• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terry Pratchett starts process to take his own life

Status
Not open for further replies.

J-Rod

Yaboosh said:
Does alzheimers cause any physical suffering or is it mostly mental/emotional suffering?
I had a great aunt with it, and I don't think she had any physical pain from it, just emotional and mental.

CiSTM

Banned
Yaboosh said:
Does alzheimers cause any physical suffering or is it mostly mental/emotional suffering?
All of those. Physical deterioration will start at very early and it will place lot of strain to muscles and joints.

Tho when it goes far enough it really can't be called suffering (mental suffering) since the people don't have any understanding what is going on. My friend is working in a hospital and every now and then when I had to pick her up from work I saw people with alzhaimer and it's truely sad. Eventually the people are just strap to their beds for most of the day since they can't even walk or feed themselfs. One patient had been in her bed for five years.

I would take Pratchett's way too if I would ever be diagnosed with this heinous disease.

chris121580

Clydefrog said:
Fuck, I watched that one day after work. I was weeping so much during it.
The end was absolutely heartbreaking the way they were filming through the window with silhouettes while they were singing. It had a huge impact on me.

JoeBoy101

Yaboosh said:

Inability to properly go to the toilet by yourself? As to actual, strictly physical issues, I am unaware. But then again, I'm getting quite an education.

For example: I didn't know that a urinary tract infection can cause violent dementia in those afflicted with Alzheimers. Did I mention cleanly going to the bathroom is an issue for those with Alzheimers? Fucking disease.

dofry said:
There are three basic steps for Alzheimer's: mild, moderate and severe. With milder syptoms you can function pretty well like before, you just sometimes forget e.g. a step in a process, or repeat things. It doesn't mean that you can't function as a normal person in day to day things. He clearly seems capable of taking care of his own business until he deteriorates into worse status later on. That's what the decision now is for.
It's heartaching to watch people with severe Alzheimer's and it's a huge burden to the family members too, so I can see the logic in his decision.

My grandpa doesn't have Alzheimer's (I don't think) he's just getting increasingly senile. He's 95+, but he forgot that my dad is his son and why he's in a wheelchair. It's one of the only times I've seen my dad be emotional or try to contain emotions. I imagine that living with someone that is severe is very similar to the above.

Tacitus_

I'm so saddened by this news, but it isn't unexpected. He's had Alzheimers for years and it's been going for the worse for a while now.

His article/speech (he could only give the opening words due to the disease) on the subject is great and really gives you insight why he chose this.

When I was a young boy, playing on the floor of my grandmother's front room, I glanced up at the television and saw Death, talking to a knight. I didn't know much about death at that point. It was the thing that happened to ­budgerigars and hamsters. But it was Death, with a scythe and an amiable manner. I didn't know it at the time, of course, but I had just watched a clip from Ingmar Bergman's The Seventh Seal, wherein the knight engages in protracted dialogue, and of course the ­famous chess game, with the Grim Reaper who, it seemed to me, did not seem so terribly grim.

JoeBoy101

demosthenes said:
My grandpa doesn't have Alzheimer's (I don't think) he's just getting increasingly senile. He's 95+, but he forgot that my dad is his son and why he's in a wheelchair. It's one of the only times I've seen my dad be emotional or try to contain emotions. I imagine that living with someone that is severe is very similar to the above.

Story from a support group. Woman has been taking care of her mother with Alzheimer's for many years, but has been progressively getting worse. One night she wakes up, and her Mother is standing over her side of the bed, a flashlight clutched in her hand. Her mother had no idea why.

Sadly, it is not rare for a loved one with the disease to stab or attack a loved one from dementia, confusion, or otherwise thinking they are somewhere else or is someone else. Really, I totally respect Pratchett's decision here. Its a disease that strips your very being.

Alzheimer's is a terrible disease that's often treated too lightly (like a punchline). I worked in a law office which specialized in PoAs and wills, and we had a few clients who had sever Alzheimer's. They literally would forget where they were supposed to sign and what they were signing for, moments after it was explained to them.

Truly frightening and sad. :(

Kalnos said:
Why is this illegal in most of the U.S. again?
Well, it's a sin in most religions, which covers that angle. Plus, most Americans like to believe we're tough bastards able to stand up to any adversity, so we tend to look down on suicides of all kinds.

Kalnos

Banned
crowphoenix said:
Well, it's a sin in most religions, which covers that angle. Plus, most Americans like to believe we're tough bastards able to stand up to any adversity, so we tend to look down on suicides of all kinds.

Yeah, it was more of a rhetorical. I do find it amusing that denying treatment and being doped on pain meds is OK, but physician assisted suicide is wrong. It's very odd.

JABEE

Etrian Oddity said:
Alzheimer's is a terrible disease that's often treated too lightly (like a punchline). I worked in a law office which specialized in PoAs and wills, and we had a few clients who had sever Alzheimer's. They literally would forget where they were supposed to sign and what they were signing for, moments after it was explained to them.

Truly frightening and sad. :(
Yea, it makes me really sad.

Kalnos said:
Yeah, it was more of a rhetorical. I do find it amusing that denying treatment and being doped on pain meds is OK, but physician assisted suicide is wrong. It's very odd.
On Gaf, you never know. Besides, it's a worthwhile condemnation. And I think the Drug Industry has a lot to do with why living in a vegetative state is better than a quick death.

Really sad but moving documentary I urge all of gaf to try and watch it and so sad now knowing terry has started the process to go that way

Des0lar

will learn eventually
I truly support him. I'd rather be dead, than completely forget who I am, only a husk that remains.

There's something sadly charming about a man who, in the event of not going through with assisted suicide, either forgets the world he created or goes off to live there entirely.

Here's to you, Terry Pratchett.

sullytao

Just finished watching the BBC documentary. I can't believe how brave that man was at the end. Oddly enough my Great Granddad had motor neuron and my Great Grandma had Alzheimers. Both of them were completely robbed of themselves piece by piece. My G-Granddad lost just about all mobility in his body but his mind was for the most part ok which means he knew exactly what was happening and the hopelessness of it. My G-Grandma on the other hand lost her memory bit by bit. She didn't recognise her family and twice called the police because she woke up in her home but didn't recognise it and thought she had been kidnapped. She didn't make it to the last stages of that disease because she also had cancer which advanced very quickly.

Both of them told me at one point that it was not worth it. I know they would have opted for assisted death if they could. If I am ever faced with such an illness I really hope I can find the courage to end my life.

jaxword

ruuk said:
I hope this is a hoax.

It's not. This has been coming for quite some time now, he's been quite public about it.

I find it enlightening to notice that the usual crowd of "suicide is for cowards" posters are NOT posting in this thread. I wonder what that means...possibly, that it takes a respectable public figure to push for an idea for an opponent to consider it.

Cartman86

Banned
It's really too bad it's seen in such a negative light (in public) in the US. I know very few people who think assisted suicide is wrong. Obviously there are people, but I think it's a lot less than people think. I imagine part of the stigma has come from (besides religion) Jack Kevorkian and some of his extreme views. I happen to agree with a lot of what he said, but he was such a polarizing figure with his fighting the man attitude he scared a lot of people off.

jaxword

Cartman86 said:
It's really too bad it's seen in such a negative light (in public) in the US. I know very few people who think assisted suicide is wrong. Obviously there are people, but I think it's a lot less than people think. I imagine part of the stigma has come from (besides religion) Jack Kevorkian and some of his extreme views. I happen to agree with a lot of what he said, but he was such a polarizing figure with his fighting the man attitude he scared a lot of people off.

Kevorkian is dead, so now we can work towards a better view of controlling your own death.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
jaxword said:
I find it enlightening to notice that the usual crowd of "suicide is for cowards" posters are NOT posting in this thread. I wonder what that means...possibly, that it takes a respectable public figure to push for an idea for an opponent to consider it.
Read my post above. This isn't anything like most of the suicide situations that I've had to personally deal with, where six months later without exception they have said to me "man, I'm really glad I didn't go through with it"

I'm glad I didn't just "respect their choices".

jaxword

The_Technomancer said:
Read my post above. This isn't anything like most of the suicide situations that I've had to personally deal with, where six months later without exception they have said to me "man, I'm really glad I didn't go through with it"

I'm glad I didn't just "respect their choices".

Reread my post. I specifically was talking about the crowd that calls suicide a cowardly action.

The Technomancer

jaxword said:
Reread my post. I specifically was talking about the crowd that calls suicide a cowardly action.
Fair enough. I get kind of tired of the "its their life, and if you even suggest that they shouldn't kill themselves then you are an insensitive prick", and I jumped to a bit of a conclusion.

jaxword

The_Technomancer said:
Fair enough. I get kind of tired of the "its their life, and if you even suggest that they shouldn't kill themselves then you are an insensitive prick", and I jumped to a bit of a conclusion.

There's a WORLD of difference between someone who can be helped, and someone who cannot be helped.

Nobody sane supports someone killing themselves if they can be helped with a bit of counseling and help.

But when you are BEYOND help, that's what people support, and when that sensitivity to their suffering is required, and "respecting their choice" is necessary.

The Technomancer

jaxword said:
There's a WORLD of difference between someone who can be helped, and someone who cannot be helped.

Nobody sane supports someone killing themselves if they can be helped with a bit of counseling and help.

But when you are BEYOND help, that's what people support, and when that sensitivity to their suffering is required, and "respecting their choice" is necessary.
I'm all for assisted suicide when a person has medical issues that will irreparably and inevitably ruin their life. But I've had a fair number of conversations on GAF that have debated the idea of respecting a person's right to kill themselves just because they're unhappy with their life as it currently is and don't see any likely way its going to change. (and of course they don't, they're depressed!)

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
God, alzheimers is such an awful, awful way to go. I really think if I had it I'd seriously consider doing the same thing. That's just... damn. Awful. Especially for a writer?

I appreciate the link (for however long it stays active) but I just can't bring myself to watch it yet. The first two minutes or so nearly broke me when I found out he couldn't type anymore.

Jintor

Watching it now. It's very interesting. I kind of want to know what my medical student friends think.

/edit oh my fucking god the widow who sang with her husband as he died. Oh god.

//edit "I will remember you". Arrgh, argh, argh. Crying now.

Alrus

That's a very strong decision, I respect it not matter how sad it makes me feel. He's probably my favorite author and was a huge part of my teenage years... I feel so sad right now.

Alzheimer is a terrible disease and we don't have much knowledge of it really.

My mother always told us that if she ever became senile or demented, she'd rather die than stay in such a condition, she would have to be a burden to us and not having any control on her life.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
My better half loves Pratchett and I imagine it will be a very gloomy day at home when the news does hit that he is no longer living on this planet.

I watched a film called Memories of Tomorrow with Ken Watanabe in it who was portraying a businessman who was diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease. I can only imagine the pain that everyone must go through when this is occuring to an associate, friend, family member and loved one.

An-Det

That really is tragic, truly a great loss with Pratchet. Fuck Alzheimers, it is horrible. My great-aunt Ruth had it before she passed years ago. I never knew her before it, but even seeing her decline from bad to worse was just sad.

Ignignort

Last half of the documentary is very very sad

For people who can't handle watching someone take poison and go to sleep the last 20 minutes aren't for you, they aren't for anyone really but just as a warning for you.

Tubobutts

Very sad to hear as he's my favorite author. I'll miss him and his books a whole lot. I would probably do the same thing in his situation.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
CleverGirl said:
I'm sure Death will come for Pratchett himself.

I imagine Death and Death of the Endless will both be there. Because its the second and last time we will get a Gaiman/Pratchett team up...

I fully support this though. My grandma had Alzheimer's. I wasnt sad when she died, since everything had long since been erased about the person I knew by that horrible fucking disease. I honestly think its a fate worse than death.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
he really should be spending his time and resources on researching recent medical breakthroughs scientists are making in stem cell research and how it can be applied to his disease for treatment. it's likely there are trials starting soon for a treatment that could help him.

Jintor

HK-47 said:
I imagine Death and Death of the Endless will both be there. Because its the second and last time we will get a Gaiman/Pratchett team up...

I remember Neil speculating about what people would draw when he kicked the bucket. A lovely girl just leading him off by the hand...

he really should be spending his time and resources on researching recent medical breakthroughs scientists are making in stem cell research and how it can be applied to his disease for treatment. it's likely there are trials starting soon for a treatment that could help him.

He's already funneling a lot of money into research efforts as far as I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom