• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

RSH

Neo Member
I plan to put my couch 6 feet away from my new Samsung KS8000, 4K 65' tv, to play my PS4 Pro, and the XB1X, when it is released (and watch 4K Blu-Rays on it). I may also watch 4K streaming from Netflix.

My question is, as I watch a lot of non 4K content (1080p streaming & YouTube/720p Cable (including sports) and 720p Free to Air TV/Nintendo Switch(1080p?)), can I get by with permanently leaving my couch 6 feet away from the TV (as I would like to do), or should I go to the effort of moving my couch further away from the tv, when not watching 4K content?

I would appreciate any help, as my TV arrived today, and I want to set it up in my gaming room. Thanks in advance.

Metfanant

I plan to put my couch 6 feet away from my new Samsung KS8000, 4K 65' tv, to play my PS4 Pro, and the XB1X, when it is released (and watch 4K Blu-Rays on it). I may also watch 4K streaming from Netflix.

My question is, as I watch a lot of non 4K content (1080p streaming & YouTube/720p Cable (including sports) and 720p Free to Air TV/Nintendo Switch(1080p?)), can I get by with permanently leaving my couch 6 feet away from the TV (as I would like to do), or should I go to the effort of moving my couch further away from the tv, when not watching 4K content?

I would appreciate any help, as my TV arrived today, and I want to set it up in my gaming room. Thanks in advance.

You'll be fine...pick a spot for the couch that you're comfortable watching from and just stick with it...

RSH

Neo Member
You'll be fine...pick a spot for the couch that you're comfortable watching from and just stick with it...

Thanks mate. So If I want to sit at 6 feet away for my 4K media, then I could get by, sitting at 6 feet away for the other resolutions?

Metfanant

Thanks mate. So If I want to sit at 6 feet away for my 4K media, then I could get by sitting at 6 feet for the other resolutions?

6' while watching a 65" TV is gonna be pretty in your face big at first depending on what size your previous TV was..I sit about 8-9' from my old 67" 1080p Samsung LED DLP in my movie/game room...the TV is on a stand (so it's sits a couple feet off of one wall, the couch is against the opposite wall...

I wouldn't mind sitting closer, but it would just be dumb to leave 2' of space behind my couch, so when I do eventually upgrade to a 4k set hopefully next year after HDMI 2.1 hits, I'll stay at the 8-9ft where I am now

Idk how big your room is, or how you have it set up, but in all honesty, the difference between 6' and a couple more ft is never going to be worth the hassle of moving your couch whenever you switch resolutions ...

Serious question: how much space are you leaving behind your couch when you put it at 6ft?

RSH

Neo Member
6' while watching a 65" TV is gonna be pretty in your face big at first depending on what size your previous TV was..I sit about 8-9' from my old 67" 1080p Samsung LED DLP in my movie/game room...the TV is on a stand (so it's sits a couple feet off of one wall, the couch is against the opposite wall...

I wouldn't mind sitting closer, but it would just be dumb to leave 2' of space behind my couch, so when I do eventually upgrade to a 4k set hopefully next year after HDMI 2.1 hits, I'll stay at the 8-9ft where I am now

Idk how big your room is, or how you have it set up, but in all honesty, the difference between 6' and a couple more ft is never going to be worth the hassle of moving your couch whenever you switch resolutions ...

Serious question: how much space are you leaving behind your couch when you put it at 6ft?
As I understand it, I need to be at 6 feet away on a 65' 4K, to appreciate the 4K. This is what Sony Europe has stated. I agree I think it will be pretty in my face big, but I don't think I can avoid this for watching 4K. I also have maybe around 8-9ft spare to use in total, I could easily put the couch at 8/9ft away, and use a comfy chair at 6ft for 4K. What do you reckon?

RSH

Neo Member
Yeah, on a 65" E6.

Thanks mate. Sorry for my ignorance, but is that a 4K TV?
You said you've watched all kinds of media 6ft away from the 65 inch TV.
I want to watch my 4K media from that distance.
Do you think I can get by, watching all the other resolutions, from 6ft away?

Metfanant

As I understand it, I need to be at 6 feet away on a 65' 4K, to appreciate the 4K. This is what Sony Europe has stated. I agree I think it will be pretty in my face big, but I don't think I can avoid this for watching 4K. I also have maybe around 8-9ft spare to use in total, I could easily put the couch at 8/9ft away, and use a comfy chair at 6ft for 4K. What do you reckon?

Ok, first of all...you DO NOT need to be at 6ft to appreciate 4k...that's just asinine...You would very much enjoy 4k from 8-9ft away just fine

Sure there are "optimal" veiwing distances, but frankly, TV calibration, lighting conditions, and your overall eye sight, probably make enough of an impact to totally skew the optimal viewing distance for your particular room...

I mean, I'd have to see how your room as set up...but, I personally think it's just stupid to leave a couple wasted feet of floor space behind the couch (unless you can put some stuff back there) just because somebody at Sony said 6ft is the best distance...

However, if you're set on 6ft...then just put the couch there and leave it...don't bother moving it for lower resolution content...

Also remember...when measuring your 6ft...it's from screen to where your EYES are when you sit on the couch...so you've got to have someone sit on the couch and measure to there head...don't measure to the front or back of the couch

madmackem

Upscaling is pretty decent on these sets, I've got the 9000 and good blurays and good 1080p games look fantastic on this set.

Rahvar

Anyone know of a review for the Philips PFL9522. I know its a new set but im struggling to find any bit of info on it other then a preview on cnet.com

https://www.cnet.com/products/philips-65pfl5922/preview/

From my experience as technical service at an electronics retailer, avoid anything Philips. They always have software issues. Last year it took them 6+ months to fix a bad update that made remote controls unusable for a lot of people....

RSH

Neo Member
Ok, first of all...you DO NOT need to be at 6ft to appreciate 4k...that's just asinine...You would very much enjoy 4k from 8-9ft away just fine

Sure there are "optimal" veiwing distances, but frankly, TV calibration, lighting conditions, and your overall eye sight, probably make enough of an impact to totally skew the optimal viewing distance for your particular room...

I mean, I'd have to see how your room as set up...but, I personally think it's just stupid to leave a couple wasted feet of floor space behind the couch (unless you can put some stuff back there) just because somebody at Sony said 6ft is the best distance...

However, if you're set on 6ft...then just put the couch there and leave it...don't bother moving it for lower resolution content...

Also remember...when measuring your 6ft...it's from screen to where your EYES are when you sit on the couch...so you've got to have someone sit on the couch and measure to there head...don't measure to the front or back of the couch

Thanks again. So you are pretty sure that you could still see 4K at 8/9 ft?

RSH

Neo Member
Upscaling is pretty decent on these sets, I've got the 9000 and good blurays and good 1080p games look fantastic on this set.

Thanks mate. Do you have the 65' model? And if so, how far away do you sit, and do you always leave your couch in the same position?

Kyoufu

RSH, you're overthinking this. Nobody moves their couch when they change resolutions. Just sit wherever is comfortable for you.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Yeah I get not wanting a separate device, but depending on the interoperability of your stuff when it comes to HDMI CEC, you may not have a choice. It's hands down the worst part of HDMI.

Which is one reason why I'm planning on getting ałl Sony stuff (X900E/X930E TV, STR-DN1080 receiver, X800 BD player, PS4 Pro). Well, the main reason is that I generally like Sony's stuff and their lineup this year seems pretty great, but yeah, it should make that less of a hassle I'd think. CEC works great between my current Sony TV and the devices connected to it (which is just a PS4 and a Chromecast, since my current receiver doesn't do HDMI, but anyway).

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Beyond a certain distance you physically cannot tell the difference between 1080p and 4K. 9' from a 55" TV would be too far, for example. With a 65" that's possibly fine? I'm not sure of the exact numbers.

Salaadin

Which is one reason why I'm planning on getting ałl Sony stuff (X900E/X930E TV, STR-DN1080 receiver, X800 BD player, PS4 Pro). Well, the main reason is that I generally like Sony's stuff and their lineup this year seems pretty great, but yeah, it should make that less of a hassle I'd think. CEC works great between my current Sony TV and the devices connected to it (which is just a PS4 and a Chromecast, since my current receiver doesn't do HDMI, but anyway).
The Bravia sync stuff is pretty neat so far too. I'm using one remote to control the tv and ps4 and I know the X800 offers this too so, if I get one, I'll be able to use a single remote for everything. I almost got a second Harmony but I'm not seeing the need for that just yet now.

One thing I can't figure out is how to switch inputs with my voice. I swear I saw a video of someone saying "change input to ps4", which did just that.

ElNino

Beyond a certain distance you physically cannot tell the difference between 1080p and 4K. 9' from a 55" TV would be too far, for example. With a 65" that's possibly fine? I'm not sure of the exact numbers.
No. Do not take those charts as the gospel when it comes from viewing distances. This is like saying the human eye can't see more than 24fps so 60fps is unnecessary.

Depending on where I am sitting in my family room, I could be anywhere from 8-12 feet away from my 55" TV and I sure as hell can tell the difference between 1080p and 4K. When standing a few feet in front the of the TV, sure the difference is more pronounced, but don't get the idea that you can't see it from further away.

Hell, the 50" TV in my bedroom is ~15ft away and I could easily tell the difference when I went from 720p to 1080p. And this is from an "old" man whose eyes are getting worse every year.

e90Mark

No. Do not take those charts as the gospel when it comes from viewing distances. This is like saying the human eye can't see more than 24fps so 60fps is unnecessary.

Depending on where I am sitting in my family room, I could be anywhere from 8-12 feet away from my 55" TV and I sure as hell can tell the difference between 1080p and 4K. When standing a few feet in front the of the TV, sure the difference is more pronounced, but don't get the idea that you can't see it from further away.

Hell, the 50" TV in my bedroom is ~15ft away and I could easily tell the difference when I went from 720p to 1080p. And this is from an "old" man whose eyes are getting worse every year.

Agreed.

I'm also anywhere from 8-12 feet away from my 55" and it's very easy to tell a difference/see 4k.

The charts are definitely not gospel.

BumRush

This. I have 20/10 vision and it's a glaring difference between 720P content and 1080P @ 12' on a 50". The charts might be a mathematical formula that applies generally, but differences in eyesight play a major role.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Wonder if Sony will release a Z9D successor for the second half of the year. Would be interesting seeing what an upgraded version of that would be especially compared to those prototype sets they were showing off a while back.

TheBoss1

Wonder if Sony will release a Z9D successor for the second half of the year. Would be interesting seeing what an upgraded version of that would be especially compared to those prototype sets they were showing off a while back.

Amazon recently dropped the price on the 65" to $4500 which is the cheapest I've seen it on a certified seller's site to date. I am really interested to see what they will come with next. Hopefully it's this year too.

JG5253

Couple thoughts...

ARC requires HDMI CEC which, almost ten years on or w/e, is still a problematic technology with some of the same issues it's had since day one. Esp when you aren't using the same brand for all your devices, things kind of go to shit honestly.

eARC sounds great on paper but I have zero confidence it will address any of the exisitng ARC issues. Also, I still think ARC is a limited use-case scenario. Right now the only lossless audio that exists isn't on anything that requires ARC. it's on Blu-Ray discs.

Furthermore, we can go down the path of "do you really have speakers that are capable of resolving all the detail that lossless audio produces, versus the standard Dolby Digital Plus bitstream" argument. For a lot of people, it probably makes no difference.

And I'm not sure what you're referring to about input lag.

And while this is true, there are various boxes that can do full Atmos; Roku Ultra, NV Shield TV etc. They don't do DV just yet, but that's likely more of a matter of time thing, than a "it will never have DV" thing.

ARC, you're right, but is it something that is worth waiting for outside of some more specific use cases? Not sure and that's up to broncobuster to decide.

Input lag though? What is this in reference to?
Yea I use a Vizio 5.1 sound bar so I think ARC is fine for now.

I thought I saw rumors that 2.1 would improve input lag but I'm probably wrong

Kudo

How do people run their setups to PC? I'm kind of unsure how should I do mine, I have one 1440p monitor and the TV will be 4K, so I can't just clone it as either of the displays will have to scale to (TV to either 1440p or monitor downscale from 4k?), but having them act as separate displays seems like work to throw windows around when using different monitor, for example if I want to play on monitor I'd have to set that as main then switch to TV when I feel like playing on that.
Any tips or will I just have to deal with it?

Thorrgal

Those charts are made for a guy with 20/20 eyesight. People with better eyesight (20/15, for example) can sit a bit further away.

But no way u can tell the difference between 720 and 1080 at 15feet on a 50", sorry.

HStallion

Those charts are made for a guy with 20/20 eyesight. People with better eyesight (20/15, for example) can sit a bit further away.

But no way u can tell the difference between 720 and 1080 at 15feet on a 50", sorry.

I'd say the difference between 4K and 1080p is pretty noticeable even from far away. Turn on HDR and there is no doubt about it.

ElNino

Are you saying this from experience, because my experience says I can and I don't have 20/20 vision. I don't need a chart to tell me what my (and others) eyes see in front of them.

Hey, I'm all for buying the biggest TV you can but my opinion is that sitting too close (or having a TV too big) is worse than sitting too far away. Some people may want the TV to fill their field of view, but I'm not one of those unless I'm specifically watching a movie.

I wouldnt follow those charts either. I had some 2010 55" Toshiba 1080p set and just got a 55" KS8000 from someone here on Gaf, and overall there's a huge noticeable difference even at 1080p from 10+ feet. It's a huge step up.

Kambing

I need someone to talk me out of this.

Recently I've been really interested in 21:9 gaming. Have had my eyes set on the new 34" HDR G-Sync monitors. Effectively, a 34" 21:9 screen is equivalent to a 27" 16:9 screen in height. Pretty small. But I got to thinking that I could just use a 55 inch OLED, set the resolution to 3840 x 1600 for a 21:9 aspect ratio. The 55 inch screen when set to a 21:9 resolution effectively becomes a 41" 16:9 screen in terms of height: http://displaywars.com/41,5-inch-16x9-vs-52-inch-21x9 -- that's more like it.

The biggest downside to this is losing G-sync and frame rates up to 200hz. The medium downside is the black bars this would create on the TV. Other than that though, especially if I wait until next year, the chances of 120hz@4k seems more likely. The crazy thing is I doubt there will be that big of a difference in price between the 34" HDR monitor and a 55 inch OLED. I wish they made G-sync modules that could attach onto TV's!

Adding: I doubt Nvidia will support VRR on HDMI 2.1... especially when G-sync does well for them. And with Vega looking to underwhelm, not confident we will have a good VRR GPU anytime soon.

I need someone to talk me out of this.

Recently I've been really interested in 21:9 gaming. Have had my eyes set on the new 34" HDR G-Sync monitors. Effectively, a 34" 21:9 screen is equivalent to a 27" 16:9 screen in height. Pretty small. But I got to thinking that I could just use a 55 inch OLED, set the resolution to 3840 x 1600 for a 21:9 aspect ratio. The 55 inch screen when set to a 21:9 resolution effectively becomes a 41" 16:9 screen in terms of height: http://displaywars.com/41,5-inch-16x9-vs-52-inch-21x9 -- that's more like it.

The biggest downside to this is losing G-sync and frame rates up to 200hz. The medium downside is the black bars this would create on the TV. Other than that though, especially if I wait until next year, the chances of 120hz@4k seems more likely. The crazy thing is I doubt there will be that big of a difference in price between the 34" HDR monitor and a 55 inch OLED. I wish they made G-sync modules that could attach onto TV's!

Adding: I doubt Nvidia will support VRR on HDMI 2.1... especially when G-sync does well for them. And with Vega looking to underwhelm, not confident we will have a good VRR GPU anytime soon.

i think this underscores why waiting for VRR right now seems tough. NV has no incentive to support it. There won't be consoles to support it for at least a few years. If you're a TV manufacturer, you'd hope that you're smart enough to know these things such that you lock in support from AMD/NV before you release the feature. Otherwise it's kinda useless....

BumRush

i think this underscores why waiting for VRR right now seems tough. NV has no incentive to support it. There won't be consoles to support it for at least a few years. If you're a TV manufacturer, you'd hope that you're smart enough to know these things such that you lock in support from AMD/NV before you release the feature. Otherwise it's kinda useless....

This. It'll probably start to become a big deal in 2020 (maybe late 2019) but before that, 2.1 means very little to me. It's eventually going to be huge, but in the tech world, eventually = a lifetime.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
The Bravia sync stuff is pretty neat so far too. I'm using one remote to control the tv and ps4 and I know the X800 offers this too so, if I get one, I'll be able to use a single remote for everything. I almost got a second Harmony but I'm not seeing the need for that just yet now.

One thing I can't figure out is how to switch inputs with my voice. I swear I saw a video of someone saying "change input to ps4", which did just that.

Nah, those charts you're referencing are pure BS

Of course this will differ from person to person, but no, they are not "pure BS". It's a very simple logical fact that beyond a certain distance vs screen size you will not be able to tell the difference. 12 feet from a 55"? Perhaps noticeable, but not significantly so. Like, is it worth the upgrade at that distance? It may be. What about 15 feet? 20? There is a point where there is no discernable difference anymore. And to get the full benefit of all those pixels you need to be quite a bit closer than that.

I'd say the difference between 4K and 1080p is pretty noticeable even from far away. Turn on HDR and there is no doubt about it.

Yes, of course you will notice the difference between 4K HDR and 1080p SDR even from across a huge room; but that has nothing to do with the resolution in that case. HDR is about how each pixel looks, not how many of them there are.

I wouldnt follow those charts either. I had some 2010 55" Toshiba 1080p set and just got a 55" KS8000 from someone here on Gaf, and overall there's a huge noticeable difference even at 1080p from 10+ feet. It's a huge step up.

Even at 1080p, what...? You mean the TV just has better image quality? Sure, but that also has nothing to do with this distance vs size discussion.

ElNino

Of course this will differ from person to person, but no, they are not "pure BS". It's a very simple logical fact that beyond a certain distance vs screen size you will not be able to tell the difference. 12 feet from a 55"? Perhaps noticeable, but not significantly so. Like, is it worth the upgrade at that distance? It may be. What about 15 feet? 20? There is a point where there is no discernible difference anymore. And to get the full benefit of all those pixels you need to be quite a bit closer than that.
The bolded is the issue here, and I think it dissuades people from buying a TV when they think they won't see any benefit. The "sweet spot" for TV size/distance might be closer than some peoples setup, but I stand by my position that being too close is worse than being too far away (within reason).

I have gone from 50" 720p plasma to 50" 1080p plasma from the same manufacturer and saw a significant difference in quality from the same source material from 10-12 feet away. The main difference is that I could go closer before the image began to degrade significantly, but at my normal viewing distance the improved image quality was certainly apparent.

Now, going to a 55" 4k OLED has seen another increase in quality, but that isn't really a fair comparison due to the differences in panel technology.

RedAssedApe

Banned
They aren't BS but most people with 50+ inch screens probably aren't sitting 5ft away from them. I have a 55inch 4K and sit about 8ft away. I mean I'm sure I'm not seeing every minute detail but 4K is appreciably better looking than 1080p if the source is good.

I wouldn't stress too much about moving around your furniture. The distance you sat when viewing your older 1080p set is probably fine. Especially if you're actually going bigger.

HStallion

Yes, of course you will notice the difference between 4K HDR and 1080p SDR even from across a huge room; but that has nothing to do with the resolution in that case. HDR is about how each pixel looks, not how many of them there are.

Even without HDR I can tell the 1080p TV's from the 4K ones from across the show floor in Best Buy. This won't apply to everyone especially to those with poorer eye sight but the difference is easily noticeable to myself.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Reading the above posts makes me think I'm using my tv wrong :D

Am I the only one who struggles to see the big difference from 1080-4k? I think my brain adapts too quickly and since I don't have a side by side I have no real clue about the picture difference. The biggest change I've had is the soap opera effect - does that mean I'm doing it right or wrong?

Also telling the diff between HDR and nonhdr is impossible!

HStallion

Am I the only one who struggles to see the big difference from 1080-4k? I think my brain adapts too quickly and since I don't have a side by side I have no real clue about the picture difference. The biggest change I've had is the soap opera effect - does that mean I'm doing it right or wrong?

I guess it depends on the content and TV your using but its night and day between HDR and non HDR for me.

BumRush

So the last point leads me to believe you need to have your eyes checked, lol.

But, in regards to 1080P vs 2160P, what content are you watching? True 4K (like a UHD Blu-ray)?

Weevilone

I can't support you on the HDR thing, but just based on resolution alone and ignoring color space, I don't think 1080p to 4K is that big of a deal.

RedAssedApe

Banned

diminishing returns and all but what content are you actually comparing?

Yeah, not to pile on, but I'd question if you have things configured properly if you can't see the diff between SDR and HDR.

The 4K thing I could kinda buy, depending on content and viewing distance. On PC, the image is noticeably softer and more aliased when looking at 1080p versus native 4K. It's not night and day, but it's definitely there.

HDR is no question though. It's more pronounced than the difference between SD and HD.

The difference between 1080p and 4k is marginal IMO, and I have 20/20 vision. HDR on the other hand, is a significant upgrade. The first time I gamed in 4k I was like "OK I guess" but the first time I saw some good HDR content my jaw dropped. If you don't see the difference it may be the content and/or TV causing that.

Top Bottom