• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

ss_lemonade

I might have posted these here before or in the ks8000 thread but what the heck, here's a Horizon HDR comparison on my ks9000

SDR
C7173Zll.jpg

HDR
GdEtjEBl.jpg

While it looks just like a more colorful version, I cannot replicate the HDR's screen on SDR just by fiddling with settings.

It's interesting but except for HDR bright being a tad bit more bright the HDR Standard setting looks very very similar. I tried out Gears 4 and FH3.

And to my surprise HDR game mode comes close as well but that's because dynamic contrast was at high and because of that the colors actually seem a bit more dull. But in terms of brightness it's on par with HDR Standard. However certain effects aren't really present. Take for example Gears 4's Night Terrors chapter with the red stuff around the walls. It looks a bit shiney with HDR bright and standard and more dull with HDR game.

When I switched back to SDR the overall picture became brighter and not in a good way. It's nice to see what HDR can bring.

Oh also, I checked out Netflix on Xbox One S and I noticed the HDR thingy popping up right away. Even more interesting is that no matter what show or movie I choose, HDR is always enabled on the TV?

ss_lemonade

Oh also, I checked out Netflix on Xbox One S and I noticed the HDR thingy popping up right away. Even more interesting is that no matter what show or movie I choose, HDR is always enabled on the TV?
I may be wrong (I don't have an Xbox One S) but I remember reading about the xbone netflix app staying in HDR mode always when HDR is enabled on the xbox. It isn't smart enough to toggle HDR/SDR depending on the content.

ItIsOkBro

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnar...tv-4k-review-13-reasons-you-shouldnt-buy-one/

Part 2 of Johns Apple TV 4k review. Only on reason six and I’m already out. Sounds like a very poorly thought out device.

Maybe it’s better after a few fw updates, but sounds unattractive as is.

However, does anyone, especially more mainstream users, really want to go through the hassle of constantly changing the Apple TV 4K’s video output to suit different sources?

the answer for me is a resounding no. especially at that price point, i would expect a smarter device.

HDR is glitched on Netflix XB1. Probably want to turn off hdr watching non HDR shows and movies.

I may be wrong (I don't have an Xbox One S) but I remember reading about the xbone netflix app staying in HDR mode always when HDR is enabled on the xbox. It isn't smart enough to toggle HDR/SDR depending on the content.

Oh damn, well that explains it then. So it actually shows HDR on content that isn't HDR and ruins the show/movie?

Also in the video fidelity options on Xbox there is color depth and it's set to 23 bits per pixel. Is there any benefit to using any of the others?

It's interesting but except for HDR bright being a tad bit more bright the HDR Standard setting looks very very similar. I tried out Gears 4 and FH3.

And to my surprise HDR game mode comes close as well but that's because dynamic contrast was at high and because of that the colors actually seem a bit more dull. But in terms of brightness it's on par with HDR Standard. However certain effects aren't really present. Take for example Gears 4's Night Terrors chapter with the red stuff around the walls. It looks a bit shiney with HDR bright and standard and more dull with HDR game.

When I switched back to SDR the overall picture became brighter and not in a good way. It's nice to see what HDR can bring.

If you want something good to look at, try Infamous Last Light, looks incredible frankly, and there is a toggle In the menu so you can easily compare, SDR looks bad in comparison.

Smokey

Son was able to get into my B6 and see what software version it's on. It's showing me 04.31.20.

As far as I can tell, the HDR Game Mode update was 04.30.xx , so is it safe to say I shouldn't upgrade past the current firmware on the tv?

Kyoufu

Son was able to get into my B6 and see what software version it's on. It's showing me 04.31.20.

As far as I can tell, the HDR Game Mode update was 04.30.xx , so is it safe to say I shouldn't upgrade past the current firmware on the tv?

Yeah, leave as is.

Yeah, I went ahead and took mine offline. Hopefully we’ll still see support in the future.

Smokey

Messing around and it doesn't seem like I have HDR Game Mode on my B6 despite the firmware being 04.31.20. Under picture options I have Game, and a bunch of other picture settings, but only other HDR setting is 'HDR Effect' that I can set to Low, Med, or High.

Do you have to launch a HDR game for it to become available? Right now I'm just on the PS4 dash.

e - launching a game did it

the answer for me is a resounding no. especially at that price point, i would expect a smarter device.

Yup, the combined decisions of converting everything to either HDR10 or DV (if your set supports) as well as whatever refresh your set supports, across all content, with no way to enable a source direct mode, seems absolutely insane.

Hawk269

Messing around and it doesn't seem like I have HDR Game Mode on my B6 despite the firmware being 04.31.20. Under picture options I have Game, and a bunch of other picture settings, but only other HDR setting is 'HDR Effect' that I can set to Low, Med, or High.

Do you have to launch a HDR game for it to become available? Right now I'm just on the PS4 dash.

e - launching a game did it

Yeah, you have to launch a HDR enabled game and then the TV will switch to HDR mode. Good luck with your new set. Let us know how it works.

So, the correct color gamut setting is normal on an OLED B6, right? The difference in Horizon: Zero Dawn doesn't look like the picture above unless I set the gamut to wide. Obviously it's a different tv but still.

The normal looks a little weird to me, honestly. In The Last of Us menu for example, the leaves on the plant look so dull and drained from life on the normal setting. 🤔

Edit: HDTV Test says wide for games since it doesn't use the rec.2020 signaling.

Smokey

Yeah, you have to launch a HDR enabled game and then the TV will switch to HDR mode. Good luck with your new set. Let us know how it works.

So I just messed around a bit with NBA 2K18 since it was already on the disc. It showed 'HDR' in the upper right hand corner, and then a prompt came up about HDR from PS4 Pro. etc etc. Switched to HDR Game Mode.

Wow.

Everything was crisp and the colors were exceptional. Changing to Game Mode didn't cause any dip in brightness from what I can tell. Input lag was negligible. I was getting plenty of green timings (perfect) on my shots, and even a few early releases due to me naturally trying to compensate for input lag from my other tv.

Coming from a 55'' -> 65'' is a large adjustment, but everything remained crisp and clear due to PS4 Pro's output at 4k. I was impressed.

Thankfully I am on firmware 04.31.20 as mentioned in my previous post. I had to connect the TV to the network in order for me to use my phone as a remote, but I did turn off auto install for updates. When my remote comes in this week, I'll be sure to take it off my network.

For UHD players, do I set Color Gamut at Wide or Normal?

So, the correct color gamut setting is normal on an OLED B6, right? The difference in Horizon: Zero Dawn doesn't look like the picture above unless I set the gamut to wide. Obviously it's a different tv but still.

The normal looks a little weird to me, honestly. In The Last of Us menu for example, the leaves on the plant look so dull and drained from life on the normal setting. <span class="emoji-outer emoji-sizer"><span class="emoji-inner" style="background: url(chrome-extension://immhpnclomdloikkpcefncmfgjbkojmh/emoji-data/sheet_apple_64.png);background-position:56.25000000000001% 70.83333333333334%;background-size:4900%" data-codepoints="1f914"></span></span>

Edit: HDTV Test says wide for games since it doesn't use the rec.2020 signaling.

Hmm. Which one is it? Because Digital Foundry says to set it at 'Normal' HDR games

sector4

I'll have to save this list for once I actually have everything set up!

Do you mind sharing what kind of configuration you're running for Atmos? What ones, where, and maybe what AVR?

Sure thing! I'm running the Pioneer Elite Andrew Jones Dolby Atmos Speakers. I highly recommend them, but read some reviews and do some research yourself between the difference of enabled / ceiling mounted for Atmos setups. This video is about those specific speakers but touches on the differences between the two approaches, and I found it helpful at the time, dude knows what he's talking about. He used to be the chief designer at Pioneer and TAD (Pioneers premium speaker brand that sells $40,000 speakers)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBHDtPu9UJk

So I have a 5.1.4 setup (4 height channels) but my AVR is the Pioneer VSX-1130-K which is only 7 channels, so I run 5.1.2 with the plan to get a better AVR in the next few years. Here's a link to the speakers

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MQEE4M8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I have two floorstanders as fronts, two bookshelfs as rears and the centre channel, they're insanely good speakers.

There are pics of my setup here if you're curious what they look like in situ

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=226481770&postcount=286

Definitely a solid list. I was eyeing a cheap copy of Trolls, but dunno if I could get passed the actual movie just to see some great PQ. It has good reviews on RT, tho.

I just picked up John Wick and Logan this week to watch this weekend. What Atmos speakers do you have? I just have a pair of NHT AFX Mini's.

My most recent watch was The Shallows and seeing Blake Lively in 4K was just.. leofistbite.gif
Haha Trolls is actually a great movie imo, it's got a great soundtrack, is hilarious, and pure eye candy from start to finish. See above for my speakers, how about yourself? John Wick and Logan are sick, you won't be disappointed with either of those.

Haha yep! It's a good one :p

I actually just watched Blade Runner in 4K last night, and hot damn, add that to your Reference Quality list for both vision and audio, holy crap... just outstanding, and a revelation. Incredible, especially considering the films age.

The normal looks a little weird to me, honestly. In The Last of Us menu for example, the leaves on the plant look so dull and drained from life on the normal setting. &#129300;

I've heard people say Normal Gamut is the most accurate but to me it looks very dull so I keep mine on wide for games

Just a heads up for AUT GAF looking for a new TV. Saturn is giving a discount up to 4€ per " till 7.10.

The TV market is crazy. And I followed it the whole year. The 55XE93 started at 2699. Then 2299. Last week 2099. Now it's available at 1779. I think I jump in now.

@Smokey

Your firmware is at 04.31.20? Mine is at 10 and i have the dim game mode. I'm almost tempted to let the TV search for new firmware updates now. I've never installed the 20 update.

Does anyone know what the best color dept setting for Xbox is? This is found in the video fidelity options in sound and display and at default it's at 23 bits per pixel, 8 bit.

Theonik

There aren't many other ways though. And honestly, the pictures are actually more representative of how it looks here than I expected.

That’s some shitposting man

Pics look great and are a good indication of some of HDRs virtues, all things considered

I mean, I get what you’re trying to say, but no. HDR and sdr should not look the same in offscreen pictures. That’s just silly nonsense.
Am I supposed to take these posts seriously?

I have the chance to buy either a Sony X900E or an LG B7 OLED. Could anyone convince me on why should I get one over the other? I can't decide between the two. I've seen both live and both look quite stunning for me. OLED looks obviously better, but I'm so scared of burn-in and image retention.

III-V

You shouldn't be pushing your color up from 50 to 65. Nearly every decent set these days does not need any color adjustment. You are simply over saturating the snot out of your colors.

If you don't have a colorimeter, you should only adjust, USING A SET UP DISC, brightness, contrast, sharpness, and backlight (if applicable). If you adjust color, tint, greyscale, or gamma controls you will almost certainly fuck it up.

If you do not know the closest-to-accurate color temp, look up your set on rtings and get it from there.

Re:HDR - this is not a vivid mode color palette swap lol. If you change over to HDR from SDR and see most of the colors have changed, you are doing it wrong. HDR adds dynamic range to your brightness, both in white luminance and color luminance.

Where you will see the difference is typically in spectral highlights, where colors would normally saturate and turn white, they will no longer saturate, instead retain the ability to have color at an luminance not possible in SDR.

There are very few examples where a color SHOULD look different. A firetruck, for instance, should actually appear more red. SDR really could not get 'out' to red. HDR gets closer. Your blues should not look much different.

Additionally, we have no evidence that ANY game has been mastered into a WCG for HDR gaming. Most likely, they have simply been remapped from Rec709 into BT2020. That doesn't mean they cannot still make use of HDR color luminance, just that the base colors all reside within the 709/2020 mapping.

Hope that helps.

Alfredo_V

Neo Member
Tried out some gaming now on my LG OLEDB7V. IMO game mode in HDR seems to be effected of the latest firmware as well on this year LG OLED. Tried out Uncharted 4, Horizon and Resident Evil 7 and overall brightness is clearly effected, making the picture darker than it should. In RE7 i didnt see much details that wasn't lighted up by the flashlight for example (when exploring first house/area).

Enabling dynamic contrast seems to fix this in a way, but not completely. There's clear differences between HDR game mode and standard, the latter adding a way more brighter picture but with more input lag.
I have not tried out the "PC input fix" yet but I shouldn't need to switch that on, with other words LG should correct this upcoming firmware (hopefully).

I know all this has been mentioned earlier in this thread, I just share my experience that it seems to effect this year LG models also.

Am I supposed to take these posts seriously?

You decide for yourself what you want to take seriously. All I can say is I have zero reason to lie about this. The pics I took of Recore and Gears are pretty similar to how it looked on my TV itself. I did mention I was using HDR bright at its default settings though and for many that wouldn't be proper.

You shouldn't be pushing your color up from 50 to 65. Nearly every decent set these days does not need any color adjustment. You are simply over saturating the snot out of your colors.

If you don't have a colorimeter, you should only adjust, USING A SET UP DISC, brightness, contrast, sharpness, and backlight (if applicable). If you adjust color, tint, greyscale, or gamma controls you will almost certainly fuck it up.

If you do not know the closest-to-accurate color temp, look up your set on rtings and get it from there.

Re:HDR - this is not a vivid mode color palette swap lol. If you change over to HDR from SDR and see most of the colors have changed, you are doing it wrong. HDR adds dynamic range to your brightness, both in white luminance and color luminance.

Where you will see the difference is typically in spectral highlights, where colors would normally saturate and turn white, they will no longer saturate, instead retain the ability to have color at an luminance not possible in SDR.

There are very few examples where a color SHOULD look different. A firetruck, for instance, should actually appear more red. SDR really could not get 'out' to red. HDR gets closer. Your blues should not look much different.

Additionally, we have no evidence that ANY game has been mastered into a WCG for HDR gaming. Most likely, they have simply been remapped from Rec709 into BT2020. That doesn't mean they cannot still make use of HDR color luminance, just that the base colors all reside within the 709/2020 mapping.

Hope that helps.

Thanks man, I very much appreciate this. I am merely getting to know about HDR and haven't settled on a mode by a long shot yet. I've always been the type of person that tinkers a lot with settings and eventually settle on something. As soon as I started Recore I thought it looked nice in some parts and way too extreme and colorful in other parts. That's definitely because HDR Bright's default settings have Colour at 65 or so and I think even dynamic contrast is at low.

Basically it should look on par with SDR except for that things like sun/moonlight should be really "in your face" in terms how they are almost blinding right? And skies looking much more vivid, more depth? Because those are the things I noticed mostly in Forza Horizon 3 and Gears 4.

III-V

Basically it should look on par with SDR except for that things like sun/moonlight should be really "in your face" in terms how they are almost blinding right? And skies looking much more vivid, more depth? Because those are the things I noticed mostly in Forza Horizon 3 and Gears 4.

Those are good examples. Staring at the sun with HDR can be blindingly bright, particularly if you play in dim/dark room.

Have you watched HDR LG Chess? That is truly HDR done to the 9's. You will need to d/l and play from USB disk connected to your TV to watch it correctly.

What it can look like is something that you have never seen before in video or games. It adds a depth of realism. Some devs may only use it subtlety, other devs may use it more aggressively. The game or media is typically being remastered into HDR rather than captured/programmed that way initially. The best use I have seen is in The Witness (after HDR correction patch). The worst (big title) use, maybe TLOU remastered. Its going to take time for devs to learn the medium, so expect that not all HDR titles may use it in the same, way, or the correct way for that matter.

Also, maybe we will get a true WCG game soon.

Like I said to Mosquito, Last Light is seriously one of the most impressive games to use HDR, they did such a good job on it, I urge anyone to get on that.

I have the chance to buy either a Sony X900E or an LG B7 OLED. Could anyone convince me on why should I get one over the other? I can't decide between the two. I've seen both live and both look quite stunning for me. OLED looks obviously better, but I'm so scared of burn-in and image retention.
Anyone?

Like I said to Mosquito, Last Light is seriously one of the most impressive games to use HDR, they did such a good job on it, I urge anyone to get on that.

Metro Last Light has HDR support?

Smokey

@Smokey

Your firmware is at 04.31.20? Mine is at 10 and i have the dim game mode. I'm almost tempted to let the TV search for new firmware updates now. I've never installed the 20 update.

Does anyone know what the best color dept setting for Xbox is? This is found in the video fidelity options in sound and display and at default it's at 23 bits per pixel, 8 bit.

Yeah it's at .20. When I switched to HDR Game Mode, the screen didn't dim from what I can recall. It was on whatever the default is for HDR Game when you first fire it up (Bright?), and I tried to pay attention to when I switched to HDR Game and I didn't notice a difference? I'll have to double check again tonight.

Thought the dim game mode issue was after updating to the 05.30.01 firmware, but before that it was fine?

Think DOT meant InFamous first light. And yea, both games look great w HDR.
Oh, I see. I own an okayish Samsung set and the Infamous games look great on HDR.

(please somebody help me with my question above &#128532;)

I've said quite a lot about this on the last page. I won't repeat for fear of boring everyone to tears.
Ok, thanks. I'll check the last page to see if it helps me. Gosh, the anxiety of picking one of this sets is fucking KILLING ME.

I've said quite a lot about this on the last page. I won't repeat for fear of boring everyone to tears.

Edit: sorry it's like 4 pages ago. Long story short, I'd advise you to wait for a 2018 set or get whatever's the best deal where you live.

I'd wait for 2018 models. I loved the X900E, and they finally worked out the kinks on Android TV, but when playing HDR content, the chipset just couldn't handle it. Changing volume takes like 5 seconds to register. Trust me, that gets old fast.

Next year should see a better chipset, HDMI 2.1, and HDR output more in line with the 930 at the price point of the 900.

Hawk269

Tried out some gaming now on my LG OLEDB7V. IMO game mode in HDR seems to be effected of the latest firmware as well on this year LG OLED. Tried out Uncharted 4, Horizon and Resident Evil 7 and overall brightness is clearly effected, making the picture darker than it should. In RE7 i didnt see much details that wasn't lighted up by the flashlight for example (when exploring first house/area).

Enabling dynamic contrast seems to fix this in a way, but not completely. There's clear differences between HDR game mode and standard, the latter adding a way more brighter picture but with more input lag.
I have not tried out the "PC input fix" yet but I shouldn't need to switch that on, with other words LG should correct this upcoming firmware (hopefully).

I know all this has been mentioned earlier in this thread, I just share my experience that it seems to effect this year LG models also.

It Is not a fix. The PC mode brings with it color banding/gradients to the image. While it does allow you to use other picture modes with the same low input lag, the introduction of banding/gradients kills the image significantly.

It Is not a fix. The PC mode brings with it color banding/gradients to the image. While it does allow you to use other picture modes with the same low input lag, the introduction of banding/gradients kills the image significantly.

And yet so many people act like the LG OLEDs are basically perfect and there's no reason to ever go for an OLED/LCD from another brand

This stuff really, really matters if you're paying this much for a TV

ElNino

And yet so many people act like the LG OLEDs are basically perfect and there's no reason to ever go for an OLED/LCD from another brand

I don't think very many people have said that at all, certainly not here (from what I've seen).

I made the decision to go with the B7 over the 900E due partially to black performance, but mostly because in my family room (where this TV was going) my sitting is off center from the screen. I checked both in stores and I preferred the off angle viewing of the B7 better than the 900E, which is why I had previously went plasma over LCD. The banding is somewhat annoying, but almost every other aspect of the TV has been great for me so far. I'm sure the 900E would be good as well however.

In my upstairs media area I am using my "old" 1080p plasma that the B7 replaced, but if I get the urge to replace that TV then I'd lean heavily towards the 900E since it is a smaller areas with centered seating.

EDIT: I should also add, that coming from 10 years of plasma usage I am well accustomed to dealing with IR, and I can happily say that so far the B7 has been significantly better than any of the plasmas I have owned. To the point where I have not been able to see any despite plenty of gaming and static logo viewing. Could it happen eventually? Possibly, particularly with how my kids (and wife) sometimes use the TV, but so far it has been a complete non-factor.

I don't think very many people have said that at all, certainly not here (from what I've seen).

I made the decision to go with the B7 over the 900E due partially to black performance, but mostly because in my family room (where this TV was going) my sitting is off center from the screen. I checked both in stores and I preferred the off angle viewing of the B7 better than the 900E, which is why I had previously went plasma over LCD. The banding is somewhat annoying, but almost every other aspect of the TV has been great for me so far. I'm sure the 900E would be good as well however.

In my upstairs media area I am using my "old" 1080p plasma that the B7 replaced, but if I get the urge to replace that TV then I'd lean heavily towards the 900E since it is a smaller areas with centered seating.

EDIT: I should also add, that coming from 10 years of plasma usage I am well accustomed to dealing with IR, and I can happily say that so far the B7 has been significantly better than any of the plasmas I have owned. To the point where I have not been able to see any despite plenty of gaming and static logo viewing. Could it happen eventually? Possibly, particularly with how my kids (and wife) sometimes use the TV, but so far it has been a complete non-factor.
You'd be surprised. It's fine though, it's probably mostly people who've already bought an LG OLED.

I agree with you re: importance of viewing angles. If most people in your viewing area will be sitting (far) off-centre, OLED is basically your only decent choice.

Ok, thanks. I'll check the last page to see if it helps me. Gosh, the anxiety of picking one of this sets is fucking KILLING ME.
Sent you a PM, hope to help you out.

holygeesus

Banned

Yet you keep recommending the Sony OLED which has a lower peak brightness for HDR over the 7-series LG OLEDs? Bizarre.

Alfredo_V

Neo Member

Certainly not a fix then! So the only valid HDR mode is broken.. LG must really solve this.

Of course they aren't perfect, no TV ever will be. Other then HDR game mode, I'm very pleased with PQ though.

Kudo

Time has come. Just played match of Splatoon with it and in Eco Mode definitely felt the input lag, but it was more of a quick test as I'll be tuning the settings in Game Mode later.
Picture is gorgeous, Switch looks fantastic on it even if it it's sub native res.

psychotron

Sony customer service is just terrible. I tried chatting with them about the STR-DN1080 receiver. I want a receiver that can handle both Dolby Vision and HDR10 on the off chance that my 900e does get that as an update...or a future tv. This receiver says it does both on the Sony product page, but there's a footnote saying it's coming as an update in Fall 2017. But when looking at Amazon questions, responses from [Manufacturer] are saying it's not and won't be.

I chatted with a rep, that had no idea what Dolby Vision was, and kept referring to Atmos. I sent her a link to the product page, and she cited back the same product page to me as a reference. Then I called and was put on hold forever, and was again told that all they see listed on the features is Atmos. I just want to make sure Sony isn't going to back out of giving the DV support before I buy a $500 receiver. I know that's actually not much in the world of receivers, but I'm not rich, lol.

Sony customer service is just terrible. I tried chatting with them about the STR-DN1080 receiver. I want a receiver that can handle both Dolby Vision and HDR10 on the off chance that my 900e does get that as an update...or a future tv. This receiver says it does both on the Sony product page, but there's a footnote saying it's coming as an update in Fall 2017. But when looking at Amazon questions, responses from [Manufacturer] are saying it's not and won't be.

I chatted with a rep, that had no idea what Dolby Vision was, and kept referring to Atmos. I sent her a link to the product page, and she cited back the same product page to me as a reference. Then I called and was put on hold forever, and was again told that all they see listed on the features is Atmos. I just want to make sure Sony isn't going to back out of giving the DV support before I buy a $500 receiver. I know that's actually not much in the world of receivers, but I'm not rich, lol.

My LG B6 panel had to be replaced after 6 months and the technician told me that LG and Samsung have the best customer service. He told me Sony support sucks and I should stay away form SOny sue to the poor customer service...

psychotron

My LG B6 panel had to be replaced after 6 months and the technician told me that LG and Samsung have the best customer service. He told me Sony support sucks and I should stay away form SOny sue to the poor customer service...

Samsung is pretty good. They've always been good when I had TV issues, but the local repairmen they'd sent were horrible, lol. Not their fault really as we don't have many options.

I just want to get a receiver now so I don't have to keep switching cables due to my receiver not supporting 4k/60. It shouldn't be this hard to get a straight answer, especially since the product page shows it as compatible.

Lnkn52

Whats the better streaming service for UHD Movies?

I was looking to get an Apple TV cause of the pricing of the movies there but already have a collection of old movies on VUDU.

Top Bottom