• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Temporary GAF Mafia Thread |OT| In which we scheme

• Thread starter Deleted member 231381
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
We seem to be running out of actual material to discuss now, so I'm going to leave this open one more day just in case there are any last points, then open the recruitment thread.

nin1000

Banned
We seem to be running out of actual material to discuss now, so I'm going to leave this open one more day just in case there are any last points, then open the recruitment thread.

YES! finally! Can't wait to get my mind ready for the next game.

Ourobolus

Banned
So we ended up with:

- One dead thread
- no copy/pasting your role PM (paraphrasing ok, win condition at mod's discretion)
- test to mod kill after Day 3 (maybe)
- immediate mod kill if squidy begins posting

Anything else?

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
- Stress time commitment
- Opt-in for non-conventional games
- Make clearer voting procedure
- Ban use of email tags
- Make clear referring to user activity is bad sportsmanship
- Make clear copy-pasteing moderator messages is bad sportsmanship
- Phase shortening at moderator discretion, with a minimum 3/1. However, moderator must inform players how phase shortening will work from the very start rather than just shorten it semi-arbitrarily.
- Ghosting only between time-over and moderator posting results
- Potentially trial mod-killing for replacements
- Pausing game briefly in games that do allow replacements so they can find their feet
- No discussion of game material after the deadline, deadlines more strictly enforced [i.e. if Karkador set a 3:00 PM Wednesday time stamp, then game material should not be discussed after that time-stamp even if he hasn't had time to close the day]
- No spoilers in avatars
- Stick to joint dead thread as far as possible
- Allow dead thread to be available to spectators at request
- Allow dead players the choice between going to the dead thread or being kept blind so they could swap in as a replacement if necessary (I doubt this rule will will ever be used, as we've had a long enough waiting list every game to absorb replacements, but there you go)
- Explain the process of becoming a moderator
- Very basic "how to play guide" - as in, basic strategies not explaining how to vote
- Link to some of the more common roles for people to browse

Crab writes a "how to make games" post, including information on:
- Not using role madness/crazy games just yet
- The ratio of mafia to town to town power roles
- Remembering to include role PMs for Vanilla Town and Vanilla Mafia
- How to handle flavour
- Strong discouragement on using Fools

That's everything. I'll settle on who is moderating from the people who have sent forward applications when we now roughly how many new players we'll get, at the same time any moderators who want to trial modkills rather than replacements can ask me then.

- How to handle flavour

That's everything. I'll settle on who is moderating from the people who have sent forward applications when we now roughly how many new players we'll get, at the same time any moderators who want to trial modkills rather than replacements can ask me then.

So, I haven't heard back from Karkador or MattyG yet. Not sure if it'll factor into your consideration, but I can easily tone mine down to a more contained game; it's how I originally planned it, actually, so it's not a huge deal to me. Although, the amount of players would be subject to change, possibly bumping it up to 23.

Hobohodo

The only thing on that list that worries me is letting people who haven't been playing into the dead thread. I guess I feel someone who is only spectating could be more inclined to wanna fuck it up for everyone than someone who is all ready involved in the community.

RetroMG

The only thing on that list that worries me is letting people who haven't been playing into the dead thread. I guess I feel someone who is only spectating could be more inclined to wanna fuck it up for everyone than someone who is all ready involved in the community.

So maybe the Dead Thread option should only be available to people who have finished one GAF mafia game?

EDIT: If I end up a replacement this season. I may just request the Dead Thread.

Ourobolus

Banned

Yeah, that's my only concern as well.

Swamped

Banned
Crab! I'm going to reiterate my suggestion of having a pronoun guide as well. I think it would be a good idea, especially if we have loads of new players next round.

Karkador

Banned
So, I haven't heard back from Karkador or MattyG yet. Not sure if it'll factor into your consideration, but I can easily tone mine down to a more contained game; it's how I originally planned it, actually, so it's not a huge deal to me. Although, the amount of players would be subject to change, possibly bumping it up to 23.

I've been very busy lately, but I do intend to fulfill my commitment. I'm sorry if it's caused some panic.

Exactly what is the timeframe that you want to launch this game? I feel like it took us a month for Matt and I to get our stuff finalized

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Crab! I'm going to reiterate my suggestion of having a pronoun guide as well. I think it would be a good idea, especially if we have loads of new players next round.

Yes, sorry - I didn't add it to my typed notes as they're from this thread. but have actually already added this to the new OT I've been working on.

I've been very busy lately, but I do intend to fulfill my commitment. I'm sorry if it's caused some panic.

Exactly what is the timeframe that you want to launch this game? I feel like it took us a month for Matt and I to get our stuff finalized

The reason I brought it up is that we forego you (and MattyG) looking it over if I'll have to redesign it anyway. I know you guys are busy, I haven't exactly been in the best shape either lately so I totally understand.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

I suggest setting up a setup thread using QuickTopic like I did, and PMing this rounds moderators the link (but obviously not to me). Right I will say that Ouro, Launch and traube will all be moderators because I think it is highly unlikely that we will not have enough players for three games and they expressed first interest, but I may take a fourth person later. You'll probably have around three weeks-ish from recruitment thread to game-start; but we can extend of necessary.

RE: spectators, that's a fair concern, I agree on restricting to previous players, and also add that they can't have been ones that just inactive'd without informing the moderator.

Palmer_v1

- Stress time commitment
- Ban use of email tags
- Phase shortening at moderator discretion, with a minimum 3/1. However, moderator must inform players how phase shortening will work from the very start rather than just shorten it semi-arbitrarily.
- Pausing game briefly in games that do allow replacements so they can find their feet
- No discussion of game material after the deadline, deadlines more strictly enforced [i.e. if Karkador set a 3:00 PM Wednesday time stamp, then game material should not be discussed after that time-stamp even if he hasn't had time to close the day]
- No spoilers in avatars
- Allow dead players the choice between going to the dead thread or being kept blind so they could swap in as a replacement if necessary (I doubt this rule will will ever be used, as we've had a long enough waiting list every game to absorb replacements, but there you go)
- Very basic "how to play guide" - as in, basic strategies not explaining how to vote

- How to handle flavour

Bolded for emphasis. To be clear, you mean don't deliberately check for player's activity outside of their actual Mafia game, i.e. I think Timeaisis is a Mafia because I see him posting in Pony GAF all the time, but he can't be bothered to reply to anything in the game. Using their inactivity WITHIN a game should be perfectly normal, i.e. RNH is a sandbagging shitbird who has posted less than the moderator has.

Ourobolus

Banned
Bolded for emphasis. To be clear, you mean don't deliberately check for player's activity outside of their actual Mafia game, i.e. I think Timeaisis is a Mafia because I see him posting in Pony GAF all the time, but he can't be bothered to reply to anything in the game. Using their inactivity WITHIN a game should be perfectly normal, i.e. RNH is a sandbagging shitbird who has posted less than the moderator has.

To be fair, this would certainly qualify as suspicious behavior.

Timeaisis

Dammit, Palmer! I said never to mention this!

Timeaisis just got railroaded for all future mafia games. GG.

Palmer_v1

Sorry man, I had to bus you for the good of mankind.

Also, can we petition to have one of the bro's change their name? Absolutbruh and/or Quantumdude.

Edit: Another thought, Crab. Acronym list? Someone was just bringing up lylo and mylo. I just used bus. I feel like I've seen other ones come up as well.

nin1000

Banned
For me , there is no hurry in starting the next game. I would rather play a good and well planned game than a rushed one.

Palmer_v1

Cause I'm bored, here's the list of our two time winners:

Johnnyquickknives
Palmer_v1
Kalor
Kingkitty
Tomakasatnav
Timeaisis
ultron87
nin1000

And our two time losers(ha!):

Traube
Lord of Castamere

I may have missed someone. I think Absolutbro was the only veteran player that became Mafia this round, unless you count me. Everyone else was in their first GAF Mafia game.

Town is 2 for 3. Neutrals are 2 for 3.

Mafia: WDIOTL - 2073 posts - Ended Day 11
Star Wars - 3368 - Night 9
Animal Crossing - 3537 - Day 11

Zatoth

I think it would be a good idea to create a google doc for the player/waiting list. Should be easier to keep track that way.

And our two time losers(ha!):

Traube
Lord of Castamere

tumblr_mebpdgtauQ1qcrnx8o1_500.jpg

I am still not used to your new avatar.

Timeaisis

Also, can we petition to have one of the bro's change their name? Absolutbruh and/or Quantumdude.

Edit: Another thought, Crab. Acronym list? Someone was just bringing up lylo and mylo. I just used bus. I feel like I've seen other ones come up as well.

Kind of funny in our first game we had two Bros, and in the second we had two Hobos.

Being mafia was haaaard :c

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Palmer, you're now a two-times winning, two-times surviving, one-time Best Player which probably gives you the best on-paper record of our players.

Expect a lot of N1 deaths.

Palmer_v1

Palmer, you're now a two-times winning, two-times surviving, one-time Best Player which probably gives you the best on-paper record of our players.

On the other hand, everyone knows I'm frequently targeted N1, so I make a great target for investigation and/or protection! Come at me, mafia, so we can out you and kill you immediately afterwards.

But seriously, yes, I realize I'm likely an early target. I look forward to ruling the Dead Thread with an iron first and PM'ing the shit out of the mods.

Ourobolus

Banned
On the other hand, everyone knows I'm frequently targeted N1, so I make a great target for investigation and/or protection! Come at me, mafia, so we can out you and kill you immediately afterwards.

But seriously, yes, I realize I'm likely an early target. I look forward to ruling the Dead Thread with an iron first and PM'ing the shit out of the mods.

Man, there's a role or two I hope you randomly get in my game, lol.

Zubz

Banned
So we ended up with:

- One dead thread
- no copy/pasting your role PM (paraphrasing ok, win condition at mod's discretion)
- test to mod kill after Day 3 (maybe)
- immediate mod kill if squidy begins posting

Anything else?

- Stress time commitment
- Ban use of email tags
- No spoilers in avatars

- How to handle flavour

I'm a fan of all these ideas. Sorry if I wasn't too active in the Dead Thread, by the way. By the time I lost the Star Wars game, the Animal Crossing game had so much going on that I couldn't keep track of everything! But regardless, I'd love to be in the next game; this game was a blast, and I just see GAF Mafia getting bigger from here on out!

Timeaisis

Damn, your right. Two time surviving, too. Wow. I don't know how Palmer pulled that last role of his off, to be quite honest.

There's also no way that anybody ends up liking Darryl in any future game.

you're hot out the fucking gate sherlock

squidyj

I was hoping someone might address my softing or soft-claiming.

squidyj

I assume a soft claim is when you've hinted at something, but haven't outright declared it.

Yeah more or less. Although it's not necessarily direct hinting but maybe representing knowledge like when I suggested their might be an inverse timmy (or was it tommy) on town's side, I was soft-claiming.

Top Bottom