• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terror attack kills 12 at Paris newspaper - 4 wounded, gunmen identified

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arksy

I know there are anti-islam Protests by far right people, but are there protests by regular muslims against these kinds of nutheads? I mean, I'm sure there are, you just don't hear about them as much. I think those kinds of Protests would bridge people together.

Yes there are. Heaps. There's dozens of fatwas against people from the IS. Countless Imams from the UK urge young Muslims to join the Defence Force, Police Force, etc. It gets ZERO media attention, which is really unfortunate.

itsgreen

Well its stuff like this. Not this exact event.

And also there is support within the Muslim community for stuff like this, people who say "Well you deserve to die because you made fun of the Prophet". And they're a few more than the 0.0001%

11th death has been reported.

coleco

B6viYn6IYAAul73.jpg

Alx

Why? As horrendous as this is, it's still only carried out by a few crazy individuals that happen to belong to a group that number in the millions.

Don't lose perspective.

Yeah it's not like those things happen every week here... I think it's the first real extremist attack in France since the Merah incidents in 2012.

Evo X

Oh man, this is terrible to hear. All those innocent people.... over a fucking cartoon.

I can't process this right now.

I know there are anti-islam Protests by far right people, but are there protests by regular muslims against these kinds of nutheads? I mean, I'm sure there are, you just don't hear about them as much. I think those kinds of Protests would bridge people together.

The muslim institutions in Europe are too busy protesting against protestors instead of distancing themselves from the radical Islamists. Which in turn just draws more people to the right wing.

Fuck. Keep cool, FrenchGAF.

Another DGSI failure after Merah. At least with him they had the excuse that he was self-radicalised and a lone wolf, using a pistol. Now we're dealing with an organised pair using heavy weaponry. There's bound to be fallout in the intelligence services after this.

Pacbois

Guttted, terrified, this is the worst.

Also please refrain from speculations on the shooters and their motives. There is already a lot of disgusting islamophobia going on Twitter. Even if those assholes justified their disgusting attack on their faith, it's an extremly small minority and not representative of almost all of France's muslims.

Joni

Yeah it's not like those things happen every week here... I think it's the first real extremist attack in France since the Merah incidents in 2012.
If you don't count some other incidents around the latest Israeli war.
The return of any IS members might also cause extra problems the coming years.

Lime

Happens all the time and frankly I don't get why Muslims have to go out and distance themselves from this. We don't expect or require Christians to distance themselves when Christian murderers commit atrocities.

Why would regular muslims have to lower themselves to this? They're not responsible for those attacks and it's kinda insulting to ask for them to openly condemn them - as if there was a doubt they're against terrorism

Why? As horrendous as this is, it's still only carried out by a few crazy individuals that happen to belong to a group that number in the millions.

Don't lose perspective.

I think terrorist sympathizers breed active terrorists. How many of them have convinced these few to commit such acts?
Both types of people are awful and dont belong on the planet, let alone in a civilized society.

Guy.brush

So when hundreds of children get slaughtered cause they happened to be schooled and educated on the premises of the Pakistani military there is deafening silence, but when the prophet is depicted in a satirical cartoon we get people in the streets protesting and then armed barbarians murdering the newspaper staff years later.
Man religion...
Sometimes I think most of the alienation between modern Western and Islamic culture comes from the simple fact that people can't accept that some still "believe" and do it with such feverish, nightmarish and blind dedication.

orioto

Good Art™
The muslim institutions in Europe are too busy protesting against protestors instead of distancing themselves from the radical Islamists. Which in turn just draws more people to the right wing.

This unfortunately.
Muslims will have to clearly say massively fuck you to terrorism at some point cause this thing isn't going to evolve well.

It's like they think "hey that's bullshit, we have nothing to do with that and it's insulting to ask us to say it, cause this is obvious". But they have to realize they can't live independently from this worldwide problem..

Fuck. Keep cool, FrenchGAF.

Another DGSI failure after Merah. At least with him they had the excuse that he was self-radicalised and a lone wolf, using a pistol. Now we're dealing with an organised pair using heavy weaponry. There's bound to be fallout in the intelligence services after this.

Technically, they're called DCRI now.

Majine

Banned
Happens all the time and frankly I don't get why Muslims have to go out and distance themselves from this. We don't expect or require Christians to distance themselves when Christian murderers commit atrocities.
Nobody who isn't affiliated with these incidents should feel pressure to express themselves about it, but I think it would help align people against the real enemy.

MormaPope

Banned

You know why, you just don't agree with it. A lot of people don't agree with the reason why.

Also, I haven't heard of any Christianity driven killings in the past few years, or decade. Mass shootings in the United States have entirely different stigmas brewing.

Press conference by president Hollande. Definitely a terrorist attack.

Can we keep the political debate to a minimum while this plays out in real time? It was embarasssing and distracting in the Sydney Siege thread too.

Technically, they're called DCRI now.

Oops, should have remembered that.

scitek

Guttted, terrified, this is the worst.

Also please refrain from speculations on the shooters and their motives. There is already a lot of disgusting islamophobia going on Twitter. Even if those assholes justified their disgusting attack on their faith, it's an extremly small minority and not representative of almost all of France's muslims.

We're just reading the news, dude.

The whole quarter is reportedly on lockdown, now.

Edit:

11.54 French media offices, including Le Monde, have been placed under police protection.

11.53 Luc Poignant, a police official, tells BFM TV:
It's carnage.

11.47 The Telegraph's Henry Samuel reports:
The attackers reportedly escaped in a black Citreon DS, wounding a policemen, then knocking over and wounding "several" pedestrians. They moved towards the 19th arrondissment before requisitioning another vehicle and leaving central Paris via the Porte de Pantin metro station.

Bonn1eGreer Bonnie Greer
"They walked calmly in, and up the stairs. 10 dead. It was commando style. A real massacre." via @LCI #CharlieHebdo #FreedomOfSpeech

MormaPope

Banned
What are you insinuating, exactly?

That its obvious why some people that are Muslim strive to defend their own perspective, which doesn't cause harm, which doesn't ask that others kill or maim, they want to keep practicing their religion without unneeded scorn.

This unfortunately.
Muslims will have to clearly say massively fuck you to terrorism at some point cause this thing isn't going to evolve well.

It's like they think "hey that's bullshit, we have nothing to do with that and it's insulting to ask us to say it, cause this is obvious". But they have to realize they can't live independently from this worldwide problem..

It's like people are just ignoring this post.

Is there some kind of leader in Islam like the Pope for Christianity? If so, radicals Islamists should just be officially excommunicated to show that their crimes aren't backed by their interpretation of the Koran and they will not have their virgins in paradise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom