• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

Peru

bud said:
but women's tennis, on the other hand, is just... done. i can't remember any recent matches i've seen that were fun to watch. wouldn't it benefit the viewer if they'd just make them wear skimpier clothes or something.

That's your problem for not watching much, in my opinion. Your joke'ish sexist jab suggests a pre-determined mindset anyways.

It had a weak year from late 2007 to 2009, a real slump that was natural seeing as many of the greats quit / retired / were injured, and the new growth hadn't, well, grown into stability yet. But this year is showing that we're looking ahead at at new golden, or at least silver, period for the WTA. Did you watch anything from Stuttgart? Rome? Safina vs Venus? Did you watch the new teenage stars Wozniacki (low on UE's, super quick) and Azarenka (aggressive, varied) on their favorite surface, hardcourt, winning tournaments earlier this year? The williams sisters still kickin' ass, girls like Safina and Kuznetsova and Zvonareva growing more stable, and the new greats, including possible surprises like Lisicki (super aggressive, entertaining, almost hyperactive in her winners) (god, we need another german star) making for a varied field. AND comebacks from Sharapova now and Kim Clijsters this fall. To be honest it looks to more exciting, ranking-wise, than the ATP, which is growing stale behind the top 4, for the next year or two.

agrajag

Banned
Manics said:
You know what I mean, Fed is on the massive decline right now where he used to be untouchable. Not just losing to Nadal but more and more players scattered throughout the top 10.

Why should he quit, as long as he's still playing at top 10 level and making money? Doesn't make too much sense to me.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Manics said:
Not close enough yet:

1z3qjcn.jpg

why would they all look so angry on the ranking? tennis is a gentlemanly game.

Peru

The Madrid ball girls are 'something else', aren't they... I hear they get a nice pay and the ball boys get nothing.

ballgirlmadrid.jpg

Peru said:
The Madrid ball girls are 'something else', aren't they... I hear they get a nice pay and the ball boys get nothing.

ballgirlmadrid.jpg

Sexual discrimination needs to end. One day us men will fight for our equal rights.

So when does the Roland Garros draws come out?

bjaelke

I wouldn't mind doing it for free if she was opposite of me bending over like that :lol

And props to Wozniacki...well played semi against Mauresmo.

Splatt

Bravo Nadal!

Great match. Both Djokovic and Nadal played great. The one with more experience won.

Here's to more of these matches!

Steroyd

It looks like Novak's the only one who's been consistantly troubling Nadal on clay.

Here's hoping for a Nadal - Djokovich final at Roland Garos. :D

Although it still seems like a Mount Everest challenge to successfully take 3 sets off the guy.

MIMIC

Banned
Federer should just tank his match against Del Potro so he isn't embarrassed again. People think Federer might have the upper hand since Nadal played such a physically demanding match, but that's what everyone thought after Nadal's 5-setter semi-final against Verdasco at the Australian Open.

Peru

MIMIC said:
Federer should just tank his match against Del Potro so he isn't embarrassed again. People think Federer might have the upper hand since Nadal played such a physically demanding match, but that's what everyone thought after Nadal's 5-setter semi-final against Verdasco at the Australian Open.

Losing against Nadal on clay isn't embarassing, it's expected. Nothing to lose here.

Anyway, coming up now, good to see these two at it again after a break in duels.

Wes

venison crêpe
Why watch that when you can watch

AGASSI/GRAF vs HENMAN/CLIJSTERS

at the new Wimbledon Centre Court with the roof overhead.

Wes

venison crêpe
Dizzan said:
What? Where? How?

5-5. They're only playing to one set.

Next is Agassi v Henman then Graf v Clijsters singles.

Agassi just hit a return right at Clijsters and Graf scolded him for it :lol

Peru

Wes said:
Why watch that when you can watch

AGASSI/GRAF vs HENMAN/CLIJSTERS

at the new Wimbledon Centre Court with the roof overhead.

Because Fed took the first set from Nadal, so it's an unusual sight.

How's the climate doing inside that dome? Clijsters ripe for a return?

Dizzan

MINI Member
Wes said:
5-5. They're only playing to one set.

Next is Agassi v Henman then Graf v Clijsters singles.

Agassi just hit a return right at Clijsters and Graf scolded him for it :lol

Is there a stream?

Wes

venison crêpe
Henman and Clijsters won.

Agassi: "I'd just like to say that my wife is so much better than Tim's wife at tennis" :lol

nny

oh snap, Federer beat Nadal on clay, 64 64. Let's see if this is enough to give him back his old confidence.

clemenx

Banned
Fuck! I woke up on the last game :lol
Color me surprised, how did he looked? If he won it just means he's not being a little bitch anymore, the talent was always there.

Peru

Played well, backhand, forcing Nadal out, taking advantage of it, keeping Federror out of the way mostly. Good show, very soundly played, tactically. Should be a great big confidence boost. Third player to beat Nadal in some 130 matches on clay.

clemenx

Banned
He must be the first ever to beat Nadal in clay 2 times no?
This just means Nadal will win Wimbledon again, they have to be even!

Manics

Banned
MIMIC said:

Nice prediction Fed-hater.

Manics

Banned
John Dunbar said:
lol Federer should retire before he ruins his legacy further.

This tournament means fuck all to his legacy. The legacy is the grand slam titles, catching and passing Sampras. He's lost to Nadal on every surface now (Aussie surface same as U.S. Open) so THAT's what will ruin him. If anything Nadal is going to be even more focused now for the French, he's gonna make Federer cry yet again. Federer is still a little whiny bitch for crying at the Australian Open final, Nadal is going to crush him at the French after being embarrassed in front of his home crowd. Perhaps Mimic was right, Fed should have thrown the semis so Nadal wouldn't be on guard for the French Open.

MIMIC

Banned
Manics said:
Nice prediction Fed-hater.

Could you blame me? 2-11 against Nadal on clay doesn't exactly scream "Federer is the favorite"

But anyway, good for Federer. But I still want to see a Djokovic-Nadal French Open final. The organizers better put Djokovic on Fed's side.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Manics said:
This tournament means fuck all to his legacy. The legacy is the grand slam titles, catching and passing Sampras. He's lost to Nadal on every surface now (Aussie surface same as U.S. Open) so THAT's what will ruin him.

funny you should bring up sampras and grand slams. sampras won his 14th slam 2 years after his 13th, so federer is doing a lot better than him still. federer also has been in a slam final the last 4 times now and won one of them. one thing that sure as hell isn't tainting federer's legacy is his grand slam performances.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Bit of a gimme for Roger after Nadal's epic comeback against Novak yesterday. Wonder if Nadal's knees will hold up for Roland Garros.

MIMIC said:
Could you blame me? 2-11 against Nadal on clay doesn't exactly scream "Federer is the favorite"

But anyway, good for Federer. But I still want to see a Djokovic-Nadal French Open final. The organizers better put Djokovic on Fed's side.
Shit, man, everything is a win-win situation for you. Have you ever lost anything?

Top Bottom