• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

Pagusas

Elden Member
you guys are making me nervous about buying the lg 77" oled... is that banding really that common and prevalent or is it just the camera/exposure time making it even worse looking?

Bustanen

you guys are making me nervous about buying the lg 77" oled... is that banding really that common and prevalent or is it just the camera/exposure time making it even worse looking?
Banding is common on OLEDs but it's only noticeable in certain conditions like grey backgrounds and panning shots. Mine doesn't look anything like those photos, just faint thin lines.

MauroNL

So when is this new firmware coming to EU for the C7? There's nothing yet, and I'm really curious about the Technicolor stuff. Also can anyone comment if the lip sync has improved from ARC Dolby? Some channels on my DVR have massive lag, and there have been a lot of people like me with the same problem. There was word of fixes but no definitive answer yet?

The new FW is being released in waves AFAIK. Someone should have a direct link at hand.

There ARE good sets, so if I were to get an OLED TV where vertical banding/DSE were to show up when watching football, then I wouldn't keep it, for sure.

Like Bustanen said generally they're very good and in that case you won't really notice this when actually using the set, if anything only in a slide designed to show it. If you really see it in real content too much or without looking for it then it's worth exchanging to get another panel.

If you like the benefits of OLED it's totally worth it.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Like Bustanen said generally they're very good and in that case you won't really notice this when actually using the set, if anything only in a slide designed to show it. If you really see it in real content too much or without looking for it then it's worth exchanging to get another panel.

If you like the benefits of OLED it's totally worth it.

absolutely, just hard to spend 10k on anything like this and not want pure perfection. my x940c right now is perfect regarding banding and clouding, so its a bit scary considering I could be giving that up, which will make me notice it even more. But as you said, OLED's perfects outweight these flaws, though i do wish there were less flaws.

Reallink

absolutely, just hard to spend 10k on anything like this and not want pure perfection. my x940c right now is perfect regarding banding and clouding, so its a bit scary considering I could be giving that up, which will make me notice it even more. But as you said, OLED's perfects outweight these flaws, though i do wish there were less flaws.

Personally, unless $10k is a completely thoughtless amount of money to you, it's not worth the 500% mark up over one of the ~$2k 65"ers. Remember this is a purchase that's quite possibly going to be borderline obsolete in a year or two thanks to all of HDMI 2.1's features, in addition to improvements in light output and color volume (which could be substantial).

Chitown B

If you’re buying an OLED you should have an AVR as well so not that big of a deal, basically going after 1% of the market who don’t have a dedicated AVR to handle that task.

I don't. My old Pioneer wouldn't pass 4K HDR, so I sold it. I'm dealing without one for right now.

Madness

At this point you may as well wait till CES. I am hearing multiple 75" models. Sizes are only gettinf bigger and costs are going down.

Anion

What settings should I put on my LG C7 and my Xbox One S to get the best picture? I already did

TV:
- Game mode, Deep Color, Renamed to Game Console

Xbox:
- 10bit color and PC RGB?

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Every tech so far had it's flaws and you were always playing the panel lottery. And like the others have said even if you have banding you only notice it on certain colors, especially on grey - at least that's what it was like for me. Luckily it almost disappeared for me. On my first day of testing I could more or less easily spot the banding when searching for it on Evil Within 2's grey sky. Yesterday evening when I played it again I couldn't spot anything and I was trying real hard, panning the camera for minutes at a time. Maybe a faint of the banding but even then I wasn't sure if that was actually the in-game shadow. lol

So I guess my TV is over the hill for now when I comes to this issue. Could hardly be happier.

But honestly, even if the little banding would have remained, I'd have kept the TV. HDR is an absolute game changer for me and my A1 does is flawlessly. Two of my buddies came over yesterday and I popped in Horzion to show them HDR. They were just as floored as I was when I first saw it. Without exaggerating I'd say HDR is easily to color scheme what HD was to picture resolution. The difference is just crazy. I couldn't believe it when people were raving about it but it's an absolute game changer.

Don't be nervous.

If you're looking for it, and taking pictures and only looking at color slides to prove it's there, you'll find it. But during normal use, as in playing a game, or watching a movie, you'll never notice it.

I appreciate people nitpicking the image quality to death. I really do. It makes products better. But ultimately I'm only concerned about a flaw that shows itself during actual use. Not one you need to hunt down to find.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Personally, unless $10k is a completely thoughtless amount of money to you, it's not worth the 500% mark up over one of the ~$2k 65"ers. Remember this is a purchase that's quite possibly going to be borderline obsolete in a year or two thanks to all of HDMI 2.1's features, in addition to improvements in light output and color volume (which could be substantial).

At this point you may as well wait till CES. I am hearing multiple 75" models. Sizes are only gettinf bigger and costs are going down.

Yeah I'm going to buy a tempory 65" this year to hold me off for a year than drop the amount next year when HDMI 2.1 is out.

WadeitOut

Hey guys. On my brand new C7 I keep getting a factory mode prompt saying to hit an instop key on a service remote. Does anyone know how to stop this?

And what is the official remote app for this tv on android?

Damn, to think I have been gaming a lot with the colour temperature at the default setting when using game mode. Which is a very very cold setting. I went and decided to give Digital Foundry's B6 settings a chance. Colour temperature is at W45 now and things look way more natural now. Not sure why I liked the default setting initially.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Damn, to think I have been gaming a lot with the colour temperature at the default setting when using game mode. Which is a very very cold setting. I went and decided to give Digital Foundry's B6 settings a chance. Colour temperature is at W45 now and things look way more natural now. Not sure why I liked the default setting initially.

cool tones are flashier and draw us in. Warm tones are soother but dont attract us as fast. Makes sense you'd like the "crisp" feel that cool whites and tones give off initially. It wears off though fast and then you start craving the warm tones.

cool tones are flashier and draw us in. Warm tones are soother but dont attract us as fast. Makes sense you'd like the "crisp" feel that cool whites and tones give off initially. It wears off though fast and then you start craving the warm tones.

Yeah for sure. It was in GTA V that made me decide to change it. It looked off.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Yeah for sure. It was in GTA V that made me decide to change it. It looked off.

I've found I enjoy live sports with cool tones, especially football. But games and movies usually feel horrible at high color temps. Jurassic Park is like the number one film for me to watch when I buy a new screen, as I can calibrate the color temp based on what "feels" natural with that film. I've seen it so many times on very high end well calibrated gear that I can use it as calibrating material now. Grants face is like the perfect "skin tone" test pattern, as even the slightest bit off in temp or tint will make me instantly notice it.

I don't like warm tones/settings at all. This is why I've always found color settings and "calibrations" subjective. It depends how you prefer your image to looks.

ToD_

What do you guys do with your old TVs? I upgraded my Pioneer Kuro (500M) with an LG C7 and I'm not sure what to do with the Kuro. It's still a great TV, but I have no use for it anymore.

TVs are not as easy to handle as most items and therefore shipping them doesn't make much sense.

I live in a large city so I'm sure I'll be able to find a local buyer. The problem is that they would likely want to see the TV before buying it, and I don't feel great about inviting strangers into my home. There are quite a lot of Craigslist horror stories out there, which aren't helping.

What do you guys do with your old TVs? I upgraded my Pioneer Kuro (500M) with an LG C7 and I'm not sure what to do with the Kuro. It's still a great TV, but I have no use for it anymore.

TVs are not as easy to handle as most items and therefore shipping them doesn't make much sense.

I live in a large city so I'm sure I'll be able to find a local buyer. The problem is that they would likely want to see the TV before buying it, and I don't feel great about inviting strangers into my home. There are quite a lot of Craigslist horror stories out there, which aren't helping.

Either facebook groups...or craigslist.

I sold mine via craigslist. Yeah, it's was weird, but I to reduce the risk I made sure a buddy was there with me, and moved the TV to the garage so they didn't have to come in.

Weevilone

Often your eyes are biased by what you've been watching or using (ie tablet / phone). Our brains are pretty tricky in how they adapt, which is why proper calibration equipment is needed.

I don't like warm tones/settings at all. This is why I've always found color settings and "calibrations" subjective. It depends how you prefer your image to looks.

I mean there absolutely is a standard to which content is mastered, and it's possible to get displays to line up with this. Then your eyes get to see the content as it was intended. Of course if you don't like that standard, you're free to watch them in a different manner.

There's a bit more to it than personal preference.

iamvin22

Industry Verified
So I have a few questions.

1. Is 55" good for 4k or is it 60-65"?

2. Is the best 55" the tcl for gaming?

3. What is the the best 60-65" for gaming? Why did so many manufacturers stay away from 60"?

Reallink

It's worth pointing out the industry standard x .313 y .329 targets for white point appear inaccurate to the eye on OLED's, even though empirical measurements say they're spot on. Unfortunately as this is relatively early days in consumer OLED's, LG are still calibrating to those targets in the factory, as are review outlets. Calibration software and meter offsets are also not presently correcting for it. I am unclear on whether this issue is universal, or varies from individual to individual (based on the physical make up of the eye). REC2020 has been similarly criticized by imaging scientists in that different people will see a particular color differently based on the arrangement of the rods and cones in their eyes. No idea if this is rooted in the same phenomenon, or is something different.

This is a very real issue though, and not your usual nitpicking or theory. x .313 y .329 on an OLED looks wildly different from a similarly calibrated LCD/PDP. Personally, I noticed this in isolation, completely ignorant to any discussions on the issue. Searching and posing the question though, I stumbled upon a Sony whitepaper and AVS thread detailing the necessity for alternate white points on OLED's. I would actually probably advise people avoid the Warm 2 or W45 - W50 recommendation as based on how your eye sees it, it could possibly be more inaccurate than Warm 1 or W35ish. To my eyes, default Warm 2 has a substantial green cast on the LG's. I think the AR filter/coating is a big contributor (try moving off axis and note the green shift in neutral colors/tones). Warm 1 is definitely too blue, but it's less offensive than the green IMO.

Pagusas

Elden Member
So I have a few questions.

1. Is 55" good for 4k or is it 60-65"?

2. Is the best 55" the tcl for gaming?

3. What is the the best 60-65" for gaming? Why did so many manufacturers stay away from 60"?

1. need to know your viewing distance

2. no, thats just a good budget option

3. Whats the budget? The LG Oled's are your best right now.

It cost a lot of money to have multiple product lines and sizes out there. that fact we have a tv product in every 10" of size is already pretty insane if you think about it.

Weevilone

It's worth pointing out the industry standard x .313 y .329 targets for white point appear inaccurate to the eye on OLED's, even though empirical measurements say they're spot on. Unfortunately as this is relatively early days in consumer OLED's, LG are still calibrating to those targets in the factory, as are review outlets. Calibration software and meter offsets are also not presently correcting for it. I am unclear on whether this issue is universal, or varies from individual to individual (based on the physical make up of the eye). REC2020 has been similarly criticized by imaging scientists in that different people will see a particular color differently based on the arrangement of the rods and cones in their eyes. No idea if this is rooted in the same phenomenon, or is something different.

This is a very real issue though, and not your usual nitpicking or theory. x .313 y .329 on an OLED looks wildly different from a similarly calibrated LCD/PDP. Personally, I noticed this in isolation, completely ignorant to any discussions on the issue. Searching and posing the question though, I stumbled upon a Sony whitepaper and AVS thread covering the issue. I would actually probably advise people avoid the Warm 2 or W45 - W50 recommendation as how your eye sees it, it's probably just as inaccurate as Warm 1

Interesting stuff, thanks for posting. I learned something today.

ToD_

This is a very real issue though, and not your usual nitpicking or theory. x .313 y .329 on an OLED looks wildly different from a similarly calibrated LCD/PDP. Personally, I noticed this in isolation, completely ignorant to any discussions on the issue. Searching and posing the question though, I stumbled upon a Sony whitepaper and AVS thread detailing the necessity for alternate white points on OLED's. I would actually probably advise people avoid the Warm 2 or W45 - W50 recommendation as how your eye sees it, it's probably just as inaccurate as Warm 1

I have been following that AVS thread as well. I have calibrated my C7 using the alternate white points suggested by D-Nice. I don't know how accurate it is since I haven't had a chance to compare it with a reference screen, but it does look good to my eyes.

I would still suggest Warm 2 for most users, however. The alternate white point is a good amount cooler than Warm 2. Warm 1 has an even higher color temperature and would require a pretty extreme adjustment to even get to the alternate white point. The ideal white is between Warm 1 and Warm 2, but (more than likely) significantly closer to Warm 2.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I have been following that AVS thread as well. I have calibrated my C7 using the alternate white points suggested by D-Nice. I don't know how accurate it is since I haven't had a chance to compare it with a reference screen, but it does look good to my eyes.

I would still suggest Warm 2 for most users, however. The alternate white point is a good amount cooler than Warm 2. Warm 1 has an even higher color temperature and would require a pretty extreme adjustment to even get to the alternate white point. The ideal white is between Warm 1 and Warm 2, but (more than likely) significantly closer to Warm 2.

I feel that way on all sets, be it LG, Sony or Samsung. Warm 1 and Warm 2 always miss the mark, the true white is somewhere in the middle.

kunonabi

Ended up pulling the trigger on the Samsung UN49MU8000FXZA.

It's seemed like the best I could do for my price and card situation. I probably should have waited for Black Friday but all the other tvs in the house are flawed in some way or another and it was driving me batty. I still hate that I had to waste my birthday and Christmas presents on another damn TV.

All that said, I'm looking forward to it. I'm a little worried about it only being 60hz and this local dimming thing sounds terrible but beggars can't be choosers.

Ashhong

Ended up pulling the trigger on the Samsung UN49MU8000FXZA.

It's seemed like the best I could do for my price and card situation. I probably should have waited for Black Friday but all the other tvs in the house are flawed in some way or another and it was driving me batty. I still hate that I had to waste my birthday and Christmas presents on another damn TV.

All that said, I'm looking forward to it. I'm a little worried about it only being 60hz and this local dimming thing sounds terrible but beggars can't be choosers.

Could you repeat your situation? Only if you are able to return

I'm having an internal struggle with buying an OLED now or waiting until 2018 or beyond. Apparently LG is on a two year development cycle where they make major developments year one, refinements year 2, then repeat. We're due for major developments...

The Argus

Scored a 55inch B7A on Amazon for $1700 + a $150 gift card. Couldn't wait any longer. Took the day off for delivery (November 1st). So excited. Can't wait for my Scorpio Edition to come in the week after. Gotta hold off Stranger Things 2 for a few days, might be the hardest part of the wait.

Tried some Destiny 2 with HDR, then switched it off, then switched it on.

I think it looks better with it off. Maybe?

The colors are more vibrant, and since it's a 2017 LG OLED, the screen is brighter with it off.

HDR gaming is so weird. I'll be honest, I haven't seen something that just FLOORS me with HDR games yet.

kunonabi

Could you repeat your situation? Only if you are able to return

Needed a TV as cheap as possible and had to be from Walmart. I'm not going to have the TV for all that long and I have no need for 4k or hdr. My parents will probably take it over or sell it once I move out anyway which is the only reason I opted for something 4k to begin with.

My last TV was only 60hz and I loved it so the judder probably won't be a real issue. It's mostly the local dimming that sounds distracting as all hell.

The basic situation at the house was that there are no TVs I can play Blurays or games on without some huge distracting flaw so I was pretty much stuck with just Netflix and Hulu and I really didn't want to wait a month for a TV.

My previous TV was a sony kdl48w600b so it's not really a downgrade by any stretch.

Poppyseed

Needed a TV as cheap as possible and had to be from Walmart. I'm not going to have the TV for all that long and I have no need for 4k or hdr. My parents will probably take it over or sell it once I move out anyway which is the only reason I opted for something 4k to begin with.

My last TV was only 60hz and I loved it so the judder probably won't be a real issue. It's mostly the local dimming that sounds distracting as all hell.

The basic situation at the house was that there are no TVs I can play Blurays or games on without some huge distracting flaw so I was pretty much stuck with just Netflix and Hulu and I really didn't want to wait a month for a TV.

My previous TV was a sony kdl48w600b so it's not really a downgrade by any stretch.

For gaming judder won’t be an issue. Only for 24p playback.

Pagusas

Elden Member

The colors are more vibrant, and since it's a 2017 LG OLED, the screen is brighter with it off.

HDR gaming is so weird. I'll be honest, I haven't seen something that just FLOORS me with HDR games yet.

Have you tried Forza Horizon 3? First thing that floored me with HDR was Fantasic Beast 4k Blu-ray.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I’ve decided to make my final post here on Gaf in the display thread as my hobby and love (and career) have always been display technology and reading threads like this is what brought me to Gaf so very very very long ago. I hope I see all of you in the new Era where we’ll start new display threads :). I’m not going to delete my name or ask for a ban, I find that silly, I’m just saying goodbye to everyone here and hope to see you on the flip side, I appreciate everyone that’s ever been kind to me on here and made this community so wonderful that I stayed for over a decade.

Poppyseed

Uncharted 4 (add on adventure), Forza Horizon 3, H: Zero Dawn. All look amazing on my 2017 LG OLED.

Top Bottom