• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

Manics

Banned
MIMIC said:
Could you blame me? 2-11 against Nadal on clay doesn't exactly scream "Federer is the favorite"

But anyway, good for Federer. But I still want to see a Djokovic-Nadal French Open final. The organizers better put Djokovic on Fed's side.

I was just pointing out your Fed-hate that you claim not to have. Had Nadal won today you would have posted within 5 seconds of the final point with a huge :lol :lol :lol

French Open draw should be the same as this, since Djokovic is the 4th seed he should be on Nadal's side. That way if the top 4 seeds win all the way through to the semis you have Murray - Fededer on one side (2 vs. 3) and Nadal - Djokovic on the other (1-4). Top seed should always play the lower ranked opponent in the semi.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Manics said:
French Open draw should be the same as this, since Djokovic is the 4th seed he should be on Nadal's side. That way if the top 4 seeds win all the way through to the semis you have Murray - Fededer on one side (2 vs. 3) and Nadal - Djokovic on the other (1-4). Top seed should always play the lower ranked opponent in the semi.

It's random in Grand Slams (and possibly in all tournaments). Number 3 can go on either side, and then 4 goes on the other, so Djokovic and Federer might meet in the semi.

Dizzan

MINI Member
Awesome for Feds. I hope he can pull out a few more majors, and id love to see him beat rafa at the french.

MIMIC

Banned
Manics said:
I was just pointing out your Fed-hate that you claim not to have. Had Nadal won today you would have posted within 5 seconds of the final point with a huge :lol :lol :lol

I didn't even watch it @_@

French Open draw should be the same as this, since Djokovic is the 4th seed he should be on Nadal's side.

That's not how it works. The 3rd/4th seed could be either on the top half or the bottom half of the draw

unomas

Banned
John Dunbar said:
It's random in Grand Slams (and possibly in all tournaments). Number 3 can go on either side, and then 4 goes on the other, so Djokovic and Federer might meet in the semi.

Correct, it's random in all tournaments from the junior to professional level. Djoker could end up in either of their halves of the draw. They do this type of seeding to make it fair to all the players, it's not like the NFL or NBA where certain seeds will always draw eachother no matter what like 1 vs 8 in the NBA.

As far as the impact of this win for Fed, he definitely dipped in to the serve and volley and drop shot bag much more this time against Rafa, but Rafa did look a step slow in the match probably due to his marathon with Djoker in the semis. I don't know though, I would have thought his marathon match with Verdasco at the Aussie open this year would have caused more fatigue yet he beat Federer in that tournament final. The pounding of hardcourts on the body is much more severe than that of claycourts. Tired or not, a win is a win, but Ralph is still the favorite at the French by a mile.

GrayFoxPL

Sharapova plays right now in Warsaw.

She looks good, but kind of struggles with Tathiana Garbin.

1:0 for Sharapova.

Peru

Severe choke after leading 4-0 in the second set, but at the same time, after choking away the set to win the third relatively comfortably was very reassuring. When she was on, she looked as fierce as ever. Nice comeback after 9 months without any competition.

Cush

Has anyone been to the French Open? I'll be in Paris next week and I was thinking of going on Tuesday (the 26th). I'm wondering if tickets to the outside courts suffice or if I should spring for one of the main courts. Any advice?

Akira

If I were you, I would get tickets to either of the two show courts. But it would still be nice to experience the outside courts as well.

Federer beating Nadal on clay was a downer. Former Federer fan speaking. :D

Hootie said:
Like, the 22nd in Yurop time or Amurka time? Because if it's Yurop that means they could be availible tomorrow night

ESPN says friday. I guess they mean Friday night in Europe, Friday Morning in Estados Unidos.

What the hell with the animosity--hostility even--towards Federer? He's one of the most complete guy in the Tennis right now: great plays, great form, great personality, and good-looking to boot. I believed even many of his peers said that he is one of nicest man in the tour, and I heard a story that once he went to one of the most expensive resort in the world and all he did there was playing Tennis :D He did not even touch the booze. Seriously, this guy is very likable!

Anyway,

1000xl.jpg

Believe :D

Peru

It's just Mimic.

Anyway, the main draw for Roland Garros is out in half an hour, I'm thinking of opening a French Open official thread after that.

MIMIC

Banned
I don't hate him....I just like when he loses :D

The man has 13 Grand Slams. Boo-urns if I cheer for someone else.

Peru

3604370841_62244829a3_b.jpg

Well, folks, Fed has got his career slam and with that the clay season is over. Already tomorrow, monday, the ALL TOO SHORT grass season we all love starts. Damn, I love real lawn tennis, and I just wish we'd gotten more of it. Can't some countries outside of the UK start cultivating grass courts? MORE GRASS TOURNAMENTS.

Peru

Nadal confirms that he'll play Wimbledon (not surprisingly).
Meanwhile the men are playing the Queen's, just watched a rather nice match between Ljubicic and Blake. Man, I've missed the grass. Girls, among them Sharapova, in Birmingham.

Nadal has apparently been in pain for months, which sheds some more light into his recent losses to Federer and Soderling, although by no means takes away from the achievement of his opponents.

He's undergoing physical therapy to get ready for Wimbledon:

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/news/story?id=4245078

article said:
MADRID -- Rafael Nadal will travel to London next Tuesday in hopes of defending his Wimbledon title despite having played with pain in his knees for months.

The top-ranked Spaniard said in a statement Tuesday that after two days of medical tests in Barcelona he has decided to try physical therapy to prepare for the tournament, which starts June 22.

"I am going to give my 200 percent to be ready for the most important tournament in the world," Nadal said. "I will not go out and play, especially on the Wimbledon Centre Court, if I am not 100 percent ready to play.

"I have two difficult weeks ahead of me, especially because I won't be doing what I like doing most, which is to play tennis."

Nadal withdrew from a grass-court warmup event at Queen's Club this week. His 31-match winning streak at the French Open ended with a fourth-round loss to eventual finalist Robin Soderling.

"I have been playing with pain on my knees for some months now and I simply can't go on like this," Nadal said. "The pain was limiting certain movements in my body, which affected me mentally as well."

Spanish Tennis Federation physician Dr. Angel Ruiz-Cotorro said Nadal has tendinitis in both knees.

"His treatment will involve oral anti-inflammatories, physiotherapy, as well as muscular exercises for both quadriceps," Ruiz-Cotorro said.

Peru

Meanwhile, at Roger's..

Dear fans

I am sorry to announce that I have decided to withdraw from this week's Gerry Weber Open in Halle, Germany.

I sincerely apologize to the tournament organizers, my competitors, and my fans in Germany. I only hope they will understand that I still feel emotionally overwhelmed and exhausted by the incredible events of the past few days. It is hard for me to admit, but I simply cannot imagine giving my best effort in another tournament right away and I don't want to risk injury if I am not 100% prepared. I need to rest and recuperate.

I look forward to returning to Halle in 2010 to go for my sixth title. It is one of my favorite events on the ATP World Tour.

Murray is king of Queen's

_45922728_murray_hi_512.jpg

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/8099594.stm

Did anyone watch the match? How did he play?

I know conventional wisdom says that his style isn't best suited for grass, but I think the difference between the surfaces today is mostly psychological. The players are so into "clay is my favorite" or "I like moving on grass better" or what have you that they psyche themselves out. Everyone is so physically superior to the players of 20 years ago that the lines of play style and types of ball movement are getting blurred. Adding to that, the Wimbledon grass last year was supposedly the slowest it's ever been and clay surfaces are a little speedier than usual, if players and commentators are to be believed.

The short of it is that Andy Murray could be a real contender if he believes in it. I think he's got more of a chance to take out Rafa or Federer than Djokovic does, so it's very interesting to me whose side he'll wind up on.

Peru

He wasn't TOO great, against weaker opponents than he'll meet in Wimbledon, but I'm sure he'll be pumped enough for center court to perform at his best.

Peru

Watching the Australian Open '08 clash between Justin Henin and Maria Sharapova (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHNRRJpaehA). Tears of joy, what a rare clash of planets this was, Sharapova playing genuinely flawless tennis, with so much more to her game than before. Henin playing GREAT, at least first set, just mindblowing defense and a wild comeback from breaks down in that set. Remember, Henin had won 31 matches in a row at this point of the year, and was ranked a solid #1. Then she's bageled in the second set, without playing badly. Crystallized energy and precision from Maria. Every day I pray to Federer that she comes back from the injury enough to reach this isolated plateau of greatness.

Oh and I was at the Båstad Collector Swedish Open Women this week, from first round to semi finals. Got some hot up close encounters with Kirilenko and others on camera. Great tournament, btw, idyllic town and a beautiful stadium.

And the clothing they had for the ball kids/ referees / umpires / tournament officials from the good guys at Hunkydory competes for best tennis suits ever.

Hunkydory_200.jpg

Got myself a snazzy piquet shirt from the limited edition collection myself.

avaya

Peru said:
Every day I pray to Federer that she comes back from the injury enough to reach this isolated plateau of greatness..

:lol

You should post the Bastad pics, surprised Maria Jose got this far.

Peru

Yeah I'll get back to the photos when I upload them.

Loved watching Maria Jose play, I'm glad she's blooming now, late in her career, because I don't think I've ever seen a player - male or female - use the dropshot more consistently. Every game, several times! Very entertaining tennis.

MIMIC

Banned
Yes, this is real :lol

LONDON (AP) - Richard Gasquet escaped a lengthy doping ban Wednesday when the International Tennis Federation's tribunal panel ruled that he inadvertently took cocaine by kissing a woman in a nightclub.

The 23-year-old Frenchman, who was cleared to resume playing after completing a 2 1/2-month ban on Wednesday, convinced the independent anti-doping tribunal that he ingested cocaine with the kiss with the woman he had just met.

The tribunal panel of three lawyers said Gasquet consumed no more than "a grain of salt" of the drug, and a long ban would be an injustice in a case which was "unusual to the point of being probably unique."

"We have found the player to be a person who is shy and reserved, honest and truthful, and a man of integrity and good character," the tribunal said in its ruling. "He is neither a cheat nor a user of drugs for recreational purposes."

The ITF, which had sought a two-year ban under the terms of the World Anti-Doping Agency's code, was told to impose a retroactive ban of 2 months, 15 days. That cleared 32nd-ranked Gasquet to resume playing.

Gasquet will play again "in the next few weeks," his spokesman Arnaud Lagardere said in a statement.

Gasquet tested positive in a urine sample in March after he pulled out of the Sony Ericsson Open in Key Biscayne, Florida, with a shoulder injury.

After deciding to withdraw from the tournament he went to a nightclub in Miami with friends to see a French DJ perform at a dance music festival, which the tribunal noted was "notoriously associated with use of illegal recreational drugs including cocaine."

Gasquet told the tribunal hearing held in London last month that he kissed a woman, identified in the ruling only as "Pamela."

The tribunal said it was likely she had consumed cocaine during the night, though it had no direct evidence.

Gasquet was "on the balance of probability, contaminated with cocaine by Pamela" and, therefore, not significantly at fault for the doping offense, the ruling said.

"We take into account that the amount of cocaine in the player's body was so small that if he had been tested only a few hours later, his test result would be likely to have been negative," the tribunal stated.

Gasquet also argued at the hearing that his positive test was given after he had pulled out of the Key Biscayne tournament. Cocaine is a banned drug for athletes in competition.
FOX Sports

Would have been more believable had he said it was a man (ba da....tssssssss)

Peru

Yeah.. as I said in the thread about it, no matter if it's true I'm happy he's off. There have been murmurs of insignificant doping testing in tennis, and some hidden use that could go unnoticed, but a trace of cocaine for some unlucky guy is not what they need to go after.

The sad truth is that Martina Hingis had even less of the stuff in her body and it ended her career. Come back.

Cheez-It

agrajag said:
So tennis GAf, let me ask you this. What grips do you use when you play? I use semi-western for forehand and extreme eastern/semi-western backhand. One handed backhand.

Refer to this if you're not sure of the names of different grips:

http://www.tennis.com/yourgame/gear/general/general.aspx?id=649

Semi-western forehand. 2hbh. I don't change my grip for the dominant hand on the backhand. It is quite helpful for returns against big servers*. Gets them mad.

*excluding lefties. I hate lefties.

zero_suit

mario ate my burger said:
Tennis thread <3

What do you guys think about what Sampras said about Fed last week?

Sampras Says Nadal Challenges Federer's GOAT Claim

It's a legitimate argument. Did Sampras have any rivals that owned him or at least had a winning record against him?

In majors, Federer is 2-5 against Nadal, 7-13 overall.

Sure, Federer has the numbers, but can you really say he's the GOAT when he basically has no answers for Nadal?

zero_suit said:
It's a legitimate argument. Did Sampras have any rivals that owned him or at least had a winning record against him?

In majors, Federer is 2-5 against Nadal, 7-13 overall.

Sure, Federer has the numbers, but can you really say he's the GOAT when he basically has no answers for Nadal?

Agreed. Nadal's beat him in the last 3 GS finals on 3 different surfaces. At this rate Fed can't even be called the greatest of his generation, let alone of all time. That can change though if he can still beating Nadal again in Grand Slam's.

The US Open should be interesting.

Steroyd

mario ate my burger said:
Tennis thread <3

What do you guys think about what Sampras said about Fed last week?

Sampras Says Nadal Challenges Federer's GOAT Claim

It's true, the fact that there would have been heavy skeptism as to wether Federer, would have equalled and beaten Sampras' record if Nadal made it to the French Open final/didn't get injured for Wimbledon, is a testamant to Nadal's dominance over Federer.

However the confidence gained from winning those 2 majors might be what he needs, to overcome Nadal now.

clemenx

Banned
Nope, the tour is more than 2 players. Federer's dominance over the whole tour cannot be shadowed by a mere H2H.

It does embiggens Nadal but it does nothing against Federer IMO.

Esperado

I think the problem with trying to take away credit from Federer's last two majors is that injuries are part of the game. It's because of Nadal's playing style that his knees have to be taped up and cared for so much. It's not Federer's fault that Nadal pushed his tendons passed their natural limits.

Federer is still the best with relative ease. Not only does he have the most Grand Slams, he's the most consistent player on the tour. As has pointed out numerous times, in the last 17 GS played, Federer has only missed 1 final (last years Australian Open). You can pretty much count on him always being there. The only final GS you can really count on Nadal making it to is the French. Hell, he's never even been the the final of the US Open.

MIMIC

Banned
Roger is now the proud father of the WTA's version of the Bryan Bros.

ENEVA, Switzerland -- Roger Federer became a father of twin girls after his wife Mirka gave birth Thursday.

In a statement released on his personal Web site and Facebook page, tennis' world No. 1 said the girls have been named Charlene Riva and Myla Rose.

"I have some exciting news to share with you," Federer's Facebook page said.

"Late last night, in Switzerland, Mirka and I became proud parents of twin girls.

"We named them Myla Rose and Charlene Riva and they are both healthy, and along with their mother they are doing great.

"This is the best day of our lives."

It was the first children for the couple, married in April.

Earlier this month, Mirka sat courtside through the nerve-racking Wimbledon final in which Federer beat American Andy Roddick 5-7, 7-6 (6), 7-6 (5), 3-6, 16-14 to clinch his 15th grand slam title, breaking the record held by Pete Sampras.

The 27-year-old Federer met his wife-to-be -- born Miroslava Vavrinec in Slovakia -- in 2000 when they were competing for Switzerland in the Sydney Olympics.

Mirka, 31, emigrated with her family to Switzerland as a small child, and after playing on the WTA Tour and retiring prematurely due to injury, she became one of Federer's managers.
ESPN

perfectchaos007 said:
The will be the next William sisters in 2030

Are their any famous tennis players of several generations? I can't think of any off hand.

I vaguely remember a quote from John McEnroe when someone asked if his children played tennis. He said something about it not being what he called tennis.

Peru

Was away on holiday when this monumental event happened. Let's hope it's not a DOUBLE FAULT for the newly weds, huh??? Why was there never a tennis-based romantic comedy with the Olsen twins named Double Fault made? Waste of a good title.

US hardcourt series tomorrow, Stanford, Sharapova, Williams sisters, great main draw overall, great matches from the first round.

Top Bottom