• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terror attack kills 12 at Paris newspaper - 4 wounded, gunmen identified

Status
Not open for further replies.

That's one of ISIS' more ambitious goals.

Thanks for the link there, really appreciated. But that mostly seems to say that they believe there is a threat, not that an actual threat was made. It also says it was unsubstantiated in the article itself.

Whatever the case, I'll buy into the idea that if they could attack during that pilgrimage with all those people there, they probably would.

FartOfWar

Banned
But wouldn't some argue that criticizing someones ideology is a personal attack?

Sure some would, but more than some are imbeciles. We're all entitled to believe whatever absurdities we choose, but that doesn't exclude those absurd beliefs from criticism. In the US, we have members of congress who think the world is six thousand years old, for instance. Who is concerned that "someone" would criticize such demonstrable stupidity?

Kathian

Banned
I guess what I don't understand is - do Muslims believe most non believers don't think Mohammed was either deluded or a liar? I mean see Christ as gods son I'd pretty blasphemous if you ask me.

Heck even if he was telling the truth - I don't support any vindictive power God or otherwise.

So why a cartoon I'd the ultimate insult I have no idea.

The vileness of this attack hardly needs to be stated, but it's a shame that the people responsible for this garbage will probably go down in history as saintly free speech martyrs.

sClgywt.jpg

I guess what I don't understand is - do Muslims believe most non believers don't think Mohammed was either deluded or a liar? I mean see Christ as gods son I'd pretty blasphemous if you ask me.

Heck even if he was telling the truth - I don't support any vindictive power God or otherwise.

it's not a cartoon. it's just a drawing of mohammed. see the largescale protest across the muslim world when someone posted a caricature of mohammed

Quran (8:12) - "I will cast terror into the hearts of those who disbelieve. Therefore strike off their heads and strike off every fingertip of them" No reasonable person would interpret this to mean a spiritual struggle.

One would reasonably assume this right here is where all the headcutting is comign from. Of course, any reasonable human being (religious or not) would not cut off other people's head and fingers, but the book says it itself.

You do know this was sent down only for the instructions when battling Quraish in the war of badr in the battlefield and not generally didn't you. Tell me you knew that please

https://www.alislam.org/quran/tafseer/?page=874&region=E1&CR=EN,E2&CR=EN,E2

how's he trying to throw moderates under the bus?

What do the moderates adhere to religiously again ?

lefantome

The vileness of this attack hardly needs to be stated, but it's a shame that the people responsible for this garbage will probably go down in history as saintly free speech martyrs.

They are. Literally.

Free speech is free speech whether you like what it's said or not.

Mononoke

Banned
Isn't he just saying that Muslims in general shouldn't feel they should apologise for something they haven't done? What's wrong with that?

He added that part about France wanting an excuse to intervene in Libya. Kind of strange thing to attach to this tragedy?

sClgywt.jpg

"free speech" is not something that should be switched off when you don't agree with what is said.

Is it good taste ? Of course not. But you aren't forced to agree with them or even read that garbage. That the point.

kmax

Depicting or let alone ridiculing the Islamic prophet is blasphemous in Islam.. With that said, a tiny few actually take it to the extreme to censor freedom of speech and send a message to everyone that dares to make fun of their beliefs.

It really is ridiculous, but we have to remember that these are not rational people, and they are ready to slay anyone who dares to utter the wrong words. They're lunatics.

CrunchyB

Isn't he just saying that Muslims in general shouldn't feel they should apologise for something they haven't done? What's wrong with that?

i don't think there's anything wrong with that. no one should have to apologize for the actions of another.

however, what he said about france needing to invade libya and trying to go full on persecution complex is where the wrong is

typist

Want to reform immigration to weed out religious extremist pschos? Institute a test that identifies them. Shouldn't be hard. Just show people the 'offensive' cartoon, maybe say something like 'fuck this deity' or 'prophet xyz was a moron.' If potential immigrants can hack it and agree the tester has the right to freedom of speech, awesome, they pass. If they get angry or try to escalate the situation, the tester can see how far they'll go. Provoke them more. If they start losing control of themselves or making threats or whatever, sorry, they fail. Does anyone think something like this would work? Or is offending people's sensitivities too controversial?

Guy.brush

Quran (8:12) - "I will cast terror into the hearts of those who disbelieve. Therefore strike off their heads and strike off every fingertip of them" No reasonable person would interpret this to mean a spiritual struggle.

One would reasonably assume this right here is where all the headcutting is comign from. Of course, any reasonable human being (religious or not) would not cut off other people's head and fingers, but the book says it itself.

You do know this was sent down only for the instructions when battling Quraish in the war of badr in the battlefield and not generally didn't you. Tell me you knew that please

That feels like the definition of dangerous source material if you need a professional scholar of said text to interprete it right with right being whatever the scholar chooses to be right.

sClgywt.jpg

I don't understand the context for the picture on the left but I don't see an issue with the one on the right.

There was a Muslim in this thread who apologized and everyone said don't. Not sure why tweet was bad, but I'm stuck in traffic and can't read all of his tweets. Did he add to that?

He added that part about France wanting an excuse to intervene in Libya. Kind of strange thing to attach to this tragedy?
Yeah that dumb.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain

Not that is not what he is saying. He is a delusional prick. Read the link

"“It seems that France wants to invade Libya with the excuse of 'fighting terrorism' after it occupied Mali under the same excuse and this operation is a suitable pretext to kill Muslims.""

It's just blatant insanity

FartOfWar

Banned
What does wage war mean?

And why is it talking specifically about a specific land?

EDIT: I appreciate you posting that btw. I'm just trying to understand how that text, is instructions to followers to MURDER someone for depicting the prophet. Saying it's an obligation. That text feels so vague, I'm not sure what it's even talking about.

Yeah my bad. He did update his post, and say he didn't mean to say NOTHING.

Now you're starting to see why asserting that so and so isn't legitimate Islam or Christianity or any other religious doctrine is inane. Religious belief (at least among Jews, Christians, and Muslims) sanctifies texts. All language is open to interpretation and only assumes meaning after an interpretive act in its audience which is why, historically, all three Abrahamic faiths spawned so many sects. What constitutes waging war on Allah's messenger? What is "this land?" How to decide who should be murdered, who should be crucified, who should be imprisoned (and for how long and under what conditions)? Who decides? Compound the inherent uncertainty of language with the fact that the sacred texts of the Abrahamic religions contradict themselves at every turn, again and again and again, and "true Christianity/Islam" are merely matters of who happens to be speaking and the influence they wield at the moment.

That feels like the definition of dangerous source material if you need a professional scholar of said text to interprete it right with right being whatever the scholar chooses to be right.

No all you do is read. It's a religion not a novel. Why would you only accept after reading and not understanding, oh wait that's what terrorists do

Want to reform immigration to weed out religious extremist pschos? Institute a test that identifies them. Shouldn't be hard. Just show people the 'offensive' cartoon, maybe say something like 'fuck this deity' or 'prophet xyz was a moron.' If potential immigrants can hack it and agree the tester has the right to freedom of speech, awesome, they pass. If they get angry or try to escalate the situation, the tester can see how far they'll go. Provoke them more. If they start losing control of themselves or making threats or whatever, sorry, they fail. Does anyone think something like this would work? Or is offending people's sensitivities too controversial?

You didn't think this through.

The amount of shit you are throwing to throw moderates under the bus because you don't like islam is even more appalling and frankly bordering on bigotry

This is insane. I have done no such thing. I would love for you to find a post in this thread where I blame Islam as a whole, or Muslims as a whole, or claim this had anything to do with moderate (or even conservative) Muslims. The attackers were Islamic extremists, and my issue is the absurd way you keep trying to downplay the link to Islam. I am not saying they represent Islam, or that they were following it properly. They believed they were, and that's what motivated them. They were still wrong, but they were still, in their minds, motivated by Islam. No matter how hard you try to downplay that, or point out that they also killed Muslims, doesn't change that. That doesn't make me a bigot, and it's fucking crazy you would jump to that.

Mononoke

Banned
OK, fair enough.

I mean to be fair i understand what you are saying. Not entirely sure myself what he means about Libya. At a glance it almost implies France had this newspaper push the buttons of extremists so something like this could happen so they could have an excuse to intervene in Libya.

But like I said, at a glance. Not sure what he means by that line.

you do know that it doesn't really matter right? just like the Bible where people can interpret things either figuretively or literally, the same can be said for the Quran. someone somewhere out there can tell his people that it means generally and not battlefield. your interpretation does not mean it's the same one as the 1.6 billion around you.

my point was that the book itself is saying to use violence. it doesn't matter the context. because when is murder ever acceptable in any context?

Free speech is free speech whether you like what it's said or not.

I thought that went without saying, but I suppose that was naive of me.

So yes, I absolutely support Charlie Hebdo's right to publish puerile, racist crap like this. Doesn't mean I have to admire them as heroes.

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.
Fucking horrible.

sClgywt.jpg

A shame? Get the fuck out of here. The whole point of free speech is that people with minority or even offensive speech should not be censored.

FartOfWar

Banned
I thought that went without saying, but I suppose that was naive of me.

So yes, I absolutely support Charlie Hebdo's right to publish puerile, racist crap like this. Doesn't mean I have to admire them as heroes.

curious. which racist is it being racist to in those two cartoons? black people?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom