• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terraria Wii U Edition (featuring Nintendo 3DS) |OT| Does what Minecraftn't

TheMoon

terrariaotovjj0.jpg

Featuring: Nintendo 3DS version (pseudo OT for that here)

Originally Developed by: Re-Logic
Ported to Wii U by: Engine Software
Published by: 505 Games
eShop Release Dates: June 9, 2016 (EU) / June 10, 2016 (AU) / June 16, 2016 (NA)
Retail Release Dates: June 24, 2016 (EU) / June 23, 2016 (AU) / June 28, 2016 (NA)
Genre: 2D Action/Crafting/Exploration/RPG/Co-op
Multiplayer: Yes, 4-player local co-op / 8-player online co-op
Mix Local & Online Players: Yes
Off-TV Play: Yes
Supported controllers: Wii U GamePad, Wii U Pro Controller, Wii Remote+Nunchuk
Miiverse Integration: Yes (accomplishment sharing)
Languages: English, German, French, Spanish, Italian
eShop download file size: 214.47 MB (+50MB for the day-1 patch)
eShop Price: €19,99 / £17.99 / AU$26.00 / US$29.99
Retail Price: €24,99 / £19.99 / US$29.99

terrariainfoc1p21.png

First off, here's some gameplay that also shows the GamePad in the bottom left corner.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRugFgQzgog

The touch screen implementation is naturally the best thing about both the 3DS and Wii U versions of Terraria. Both let you build in a grid far larger than your immediate surroundings like the other versions. Illustrated in this image:
Anywhere in that grid you see there, you can dig or put a block.

Now some quickies:

Do the Wii U and 3DS versions offer a crossbuy/discount deal?
- No.​

What about cross-play?
- No, since they're different versions. The 3DS version has a smaller world size and thus they're not compatible. Nevermind that the 3DS version does not have online multiplayer support.​

So Wii U has 8 player online, can I mix multiple local with online players?
- Yes! You could, for example, do four local players together with four additional players online.​

What version is the Wii U release up to?
- The other Terraria versions just got an update in June. This content will come to the Wii U version shortly after launch to bring it in line with the other versions.​

Any Nintendo-exclusive stuff like in Minecraft?
- No, that's the one part where Minecraft is ahead of the curve. However, the Nintendo version has some minor little Easter Eggs:
The Zapinator is a Nintendo-exclusive weapon based on the NES Zapper.
Zapinator.png

Similarly, the Hero's Clothes and the Plumber's Outfit use their original PC-version colors which resemble Link's tunic and Mario's classic look. In the other console/mobile versions, the colors have been modified to not look similar to the Nintendo characters.
Hero%27s_clothes.png
Plumber%27s_clothes.png

What's with the Minecraft dig in the title?
- Reference to the fact that Minecraft on Wii U doesn't use the GamePad in any of the numerous cool ways it could (aside from Off-TV Play) and Terraria does.​

Control options (thanks jariw):
I took some screenshots of the button setups for the various controllers in Terraria/Wii U. Note that these setups don't describe the additional Gamepad screen UI, or the alternate button setups.

It's also worth noting that the Wii Remote+Nunchuck button setup only provides basic functionality.

@TheMoon, feel free to use these for the OT.

Gamepad buttons:
EKj9rI9.jpg

Wii U Pro Controller buttons:
wZG62Uq.jpg

Wii Remote+Nunchuck buttons. The Nunchuck stick is "Move", not "Aim".
fIaBE4s.jpg

Official UK Website: http://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Wii-U/Terraria-1038735.html
Official US Website: http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/terraria-wii-u
Multiplatform Terraria Wiki: http://terraria.gamepedia.com/Terraria_Wiki
Official Forums Wii U Launch Thread: http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/wii-u-digital-launch-and-console-update.44858/
Official FAQ for the 3DS version of the game: http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/terraria-for-nintendo-3ds-is-here.37508/

~~~ OP will be updated as necessary ~~~
requests welcome

I haven't played this on Nintendo platforms but I wholeheartedly recommend it. It's a hell of a whole lot better than Minecraft for those looking for actual content to do.

Grinchy

Banned
This seems like it'll be the "definitive version" based on being able to build with a stylus. That is just too cool. I just can't see myself buying it a 4th time after all the hours I've put in already on PC, Vita, and PS4.

edit- and I didn't even think about inventory management! That is the biggest pain in the ass in the console versions, but the gamepad will make it so much better

GhostBed

Sooo excited for this. Still haven't ever tried Terraria but when I heard about this version, I knew it would pay to wait. Gamepad integration looks soooo goooooood

@MUWANdo

Banned
Before release, they said you'd be able to play local multiplayer on the Wii U version with one player on the TV and one player on the gamepad screen. Is that true?

TheMoon

Before release, they said you'd be able to play local multiplayer on the Wii U version with one player on the TV and one player on the gamepad screen. Is that true?

waiting for the physical copy, so no idea if it's in the final build but I don't see why it wouldn't.

A word of warning for those considering the 3DS version, it is very very buggy at the minute. They released a patch which fixed some stuff, but broke local multiplayer. I think another one is due for the end of the month but until then might be wise to hold off..

It also runs relatively poorly on the 'old' 3DS (new 3DS version has much better performance).
But to focus on the positive, the touch screen features are very nice. You can use inventory of course, but also switch to a zoomed in grid mode for building.

Malakai

I understand the developer have to make money; however, it is hard to buy this game when I know it will cost like $3.00 during the summer Steam sale and their is no cross by discount with though who brought it for the 3DS (like I did).

jariw

I can't find any such option in the game, or any mentioning of such a feature in the online documentation.

However, the Wii U version is really a FANTASTIC port! I have played quite a few hours now (mainly split screen play with the kids) and the port is much better of Minecraft on the Wii U. Very smooth gameplay and the Gamepad integration is pretty much perfect.

The best Gamepad feature IMO is that you get a zoomed-in version on the gamepad while the bigger picture is on the main screen. For this game it make so much sense! But the Gamepad support is really packed with many many other great features as well.

Minecraft of course have the Mario skins/texture pack/world which are great, but the Terraria developers made a lot bigger effort in making an really good Wii U core game.

jariw

My kids are going to love this! Three player co-op local!

Tip, if you're playing 3 or 4 people split screen: The non-Gamepad players might want to zoom in, since the default graphics might look a bit too small otherwise. Pause the game with + and use ZR/ZL to zoom the player's view.

Irobot82

Tip, if you're playing 3 or 4 people split screen: The non-Gamepad players might want to zoom in, since the default graphics might look a bit too small otherwise. Pause the game with + and use ZR/ZL to zoom the player's view.

Thanks for the tip! My kids are out visiting family over the summer break so I'll have this as a surprise when they get back.

PetrCobra

Waited for the Wii U version to come out, never played Terraria before. It's pretty fantastic, too bad the framerate is often quite dodgy (playing in the smallest world size, no idea if it's going to be even worse in bigger worlds, hopefully not). I actually got sick with headaches when I played the game for the first time and I think the framerate might have contributed to that.

I also hoped that I'd be able to use Gamepad features while playing with Pro controller, but the screen just turned off so I use the Gamepad because the touch functionality is too good.

Haven't played any multiplayer, not sure if I will.

Vena

I may actually pick up Terraria on the N3DS, I have yet to play this game and getting it on the go may help alleviate the usual problems of time.

Sarcasm

As I have 200+ hours of this on PC. Wondering if trying to pick it up for my N3DS XL (with no chance in hell having another person to play with) is worth it..

I have a vita with physical MC I picked up in JP for freaking cheap which was fine for most part.

Mudo

Reporting in. I bought the Wii-U version and already have PC and PS4 (played maybe 15 hours total on those) and I've played 10 hours of this in 2 days wow. Issues: game lags some walking on the surface but not all the time, and sometimes when i hit the L or R button to switch hot bar items it doesn't register. died a couple times to that! However, the Gamepad functionality makes this my favorite version of the game. a large transparent grid appears over you when standing still and all you do is tap anywhere in the grid to mine etc. it's a large area and makes it much easier to get stuff done. Inventory management is also much better now thank GOD. No other impressions it's Terraria, it's a great game with a wonderful Gamepad implementation.

@MUWANdo

Banned
The devs have been proactive about patching the 3DS version so I'm confident they'll be able to fix whatever issues people are having with the Wii U version.

As for whether the 3DS version is getting, it should be noted that the 3DS version is based on the mobile version, not the console version, so the worlds are very small. It also runs at 60FPS on New 3DS and 30FPS on the original 3DS, so bear that in mind.

jariw

The devs have been proactive about patching the 3DS version so I'm confident they'll be able to fix whatever issues people are having with the Wii U version.

It's great to hear that it's a company that supports Terraria post-release.

In all fairness, the issues with the Terraria/Wii U port are on a much lower scale than the issues in Minecraft/Wii U. In the current Minecraft build for example, there is a huge lag every time another local player brings up the inventory on screen.

Apart from the Gamepad integration of the Wii U version, I'm amazed by the depth of this game. Even though I have the Steam version since before, I haven't played it that much before. The Wii U version is the first that we have played thouroghly. In the "Small" world that we are currently discovering, we have visited Hell, found an island in the sky, spent many many hours on mining/crafting, improving stats, fighting enemies and bosses. And still it feels like we're just starting to explore the world.

Please tell me it has touch functions unlike Minecraft...
*glances at pictures*
Thank cripes, my biggest gripe in Terraria console versions is lack of touch screen support. Gonna pick this baby up!

eShop price is $29.99 in NA (since it says TBA).
Thanks for that. I am gonna just wait for retail with Amazon Prime. I think $25 is the price I am willing to pay.

jariw

I took some screenshots of the button setups for the various controllers in Terraria/Wii U. Note that these setups don't describe the additional Gamepad screen UI, or the alternate button setups.

It's also worth noting that the Wii Remote+Nunchuck button setup only provides basic functionality.

Gamepad buttons:

Wii Remote+Nunchuck buttons. The Nunchuck stick is "Move", not "Aim".

TheMoon

Gamepad buttons:
EKj9rI9.jpg

wZG62Uq.jpg

Wii Remote+Nunchuck buttons. The Nunchuck stick is "Move", not "Aim".[
fIaBE4s.jpg

done, thanks!

TheMoon

massive post about the "catch up" update for the Wii U version, which will also be its last, sadly.

also contains news about the next update for the 3DS version which, among other things, brings larger worlds to New3DS owners.

http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/wii-u-update-and-3ds-news.48755/

Good day Terrarians,

Hot on the heels of the main console announcement, we’re pleased today to be able to share information on the future of Terraria on Nintendo. First up, the ‘catch-up’ patch for Wii U Terraria goes live TOMORROW, Friday September 2. As well as clearing up the handful of issues from the launch of that version, the patch also brings Wii U into line with the other consoles in terms of content. You’ll get the Stylist, and a load of new mechanic fixes and items. A full list is in the spoiler here, so this post doesn’t sprawl to ridiculous lengths:

Code:
New NPC: Stylist

New Mechanics:

Wearable Accessories
    Chest Naming
    Infinite Wiring
    Ability to change Hair Style in-game
    Ability to change your default clothing at a dresser
    Vanity Wings (dyable)
    Dyeable accesories
    Ability to place Switches and levers on a wall
    Quick Stack
    Restock
    Wall Auto-Fill

Mechanics changes:

Reintroduce Re-Spawn timer
    Reintroduce Coin Gun (loot – pirate invasion)
    Overwrite console auto-dig code with PC auto-dig code

Balance changes

Reduce ore sparkles brightness
    Don't show enemies names when they are in darkness.
    Only autoplace 1 torch per press
    Heart crystal plays shatter sounds every hit, instead of when it breaks
    Remember hits for tiles

Art changes

Update splash screen
    Fix minion sacrificing code (bug: The Tempest Staff fails to summon Sharknado if another minion is already present.)

Additional new items:

Firefly in a Bottle
    Lightning Bug in a Bottle
    Mallard Duck Cage
    Monarch Butterfly Jar
    Purple Emperor Butterfly Jar
    RedAdmiralButterflyJar
    Ulysses Butterfly Jar
    Sulphur Butterfly Jar
    Tree Nymph Butterfly Jar
    Zebra Swallowtail Butterfly Jar
    Julia Butterfly Jar
    Spectre Mask
    Diamond Ring
    Crimson Cloak
    Mysterious Cape
    Red Cape
    Winter Cape
    Bee Headgear
    Bee Breastplate
    Bee Greaves
    Hornet Staff
    Imp Staff
    Queen Spider Staff
    Spider Mask
    Spider Breastplate
    Spider Greaves
    Slimy Saddle
    Bee Wax
    Sail
    Honeyed Goggles
    Optic Staff
    Spider Staff
    Pirate Staff
    Slime Hook
    Sticky Grenade
    Molotov Cocktail
    Spider Fang
    Slime Gun
    Seashell
    Starfish
    Weapon Rack
    Fireworks Box
    Firework Fountain
    Music Box: Pumpkin Moon
    Music Box: Alt Underground
    Music Box: Frost Moon
    Life Hair Dye
    Mana Hair Dye
    Depth Hair Dye
    Money Hair Dye
    Time Hair Dye
    Team Hair Dye
    Biome Hair Dye
    Party Hair Dye
    Rainbow Hair Dye
    Speed Hair Dye
    Hair Dye Remover
    Ducky Wallpaper
    Confetti Block
    Confetti Wall
    Confetti Block Black
    Confetti Wall Black
    Living Fire Block
    Music Box: Underground Crimson

This update is intended to draw a line under Terraria on Wii U as it did with the other platforms - so we are afraid that no further updates for Wii U will be possible due to technical limitations. Bear in mind that you now have the same great content in two hits. There were more updates on the other platforms simply because they were released earlier. The content is the same. The logic for being unable to further update Wii U is, regrettably, the same as the ‘old gen’ machines – though the Wii U does admittedly have more resources than the 360/PS3, it is still a fraction as capable as PS4 and Xbox One, and we need all their available horsepower to take Terraria where we want to go next. This version will still be able to play online, so you can continue to enjoy it as long as you’re gaming on the Wii U platform. By the time the next update rolls out on PS4/Xbox One we’ll be very close to the launch of NX… But let’s not get ahead of ourselves.

What about the 3DS version?

Well, CodeGlue are hard at work on a content update to be released later this year. We’ve listened to your concerns about the stability, and we’re trying an entirely new approach to try and get to the bottom of why some of you are troubled by crashes and others have enjoyed smooth sailing since launch. We’re confident that the update will take care of any issues there. We’ve also been listening to your requests, and are working through a list of fixes. For example:

 Now to able to deactivate pets

 Chain gun accuracy fixed

 Ice Queen no longer blocks everything else from spawning

 Items from Angler are fixed

 Orb projectiles sped up

 Acorns don’t just grow on grass

 Flowers in pots grow to full maturity

 Tempest staff bugs fixed

Those are all bugs called out on this forum, and there’s a load more still to come, along with quality of life fixes from Re-Logic and 505. We’re looking at getting the ability to hammer platforms into stairs, and a few other treats. Bear in mind 3DS was only ever going to be 1.2 plus a few extras, so we’re pushing the content as far as we can on the old 3DS model. Interesting that we’ve mentioned the old model there. Almost as if there was a reason to separate that from the New 3DS… Oh yes, now I remember: we’re bringing larger worlds to the New 3DS console!

We’ve been listening to your requests on here, and are delighted to be able to confirm that with this new update you’ll have the option to start a larger world game if you have the newer machine. The size of that world is likely to be the same as the small world on the PC version. Not only will this give you a bigger canvas for your adventure, it will also help us eliminate the occasional worldgen issues that can happen when you try to squash all of the parts of a Terraria world into a smaller space. The enhanced specifications of New 3DS makes this possible! Do note that players will not then be able to invite original 3DS gamers into these larger worlds. We didn’t take the decision to offer split content between original and New 3DS lightly, but we’ve maxed out the older unit and we felt like there was still more to give to Nintendo handheld gamers. All 3DS units will be eligible for the update, but only New 3DS players will see the benefit of larger worlds.

We’ll announce a release date for the 3DS update in due course.

Thanks as always for your support and feedback :)

Top Bottom