• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TERA News, Information, & Beta Thread

kiryogi

Banned
I figured it was the mod files that was giving me that source file corrupted deal. I nuked my entire Tera installation since I didn't back up the replaced files the first time. XD

cilonen

Yes, it's very accessible. From the steamlined maps for quests to the initial combat. The enemies (almost to a fault) as far as my beta experience was concerned.

Excellent, thanks. I'm close to biting; I'm up for PvE rather than PvP. Going to go explore Unknown Soldier's enjin site.

Type2

I still have an unanswered question about this client download, once ive installed it and opened the client it just keeps opening and closing with 1mb patches. its been at it for about 2 days now and still isnt finished. Is this normal?
EDIT: reinstalled everything and now its doing a normal download, should have it in 2 hours.

Is anyone in canada buying it and if so are you doing it through online/etc?

I just pre-ordered the Digital CE from En Masse's website. They don't charge tax and they're applying exchange rates that are relevant. If you switch the currency on the checkout screen the price reduces by 4 or 6 cents. If they eventually ship to Canada or a retailer picks up the Physical LCE, then you can just cancel through En Masse and grab the physical one.

Got all of this confirmed from their amazing Customer Service today. I'm not kidding, their CS is incredibly awesome and I hope it doesn't change from now until release.

I'm glad to see people are looking and liking the site. I'll start trying to populate the site with content when I get home from work tonight.

I don't know what's going to happen with the GAF guilds yet, especially in regard to PVP/PVE and EU/NA, but I signed up! My one suggestion right now would be to limit the forums to maybe 1-2 sections to keep it simple.

Got all of this confirmed from their amazing Customer Service today. I'm not kidding, their CS is incredibly awesome and I hope it doesn't change from now until release.

I have been hearing a lot of praise for their customer support and I completely agree. I sent a request in about the Physical CE on En Masse's site and they responded within 24 hours with a very thorough answer. They opened the message by congratulating me on hitting 22 in the beta and the overall tone of the message was very friendly and helpful. I was impressed.

So I got my beta code from Amazon, but I've heard conflicting reports on whether or not IGN codes are good for all the betas or just the first one. Does anyone know for sure if IGN codes can play in the other betas? If I can then I'd like to give my beta code to a friend who wants to try out the game.

Type2

Should I pre-order this? Better than Rift? I really want to play, pre-ordering gives beta code? Sorry for not googling prior to post :)

preordering at most major retailers will give you a code or even directly from en masse.
the op is super helpful with closed beta schedules and more.

So I got my beta code from Amazon, but I've heard conflicting reports on whether or not IGN codes are good for all the betas or just the first one. Does anyone know for sure if IGN codes can play in the other betas? If I can then I'd like to give my beta code to a friend who wants to try out the game.

Some people are still under the impression that they will get access, but I don't think this has changed:

@romblet said:
@TERAonline i got the beta key and a few other neat gifts from the IGN Prime membership. is IGN Prime beta key all access?

@TERAonline said:
@romblet No, the IGN Prime access is only for the first closed beta test.

vivin

Just upgraded to the Collectors edition. Need to wait until my monthly cap changes to download the new 7gig patch T^T

Should I pre-order this? Better than Rift? I really want to play, pre-ordering gives beta code? Sorry for not googling prior to post :)

I played in the Rift beta and was consistently amazed by how terrible everything about that game was. Everything. Tera is pretty much the opposite of Rift in every way in the sense that (almost) everything about it is really good.

Well it seems something good might come out of those Bas Rutten ads after all. No thanks to EME though.

BDUiUGSL

L7XZYY2U

Jinko

I see the EU client has another big patch what are they adding, I thought the EU client already had the HD textures.

Personally I would say no.

I played in the Rift beta and was consistently amazed by how terrible everything about that game was. Everything. Tera is pretty much the opposite of Rift in every way in the sense that (almost) everything about it is really good.

Jinko said:
Personally I would say no.

I'll admit the bright colors, sexy characters, and sword action animations are the main things attracting me to it.

I guess I'll wait until it gets closer to launch, I REALLY need a new mmo to play however.

Mupod

Quick question - when a crystal says "4.5% additional damage to bosses" does this just mean boss monsters, or does it apply to anything with a skull by its name like BAMs out in the world?

Rinoa

I just pre-ordered the Digital CE from En Masse's website. They don't charge tax and they're applying exchange rates that are relevant. If you switch the currency on the checkout screen the price reduces by 4 or 6 cents. If they eventually ship to Canada or a retailer picks up the Physical LCE, then you can just cancel through En Masse and grab the physical one.

How do you get a beta key when you preorder? Do they email it?

Type2

How do you get a beta key when you preorder? Do they email it?

I believe you make an account beforehand and the key is automatically applied.

Taken from the site:

If you have preordered from En Masse the key is automatically applied to your account, and you do not need a key. When you sign into the TERA launcher you will automatically start to download the game.

Rinoa

I believe you make an account beforehand and the key is automatically applied.

Taken from the site:

If you have preordered from En Masse the key is automatically applied to your account, and you do not need a key. When you sign into the TERA launcher you will automatically start to download the game.

Hmm, I am guessing this will over-write the IGN key I used?

I'm also planning on a small writeup on the closed beta weekend mebbe tomorrow..

I'm also planning on a small writeup on the closed beta weekend mebbe tomorrow..

The IGN key was only for CBT1.. so it probably expired already.

Your account should be made active after you pre-order from enmasse directly. If you're getting a digital edition, you'll be charged right away for the purchase price.. but apparently it can be refunded if you change your mind.

Type2

I would assume so, if you run into any issues im sure customer support from en masse will take care of it. Ive had a positive experience along with some other gaffers.

what class(es) did you try out?

Rinoa

Your account should be made active after you pre-order from enmasse directly. If you're getting a digital edition, you'll be charged right away for the purchase price.. but apparently it can be refunded if you change your mind.

Cool. Thanks everyone for the help, there really isn't any information because of all the numerous tests.

I would assume so, if you run into any issues im sure customer support from en masse will take care of it. Ive had a positive experience along with some other gaffers.

what class(es) did you try out?

Tried out Sorcerer and Slayer, think those will be my mains since I've always liked the style of battle.. kinda like BLM and DRK. Very squishy, high damage, slow attacks, big burst dmg in engame.

Type2

Cool. Thanks everyone for the help, there really isn't any information because of all the numerous tests.

Tried out Sorcerer and Slayer, think those will be my mains since I've always liked the style of battle.. kinda like BLM and DRK. Very squishy, high damage, slow attacks, big burst dmg in engame.

Coming from wow my main was a warlock. Then I had a disc priest and blood dk as alts. I tend to play casters is just about every rpg imaginable so im thinking about going melee by first time around.

Im extremely curious about healing in this game since you dont really target your group for most spells it seems frantic and ensures youll always feel involved. Chasing players around dropping orbs and healing circles based on your predictions(or communication if you arent pugging). I'd like to see what others think especially the kterra players. It looks significantly more fun than playing wackamole with your raid frames.

Im going to start off with a warrior and/or priest.

I don't know what's going to happen with the GAF guilds yet, especially in regard to PVP/PVE and EU/NA, but I signed up! My one suggestion right now would be to limit the forums to maybe 1-2 sections to keep it simple.

I simplified the forums by turning things that didn't need forums into sub-forums. I'm not sure if this counts as really simplifying them or not, I'm probably cheating by doing that. I know you're making the OT and might not want to be messing with the site but if you're interested in site admin stuff too I can make you (or anybody who interested) into an Administrator who wants to work on the site. The site is for everybody and so anybody who wants to contribute will definitely be allowed to!

One of the things I think the site will be useful for is managing the rosters of NA/EU Tera-Gaffers and who is where. Enjin has this cool feature where you can put your Characters associated with Users onto Teams, which will be pefect for organizing. Right now I don't have the site prompting for people to enter their character names in when joining but come Open Beta people should be associating their character names with their Enjin accounts so we can start putting them into Teams based on NA/EU and server. Then simply by looking at the Members page you can see who is who in game and on what server. I'll work on some of that back-end stuff closer to launch so people can sort themselves and Tag themselves as well.

As for PvP vs. PvE, I'm looking forward to CB2 and the first PvP servers and seeing what PvP will be like in this game. Ideally it would be best if all of Tera-GAF rolled on a single server instead of dividing ourselves between PvE and PvP servers because let's face it, there just aren't very many of us (especially compared to WoW-GAF and TOR-GAF) and dividing ourselves will significantly reduce our effective numbers.

Feep

Banned
This article is pretty old now, but it's a good read.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/0...mo-combat-sucks-and-how-bioware-couldve-made/

I guess Bas Rutten writes for Massively or something.
The author of this article has never designed a game. I guarantee it.

He never *really* offers an alternative, just tosses out nebulous concept like "you can use stealth"! Okay, but how would that work? A third-person perspective and camera controls...absolutely necessary additions...make sneaking up on someone difficult. Lag issues make it nearly impossible to work mechanically. And generally, no-limits-PvP is a special scenario in most MMOs...PvP generally requires specific entrance into a battleground, which would alert all players to be on their guard.

The bigger issue, though, is that this system offers no place for advancement. Players love to feel as though they're growing stronger, and while it may be a bit lazy, the easiest way to do that is to advance them numerically with traditional RPG mechanics. What's the point for the player, if no matter how strong he gets, he can be taken out by some trolling Level 1 asshole? And if that one "sneaky" hit doesn't kill the veteran player, how could he hope to win the rest of the battle?

"Dice rolls" isn't a combat system. They're a numerical way of representing combat in a way that generally isn't possible anywhere but real life. They reflect the randomness of a system, and aren't evil in and of themselves.

That said, yeah, MMO combat generally sucks. = D The trick is to introduce a measure of twitch-gaming skill *into* the numbers, giving talented players an additional edge. Network and bandwidth limitations do make this difficult, but games like TERA and Guild Wars 2 are making progress.

Type2

I simplified the forums by turning things that didn't need forums into sub-forums. I'm not sure if this counts as really simplifying them or not, I'm probably cheating by doing that. I know you're making the OT and might not want to be messing with the site but if you're interested in site admin stuff too I can make you (or anybody who interested) into an Administrator who wants to work on the site. The site is for everybody and so anybody who wants to contribute will definitely be allowed to!

One of the things I think the site will be useful for is managing the rosters of NA/EU Tera-Gaffers and who is where. Enjin has this cool feature where you can put your Characters associated with Users onto Teams, which will be pefect for organizing. Right now I don't have the site prompting for people to enter their character names in when joining but come Open Beta people should be associating their character names with their Enjin accounts so we can start putting them into Teams based on NA/EU and server. Then simply by looking at the Members page you can see who is who in game and on what server. I'll work on some of that back-end stuff closer to launch so people can sort themselves and Tag themselves as well.

As for PvP vs. PvE, I'm looking forward to CB2 and the first PvP servers and seeing what PvP will be like in this game. Ideally it would be best if all of Tera-GAF rolled on a single server instead of dividing ourselves between PvE and PvP servers because let's face it, there just aren't very many of us (especially compared to WoW-GAF and TOR-GAF) and dividing ourselves will significantly reduce our effective numbers.
I know id be down with whatever server type you guys decide on but I do prefer pvp. But I can live with pve since I know im gonna be much more of a casual player than I was in past mmos. Between work,school and an indy startup game...an mmo's time will be limited. Im down to tank or heal anytime im available though.
Also, i hope that pvp server wont be a mess of people excited to troll with pvp for cb2. That tends to happen in betas =/

Well, okay. So the way Teams and Tags works is a bit more limited than I thought. All permissions are connected to other permissions, I can't give people the ability to manage their own Tags and Teams without giving them global permissions to manage everybody's Tags and Teams. I can still tag everybody with something like NA or EU but I'm not sure how to make that obvious to everyone in the Members list.

edit: Okay, I've figured out how to display Tags in Member List. All members now have their Characters showing, so if you register a character you'll see it next to your name! And now I've added Tags called NA and EU, so you can see what region each person is in! Go me!

edit2: I think I have come up with a methodology for managing our guild Members list so it can be useful for everybody.
http://tera-gaf.enjin.com/forum/m/1...-to-manage-your-profile-so-we-find-each-other
Let me know what you guys think!

Mognet

@ 11% with 11 hours left.. I keep seeing "Reliable source serving corrupt data." but after a couple seconds it continues my dload. Nothing to worry about, right?

Just wanted to confirm this for anyone who still believed the IGN code might have magic powers and work for the rest of the beta. Once they announced the 7 gig patch, I tried logging in with my account that used the IGN code, was told my account had expire and it showed the IGN trial description. Pre-ordered from En Masse's website and could patch right away.

OTIX

So is there any particular reason why EU characters get wiped after OBT while NA don't? Frogster just hates us?

Call me a carebear, but I was browsing the PVP forums on the TERA NA and EU websites and it has made me take a step back and really consider my choice of server. The tone and behavior of the community was horrendous.

Negatives:
Unappealing community (testosterone filled player base full of honorless players with no disregard for others, and a large concentration of immature players with superiority complexes.)
Class Imbalance (most players will roll classes strong in PVP)
GAF guild would be heavily outnumbered (more important in a PVP environment)
Outlaw ability only has 60 second recast timer
No PVP penalties
No level restrictions (higher level killing lower levels)
Griefing/Trolling/Ganking
Highly stressful and competitive environment (don't mind the competition but don't need the stress)

The above is not meant to attack anyone who enjoys PVP and I'm sure there are plenty of good people who play on PVP servers. This is just the impression I am getting from the community surrounding this game and others with PVP.

Positives:
Anyone in the area can attack anyone flagged as an "Outlaw" without repercussions
Players have the ability to eliminate bots, botters, gold farmers, campers, and griefers
Guild VS Guild combat which is currently PVP Server exclusive (EME stated that it is a possibility for PVE if enough people want it and there is currently a huge thread about it on their forum)

PVP rules are subject to change and I'm still willing to give it a try in CBT2. I enjoy PVP but I don't think an "open" and penalty-free system is really for me. If enough of GAF rolls PVP, I may create an alt to play with everyone, but I think I'm going to stick with PVE.

Mognet

PVP rules are subject to change and I'm still willing to give it a try in CBT2. I enjoy PVP but I don't think an "open" and penalty-free system is really for me. If enough of GAF rolls PVP, I may create an alt to play with everyone, but I think I'm going to stick with PVE.

Pretty much how I feel.

erragal

That said, yeah, MMO combat generally sucks. = D The trick is to introduce a measure of twitch-gaming skill *into* the numbers, giving talented players an additional edge. Network and bandwidth limitations do make this difficult, but games like TERA and Guild Wars 2 are making progress.

I think you're doing a slight disservice by saying MMO combat generally sucks. For the most part high level hotkey-based MMO combat has huge amounts of twitch-gaming based skill in addition to situational awareness and understanding what your opponent is going to do and reacting appropriately. The problem is this sort of depth often requires a large mental time investment outside of the game which puts the casual player at a huge disadvantage.

Guild Wars won't really be any different in that regard. If you don't understand the meta game you will be at a huge disadvantage just like any other MMO.

Tera does have some interesting elements going for it as it tries to hybridize the hotkey-MMO and a more action oriented system; I'm interested to see how it compares to Age of Conan which did a fairly decent jon depending on what class you were playing (Bear Shaman is one of the better designed classes of any MMO). Certainly looking forward to trying out a Mystic when it releases; if they can pull off a free roaming healer/support class properly I will be very impressed.

Also: Dragon Nest still has the best MMO twitch combat system but suffers from unfortunately terrible content. DFO isn't half bad either with far worse balance problems.

I'm surprised you feel that MMO's when played at a high level lack advantages for more skilled players; what games have you played where you feel that is prevalent?

Is it really penalty-free? If so, I think that's a huge mistake. The MMO industry has learned time and again that players are unable to police themselves in any reasonable fashion.

Though I do have to say you're taking away too much from the forum. As with any forum, especially one for a specific game, you're going to get the vocal minority who want all the attention, so you'll find all of the testosterone pump ego junkies spouting off all of their magical plans to destroy everyone elses fun, but for every 1 of those PKs are 10 anti-PKs with as much hate for them as you.

Call me a carebear, but I was browsing the PVP forums on the TERA NA and EU websites and it has made me take a step back and really consider my choice of server. The tone and behavior of the community was horrendous.

Negatives:
Unappealing community (testosterone filled player base full of honorless players with no disregard for others, and a large concentration of immature players with superiority complexes.)
Class Imbalance (most players will roll classes strong in PVP)
GAF guild would be heavily outnumbered (more important in a PVP environment)
Outlaw ability only has 60 second recast timer
No PVP penalties
No level restrictions (higher level killing lower levels)
Griefing/Trolling/Ganking
Highly stressful and competitive environment (don't mind the competition but don't need the stress)

The above is not meant to attack anyone who enjoys PVP and I'm sure there are plenty of good people who play on PVP servers. This is just the impression I am getting from the community surrounding this game and others with PVP.

Positives:
Anyone in the area can attack anyone flagged as an "Outlaw" without repercussions
Players have the ability to eliminate bots, botters, gold farmers, campers, and griefers
Guild VS Guild combat which is currently PVP Server exclusive (EME stated that it is a possibility for PVE if enough people want it and there is currently a huge thread about it on their forum)

Did you ever play Aion? The community for that game was equally terrible, with the added bonus of the game being Faction vs. Faction so half of those people had to be your allies whether you liked it or not. When I played Aion I was with a huge Elyos guild (we had like 3 guilds all with the 100 members cap) and one of my favorite memories from that game was rifting into Asmodae with like 50 of us and just rampaging through the zone zerging everything we could see until we had at least a hundred of them chasing us around there until they finally killed us all after two hours just terrorizing their zone.

Yeah, it was funny then. I'm not sure I really want to play a game like Aion ever again.

Slacker

Is it really penalty-free? If so, I think that's a huge mistake. The MMO industry has learned time and again that players are unable to police themselves in any reasonable fashion.

There are pretty stiff penalties in kTERA, and I assume some will find their way into our version. There will be no penalties during CBT2 however.

Edit: here are the penalties in kTERA. When you PVPwn someone, you earn 10 infamy points:

1-100 Infamy:
Stamina goes down faster than normal.
You have a doubled chance to break crystals upon death. (Crystals are slotted buffs)
You are not allowed to use the Stamina Recovery NPC. (Stamina gives you a HP/MP bonus above 100%, and a HP/MP debuff below 25%

101-1000 Infamy:
Stamina goes down much faster than normal.
You have a tripled chance to break crystals upon death.
Attack is decreased by 50%
Defense is decreased by 50%
Movement Speed is decreased by 15%.
You are not allowed to use the Stamina Recovery NPC.
You are not allowed to use the Teleport NPC.
You are not allowed to use the Pegasus/Dragon NPC.

1001+ Infamy:
Stamina goes down much, much faster than normal.
You have a tripled chance to break crystals upon death.
Attack is decreased by 90%
Defense is decreased by 75%
Movement Speed is decreased by 30%.
You are not allowed to use the Stamina Recovery NPC.
You are not allowed to use the Teleport NPC.
You are not allowed to use the Pegasus/Dragon NPC.

Infamy goes down 1 point every 5 minutes. Also goes down 1 point for each solo kill of a normal or larger mob of even level or higher. Notice the debuffs. There is no infamy gain for killing an Outlaw.

We'll see what happens in the NA version eventually.

Chris Hager at EME posted that there will be no PVP penalties during CBT2. He personally prefers a more risk/reward oriented system but wants to try a penalty free rule set and see what the feedback is like from the community.

Did you ever play Aion? The community for that game was equally terrible, with the added bonus of the game being Faction vs. Faction so half of those people had to be your allies whether you liked it or not. When I played Aion I was with a huge Elyos guild (we had like 3 guilds all with the 100 members cap) and one of my favorite memories from that game was rifting into Asmodae with like 50 of us and just rampaging through the zone zerging everything we could see until we had at least a hundred of them chasing us around there until they finally killed us all after two hours just terrorizing their zone.

Yeah, it was funny then. I'm not sure I really want to play a game like Aion ever again.

Never played Aion but that doesn't sound good at all.

There are pretty stiff penalties in kTERA, and I assume some will find their way into our version. There will be no penalties during CBT2 however.

I like the penalty and debuff system in K-TERA but the majority opinion seems to be that the system is terrible, which is why they are setting up dedicated PVP servers and trying to revamp PVP for western audiences. I think one of the most hated things about the original K-TERA system was the count-down timer and method of initiating a PK, but I believe that has been eliminated.

Top Bottom