• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TESV: Skyrim Game Informer info

Status
Not open for further replies.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Everybody wants every game to be an MMO. Why? Why can't there be one goddamn game that is geared toward giving a player a huge world to play around in without having the trappings of an MMO? Are there not enough MMOs out there? There is only one Elder Scrolls series.

okenny

Banned
Mr_Brit said:
If that ever comes to fruitition I really hope it flops hardcore. It's bad enough that we've had one amazing RPG series robbed from us by MMOs(KOTOR), having ES become an MMO series would just be too much to handle.

Ultima says hello ;_;

moojito

While dumbing down is generally bad, I wish oblivion, fallout and this would copy a bit of what makes wow and before that diablo so popular: decent loot upgrades! Most of your stats in elder scrolls games are completely unaffected by your gear. Getting new gear doesn't matter much at all. A number in the dagger or shield column in the inventory list is all there is. It'd be awesome if trawling dungeons or doing quests for good loot that made a real difference was possible.

Tr4nce

So fellow TES loving GAF, any ideas or wishes about how the game is going to start or should start? I think I'm ready for something different than escaping a prison this time around. I think I would like to see some sort of beginning like Fallout3, where the player is born, goes to school etc. etc. There's so much cool things you can think of if you ask me.

ZeroRay

I want the process to not last more than 10 minutes.

I don't wanna play through the same thing every time I make a new character.

moojito

Given bethesda's love of the intro tutorial I'm going to guess it's some kind of young warrior's coming-of-age trial type thing.

Mr_Brit

Banned
ZeroRay said:

Well the player character is a dragon born just like the Septim line who are very important people in ES lore so there's probably going to be quite big a set up. I'm thinking something like a big battle and everyone in your order is killed etc.

Radogol

The Lamonster said:
So, does anybody know if this is Skyrim concept art? Because it's awesome.

qyhbtg.jpg

I could believe that's Adamowicz's work.

ZeroRay

Mr_Brit said:
Well the player character is a dragon born just like the Septim line who are very important people in ES lore so there's probably going to be quite big a set up. I'm thinking something like a big battle and everyone in your order is killed etc.

They'll probably go with something like that. Hopefully it's cool.

Or just pull a Morrowind and do the Dragonborn revelation later in the game like they did with the Neravarine.

Ledsen

ZeroRay said:

The "Skip Tutorial Dungeon" mod is usually out in the first few days...

Started a new character in Oblivion. I basically recreated my WoW mage :lol

360 version too...I know it's a sad state but I already bought all the DLC so I don't feel like throwing down $25 more plus hours customizing mods on the PC version.

Anyway, the next 10 months are going to feel extremely long. I kind of wish this Skyrim hype train didn't leave the station so early...

RPGCrazied

Can I has trailer? :3 I know we still have another 10months to wait, but that teaser wasn't even worth doing. All it was voice overs with music, how can you excite over that? Now the GI preview was much more hype inducing.

gigakain

Neo Member
I bet the beginning of the game will involve you being in prison, isn't that the tradition for ES games? Seems like Arena started that way as well as Morrowind and Oblivion... not sure about the others.

Downloaded Morrowind from Steam along with a few graphic mods this weekend, I had never played it. Never had a PC back then and I totally missed the XBOX train at the time. I am really enjoying it, here's hoping I can make it last 10 months heh.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
DennisK4 said:
Very nice. Lots of info on the back story of TES V: Skyrim.
It seems they're tying up all the loose ends of the main Elder Scrolls plotline as well.

Sounds like they want to leave themselves wide open for the TES VI
and the MMO

RPGCrazied said:
Can I has trailer? :3 I know we still have another 10months to wait, but that teaser wasn't even worth doing. All it was voice overs with music, how can you excite over that? Now the GI preview was much more hype inducing.
I'm quite interested to see the gameplay changes, since they're the only thing that isn't especially clear based on the details.

gigakain said:
I bet the beginning of the game will involve you being in prison, isn't that the tradition for ES games? Seems like Arena started that way as well as Morrowind and Oblivion... not sure about the others.

Downloaded Morrowind from Steam along with a few graphic mods this weekend, I had never played it. Never had a PC back then and I totally missed the XBOX train at the time. I am really enjoying it, here's hoping I can make it last 10 months heh.
Yes, it says you're a prisoner on that wall.

gigakain said:
I'd love to break out of a prison with a group of people. Starting out stealth and erupting into a prisoners vs. guards battle and finally slipping out a back door or something. That'd be awesome.

tuco11

Well i guess we have to wait until E3 2011 for the official Microsft conference to see some gameplay. Come on, you know that is when the big reveal will be.

gstaff

Radogol said:
qyhbtg.jpg

I could believe that's Adamowicz's work.

We actually have two concept artists at Bethesda Game Studios now -- Adam Adamowicz and Ray Lederer. Both are awesome.

In the behind the scenes video, it's actually Ray that's sitting down when Todd's in the concept art room, and this particular piece of Skyrim art is actually from Ray.

Jokergrin

Beards! YAY!!!

I am doubtful about the random generated quests though... that seems like a step backwards back to the days of Daggerfall where all quests had randomly selected locations and such. As opposed to the tailor made quests of Morrowind and Oblivion.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
tuco11 said:
Well i guess we have to wait until E3 2011 for the official Microsft conference to see some gameplay. Come on, you know that is when the big reveal will be.
Microsoft barely shows off multiplatform games any more, so I suspect we will see it before then.

Gwanatu T

This is definitely impressive! I didn't like Morrowind or Oblivion, although I really wanted to and tried to: the community for both games are incredible. My brother loved the game and I watched him play it quite a bit, but could just never get in to it myself. The atmosphere was great though, not sure what the problem was honestly. I like all the changes and improvements, especially to the combat.

gstaff said:
We actually have two concept artists at Bethesda Game Studios now -- Adam Adamowicz and Ray Lederer. Both are awesome.

In the behind the scenes video, it's actually Ray that's sitting down when Todd's in the concept art room, and this particular piece of Skyrim art is actually from Ray.
So it IS from Skyrim! Looks fucking great.

Sounds like you work at Bethesda, so if you do, you should tell Ray that this particular piece of art has single handedly raised my hype to a "zomg" level. If the game looks anything like that, I'll be a happy dude.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
moojito said:
While dumbing down is generally bad, I wish oblivion, fallout and this would copy a bit of what makes wow and before that diablo so popular: decent loot upgrades! Most of your stats in elder scrolls games are completely unaffected by your gear. Getting new gear doesn't matter much at all. A number in the dagger or shield column in the inventory list is all there is. It'd be awesome if trawling dungeons or doing quests for good loot that made a real difference was possible.
Wow.. no thanks!

water_wendi said:
Wow.. no thanks!
um I think your apparent disgust of WoW is blinding you here. He's just saying as an RPG, there should be more of an incentive to explore dungeons/caves by making loot worthwhile, and I totally agree. And if anything, this idea is much more Diablo than WoW anyway.

My experience in Oblivion was trudging deep into a cave only to find a treasure chest with 4 gold and some lockpicks inside. The best cave in Oblivion was the one with Umbra, because she carried the best sword in the game. I specifically went in there and battled her so I could get that sword. That's the kind of awesomeness we're talking about here, and I'd like to see more things like that in Skyrim.

Dresden

The Lamonster said:
My experience in Oblivion was trudging deep into a cave only to find a treasure chest with 4 gold and some lockpicks inside. The best cave in Oblivion was the one with Umbra, because she carried the best sword in the game. I specifically went in there and battled her so I could get that sword. That's the kind of awesomeness we're talking about here, and I'd like to see more things like that in Skyrim.
OOO

walked up a mountain

found three random scrubs

he had a cool sword

so i tried to kill him

but he owned me

rip

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
The Lamonster said:
um I think your apparent disgust of WoW is blinding you here. He's just saying as an RPG, there should be more of an incentive to explore dungeons/caves by making loot worthwhile, and I totally agree. And if anything, this idea is much more Diablo than WoW anyway.
i wasnt even thinking Wow but Diablo. Incremental loot upgrades being the main focus of rpgs is horrible, imo. edit: and i meant Wow as Wow OMG! not Wow the game.

Thats a problem with Oblivion and its level scaling.

I have to really agree that Skyrim should take a few design cues from WoW. Not many, but a few. I've tried Oblivion multiple times and I simply cannot get into it. I think the above loot table changes would do wonders and maybe some better scripted events. My experience with scripted events in FO and Oblivion were essentially talking to the NPCs, then watching them run off to fight with some other NPCs and talking to the survivors. I liked how in WoW Lich King especially you had some truly epic scripted events. My other complaint with Oblivion is that the world just felt barren. I remember coming out of the sewers at the beginning and finally having the world open up...except I ran around for something like ten minutes and all I encountered was a deer and an inn. With WoW, as rigidly controlled as it, you feel like there's at least a world teeming with content. A Co-op campaign mode I think would work really well and I'd imagine their working on it.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
mikespit1200 said:
I have to really agree that Skyrim should take a few design cues from WoW. Not many, but a few. I've tried Oblivion multiple times and I simply cannot get into it. I think the above loot table changes would do wonders and maybe some better scripted events. My experience with scripted events in FO and Oblivion were essentially talking to the NPCs, then watching them run off to fight with some other NPCs and talking to the survivors. I liked how in WoW Lich King especially you had some truly epic scripted events.
i dont know what these epic scripted events were. Those horrible cutscenes? Ugh. id rather Skyrim take the majority of its design cues from Morrowind.

water_wendi said:
i dont know what these epic scripted events were. Those horrible cutscenes? Ugh. id rather Skyrim take the majority of its design cues from Morrowind.

Nah, mostly thinking of the Lich King battle, there was one where you awaken a sleeping blue dragon, quest title escapes me. The underwater intro in to Vashjyr with the shipwreck. Stuff like that.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
mikespit1200 said:
Nah, mostly thinking of the Lich King battle, there was one where you awaken a sleeping blue dragon, quest title escapes me. The underwater intro in to Vashjyr with the shipwreck. Stuff like that.
The problem with scripted cool events is that in my experience they are only tolerable once. The second time i did the underwater intro or the Twilight Highlands gunship thing i went to cook dinner while the game ran. Stuff like that is annoying to me because its less playing and more watching.

water_wendi said:
The problem with scripted cool events is that in my experience they are only tolerable once. The second time i did the underwater intro or the Twilight Highlands gunship thing i went to cook dinner while the game ran. Stuff like that is annoying to me because its less playing and more watching.

Well, yeah, but they just have to think of cool ways to make them interactive. I thought the Jaws and Indiana Jones questlines were pretty well done in WoW, the parody aspects notwithstanding.

VVVV Yeah, more of that.

I think the scripted events should be more like Half Life 2: EP2, the part where the bridge collapsed. Scriped events involving huge geometry are awesome. I want to see a mage crumble a mountain with magic or a warrior jump from a great height and land on his feet, creating a crater. I want to see a dragon emerge from a lake, etc

mikespit1200 said:
I have to really agree that Skyrim should take a few design cues from WoW. Not many, but a few. I've tried Oblivion multiple times and I simply cannot get into it. I think the above loot table changes would do wonders and maybe some better scripted events. My experience with scripted events in FO and Oblivion were essentially talking to the NPCs, then watching them run off to fight with some other NPCs and talking to the survivors. I liked how in WoW Lich King especially you had some truly epic scripted events. My other complaint with Oblivion is that the world just felt barren. I remember coming out of the sewers at the beginning and finally having the world open up...except I ran around for something like ten minutes and all I encountered was a deer and an inn. With WoW, as rigidly controlled as it, you feel like there's at least a world teeming with content. A Co-op campaign mode I think would work really well and I'd imagine their working on it.

I think not cramming too much shit into a small space is a good thing as it adds a sense of realism... if anything they should make the spaces between locations even greater IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom