• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Telltale The Walking Dead Star Melissa Hutchison: Cancellation Was “Traumatic”.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
https://comicbook.com/gaming/2018/1...tating-clementine-star-melissa-hutchison/#nnn

Melissa Hutchison, who voices the still-not-bitten Clementine in Telltale Games’ Walking Dead video game franchise, says the abrupt cancellation of The Walking Dead: The Final Season was “traumatic” and “devastating.”

“It was actually something out of a movie, it was very dramatic. I was actually in a recording session for The Final Season when the axe dropped, and the session had to stop,” Hutchison said at Walker Stalker Con New Jersey.

Hutchison explained she had just “about an hour” left in the session and the news bewildered herself and voice director Jack Fletcher.

“It was all very dramatic. I called a very dear friend of mine who worked at Telltale and I was like, ‘Yo, what’s going on, man?’ And he was just kind of deliriously like, ‘They shut the doors, it’s all done, we’re done, it’s gone,’” Hutchison said.

“And then I basically cried myself into physical pain [laughs]. It was about two weeks of hell. I say that, that’s pretty dramatic... but we’d been working with Telltale a very long time.

“Beyond my selfish reasons of course of, ‘Well, what about Clementine? What about the fans?’ This company that we’ve worked for for so many years, this is an amazing company, and to see it just gone in a heartbeat... and all those people losing their jobs, it was devastating.”

Hutchison added she neglected to answer a phone call from Skybound Interactive president Dan Murray while on vacation, only learning of The Final Season’s resurrection later that night when her Twitter feed was “blowing up.”

“I still was like, ‘Okay, well as soon as the Telltale folks are back in the office working, then I’ll [celebrate].’ It wasn’t like, ‘Whoo, I’m back!’ It was a really traumatic thing that happened,” she said.

“My first thing was to call them and say, ‘Hey, yo, is this real?’ And they’re like, ‘We’ll see.’ So as soon as they were back working in the office, I was like, ‘Okay.’ But then I had a recording session a few days ago and I was like, ’Okay, so now I feel great,’ but it took a while.”

The employees who have resumed work on The Final Season are “fine, they kind of joke around about it,” Hutchison said.

“It’s this little core group of people who are like on this whole giant floor... so it’s a little macabre for them, but they are very happy to be back. And the story continues, and that’s the most important part.”

Last edited:
I hate overdramatic people like her making everything’s about her.
I know right. I mean the audacity of a person to speak about their personal experience in an interview about them losing their job and potentially a character they hold very dear, and helped bring to life.
The nerve.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Seems like the Telltale person would go apeshit if she found out a banana had a small brown spot in it.

Years back when I got let go from my job (a big corporate company whose products are used by I'd say 1,000x more people than a Telltale video game).....

- Called into office, let go, given severance letter
- Left the building
- Told some fam and friends
- Got hold of some recruiters
- Got interviews and a new job a few months later
- The end

Wunray

Seems like the Telltale person would go apeshit if she found out a banana had a small brown spot in it.

Years back when I got let go from my job (a big corporate company whose products are used by I'd say 1,000x more people than a Telltale video game).....

- Left the building
- The end
You're allowed to Express your emotions ok? Not everyone has the thickest of skin.

Kadayi

Banned

- Left the building
- The end

She wasn't laid off, the company shut down and nobody got paid.

Humdinger

She's a woman, so more inclined to express emotion, and she's an actress, so someone paid to express emotion, and she was finishing up the final episode, which is probably emotional, and she's also formed close relationships with the work and the people there. So I don't have any problems with what she said.

Well, except for "traumatic." I think people throw around that word too casually. But it's become very common to do that -- everything's a trauma now, not just a bad thing that happened -- so I'm not faulting her.

tanooki27

- Left the building
- The end

you’re so mature and sensible! good job on life. what a great fucking table you’ve laid for yourself. now if everyone could just shut up and keep on keeping on - like you, boss.

Last edited:
Top Bottom