• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TESV: Skyrim Game Informer info

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr_Brit

Banned
God's Beard said:
The only MMO I want to see is Monster Hunter.
Elder Scrolls should forever remain strictly offline single player only. Multiplayer and COOP do not belong in this series at all.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
The Elder Scrolls fans who don't want an MMO truly baffle me. The ES games are practically already MMO's without any of the things that make MMO's cool. The questing, the combat, the factions, all those things are staples of MMORPG's. I spent the entire time playing Oblivion thinking this was just a boring fucking version of most of the MMO's I'd played. The ES series would benefit greatly from becoming an MMO, you guys just don't know it yet.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Spire said:
The Elder Scrolls fans who don't want an MMO truly baffle me. The ES games are practically already MMO's without any of the things that make MMO's cool. The questing, the combat, the factions, all those things are staples of MMORPG's. I spent the entire time playing Oblivion thinking this was just a boring fucking version of most of the MMO's I'd played. The ES series would benefit greatly from becoming an MMO, you guys just don't know it yet.

tributetwo4eooo.gif

Mr_Brit

Banned
Spire said:
Fefhc.gif

If this post is real then you should feel awful. It's because of people with terrible taste like you that we will never get a KOTOR 3.

P.S: If you seriously feel that ES is more boring than the typical grindathon MMOs like WoW then I truly feel sorry for you.

X26

Banned
Any word on non-hostile wildlife? RDR did this extremely well and it adds a lot to the atmosphere

Oblivion had deer, and that's about it I think

Darklord

Banned
Spire said:

Jsk7q.gif

Tr4nce

X26 said:
Any word on non-hostile wildlife? RDR did this extremely well and it adds a lot to the atmosphere

One of the scans showed a deer...

Spire said:
The problem with MMOs is that you have to play them with other people. If you're only going to play with friends, we call that co-op, and that's all I need for multiplayer anyway.

I just hope they fix their animations, reduce load times, extend view distance for NPCs in the world, and make the combat feel more meaty than it does. It doesn't need co-op, but I can't say I'd mind it as a separate mode where you just clear and loot dungeons or something.

Spire said:

The fact that it's not an MMO is one of the main reasons what makes it special and why I even play it. I hope you realize that making it an MMO would change it from the ground up and it would no longer be elder scrolls. It would be a totally different game with a totally different feel. Elder scrolls is all about immersion, a level of immersion not possible in a MMORPG. If you want to play an MMO you have quite the selection to choose from.

cluto

X26 said:

Red Dead had bears, wolves, and mountain lions. Oblivion had bears, wolves, and mountain lions. What were you talking about again?

Spire said:
2vb3ec7.jpg

cluto said:
Red Dead had bears, wolves, and mountain lions. Oblivion had bears, wolves, and mountain lions. What were you talking about again?
The key word was "non-hostile", as in, things that don't attempt to eat your face.

The article did say something about it, but I'm not completely sure anymore. I read the scans, and it wasn't completely readable, but it talked about each enemy having their own patterns now, and not all enemies attacking you on sight.

Spire said:
tumblr_lefsw3JOBX1qf8yek.gif

(Better than the previous one :p)

JambiBum

cluto said:
Non hostile wildlife. As in wildlife that doesn't attack on sight.

Keikoku

Banned
Spire said:

10/10

Einbroch

Banned
Spire said:
While I disagree that TES is boring, I think it would make a pretty sweet MMO.

RPGCrazied

I got mine today, it seems very awesome. The screens, whilst look kinda like IV's, I want to see a trailer, like now.

I'm worried about the games framerate and screen tearing after reading the preview.

Helmholtz

Spire said:
Nope, don't want one. An MMO would mean striving to create an even bigger world (unnecessary) and drastically changing the way the games play, probably for the worse. Not to mention the inevitable monthly fee. Now an elder scrolls co-op game, that I might be interested in.

Spire said:

Dude, those things were staples of RPGs before MMOs existed.

Wallach

Persistent MMO does not immediately interest me. Multiplayer of some variety? I'm listening. Baldur's Gate/Shadows of Amn multiplayer was fun (when it worked properly).

I personally don't want any kind of multiplayer, but it wouldn't be the end of the world if the incorporated coop or something of the like. I just don't see the need of this trend of cramming multiplayer into everything. I'd rather that they'd focus solely on single-player mechanics, and the scope of that is even now almost too much to handle in a game of this size.

Monocle

Spire said:
How about no.

MrBig

Someone who is doing work on the game was talking in the Polycount IRC. Didn't want to be asking invasive questions.
He said that each city would be unique with it's own architectural style, not a bunch of modular assets.

Gattsu25

Banned
MrBig said:
Someone who is doing work on the game was talking in the Polycount IRC. Didn't want to be asking invasive questions.
He said that each city would be unique with it's own architectural style, not a bunch of modular assets.
Does that mean that within each city every building is unique or that they are not going to re-use architecture assets from one city in another? (or both)

Wallach

Blue Ninja said:
I'm hoping the "big cities"-thing they stated in GI is actually true. Five cities is less than in Oblivion, so I'm hoping they feel a lot more alive, and are a lot bigger than the ones in Oblivion.

So excited for this game. :D

I don't know if they meant 5 cities period, but 5 capital cities. Morrowind for example also has 5 capital cities but quite a few more smaller towns and such.

MrBig

Gattsu25 said:
Does that mean that within each city every building is unique or that they are not going to re-use architecture assets from one city in another? (or both)
That's what is meant by not using modular assets.

Gattsu25

Banned
MrBig said:
The first half of the statement could have meant anything and the last part could have been incorrect interpretation of the previous part.

I just wanted clarification on a second-hand and paraphrased statement.

bengraven

Interesting. Looking at the map and under Windhelm I see "divine birth".

Wonder what THAT is all about? I'm cool with your character being a god figure.

Also: I'm guessing the dotted lines are the artificial barrier. A shame, I was hoping we could explore those frozen seas.

And finally: the towns look small.

/bitching

MrBig

Dotted lines are obviously not barriers. They have them all over the place sectioning things, not just at boundaries.

Gorgon

Spire said:

And here I was thinking they were the staples of every CRPG since who-the-fuck-knows-when.

Gorgon

MrBig said:

Well, you can have "each city would be unique with it's own architectural style" and still use "a bunch of modular assets" for each city. These two statements are quite unrelated, so I'm betting that each city is going to be different architecturaly but that most buildings within each (the "commons" buildings) are going to be mostly modular in nature.

Gattsu25

Banned
Gorgon said:
Well, you can have "each city would be unique with it's own architectural style" and still use "a bunch of modular assets" for each city. These two statements are quite unrelated, so I'm betting that each city is going to be different architecturaly but that most buildings within each (the "commons" buildings) are going to be mostly modular in nature.
That was my initial interpretation based on the ambiguous first comment.

X26

Banned
Wallach said:
I don't know if they meant 5 cities period, but 5 capital cities. Morrowind for example also has 5 capital cities but quite a few more smaller towns and such.

all of which looked copy/pasted :/

Tobor

animlboogy said:
I certainly wouldnt mind an Elder Scrolls MMO... I just think a co-op version for, say, four or so players would be much, much better. It would barely change anything, it would just make all of that questing feel a lot less lonely.
It would require massive amounts of work. Networking, UI, dungeon design, balancing, testing, all sorts of resources and time taken away from where it belongs.

Give me my one series of open world RPG's where the focus is entirely on the single player experience. There'll be a MMO, and you can have the rest of gaming, just give me this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom