• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terry Pratchett starts process to take his own life

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr stroke

Guy has a ton of guts. Will watch that Terry Prachett doc today.

anyone that wants to know more about the subject should watch this ASAP

lmLwZ.jpg

its on HBO currently and its mind blowing. I never cry during a movie. But I was in tears during this. One of the most moving movies you will ever see.

Fascinating subject to say the least

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Jintor said:
He's already funneling a lot of money into research efforts as far as I know.
i meant in terms of actually seeking out the cutting edge treatments that can help him, rather than donating money.

but good on him for leaving behind a noble legacy.

Jintor

I can of course only speculate, but I suspect that he thinks he's going fast enough that any new developments won't matter for him.

Uncle

Scrow said:
he really should be spending his time and resources on researching recent medical breakthroughs scientists are making in stem cell research and how it can be applied to his disease for treatment. it's likely there are trials starting soon for a treatment that could help him.

He actually did a show about that, or at least there were segments of various treatments in it, called Terry Pratchett: Living With Alzheimer's.

Edit: and of course here's a quote from an older interview:"Personally, I'd eat the arse out of a dead mole if it offered a fighting chance."

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Ignignort said:
Last half of the documentary is very very sad

For people who can't handle watching someone take poison and go to sleep the last 20 minutes aren't for you, they aren't for anyone really but just as a warning for you.
I am quite glad at the fact that it was shown, especially when you consider that it's coming from the BBC.

It reminded me of my father's death and the hospital staff going beyond all moral codes when we asked them to increase the morphine injections. He had not woken up consciously in 12 hours, did not recognize any of us during any disturbance during that time, and all we could manage to do was to say goodbye to him during his sleeping state. It is a riveting moment that will stay with you till the end.

jaxword

Scrow said:
he really should be spending his time and resources on researching recent medical breakthroughs scientists are making in stem cell research and how it can be applied to his disease for treatment. it's likely there are trials starting soon for a treatment that could help him.

He's already done that and donated a large amount of money towards this research. I think he'd probably know if there was a chance anymore, the man doesn't WANT to die.

Just finished the documentary, I was quite shocked to say the least - very sad but very uplifting at the same time.

The Smedleys were lovely.

The documentary was impossibly hard to watch. I can't imagine researching the decision, confronting it, and then having to make it for myself. That takes a level of bravery and determination that I seriously doubt that I will ever possess.

People should be able to pass in their own homes surrounded by family and friends, and not on a love-seat in some industrial park in Switzerland. Plus, there is something unsettling about the process - aside from the foreign surroundings, and I think it's the drugs they used. I want an anesthesiologist to put me under, then administer the lethal medicine. I do not want to be conscious while my body struggles for air as I suffocate.

Dead Man

Gaborn said:
I'm a huge Discworld fan boy so I'm sad, but I completely respect his decision.
Indeed. Hope you end up on a flat world, supported by four elephants, standing on the back of a great turtle, Sir Terry.

speedpop said:
I am quite glad at the fact that it was shown, especially when you consider that it's coming from the BBC.

It reminded me of my father's death and the hospital staff going beyond all moral codes when we asked them to increase the morphine injections. He had not woken up consciously in 12 hours, did not recognize any of us during any disturbance during that time, and all we could manage to do was to say goodbye to him during his sleeping state. It is a riveting moment that will stay with you till the end.
Yeah, when my mum had cancer, she still ages to live, but was not conscious without pain ever. She asked the docs to increase her morphine, and they did. Tough to deal with, but better than watching her in pain for weeks.

Phonomezer said:
Just finished the documentary, I was quite shocked to say the least - very sad but very uplifting at the same time.

The Smedleys were lovely.

The Smedleys were very sweet, and very British. Their level of decorum was amazing considering the situation.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Man has left so much to be remembered by.

God bless, Terry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom