• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

e90Mark

Sony customer service is just terrible. I tried chatting with them about the STR-DN1080 receiver. I want a receiver that can handle both Dolby Vision and HDR10 on the off chance that my 900e does get that as an update...or a future tv. This receiver says it does both on the Sony product page, but there's a footnote saying it's coming as an update in Fall 2017. But when looking at Amazon questions, responses from [Manufacturer] are saying it's not and won't be.

I chatted with a rep, that had no idea what Dolby Vision was, and kept referring to Atmos. I sent her a link to the product page, and she cited back the same product page to me as a reference. Then I called and was put on hold forever, and was again told that all they see listed on the features is Atmos. I just want to make sure Sony isn't going to back out of giving the DV support before I buy a $500 receiver. I know that's actually not much in the world of receivers, but I'm not rich, lol.

Samsung is pretty good. They've always been good when I had TV issues, but the local repairmen they'd sent were horrible, lol. Not their fault really as we don't have many options.

I just want to get a receiver now so I don't have to keep switching cables due to my receiver not supporting 4k/60. It shouldn't be this hard to get a straight answer, especially since the product page shows it as compatible.
Any reason why that Sony receiver specifically?
For $500 you can get a Marantz/Denon that would pass DV right now.

psychotron

Whats the better streaming service for UHD Movies?

I was looking to get an Apple TV cause of the pricing of the movies there but already have a collection of old movies on VUDU.

Vudu has an app on Apple TV. I'd research it a bit though. I was reading some really odd things about how the 4k Apple TV is behaving with different sources. I want one too but I need to research it more.

e90Mark

The Sony was rated very highly by CNET, and I'm hooking it up to a Sony TV with all Sony surround speakers. It'll match very nicely, lol.

I can understand that from an OCD perspective. I like to do that myself, but just in case Sony doesn't release a DV update, take a look at the Denon AVR-S930H. Also a $500 receiver, but ready to pass DV and HLG today.

Should be very similar to the Sony.

psychotron

I can understand that from an OCD perspective. I like to do that myself, but just in case Sony doesn't release a DV update, take a look at the Denon AVR-S930H. Also a $500 receiver, but ready to pass DV and HLG today.

Should be very similar to the Sony.

I was looking at that Denon. It's definitely a possibility.

Yet you keep recommending the Sony OLED which has a lower peak brightness for HDR over the 7-series LG OLEDs? Bizarre.
It's not weird to prefer it over the LG despite lower peak brightness, for a variety of well-documented reasons.

What's bizarre is to say I keep recommending it when all I've ever said (once) is that I'd love to be able to afford it and that it has a couple of advantages over the LG. But I've never recommended it; I'd never recommend something I haven't used.

Suit yourself though!  ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Poppyseed

Tried out some gaming now on my LG OLEDB7V. IMO game mode in HDR seems to be effected of the latest firmware as well on this year LG OLED. Tried out Uncharted 4, Horizon and Resident Evil 7 and overall brightness is clearly effected, making the picture darker than it should. In RE7 i didnt see much details that wasn't lighted up by the flashlight for example (when exploring first house/area).

Enabling dynamic contrast seems to fix this in a way, but not completely. There's clear differences between HDR game mode and standard, the latter adding a way more brighter picture but with more input lag.
I have not tried out the "PC input fix" yet but I shouldn't need to switch that on, with other words LG should correct this upcoming firmware (hopefully).

I know all this has been mentioned earlier in this thread, I just share my experience that it seems to effect this year LG models also.

Make sure Dynamic Contrast is set to LOW (for HDR content), which is the required setting on the 2017 LG OLEDs. That doesn't actually enable dynamic contrast, but enables the metadata for correct HDR processing. Setting it to medium/high DOES enable dynamic contrast, which you don't want.

Kaiken

Banned
Cross posting from blu-ray thread:

Is Samsung HDR Pro just a gimmick name and not really HDR at all? This shit has me all kinds of confused.

Smokey

Cross posting from blu-ray thread:

Is Samsung HDR Pro just a gimmick name and not really HDR at all? This shit has me all kinds of confused.

Believe so. LG has a similar picture setting where it's not actually HDR, just oversaturates the colors.

Has anybody picked up an Apple TV 4k and have any impressions?

Make sure Dynamic Contrast is set to LOW (for HDR content), which is the required setting on the 2017 LG OLEDs. That doesn't actually enable dynamic contrast, but enables the metadata for correct HDR processing. Setting it to medium/high DOES enable dynamic contrast, which you don't want.

I’ve seen this suggested before, but every time i’m in HDR game mode the option is greyed out for me. Am I missing something? I have the 2017 C7 model.

Kudo

What sound profile people use on the LG OLEDs? Can't afford better sound setup in near future so it's headphones and internal speakers for a while.
Game sounds okay to me, Standard sounded kinda distant?

Weevilone

Believe so. LG has a similar picture setting where it's not actually HDR, just oversaturates the colors.

I'll have mine today, but there are tons of negative impressions out there already. The new ATV forcefully upscales SDR to HDR and 24Hz to 60Hz unless you want to babysit the device and manually configure output for each bit of content.

I don't think anyone does SDR to HDR with any bit of quality, including Apple. That's pointless upscaling in the name of simplicity. Allegedly this is all so no HDMI handshakes or on-screen indicators are triggered by changing refresh or HDR mode.

tmdorsey

I have one. Only had a chance to mess around with the interface and watched a SDR show and HDR movie.

The force up conversion of SDR to HDR is definitely a problem and needs to be corrected. Other than that in my limited experience everything is fine. Setting the box to output 4K SDR makes all non HDR mastered content look good. Rented a UHD HDR movie (Moonlight) and it looked pretty good. Can really comment on audio because all I have at the moment is a 5.1 soundbar connected to my tv.

holygeesus

Banned
It's not weird to prefer it over the LG despite lower peak brightness, for a variety of well-documented reasons.

Nah it is pretty weird to say the LG isn't perfect because of it's issue with dimness, but then to recommend a set even dimmer, with more gaming lag. No TV is perfect, but you have shown strange loyalty to Sony in here, despite, as you say, not owning one. Someone else called you out on it before. It just comes across as weird.

Leeway

Neo Member
cross posting this from the Sony X900E thread just to get some opinions:

So I just got the 65" version a few weeks and while it's great, I've just recently (within the past week), noticed some white spots flickering whenever my ps4 pro switches to HDR mode (which it also seems to automatically do for netflix for some reason??). Quite noticeable during particularly dark moments on screen. The pro is going through a Pioneer receiver, so I tried connecting directly to the TV and noticed the white flickering spots disappeared. I went into the settings of the HDMI output on the receiver the pro is on and noticed it's set to 4:4:4, I switched it to 4:2:2, but then everything was washed out when the pro went to HDR mode. So I then switched the receiver back to 4:4:4, and over the last day or so I've noticed the white spots have disappeared, though I suspect the problem may crop up again.

I'm not too used to tinkering with all these settings, so I've left my PS4 video output to auto, which I think is for the best? I've noticed if I set it to YUV420 for HDR content the white spots do not show up as well. Only in RGB or auto mode do they have a tendency to show up when passing through the receiver. I guess I'd just like to hear some of your thoughts or if any of you have experienced similar issues.

Nah it is pretty weird to say the LG isn't perfect because of it's issue with dimness, but then to recommend a set even dimmer, with more gaming lag. No TV is perfect, but you have shown strange loyalty to Sony in here, despite, as you say, not owning one. Someone else called you out on it before. It just comes across as weird.
Strange loyalty? I've only ever discussed my personal experience.

Lower peak brightness isn't the same as being 'dim', and I'm not accusing the LG of dimness anywhere. But I've given you too much attention already. I'm not engaging anyone casually throwing around accusations of bias.

zeeaykay

Does anyone think the 65B7A could go much below 2K on Black Friday? I'm starting to get impatient, and with up to $500 price matching from $2,500 I'm wondering if I'll actually save that much by waiting another few months.

I'm basically just asking for permission from strangers on the internet to pull the trigger.

I won't have a 4K blu-ray player until the 1X comes out, but my recent justification for wanting the TV sooner rather than later is to watch some good solid horror flicks on it leading to Halloween. I still haven't seen the Shining and this seema like a great excuse to buy the T.V. and watch it before October 31.

My god this rationalization is ridiculous but I want to buy it.

Ashhong

Does anyone think the 65B7A could go much below 2K on Black Friday? I'm starting to get impatient, and with up to $500 price matching from $2,500 I'm wondering if I'll actually save that much by waiting another few months.

I'm basically just asking for permission from strangers on the internet to pull the trigger.

I won't have a 4K blu-ray player until the 1X comes out, but my recent justification for wanting the TV sooner rather than later is to watch some good solid horror flicks on it leading to Halloween. I still haven't seen the Shining and this seema like a great excuse to buy the T.V. and watch it before October 31.

My god this rationalization is ridiculous but I want to buy it.

That was on sale for about 1800$ about a month ago when I bought my 55" for 1500$. It was through BeachCamera. You might want to try giving them a call and seeing what their prices are now. Then you can price match it for even less

edit: or maybe it was the 55" C7 at that price. Either way the 65" was fairly cheap I think

The TV in the lounge died on me at the weekend so i'm after a replacement and wondered if anyone could offer some suggestions.

Due to the alcove the tv will be going into the set can't be much wider than 92cm, so i've been loking at 43 inch screens.

Other than that I guess I want 4K and budget is around £1K although it would be great if it was less than that.

TV gets about as much use gaming as it does TV/Movies.

Also, I'm in the UK.

MazeHaze

Banned
Strange loyalty? I've only ever discussed my personal experience.

Lower peak brightness isn't the same as being 'dim', and I'm not accusing the LG of dimness anywhere. But I've given you too much attention already. I'm not engaging anyone casually throwing around accusations of bias.
It came across that way to me too tbh. Downplaying issues the Sony has while blowing up any of the LGs quirks, and whenever anyone mentions any issue with an LG set you show up to say "and everybody acts like I'm craaaaazy for saying LG OLED isn't the best" and implying anyone who loves the LG just has owner's bias.

Just seems kinda weird.

hollams

Gold Member
I’ve seen this suggested before, but every time i’m in HDR game mode the option is greyed out for me. Am I missing something? I have the 2017 C7 model.

On my C6 I had to change the HDMI setting from PC to Console(Game) in order to get that option. With it set to the PC it was greyed out switched to console and then I could change it. Not sure you can do 4:4:4 chroma in console though so you may lose that by switching.

Ok guys, i made more photos and i did my very best to make them as representative of the real deal here. The SDR pics are still brighter than they are here but you can definitely see that HDR brings more detail. Especially pay attention to the skies (especially the clouds, more detail in them), fire being more bright etc. One of the Gears 4 shots shows a dark area looking rather bright (again on this pic overly bright in SDR) with SDR and proper dark with HDR. Some Gears 4 SDR shots may look slightly washed out and while they aren't this bad here on my TV, HDR definitely improved on that as well.

I'm not really sure about Recore yet, Joule herself looks too dark and i can't really seem to improve that, in HDR. But other things look better with HDR in that game compared to SDR. SDR's settings were exactly the same as the HDR settings, so i would say this is a proper comparison. Of course in no way 100% representative of the real thing.

SDR

8MwdYbv.png

HDR

lBVPCyl.png

SDR

hCXK13N.jpg

HDR

vRiTDaV.jpg

SDR

jOdN0d9.jpg

HDR

qQyIUsY.jpg

SDR

J1iL6h5.jpg

HDR

JrFbUXm.jpg

SDR

vcGY2Zj.jpg

HDR

fInW9bw.jpg

SDR

EivPMBc.jpg

HDR

aHYEmIp.jpg

SDR

y0onago.jpg

HDR

6dvpnus.jpg

SDR

FfAnRJj.jpg

HDR

gEgZWCS.jpg

SDR

7X3T8M4.jpg

HDR

CEwR3VD.jpg

SDR

pXKCxzP.jpg

HDR

grgzdlY.jpg

SDR

W0Nv6SS.jpg

HDR

BqgBMEx.jpg

SDR

AmJclX1.jpg

HDR

gRyuPHT.jpg

SDR

PnQGVea.jpg

HDR

JVh5JjO.jpg

sector4

Planet Earth looks amazing on my B6 plus ultra hd sony player. The only thing that bothers me is some pixelation whenever something moves I don't know if it is from the movie or something with the hdr mode that I am watching
That sounds like some picture processing or motion interpolation is causing artefacting in your settings. I'm sure other people with your TV will be able to suggest optimal settings for your set, but you shouldn't be seeing anything like that on Planet Earth II.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Hey guys. I'm on an OLED 65" C6P. I'm on firmware update 4.31.00. The one that came with my TV. If I wanted to update(or downgrade) to a firmware, whats the best one for me to go to? I'm fine with updating through USB.

And if there is a recommended one, anyone know where to download it?

Smokey

I am streaming a ultra hd hdr show from netflix right now. I chose 'Chef's Table'. Wanted to see how HDR looked in a more subtle way versus Planet Earth II. I am streaming on the 5ghz band. No hiccups or buffering. Picture looks great. The HDR is really neat here. There's different gradients of white which is what I was looking for. Chef's apron, dressing on the table, plates, food colors. Then you have the sunlight and outdoor scenes. Night scenes pop with the black sky and street lighting. It all looks really good.

If it wasn't for data caps, I'd say this would be the way forward. You can easily tell the high quality of the stream and combined with the HDR it's just a fantastic picture. Unfortunately, caps DO exist. Fuck Comcast.

Hawk269

I need opinions....

I have gotten extremely lucky with the panel lottery and have a nice LG E7 OLED. With the issues of PC Mode having gradients and while I think the standard HDMI Game Mode is not horrible I do wish it was brighter. However, games do look fantastic and a lot of that comes from the tech in OLED with it's black level that to me make games look really good.

My options are to get a Sony 65" ZD9, which is rated the best LED that gets closest to OLED. There would be no fear of burn in and I know that HDR would be brighter just because of the nature of the tech, but it would not the black level.

What would you do? I am so conflicted. I have had my LG for 2 weeks now and only was able to put 60 or so hours on it since we moved into a new home and all that is involved with that. Should I stick with it or should I move to the ZD9?

Thanks!

Smokey

I need opinions....

I have gotten extremely lucky with the panel lottery and have a nice LG E7 OLED. With the issues of PC Mode having gradients and while I think the standard HDMI Game Mode is not horrible I do wish it was brighter. However, games do look fantastic and a lot of that comes from the tech in OLED with it's black level that to me make games look really good.

My options are to get a Sony 65" ZD9, which is rated the best LED that gets closest to OLED. There would be no fear of burn in and I know that HDR would be brighter just because of the nature of the tech, but it would not the black level.

What would you do? I am so conflicted. I have had my LG for 2 weeks now and only was able to put 60 or so hours on it since we moved into a new home and all that is involved with that. Should I stick with it or should I move to the ZD9?

Thanks!

If it was me and I had a high budget, I'd probably go with the Z9D tbh. It gets brighter and the blacks probably aren't THAT far off from OLED in actual viewing situations. Itd be the only LED I'd take over OLED as a permanent, main display.

Kyoufu

I need opinions....

Thanks!

If you want a much brighter image then you can get the ZD9, it's a really good HDR TV and it has very good blacks thanks to the FALD.

Personally speaking but I would have just waited for CES 2018 to see if LG has made any strides in raising OLED peak brightness and if Sony has a ZD9 successor to announce. Also, HDMI 2.1.

But yeah, the ZD9 is going to be your best bet outside of OLED right now.

Hawk269

Do you have that HDMI input set with the PC Icon? If you do that is why it is greyed out. If you don't have it set to PC, it should allow you to chose Dynamic Contrast without a issue. I bought my E7 2 weeks ago and did not have internet at the time so it was using whatever Firmware it had and it allowed it and when I finally did update the Firmware it was still available. As mentioned the only way I found that it does not allow is when the input is set as PC.

So I was searching on Google and I found this link. I was aware of LG being very clear on thinking HDR Game mode is how it's supposed to be now. It's quite clear they don't intend to change that anytime soon if at all.

What I didn't know is that LG might be planning to put this change into the other HDR modes as well. I sure as fuck hope they won't do that though. Wtf are they thinking? I thought there were plans to make HDR game mode like that on every OLED set but actually all the HDR modes? Fuck off.

Link:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fo...onds-again-and-you-probably-wont-like-it/amp/

In fact, LG customer services today told one of my LG OLED-owning Twitter followers that the changes made to the HDR Game mode might be extended to cover all of LG’s HDR modes, not just the game one!

Hawk269

If it was me and I had a high budget, I'd probably go with the Z9D tbh. It gets brighter and the blacks probably aren't THAT far off from OLED in actual viewing situations. Itd be the only LED I'd take over OLED as a permanent, main display.

The ZD9 has dropped in price. Best Buy has it at $3999.99 and I can get it from Cleveland Plasma for $3350 w/ no tax and free shipping. It would actually be cheaper than the LG E7 which I paid $3499.99 and now is back up to $3999.99.

I am just debating with myself on the plus and minus of each set. The fact that there is a lot of people having issue with screen uniformity, granted those with issues will be more vocal and all...but my screen is basically perfect. OLED black level is outstanding and games really pop...but when it comes to brightness level I know the ZD9 can kick serious butt with it's brightness. I know both are great sets..I guess hearing all these issues with LG potentially making things worse with firmware is bothering me.

For example, the most recent patch for the Seven Series gave all TV picture modes when using it as PC mode the same input lag, but in their lack of testing did not realize that it introduced color banding/gradients in every picture mode. So they make progress in one regard with improving input lag on all picture settings but destroy the image with the introduction of gradients/color banding making the mode useless now all together.

I am in that position of wondering if the grass is greener on the other side and if I wanted to switch back would I get lucky with another E7 that has great screen uniformity. Waiting till next CES was out of the question as this was for my Game Room in our new house and need to have a screen in that room, especially as we get closer to the Xbox One X release.

zeeaykay

The ZD9 has dropped in price. Best Buy has it at $3999.99 and I can get it from Cleveland Plasma for $3350 w/ no tax and free shipping. It would actually be cheaper than the LG E7 which I paid $3499.99 and now is back up to $3999.99.

I am just debating with myself on the plus and minus of each set. The fact that there is a lot of people having issue with screen uniformity, granted those with issues will be more vocal and all...but my screen is basically perfect. OLED black level is outstanding and games really pop...but when it comes to brightness level I know the ZD9 can kick serious butt with it's brightness. I know both are great sets..I guess hearing all these issues with LG potentially making things worse with firmware is bothering me.

For example, the most recent patch for the Seven Series gave all TV picture modes when using it as PC mode the same input lag, but in their lack of testing did not realize that it introduced color banding/gradients in every picture mode. So they make progress in one regard with improving input lag on all picture settings but destroy the image with the introduction of gradients/color banding making the mode useless now all together.

I am in that position of wondering if the grass is greener on the other side and if I wanted to switch back would I get lucky with another E7 that has great screen uniformity. Waiting till next CES was out of the question as this was for my Game Room in our new house and need to have a screen in that room, especially as we get closer to the Xbox One X release.

You sound pretty content with your current situation. If you're not unhappy I wouldn't bother swapping it out just to see if it might be a better TV for you. You might be stuck in that situation of just chasing something better for the sake of it, when you have a great TV that fits most of your needs.

Also I did check HDR Game Mode again, and yes it's noticeably dimmer than say HDR Bright. Damnit.

Yeah it's fucking bullshit. Their response is just so goddamn terrible. How about you give your customers options? I like HDR bright and I'd love if HDR game was exactly like that. If they actually start fucking with the other HDR modes too.... sigh. Don't fix something that isn't broken LG, please.

In their response they even mention that HDR game used to be like HDR Standard in terms of brightness but they changed that. Apparently there are people out there that like HDR game mode the way it is now.

Good thing I have automatic updates disabled.

Time has come. Just played match of Splatoon with it and in Eco Mode definitely felt the input lag, but it was more of a quick test as I'll be tuning the settings in Game Mode later.
Picture is gorgeous, Switch looks fantastic on it even if it it's sub native res.

Sweet!

Agreed, Switch looks quite good on my OLED as well. Can't wait to see Xenoblade 2 on it. :)

Those pics make me want to play Recore.

Off topic, but anyone own the Sony DN1080 receiver? The product page says that Dolby Vision support is coming through an update, but is Sony reliable? I'd hate to blow $500 and it doesn't get the update.

Yeah, I'm interested in playing that eventually.

I have never had their receivers (still would be using my Pioneer from Costco in here if it wasn't too old for 4K HDR) until this recent one, thanks to a amazon sale thread getting posted here last Christmas, so I've got no idea about how they've been with promised firmware update features for receivers but it could be reliable since several of their top TV are also awaiting the Dolby Vision update. Especially since they've actually got the logo on the product page. Not sure Dolby would be cool with that if it weren't one of the devices they approved to get it. Not sure if there's any way to know for sure though until the firmware drops which for the TVs still seems to be vaguely "Fall".

ElNino

Yeah it's fucking bullshit. Their response is just so goddamn terrible. How about you give your customers options? I like HDR bright and I'd love if HDR game was exactly like that. If they actually start fucking with the other HDR modes too.... sigh. Don't fix something that isn't broken LG, please.

In their response they even mention that HDR game used to be like HDR Standard in terms of brightness but they changed that. Apparently there are people out there that like HDR game mode the way it is now.

Good thing I have automatic updates disabled.
While I did find HDR Game to a bit too dim the last time I tried it, I also find HDR Standard (and certainly HDR Bright) to be too bright as well. I've settled in with HDR Cinema and it seems to be pretty good so far. I do have some banding when playing games, but they are not enough to bother me yet... we'll see how it's handled going forward.

While I did find HDR Game to a bit too dim the last time I tried it, I also find HDR Standard (and certainly HDR Bright) to be too bright as well. I've settled in with HDR Cinema and it seems to be pretty good so far. I do have some banding when playing games, but they are not enough to bother me yet... we'll see how it's handled going forward.

HDR cinema? I don't have that one on my B6. Just now I was playing Gears 4 and I decided to give HDR another shot. Put dynamic Contrast at medium because at high it really messes the colour up. In terms of brightness it comes quite close to HDR bright but certain lighting effects like moonlight shining through mountains and stuff are nice and bright with HDR bright, I love how that looks and more toned down almost pale with HDR game. Same goes for the clouds in FH3. They look superb with HDR bright, not so much with HDR game.

All in all I can live with this. I'll be using HDR bright in most games that don't require lightning fast reflexes and I'll go HDR game for things like upcoming shooters like Battlefront 2 and such.

That is.... if LG keeps these HDR modes as they are and don't force that shit into the other modes. If they do however, hopefully we can keep ignoring the updates. I'll definitely keep automatic updates off though.

Smokey

Was able to easily get Netflix 4k working, but that was through my LG UHD player. I'm trying to watch Amazon 4K content via the App on the B6, and having issues? I selected something I know that is 4k and HDR like Grand Tour for example, and it's not activating. What step am I missing?

Was able to easily get Netflix 4k working, but that was through my LG UHD player. I'm trying to watch Amazon 4K content via the App on the B6, and having issues? I selected something I know that is 4k and HDR like Grand Tour for example, and it's not activating. What step am I missing?

It has to be in the UHD section.

Smokey

It has to be in the UHD section.

Right. There's a Prime 4k Ultra HD Movies section, is there not a similar section for original content?

Bosch S2 for example, is supposed to be UHD and Dolby Vision, but I don't get the DV logo, and it only shows at 1080p via Amazon App on the B6. On the episode select screen it doesnt say anything about HDR, when there should be a symbol.

There's an UHD section for shows as well. For me, I just clicked on "TV" and it's in the third column right under "watch next - tv shows." If it's not there for you just keep scrolling down until you find it.

Smokey

There's an UHD section for shows as well. For me, I just clicked on "TV" and it's in the third column right under "watch next - tv shows." If it's not there for you just keep scrolling down until you find it.

Eventually found it. Watching Grand Tour now. UHD Movies was several rows above UHD TV or whatever. Not nearly as easy to find content as Netflix, but I got it. Grand Tour looks really good.

So I was searching on Google and I found this link. I was aware of LG being very clear on thinking HDR Game mode is how it's supposed to be now. It's quite clear they don't intend to change that anytime soon if at all.

What I didn't know is that LG might be planning to put this change into the other HDR modes as well. I sure as fuck hope they won't do that though. Wtf are they thinking? I thought there were plans to make HDR game mode like that on every OLED set but actually all the HDR modes? Fuck off.

Link:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fo...onds-again-and-you-probably-wont-like-it/amp/
I've eagerly followed every response from LG about this situation hoping for a fix, and they've been utterly unreliable. I'll directly quote myself from a few months back (yes, a few months, I've been fighting this for months!)

I still can't wrap my head around what an absolute cluster of horse crap LG's response to this issue has been. Initially they said they were aware of the problem and were working on a fix, then the American and Canadian branch started suspiciously implying this was a deliberate change even though it wasn't included in the patch notes. Then some other branches of LG started saying they were going to put this out to the 2017 models (which they haven't yet), and not just to the HDR game mode either but apparently to all the HDR modes. Oh, and I was informed by LG themselves that they had already forced out this new tone-mapping into all the HDR modes in the 2016 and 2017 series which is just a downright lie. This new tone-mapping only effects the HDR game mode of the C/E/G 2016 series, the B model isn't effected although it does have a dimmer HDR game mode due to a screen tearing issue but to nowhere near the extent of how dim the C/E/G series currently is. The C/E/G series also never suffered from any screen tearing issues, their previous HDR game mode's tone-mapping was completely in line with the standard HDR mode which hasn't been changed, and honestly I don't think it will. I don't think LG will enforce this change onto their 2017 series, or the other HDR modes, I think this new tone-mapping will stay exclusive to the poor old HDR game mode of the C/E/G models because nothing about this situation screams like a deliberate change on LG's behalf. Hell, even an LG employee said this change was forced on us by some engineers without much thought before their statement was taken down by LG.

I purchased my LG OLED when they released the HDR game mode update, I was very happy with their implementation of HDR. A nice balance of detail in the highlights while also still retaining a vibrant screen which is a must for HDR content. Then they forced a change on me that essentially destroyed my $3000 purchase without even giving me a heads up forcing me to downgrade and then refuse any future updates, just because they can't be bothered giving us the old HDR game mode as an option. All they'd have to do is give two HDR game modes, a bright pre-set with the old in my opinion superior tone-mapping, and a dark pre-set with the new aggressive tone-mapping. Something that would take one of their engineers literally a few hours to implement, will they do that? No, much easier just to tell everyone to throw dynamic contrast on.

I've been pushed to the edge by this crap even though I was thankfully able to downgrade with the help of another neogaf user (this is only possible for C/E/G models, the B model has never had a working bright HDR game mode) but I still really want LG to resolve this problem. Now from what I can see the B6 and 2017 OLEDs aren't plagued by the ridiculously dim tone-mapping of the C/E/G 2016 models, so you guys are lucky there, but if they do force out the aggressive tone-mapping of the 2016 C/E/G models to everything I think we'll be seeing a much larger uproar over this problem.

To breakdown what's happening, because there seems to be a lot of confusion on this problem, the 2016 C/E/G series used to have a HDR game mode that was actually slightly brighter than HDR standard but clipped quite a bit of detail in the highlights to achieve that level of brightness. It still offered a more detailed image than SDR of course but detail in bright scenes were clipped. Sadly that's a necessity due to limited overall screen brightness of current OLEDs, but I think it's an acceptable necessity and one that I didn't see anyone complaining about with the prior implementation. It's safe to say that the majority were content with how the C/E/G models handled their HDR game mode. I know I was happy. Now the change that LG has forced upon us with no warning changes the tone-mapping so that it never clips detail, which in theory is good, but with OLEDs destroys the screen brightness. The only solution being to use dynamic contrast (I hate dynamic contrast, it buggers up brightness, contrast, gamma levels, washes out colours, causes posterization, and has a constantly fluctuating screen) which even if set on high still doesn't produce a screen as punchy as the old HDR game mode. It's an unfortunate situation, some people might prefer the new implementation due to the better detail in highlights, but I personally don't think it's worth the sacrifice, and as I've said before, I believe LG should give us an option either in the form of a bright and dark pre-set for HDR game, or better yet an option for when we want to clip our detail. That way everyone wins.

I gotta say though, I'm pretty happy now that I've downgraded. My HDR game mode is damn bright, I've actually had to set the OLED light to 85 to avoid eye strain at night time viewing. My HDR game mode is actually slightly brighter than the standard mode, so I think I've got pretty lucky with my C6. Uniformity is pretty good too (not perfect, but good) and now that I've downgraded and planning on staying downgraded the only thing I need to worry about is burn-in. I've had a few scares there as a gamer but thankfully nothing permanent. I don't know if it's possible for B6 owners to have a HDR game mode as bright as my C6 because they did try but it came with some awful screen tearing as a side effect, might be an inherent limitation due to the B6's unique chipset. But if the 2017 models have a slightly dimmer HDR game mode I still think they should get a bright pre-set that goes as bright as my HDR game mode. More options for everyone is always better than forcing the majority to be unhappy whet it's really not necessary. LG has handled this situation terribly, and one day I hope I'll be able to upgrade and be content. I still get harassed to update daily (my router buggers up when blocking LG and shuts down sporadically), and would very much like to have confidence in LG to update, but they have destroyed that trust. Especially now with them ruining perfect blacks. I just don't know man, for such an expensive product LG hasn't been doing good by their customers lately. By downgrading however I've got one hell of a unique TV, an OLED with a really bright HDR game mode, and the best damn 3D out there. So that's my silver lining.

suikoden352

Neo Member
I need some help, folks. My budget is 700 bucks at the most and I’ve been looking at the 2017 Vizio 55” m-series 4K set with hdr. I have also been reading up on the tcl set which pops up occassionally on the gaming side of the site. My wife and I have been using a 32” vizio tv which I have had for the last 10+ years. I am about to get a payout for some of my comp time from work hence the reason why I am looking to get a new set. I know a budget around 700 at most limits my options but with 4K and her becoming more accepted and cheaper than 3D ever did, I figured it would be a good time to jump in though i’m sure I could probably get better deals on Black Thursday(Friday)/ cyber Monday or even around the super bowl. Any help would be appreciated. I like the vizio m-series because it offers me 4 hdmi ports which would work for my ps4, Xbox one, switch, and Apple TV. I eventually plan to slowly update my consoles to the newer 4K hdr machines once they become more affordable and there’s more reason to get the newer systems which the new tv would help incentivize I would think. If there are other suggestions though, I would like to read them.

So i have to tune in. I follow this thread daily and if he puhses one TV it's the xe9005 and not the oled, which is totally fine because its the best mid range tv this year and this is a gaming forum with members i believe are younger then say on a hifi board, which usually don't spend 3k on a TV. The LG is not perfect and if money is no concern I would also recommend the A1. Why? Better upscaling, smooth graduation, not running the risk (I don't remember any incident with Sony) to get an update which makes the tv worse. Could you please stop now.

Edit: To not let it out Android OS on Sony Tv's is sluggish and breaks down sometimes, LGs is much better. There are vids out there to make the Android a little bit better. And yes the Sony clips highlights because of tonemapping. Did I forgot something.

Maybe we just do a pro and con for every TV, to settle it for this year ^_~

Top Bottom