• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

gumshoe

Banned
Del Potro better keep it together in this final set. But he doesn't look like he has anything left in the tank.

MIMIC said:
http://atdhe.net/8393/watch-atp-montreal-final-murray-vs-del-potro

Murray's junkballing has got to be so frustrating. He has incredible defense skills but when it comes to it being neutral for both players, Murray does NOTHING with the ball. That's why I don't think he'll win the U.S. Open this year. He might make the finals again....and get steamrolled again.

his game does nothing for me, so boring.

Manics

Banned
So with Nadal at #3 now it sets up the interesting possibility that he may be in the same bracket as Fed during the U.S. Open. That would mean they could meet in the semis as opposed to the finals, how weird would that be?

agrajag

Banned
Manics said:
So with Nadal at #3 now it sets up the interesting possibility that he may be in the same bracket as Fed during the U.S. Open. That would mean they could meet in the semis as opposed to the finals, how weird would that be?

I don't think it would be that weird, their match will be epic no matter what.

zero_suit

Manics said:

That would be great. Nadal could kick Fed out before he reaches the finals.:D

perfectchaos007 said:
Murray has solidified his #2 position without winning a major. I'm affraid the mens game is heading the way of the womens game now :(
I don't get this mentality. What's wrong with that?

I don't follow motor sports, but I'm sure it's a similar situation: those that get very frequent great results are at the top of the point standings, even if they don't win championships.

That's how all points-based rankings work, and there's nothing wrong with that. One tournament is just one tournament.

agrajag

Banned
perfectchaos007 said:
well how was it? did you find out what college she played for?

So I finally played this chick. I forget what college she played for, I think it was Minnesota something, division I. She's from Peru originally, came to US via a tennis scholarship. She's definitely better than I am, a lot more consistent, especially on her back hand. Hits the ball very hard, low. It was really hard to return her balls when she hit them low and flat, and she ripped a few killer shots down the line. Best player I've ever played against. But she didn't murder me or dominate me, we were pretty evenly matched, bearing in mind that she hasn't played for a year and is rusty. Playing against someone of that caliber and holding my own made me feel a lot better about my game.

MIMIC

Banned
Just finished watching the match.

Nadal was pretty bad but Novak was OUTSTANDING! Serving at 82% for the first set and only faced 1 break point the entire match. Where has this in-form Novak been hiding all these months? :lol Much needed confidence for Novak after losing 5-straight times to Nadal (especially after that epic Madrid semi-final)

Go get Roger tomorrow!

MIMIC

Banned
Personally, I think the match is really tough to predict. Federer is the SLIGHT favorite but that really doesn't mean much, especially since Djokovic has beaten Fed 2 times this year already.

Could go either way and I wouldn't be surprised by either result (unless someone is routed).

Manics

Banned
MIMIC said:
Personally, I think the match is really tough to predict. Federer is the SLIGHT favorite but that really doesn't mean much, especially since Djokovic has beaten Fed 2 times this year already.

Could go either way and I wouldn't be surprised by either result (unless someone is routed).
Bet you're sad huh?

Meliorism

Nadal is gonna have an early exit at the US Open and it's gonna be really depressing. Only 23 and he's already on his downhill slide.

I just hope someone can challenge Federer.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Nihilism said:
Nadal is gonna have an early exit at the US Open and it's gonna be really depressing. Only 23 and he's already on his downhill slide.

I just hope someone can challenge Federer.

GOOO... Tsonga? :lol

Peru

Let's be a little careful with the "downhill slide" observations, since many in this thread got severely burnt when predicting various catastrophes for Federer.

Yogi_bear

MIMIC said:
Why would I be? I'm not a glory hunter.

The main difference is that with Federer it was all mental, people were saying that he just lost his touch and mental stability to put away top competition. With Nadal it's his body finally giving out on him. Nadal's main weapon was the fact that he could wear opponents down because he played every point to his max and with his style of play, his body is giving out on him. If he can't play that style of tennis anymore, he loses his main weapon and yes, is going to go through a major downhill slide in his career.

Oops, I quoted the wrong post, this was a response to the post about being cautious to say Nadal is on the downhill of his career

gumshoe

Banned
Federer played some amazing tennis in his last two matches. :O He is definitely sending a message to the other top players.

He is definitely the favorite for the U.S. Open, if there was any doubt to begin with. Winning 5 of the last 6 tournaments would be crazy, and them being 3 GSs and 2 Masters would be ridiculous. But if anyone can do it, it is Federer!!

Nothing is written in stone yet though. But lets go Federer!! :D

Manics

Banned
Peru said:
Let's be a little careful with the "downhill slide" observations, since many in this thread got severely burnt when predicting various catastrophes for Federer.

Federer is still on another level even from Nadal. Look at the longevity and dominance that Fed has been able to show on all surfaces.

It's funny how some Federer bashers (hint MIMIC) can't give this guy his proper place in history. Before Federer came along it was basically UNHEARD OF for a player to win 3 out of 4 slams in one calendar year. If Federer wins the US Open this year, it'll be the FOURTH time he's won 3 out of 4 in a calendar year.

Sampras never won 3 in one year.
Borg never won 3 in one year.
McEnroe never won 3 one year.
Connors did ONCE.

I just listed 4 of the all-time greats that no serious tennis expert would deny, yet of them only Jimmy Connors managed to win 3 slams out of 4 in one calendar year and he did that once. Federer is on the verge of doing it a 4th time.

Given how he's playing now I can see Federer still winning at least 3-4 more slams in the next couple of years. That'll put him in the 18-19 range, probably never to be touched by anyone.

MIMIC

Banned
Manics said:
Federer is still on another level even from Nadal. Look at the longevity and dominance that Fed has been able to show on all surfaces.

It's funny how some Federer bashers (hint MIMIC) can't give this guy his proper place in history.

You just a few months ago:

Manics said:
He has to win Wimbledon, nevermind just making the finals. If he can't beat Nadal on any surface any longer it's over.

Manics said:
Federer should just retire already before he ruins his legacy any further.

You're such a glory hunting moron. Why don't you just stop watching.

ETA:

mario ate my burger: The draw will be available on the 27th so a new thread would/should probably be made around then.

Top Bottom