HDR content on existing Standard Dynamic Range (SDR) TVs, or, if they have a new HDR TV, they can take full advantage of the content. This is done by sending one single content stream that includes standard dynamic range data plus HDR, through the use of metadata.
http://thefuturetrust.technicolor.c...oc-sector-in-bringing-hdr-video-to-consumers/

Insane Metal

Gold Member

• SJ9500
  • SJ8500
  • SJ8000

Hmm. Sounds good. Too bad they will still be IPS panels :/

KillGore

Man, I keep waiting for prices to go down but best buy has the LG C6 at regular price now. Should've bought it when it was at $1,800. It's at $2,500 for the 55 inch lol $4k for the 65

Man, I keep waiting for prices to go down but best buy has the LG C6 at regular price now. Should've bought it when it was at $1,800. It's at $2,500 for the 55 inch lol $4k for the 65

Hold. There's hope on the horizon in the weeks to come. At least I hope that there is

NYR

• SJ9500
  • SJ8500
  • SJ8000

I like the styling, here is how they look, might give us a preview of what the OLED models will be like:

lg-sj9500-super-uhd-tv.jpg

LG-Super-UHD-TV.jpg

Theonik

Hmm. Sounds good. Too bad they will still be IPS panels :/
It kind of makes sense, LG is putting all their actual high end on OLED. LCDs are their budget sets, VA panels are great, but not really cheap, and offer poor viewing angles over IPS or OLED, so it makes sense to just make IPS. Sony kinda did the same as of 2014 where all their low-end and 1080p sets are IPS based with their high end using VA panels to boost contrast.

Kyoufu

Unknown Soldier:

The MMO you play is FFXIV right? I decided to start a new service account last week and after playing for 14+ hours a day during holidays I see no image retention or burn-in. If an MMO won't do it, then I'm not really sure what will. Total playtime so far is 124 hours (5 days. 4 hours) and I'm not worried about anything. I thought the minimap would give off something temporary but nope, nothing.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Unknown Soldier:

The MMO you play is FFXIV right? I decided to start a new service account last week and after playing for 14+ hours a day during holidays I see no image retention or burn-in. If an MMO won't do it, then I'm not really sure what will. Total playtime so far is 124 hours (5 days. 4 hours) and I'm not worried about anything. I thought the minimap would give off something temporary but nope, nothing.

I played the beta of that game on PS4 on my VT60.
Only one day and a few hours. It did not fare well at all haha (though eventually cleared). Glad to hear your experience.

• SJ9500

• Q6qTxi1hSzi8szbHQAmo_giphy.gif

Might ditch oled for that 86"

oni-link

Not if input lag or HDR are important.

FFS I swear there isn't a single good TV out there for gaming, they all seem to have one crippling flaw

I thought I read on GAF that was a decent model but those are literally the only 2 things I care about and you're telling me it's not good in those areas

Kyoufu

FFS I swear there isn't a single good TV out there for gaming, they all seem to have one crippling flaw

I thought I read on GAF that was a decent model but those are literally the only 2 things I care about and you're telling me it's not good in those areas

That's not true though. There are good TVs for gaming. It just depends on your budget. What's your budget?

Aces&Eights

£500 to £600

It's just frustrating when every model I look into seems to have a huge flaw

For wanting all the goodies of a 4k tv, budget just doesn't cut it at this time, unfortunately. I'd sock that 500 into savings until you can get another 500. I got the ks8000 for 1000 and the tv is prefect for gaming with all the bells and whistles. I know that's not what you want to hear but 1000 is the minimum entry point for what's on the market if you expect good imputed lag, hdr10, etc. Perhaps, during super bowl there will be some great deals. Good luck.

In all honesty I would hold the line, I mean CES press conferences tomorrow, it really won't be long till the new ones are on shelves, and may well get you a better value TV at that price. Doesn't help Sony (apart from the ZD9) messed up anything nice for gamers.

holygeesus

Banned
In all honesty I would hold the line, I mean CES press conferences tomorrow, it really won't be long till the new ones are on shelves, and may well get you a better value TV at that price. Doesn't help Sony (apart from the ZD9) messed up anything nice for gamers.

The ZD9 isn't amazing for lag either. Add the LCD response time and it's hardly leading the pack. Premium TVs don't consider gaming the priority.

The ZD9 isn't amazing for lag either. Add the LCD response time and it's hardly leading the pack. Premium TVs don't consider gaming the priority.

Not amazing, but considering what it's packing and the fact lag is a lot faster than the other Sony's, its their best, and for most people acceptable.

Melon Husk

£500 to £600

It's just frustrating when every model I look into seems to have a huge flaw

There were good Sony sets in that range back in 2013-2014 w/ VA panels and 16ms input latency.

Now as for good gaming HDR sets... not this year or even the next.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
There is no good TVs at that budget. Especially if you want the latest and greatest features. Come back with £1200 and something can be done.

£1200 is nearly getting you a 55xd9305 which is a decent mid range set.

For entry level and HDR the Samsung KS7000 is about £800 and would be a good starting point

Then you have the OLED 55B6 at £1800 for the 'normal person high end'

Theonik

£1200 is nearly getting you a 55xd9305 which is a decent mid range set.

For entry level and HDR the Samsung KS7000 is about £800 and would be a good starting point

Then you have the OLED 55B6 at £1800 for the 'normal person high end'
I get a 55xd930 for £1100 actually. I would not recommend anything cheaper than that tbh.

holygeesus

Banned
Not amazing, but considering what it's packing and the fact lag is a lot faster than the other Sony's, its their best, and for most people acceptable.

Wait, what? You slammed the LG OLED range for their gaming performance yet suddenly 45ms lag is acceptable in a Sony set? It all makes sense now.

Wait, what? You slammed the LG OLED range for their gaming performance yet suddenly 45ms lag is acceptable in a Sony set? It all makes sense now.

For goodness sake man, stop taking it personally! Yeah I slammed 60ms of lag and cycling lag of 38-58, so yes it makes perfect sense.

holygeesus

Banned
For goodness sake man, stop taking it personally! Yeah I slammed 60ms of lag and cycling lag of 38-58, so yes it makes perfect sense.

So given the response time of the OLED sets blowing away any LCD set and the lag time in the ZD9 being worse than any of the LG range for non HDR material (and pretty much equal anyway even with HDR games considering the slower response time) what set would you choose as a gamer?

So given the response time of the OLED sets blowing away any LCD set and the lag time in the ZD9 being worse than any of the LG range for non HDR material (and pretty much equal anyway even with HDR games considering the slower response time) what set would you choose as a gamer?

I'm likely getting the ZD9. The response time isn't perfect, but I personally prefer the brightness of the picture and the HDR implementation of the set. Both are great sets.

For wanting all the goodies of a 4k tv, budget just doesn't cut it at this time, unfortunately. I'd sock that 500 into savings until you can get another 500. I got the ks8000 for 1000 and the tv is prefect for gaming with all the bells and whistles. I know that's not what you want to hear but 1000 is the minimum entry point for what's on the market if you expect good imputed lag, hdr10, etc. Perhaps, during super bowl there will be some great deals. Good luck.

ks8000 could have better pixel response times. It's really it's only weakness.

also, guys - stop equating response time with input lag. They are two totally different things:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1328974&highlight=

OLED's have god-like pixel response time (making them handle fast motion, movement, and motion blur like none other. OLED's often struggle with input lag (but LG is releasing a patch to fix that)

Lol I see you are going down the response time route now then! So you gonna make me pull out the B6 table again?

1080p @ 60Hz 44.4ms
1080p @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 61.0ms
1080p @ 60Hz @ HDR 58.0ms - 71.0ms
1080p @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 @ HDR 54.9ms - 70.7ms
4k @ 60Hz 43.2ms
4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 59.8ms
4k @ 60Hz @ HDR 38.2ms - 54.5ms
4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 @ HDR N/A

Hmmm can't see any of those being quicker than the ZD9? Some of those readings are atrocious.

And why on earth would you put response times and input lag in the same basket!?
You must know better that?
Clutching at huge clumps of straw I'm thinking.

I'd choose the one I have now funnily enough, Panasonic 902, 35ms across the board, would make a table like the LG one look very boring.

oni-link

There is no good TVs at that budget. Especially if you want the latest and greatest features. Come back with £1200 and something can be done.

Well I need a TV as I've just moved into my own place, and that is pretty much my budget, so really I just want the best gaming TV I can get for £600 or less

Well I need a TV as I've just moved into my own place, and that is pretty much my budget, so really I just want the best gaming TV I can get for £600 or less

Suggestions there aren't good TVs for £600 is complete rubbish. Bear in mind you've come into the Digital Foundry thread for TVs, nitpicks, strengths/weaknesses will all be magnified and/or blown out of proportion.

Top Bottom