• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tetsuya Nomura hints at Kingdom Hearts Announcement Next Week

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link said:
A few months ago I would have said KH3 on the Wii is a complete no-brainer. Now? Not a chance in hell that's happening.
What made you change your stance so drastically? Please don't tell me it's because of Wii sales in Japan.

BishopLamont said:
What made you change your stance so drastically? Please don't tell me it's because of Wii sales in Japan.

To be completely honest, PS3 sales have picked up and the high profile games are selling pretty well now. That doesn't necessarily mean it's bound for PS3, though. It could easily go either way.

Link

The Autumn Wind
BishopLamont said:
Just the way Japanese support has gone despite sales. Plus all of SE's talk about reaching Western (read: HD) audiences.

jeremy1456

Link said:
Just the way Japanese support has gone despite sales. Plus all of SE's talk about reaching Western (read: HD) audiences.

Western is HD? Isn't the Wii on track to overtake both HD consoles combined throughout the West?

For the most part Japanese developers aren't fully supporting the Wii, but Square-Enix is the exception to this rule. Since the HD consoles have both been released how many major projects has Square-Enix announced for them? The Last Remnant is the only one I can think of (not counting games they just publish).

How many exclusive Wii games have they announced in this time? Amongst a bunch of smaller titles stands Dragon Quest X which is their biggest series in Japan.

Your reasoning makes little sense.

Link

The Autumn Wind
jeremy1456 said:
Western is HD? Isn't the Wii on track to overtake both HD consoles combined throughout the West?
It is, and I'm not saying it makes sense, but that seems to be what Japanese developers mean when they say that. (Take Capcom, for example.)

For the most part Japanese developers aren't fully supporting the Wii, but Square-Enix is the exception to this rule. Since the HD consoles have both been released how many major projects has Square-Enix announced for them? The Last Remnant is the only one I can think of (not counting games they just publish).

How many exclusive Wii games have they announced in this time? Amongst a bunch of smaller titles stands Dragon Quest X which is their biggest series in Japan.

Your reasoning makes little sense.
I don't think using SE's previous Wii "support" really helps that argument. The Enix side does seem to be putting some effort in, but the Square side? There's been a Chocobo game and a bunch of Crystal Chronicles releases.

Plus I just don't see a high-end production like KH going to the Wii. That's not how Square operates these days. They'd rather put their RPG's on the 360 over the Wii. That should tell you all you need to know.

Yes, I know DQ is a huge property for them, but again, Enix, and also, DQ has also been on the more "simple" side where graphics and cutscenes are concerned.

jeremy1456

Link said:
I don't think using SE's previous Wii "support" really helps that argument. The Enix side does seem to be putting some effort in, but the Square side? There's been a Chocobo game and a bunch of Crystal Chronicles releases.

Well if we compare that to, say, the games they've released for PS3 what do we have? I am confused as to why people still think of Square-Enix as two separate entities - is that how they operate? I'm not being snarky, just wondering because I was under the impression that the company is governed as a whole.

Link said:
Plus I just don't see a high-end production like KH going to the Wii. That's not how Square operates these days. They'd rather put their RPG's on the 360 over the Wii. That should tell you all you need to know.

I hate to resort to this argument, but you don't think moneyhats had to do with Tri-Ace's games being released on the 360? SE only published Star Ocean 4 and Infinite Undiscovery, I believe it was the developer's choice where to put them. The only games Square-Enix has actually made themselves and released for the Xbox 360 were Final Fantasy XI and The Last Remnant. Neither are particularly big games.

Link said:
Yes, I know DQ is a huge property for them, but again, Enix, and also, DQ has also been on the more "simple" side where graphics and cutscenes are concerned.

Dragon Quest VIII was a technical marvel and still looks amazing. The same goes for several of their DS games: Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker, Dragon Quest IV-V, etc. Dragon Quest IX looks to absolutely push the handheld system to it's limits.

My point is that they haven't exactly committed any new big games to the HD platform since FFXIII/Versus. The Wii has at least seen Dragon Quest X announced, and they even went back and seem to be re-tooling Crystal Bearers to be one of their big games. The fact that they haven't announced any big new HD games are in development for the HD consoles in two years (?), yet have released and announced several games for Wii makes me think that that's where KH3 will end up.

RagnarokX

All aboard the hype train.
v4cb3r.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom