• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

e90Mark

Haha dang. Well in that case, any tips for best bang for my buck at 60-65 range? Ideally I'd like to stay as far under $1k as I can, but I'd definitely like something with good response time for games.

With Black Friday looming should I just wait until then? What should I be keeping any eye out for?

Hmm, not really sure what to recommend for that ask. Maybe someone else has an idea, but you could hope the 65" X900E somehow hits under $1k this holiday.

For that size and budget, a lot of the time you will just get 4k, but no real HDR.

Poppyseed

just got my 2017 LG OLED, and after a few hours of set up with my av receiver and ps4 pro. i think i'm up and running.

It's very odd that when it detects HDR content it changes the picture mode to one of five seperate HDR picture modes.

What modes to people use for say HDR Netflix? An HDR Game? and movies that are not HDR, non HDR games?

It’s not odd. It’s brilliant since you can maintain different picture settings (OLED brightness etc) between SDR and HDR. Apparently Samsung never got that memo: Game Mode uses the same settings for HDR and SDR. Oy...

Was just thinking about getting a 65" 900E, hearing people are having issue with jutter is concerning.

I have a few other questions.

Is the price likely to go back up?

Is there anything in the $1800 price range for a 65 inch I should be looking at?

I was reading that it has 100mhz refresh rate, but supports 120hz input. What am I losing here?
There aren't any judder issues on the 900E. However, the 65 inch version has banding issues. Maybe they're fixed on newer models, but be sure to buy somewhere you can return without hassle.

Swarlee

There aren't any judder issues on the 900E. However, the 65 inch version has banding issues. Maybe they're fixed on newer models, but be sure to buy somewhere you can return without hassle.

So this is a defect that happens on some of the models? Is there an easy test if I do get the set to see if it's effected?

Kudo

Has anyone here had to play with the Tint setting on OLED? Wish I could get mine calibrated to make end of it but playing with the settings always finding something that looks better, heh.

Saad

The LG store near by has amazing discounts on TVs and since I'll need to buy one in the bear future anyways, I decided to jump the gun.

My options are OLED55B7V or 65SJ850V, both are priced the same at 7,000 SAR (about $1850)

Is OLED worth sacrificing the the extra 10"?

Xbox One X is nearing release....i haven't been playing 4K games on my 65B6 yet, so owners of a 4K OLED and a Pro, what settings do you use? So things like sharpness, colour etc?

Smokey

The LG store near by has amazing discounts on TVs and since I'll need to buy one in the bear future anyways, I decided to jump the gun.

My options are OLED55B7V or 65SJ850V, both are priced the same at 7,000 SAR (about $1850)

Is OLED worth sacrificing the the extra 10"?

If you can move your couch closer or rearrange in anyway, yes it is worth it to go OLED.

Xbox One X is nearing release....i haven't been playing 4K games on my 65B6 yet, so owners of a 4K OLED and a Pro, what settings do you use? So things like sharpness, colour etc?

Go off of this as a baseline, then adjust to your liking.

Mrbob

Now that I see Dolby vision discs starting to come out such as Spiderman Homecoming I'm going to have to get a DV player soon. Still don't want to spend 500 on an Oppo player though. Perhaps Sony will have a x800 replacement at CES 2018 that includes Dolby vision.

It’s not odd. It’s brilliant since you can maintain different picture settings (OLED brightness etc) between SDR and HDR. Apparently Samsung never got that memo: Game Mode uses the same settings for HDR and SDR. Oy...

This. I love having different settings saved for HDR vs SDR content. It's so user-friendly after the initial calibration

One of the biggest things that turned me off of the otherwise excellent KS8000 last year was the fact that it didn't have separate presets and profiles for HDR game mode

Hydrus

So I'm going to be moving into my new home soon. Wanted to get an amazing TV. Looking for a minimum of 65inch and that works well for gaming. Hate to dig through this thread for an answer, so I'll just ask. What is the best I can get right now for around $2k?

Now that I see Dolby vision discs starting to come out such as Spiderman Homecoming I'm going to have to get a DV player soon. Still don't want to spend 500 on an Oppo player though. Perhaps Sony will have a x800 replacement at CES 2018 that includes Dolby vision.

Same. I'm using an xbox one s, and hate having to use a controller and that awful dashboard. I want a dedicated player, but not for over 2-300.

Yawnny

I have a Panasonic plasma, which maybe is close to oled with how burn in and retention. Safe to assume oleds are better? It'll always be on the back of my mind, but there's no denying the picture quality. Thanks for your input and for selling me on the lg. It's only $1,799 and I get 150$ best buy gift card.

From everything I've read and experienced the OLED image retention isn't nearly as prominent as what plasma was.

I know what you mean about the "always on the back of your mind" aspect. For me I sometimes think about it, but I don't let it bother me, and like I said I haven't noticed any issues.

I have way more peace of mind knowing I have a top-tier OLED panel as opposed to 'settling' for an LED.

OLED has frickin' fantastic viewing angles, deep blacks, no light bleed of any sort.. there's just so much it does right.

Pros and Cons, all about Pros and Cons, and OLED (imho) has more PROS than CONS.

Kermy

So I'm going to be moving into my new home soon. Wanted to get an amazing TV. Looking for a minimum of 65inch and that works well for gaming. Hate to dig through this thread for an answer, so I'll just ask. What is the best I can get right now for around $2k?

Can you go a little higher? For $2200 you can get a 65 inch OLED LG B7A. For less than $2k, then look at the Sony 65X900E.

Should I wait on buying an OLED to see if Black Friday prices drop the LG models or are the companies like Beach Camera largely unaffected by Black Friday sales?

got my LG OLED 2017 model at the weekend.

The Gaming HDR mode really is dim.

Tested it out with Horizon and Ratchet and Clank.

Playable, sure, but not exactly what i had hoped for.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Any OLED experts still around here?

So I got my Sony A1 yesterday and all in all it just blows me away. However, I have a small issue and I ain't sure I'm seeing ghosts here.

Are you guys familiar with vertical banding? Because I have a weird issue on my TV cause when I tested Evil Within 2 and RE7 I noticed some very slight vertical banding when I move the camera over grey areas - but that is only when I move the camera with the right stick and it just appears while I'm turning the camera. It disappears when I stop moving the camera. It's very hard to describe. In other games like Horizon I didn't notice anything. In movies I didn't notice any vertical banding AT ALL and I tested the darkest movie I had available (The Descent).

Now I'm confused as hell. Wouldn't vertical banding be noticeable all the time if I had it, especially when the picture is dark? And does this to some degree have to be tolerated on OLED? As far as I found out during my google search vertical banding is quite common on OLEDs. I mean, the issues is really not that bad and I'm not sure if it's even worth claiming from Sony. I probably won't even notice this any more after a few days.

Anyone here has experience with this? Is what I am describing indeed vertical banding? Or this something else?

PS: RE7 and Horizon in 4k + HRD are game changers. Holy shit!

Dez

got my LG OLED 2017 model at the weekend.

The Gaming HDR mode really is dim.

Tested it out with Horizon and Ratchet and Clank.

Playable, sure, but not exactly what i had hoped for.

I feel like HDR game mode on the 2017 lgs is pretty good - it’s very similar in tone mapping to the hdr cinema mode and technicolor modes. Compare very bright scenes and it’s pretty much the same brightness. HDR standard is pretty much torch mode anyway. I was using it with PC input icon and chroma at 4:2:0 for a while - you can try that if you prefer a bit more pop in the image with low input lag, but I switched to game mode outside of the PC input, and won’t go back.

Poppyseed

That will finally be fixed in an upcoming update

Source?

Any OLED experts still around here?

So I got my Sony A1 yesterday and all in all it just blows me away. However, I have a small issue and I ain't sure I'm seeing ghosts here.

Are you guys familiar with vertical banding? Because I have a weird issue on my TV cause when I tested Evil Within 2 and RE7 I noticed some very slight vertical banding when I move the camera over grey areas - but that is only when I move the camera with the right stick and it just appears while I'm turning the camera. It disappears when I stop moving the camera. It's very hard to describe. In other games like Horizon I didn't notice anything. In movies I didn't notice any vertical banding AT ALL and I tested the darkest movie I had available (The Descent).

Now I'm confused as hell. Wouldn't vertical banding be noticeable all the time if I had it, especially when the picture is dark? And does this to some degree have to be tolerated on OLED? As far as I found out during my google search vertical banding is quite common on OLEDs. I mean, the issues is really not that bad and I'm not sure if it's even worth claiming from Sony. I probably won't even notice this any more after a few days.

Anyone here has experience with this? Is what I am describing indeed vertical banding? Or this something else?

PS: RE7 and Horizon in 4k + HRD are game changers. Holy shit!

Normal. Some OLEDs are worse than others. If you YouTube 5% IRE slides, you can see what they look like in worst-case-scenarios. You’ve been warned, though... it’s pretty ugly...

I feel like HDR game mode on the 2017 lgs is pretty good - it’s very similar in tone mapping to the hdr cinema mode and technicolor modes. Compare very bright scenes and it’s pretty much the same brightness. HDR standard is pretty much torch mode anyway. I was using it with PC input icon and chroma at 4:2:0 for a while - you can try that if you prefer a bit more pop in the image with low input lag, but I switched to game mode outside of the PC input, and won’t go back.

i've seen something about changing the input to pc to get chroma 4:4:4, or something like that.

Could you explain to me in stupid person terms what this means?

I have everything (PS4 Pro and switch) connected to my Denon AV Receiver, and that the tv. So everything will go to the tv via the same cable / input (if knowing that helps or makes any difference)

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Normal. Some OLEDs are worse than others. If you YouTube 5% IRE slides, you can see what they look like in worst-case-scenarios. You’ve been warned, though... it’s pretty ugly...
Thanks so much! Just knowing that this is a rather common issue makes this a lot easier on me. Will continue testing my games/movies in the coming days. If it keeps bothering me I will claim warranty from Sony.

chifanpoe

It's not odd. It's brilliant since you can maintain different picture settings (OLED brightness etc) between SDR and HDR. Apparently Samsung never got that memo: Game Mode uses the same settings for HDR and SDR. Oy...

Yes, LG did well. What a nightmare it would be without it.

Dez

i've seen something about changing the input to pc to get chroma 4:4:4, or something like that.

Could you explain to me in stupid person terms what this means?

I have everything (PS4 Pro and switch) connected to my Denon AV Receiver, and that the tv. So everything will go to the tv via the same cable / input (if knowing that helps or makes any difference)

So the answer is not that straightforward. Bottom line 4:4:4 is a colour encoding scheme that takes a lot of bandwidth and is really only noticeable with text and graphic type images, hence the need for it on PC monitors. The bandwidth requirements for 4k hdr are too high for it on HDMI 2.0, so 4:2:2 is used instead. LG has implemented 4:4:4 but you need to set your input icon to the PC. Press the input button on your tv, go to all inputs, and change input icon. This has the added benefit of getting low (21ms) input lag. The expense is the lack of image processing, and supposedly incorrect mapping of colours in HDR.

In your case you are using only one input on the TV, so I wouldn’t recommend setting your input icon to PC, because even for movies you’ll lack image processing, and will not have correct tone mapping for 4k hdr content. Instead I’d switch back and forth between game mode. Alternately you can switch the icon to PC when playing SDR games, and for HDR games switch back to a different icon and go to game mode.

I have a two output receiver so I set up my harmony remote to switch inputs on the tv depending on whether I’m SDR gaming , HDR gaming, or movie/tv watching. It’s kinda a bitch but using an AVR with 8 inputs is my only option if I want lossless audio and all my devices connected (x1,ps4,switch,cable box, htpc, uhd bluray player, Apple TV 4k).

Playing GTA V now on my 65B6 and it's just nearly as crisp as it was on my full HD EC9300 back when I still had it. I really can't wait for that One X, finally gonna do that B6 some justice with some proper looking games. 4K games should look pretty damn crisp on it.

Gotta say that I expected the 4K upscaling to improve picture quality but it definitely gives games a soft look. Especially noticeable with 720p games and 900p, but even 1080p. Bring on One X!

AGITΩ

Anyone else with a Sony A1E tried out the composite connection? Googles failed me. I've gotten to seperate 3.5mm to RCA Video and neither have worked. I've tried a PS2 and an N64 which worked fine on my Older Samsung HU7250. But on the Sony it just doesnt receive a signal.

So the answer is not that straightforward. Bottom line 4:4:4 is a colour encoding scheme that takes a lot of bandwidth and is really only noticeable with text and graphic type images, hence the need for it on PC monitors. The bandwidth requirements for 4k hdr are too high for it on HDMI 2.0, so 4:2:2 is used instead. LG has implemented 4:4:4 but you need to set your input icon to the PC. Press the input button on your tv, go to all inputs, and change input icon. This has the added benefit of getting low (21ms) input lag. The expense is the lack of image processing, and supposedly incorrect mapping of colours in HDR.

In your case you are using only one input on the TV, so I wouldn’t recommend setting your input icon to PC, because even for movies you’ll lack image processing, and will not have correct tone mapping for 4k hdr content. Instead I’d switch back and forth between game mode. Alternately you can switch the icon to PC when playing SDR games, and for HDR games switch back to a different icon and go to game mode.

I have a two output receiver so I set up my harmony remote to switch inputs on the tv depending on whether I’m SDR gaming , HDR gaming, or movie/tv watching. It’s kinda a bitch but using an AVR with 8 inputs is my only option if I want lossless audio and all my devices connected (x1,ps4,switch,cable box, htpc, uhd bluray player, Apple TV 4k).

This is really interesting mate, i'll defo take a look in to this. My receiver has 2 outputs as well. Something to chew on at the least.

Ive done a bit of SDR gaming on the new telly, and the game mode on that is really great. I played REZ Area X and it was god like. Those super black blacks against all the coloured particles. Lovely.

I just want to HDR gaming mode to be brighter, because it really feels too dim, even in a dark room, but the lag outside if the games mode feels to great :(

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Can anyone of the more knowledgeable tech guys tell me how bad the banding on my TV is and if I even have a big chance of getting a new TV that tackles the issue much better?

This is 5% greyscale:

BWwF0mR.jpg

This is 10% greyscale:

BzgQoLB.jpg

Doesn't seem that bad compared to other TVs I've seen on the internet, no? Like said, in movies I don't even notice anything but only in certain games.

ToD_

What's the consensus on the latest LG? Ok to upgrade the firmware?

It appears to be safe to upgrade. I spent some time calibrating all modes yesterday, including the new technicolor preset. It turns out the technicolor preset is the same as the ISF modes if you select the same settings, so don't expect miracles there, but it's nice to have an additional preset that allows for full calibration. At least, that's for non-PC modes. When selecting PC input with the technicolor preset some settings are locked, such as the golor gamut (locked to Wide), which is not the case for the ISF modes.

Blacks are still black. In fact, the modes I calibrated before the new firmware give the same results after updating when measured with the colorimeter. It doesn't appear the HDR Game mode was affected either.

I also saw there were new updates for the YouTube and Netflix apps. Unfortunately, YouTube HDR is still broken even after installing the new firmware and app update.

I did experience a few audio hiccups with Netflix content after updating the firmware, but I can't say if this had anything to do with the firmware, the content I watched, or my AVR.

Can anyone of the more knowledgeable tech guys tell me how bad the banding on my TV is and if I even have a big chance of getting a new TV that tackles the issue much better?

This is 5% greyscale:

BWwF0mR.jpg

This is 10% greyscale:

BzgQoLB.jpg

Doesn't seem that bad compared to other TVs I've seen on the internet, no? Like said, in movies I don't even notice anything but only in certain games.

Does it bother you when you see it in viewing content? That's really all that matters. If the answer to that is no, then enjoy the set and don't fixate on it. Also, banding can get better with time.

My first panel had similar banding that I could not ignore. I remember watching The OA on Netflix and noticing how bad the banding appeared on pan shots in low light scenes. I went through LG to get a panel replacement but that was my experience. You may never notice it or care.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Does it bother you when you see it in viewing content? That’s really all that matters. If the answer to that is no, then enjoy the set and don’t fixate on it. Also, banding can get better with time.

My first panel had similar banding that I could not ignore. I remember watching The OA on Netflix and noticing how bad the banding appeared on pan shots in low light scenes. I went through LG to get a panel replacement but that was my experience. You may never notice it or care.
I honestly didn't notice it any movie I tested so far but only when playing The Evil Within 2 and RE7 - and even there I feel like I tried very hard to find the banding most of the time.

What I'd really like to know is what chances I have on getting a TV that tackles the issue much better than the one I already have. Given that this apparently is quite common (from what I gathered on the net every OLED has this to some degree) I fear I may end up with a TV that has even worse banding after a possible hassle with Sony... And it that case it wouldn't really be worth the whole thing.

Yeah, it's a bit tricky, it's panel lottery and I don't think there's any way to know.

This is 5% greyscale:

BWwF0mR.jpg

This is 10% greyscale:

BzgQoLB.jpg

Yeah. That doesn't seem too bad, and I'm not sure on the odds of better or worse. They're slightly more pronounced than some of the best sets in this AVS thread I found on this OLED issue, no matter the brand, but also quite far from the really bad ones.
But either way, make sure you yourself aren't bothered by it in most content that you watch, like he said, which is the most important. :)

Here's the thread: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...uniformity-discussion-banding-vignetting.html

Here's a couple bad ones from the AVS thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...ssion-banding-vignetting-53.html#post55006980

attachment.php

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...ssion-banding-vignetting-48.html#post54972018

I honestly didn't notice it any movie I tested so far but only when playing The Evil Within 2 and RE7 - and even there I feel like I tried very hard to find the banding most of the time.

What I'd really like to know is what chances I have on getting a TV that tackles the issue much better than the one I already have. Given that this apparently is quite common (from what I gathered on the net every OLED has this to some degree) I fear I may end up with a TV that has even worse banding after a possible hassle with Sony... And it that case it wouldn't really be worth the whole thing.

You’re playing the panel lottery every time. You could end up with a better panel or a worst one. There’s no way to know, unfortunately.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Yeah, it's a bit tricky, it's panel lottery and I don't think there's any way to know.

Yeah. That doesn't seem too bad, and I'm not sure on the odds of better or worse. They're slightly more pronounced than some of the best sets in this AVS thread I found on this OLED issue, no matter the brand, but also quite far from the really bad ones.
But either way, make sure you yourself aren't bothered by it in most content that you watch, like he said, which is the most important. :)

Here's the thread: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...uniformity-discussion-banding-vignetting.html

Here's a couple bad ones from the AVS thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...ssion-banding-vignetting-53.html#post55006980

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...ssion-banding-vignetting-48.html#post54972018
Holy crap, when I see stuff like this:

I may just stick to my TV. For comparission: When the Netflix logo appears on my screen I see 0 banding with the calibration I use.

But thanks a lot for the info and the links man. Makes it so much easier for me.

I'll test it thouroughly over the week and then decide.

PS: Am I getting this right that the issue may improve on it's own over time? I haven't been running the TV more than 5 hours so far FYI.

ToD_

Holy crap, when I see stuff like this:

I may just stick to my TV. For comparission: When the Netflix logo appears on my screen I see 0 banding with the calibration I use.

But thanks a lot for the info and the links man. Makes it so much easier for me.

I'll test it thouroughly over the week and then decide.

PS: Am I getting this right that the issue may improve on it's own over time? I haven't been running the TV more than 5 hours so far FYI.

The pictures of your TV look good. In fact, probably one of the better panels I have seen.

That said, I feel like some of the pictures out there really exaggerate the severity of the banding. In order to even see bands on the average set on a picture, the exposure on the camera has to be long. Generally, to the eye, the 5% pattern looks a lot darker. In addition, the cameras used to take these pictures (mostly phones) all have some sort of processing going on to enhance contrast. This contrast enhancement will also result in more pronounced bars.

On my set (C7) the bars are like an average OLED, I imagine. The bars are in roughly the same places as the examples of bad screens above, and the bars are of roughly equal thickness. The panel looks more uniform than the pictures above (no vignetting or dark blotches) and the bars are not as pronounced.

I have never detected the bars on the Netflix app loading screen on my TV, but perhaps if I set my camera up with a long exposure I may just be able to see them. In fact, I may be able to make it look worse than the picture above if I drag the contrast slider to the right.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
The pictures of your TV look good. In fact, probably one of the better panels I have seen.

That said, I feel like some of the pictures out there really exaggerate the severity of the banding. In order to even see bands on the average set on a picture, the exposure on the camera has to be long. Generally, to the eye, the 5% pattern looks a lot darker. In addition, the cameras used to take these pictures (mostly phones) all have some sort of processing going on to enhance contrast. This contrast enhancement will also result in more pronounced bars.

On my set (C7) the bars are like an average OLED, I imagine. The bars are in roughly the same places as the examples of bad screens above, and the bars are of roughly equal thickness. The panel looks more uniform than the pictures above (no vignetting or dark blotches) and the bars are not as pronounced.

I have never detected the bars on the Netflix app loading screen on my TV, but perhaps if I set my camera up with a long exposure I may just be able to see them. In fact, I may be able to make it look worse than the picture above if I drag the contrast slider to the right.
Thanks to you too mate.

In fact, I just popped in Evil Within 2 again and.... I just can't see any banding any more at all. WTF? I'm so happy right now.

Poppyseed

Thanks so much! Just knowing that this is a rather common issue makes this a lot easier on me. Will continue testing my games/movies in the coming days. If it keeps bothering me I will claim warranty from Sony.

After seeing your pictures, I would NOT exchange that set. That’s certainly one of the better OLEDs I’ve seen. And you had asked if it improves with time. It does, at least over the opening 10s of hours with the TV.

So enjoy!

Top Bottom