• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Temporary GAF Mafia Thread |OT| In which we scheme

• Thread starter Deleted member 231381
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I do prefer one dead thread myself. Just throwing the idea out there.

Another alternative is that if we know game X needs a replacement, we can just wait until a player dies in game Y, and swap them over rather than giving them dead thread access.

That could also work. It should only be done if we don't have a new player willing to do it, though.

Kevyt

That could also work. It should only be done if we don't have a new player willing to do it, though.

Based Crab, what dost thou think about having two dead threads in a Mafia game? Per my previous post?

nah dude what, I was only serious in the game :x

I always thought you were jokeful in the game.

Just saw this, and had to post it for Nin1000 - Commander Holly from Youtube went to AnimeExpo as Brewster from Animal Crossing. It's kind of adorable.

Private messages? :p

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Based Crab, what dost thou think about having two dead threads in a Mafia game? Per my previous post?

If a player is definitely dead and has no chance of returning to the main thread, then I'd prefer they joined the community dead thread (presumably, this would be being Banished to the Shadow Realm). If there is a chance a player or group of players could be revived, they need to be kept separate from the community thread because of spoilers, so that would need a seperate dead thread, or even just no thread at all if you want to make sure they can't communicate. I would prefer use of the latter is kept to a minimum, as it's less fun for players and good for the community, but it can be an engaging mechanic in small doses.

I always thought you were jokeful in the game.

1517.gif

Just saw this, and had to post it for Nin1000 - Commander Holly from Youtube went to AnimeExpo as Brewster from Animal Crossing. It's kind of adorable.

What's the MH stand for, Retro?

Kevyt

If a player is definitely dead and has no chance of returning to the main thread, then I'd prefer they joined the community dead thread (presumably, this would be being Banished to the Shadow Realm). If there is a chance a player or group of players could be revived, they need to be kept separate from the community thread because of spoilers, so that would need a seperate dead thread, or even just no thread at all if you want to make sure they can't communicate. I would prefer use of the latter is kept to a minimum, as it's less fun for players and good for the community, but it can be an engaging mechanic in small doses.

That seems like it then! I'll definitely do that if my theme gets the green light (and the players) o:

1517.gif

Metal Head.

RetroMG

Private messages? :p

Thought about it, but I thought others might enjoy it as well.

Years and years ago I tried to launch a website called Midnight Gamer, it was originally going to be a review site, then it was briefly a webcomic.

Anyway, I made my PSN and Xbox accounts as Retro from MG. Thus: RetroMG.

Also, hey, my name change came through!

Kevyt

Thought about it, but I thought others might enjoy it as well.

Years and years ago I tried to launch a website called Midnight Gamer, it was originally going to be a review site, then it was briefly a webcomic.

Anyway, I made my PSN and Xbox accounts as Retro from MG. Thus: RetroMG.

Also, hey, my name change came through!

Just messing with ya!

How did it happen so fast? I had to wait like two weeks for my name change to pass through.

"favoritism" is what it is... ;_;

jk :p

Kalor

Did anyone message the person who was replaced first in the Animal Crossing game? I remember them saying that they would be interested in the next round of games.

Palmer_v1

So we haven't returned to this yet:

Can we discuss what's acceptable in the context of quoting something from your role, or any PM in general? This might apply to quicktopic chats to some degree as well. For example, I made up a role claim but put it in quote tags in the same general format MattyG sent them. Were the quote tags bad? Copying his format? I'd prefer to know where the line is on this

Here's my example, specifically: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=169650113&postcount=2782.

Note that the actual content of that quote is basically made up. I pretty much had my role PM opened in a different window while I typed out a fake role claim in MattyG's format.

So was that cheating? Bending the rules? Completely fair play?

This partly comes about due to my desire for consistency and preference for non-themed games. This is probably a tangent, but if I want to fake role claim something, I'd prefer to be able to say "I'm a Town Cop" regardless of what Theme is being run. As soon as I have to start incorporating fluff, the games loses some of it's purity, and it puts new players and people unfamiliar with the theme at a disadvantage.

ultron87

The only time the direct quoting thing is really trouble is if there's a role multiple people have, where they don't already know each other, and that text isn't public. If the ordinary town role PM is in the OP it removes basically all these problems and Launchpad can't cheat anymore.

Karkador

Banned
My feeling on it is that if it's something that even slightly resembles showing your card to someone in a live game (which is just wrong), it shouldn't be allowed.

Forging what looks like a role PM as a fake claim is like pulling out a fake role card and showing it to people.

Palmer_v1

The only time the direct quoting thing is really trouble is if there's a role multiple people have, where they don't already know each other, and that text isn't public. If the ordinary town role PM is in the OP it removes basically all these problems and Launchpad can't cheat anymore.

I missed whatever launchpad did, apparently.

Do you call my role claim up there a direct quote? Here's an example:

Welcome!

You are a Bothan Spy.

You are neutral.

It started out as just a routine extraction of a/an <role>, but those damned Imperials just had to complicate things. No matter what, you need to keep <name> alive. To do so, you can protect <name> during a night phase by sending me a PM with the command PROTECT. During the day, you must use your cunning to convince the others of <name's> innocence if they attempt to detain them.

You win when <name> survives the game and their faction wins.

MattyG said:
Welcome!

You are a Bothan Spy.

You are neutral.

It started out as just a routine extraction of a/an <role>, but those damned Imperials just had to complicate things. No matter what, you need to keep <name> alive. To do so, you can protect <name> during a night phase by sending me a PM with the command PROTECT. During the day, you must use your cunning to convince the others of <name's> innocence if they attempt to detain them.

Welcome!

You are a Bothan Spy.

You are neutral.

Are one of those better than the others?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
During the game we had people asking for specifics from the PMs. It's hard to emulate the fuzziness of personal-speech online when every bit of your posts can be scrutinized forever. Not that I'm necessarily pro-forging but I don't think treating the game 1:1 is always the wisest course of action.

I do agree it's at odds with flavor though.

Palmer_v1

My feeling on it is that if it's something that even slightly resembles showing your card to someone in a live game (which is just wrong), it shouldn't be allowed.

Forging what looks like a role PM as a fake claim is like pulling out a fake role card and showing it to people.

and we always have a house rule that you cannot read your role card to anyone either, since even the phrasing can be pretty telling.

So using my example above, and assuming it was my ACTUAL role, and not a lie, would it be okay to copy/paste a section without quoting?

Hey guys, I'm a Bothan Spy. This is what my win condition says: You win when <name> survives the game and their faction wins.

Edit: Few others posted. I don't think anyone will disagree with players paraphrasing stuff. I'm fine with it if that's where we draw the line. There's just a little too much gray area CURRENTLY.

Everyone is changing their names! It's madness!
Seriously. Its gonna make it harder to account for old playstyles in newer games.

At the least can we frown upon getting names changed in the middle of games? I feel like thats a bit too much unnecessary chaos.

Everyone wants to be new and fresh for the new game ;)

i dont know how to shorten my name any furthter , since i think there will be a GAF member with "nin" as a name

Just change it to 'n'

It's the only way.

fite me m8

Zubz

Banned
Sorry I haven't been keeping up with this thread too much; I got back from Comic Con on Sunday and have been cramming for tests ever since. So are we looking to do Archer for a fact, then? And if so, will it be one huge game or Archer and something else, like Blarg's proposed Gravity Falls one?

Sorry I haven't been keeping up with this thread too much; I got back from Comic Con on Sunday and have been cramming for tests ever since. So are we looking to do Archer for a fact, then? And if so, will it be one huge game or Archer and something else, like Blarg's proposed Gravity Falls one?

None of the games are a sure thing yet, we're still sorting that out.

kingkitty

thanks for the input guys, but after hours of careful deliberation, I've decided the best course of action would be to do absolutely nothing.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
thanks for the input guys, but after hours of careful deliberation, I've decided the best course of action would be to do absolutely nothing.
AC mafia approved strategy.

Why do things when village will work against themselves for you?

Top Bottom