• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tetsuya Takahashi's message on Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Rodin

Vay meets voy

It's good that he's doing different things, i'm already in just from what they've shown at the treehouse (which is nothing compared to the size of the game if it's anything like the previous ones, like judging XB1 from one part of colony 9).

Xenoblade X will be remembered as the necessary weirdo like SMB2, Zelda 2, Final Fantasy 2
I wonder if you guys realize how massively loved the game is outside of neogaf. And even here the difference is that people who hate are a bit too vocal compared to those who liked it.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
The fact he had to bring up the release date has me thinking this is getting delayed. In other words he is like "the release date might change!"
Its basically a standard Japanese comedy trope of wondering if they could get it done in time

They shouldn't have abandoned the Xenoblade X theme simply because of its lukewarm commercial reception on the Wii U. It was released on a trash system. A lot of good games bombed on it.

random25

They shouldn't have abandoned the Xenoblade X theme simply because of its lukewarm commercial reception on the Wii U. It was released on a trash system. A lot of good games bombed on it.

They are not abandoning it. For all we know they are working on the XCX sequel as they are finishing XC2.

foxuzamaki

Vay meets voy

It's good that he's doing different things, i'm in already from what they've shown (which is nothing compared to the size of the game if it's anything like the previous ones, like judging XB1 from one part of colony 9).

I wonder if you guys realize how massively loved the game is outside of neogaf. And even here the difference is that people who hate are a bit too vocal compared to those who liked it.
They like to forget how highly praised X is

foxuzamaki

Don't worry, if Nintendo's efforts in recent years are anything to go by, they will give her pants for the Western version.
Nintendo seems kinda hands off this time around, most likely wince their targeted demographic isn't kids now, back in the beginning of the WiiU life and when bayonetta 2 came out Nintendo was positioning themselves as a lace for the mature gamers and seem to be doing that again this gen now with the results to back it up

Fireblend

Banned
I like everything I've seen of this game. I agree the character designs aren't great (specially the kid's pants and the translucent shorts thing on the girl), but other than that I'm game for everything. The battle system looks simplified but not watered down, the world seems as good as the first one's, and I love the PS1-like anime RPG artstyle.

I can't wait for this game.

Strings

Huh, hopefully he keeps these posts up. Takahashi is an interesting dude, and occasionally comes up with some really phenomenal ideas.

I really want to get this, I just can't get into the battle system.. like at all from C1 or X. I just don't get the standing and auto attacks.

I really want to play this too!!! Anyone else have to overcome this type of resistance I have never been an MMO player either and the combat system reminds me of that.

Jezan

Hopefully by that quote he doesn't mean that the next Xenoblade X is going to ditch everything, or even that it won't be a sequel.

Coming from someone who adored the first XC I cannot bring myself to be interested in this sequel. The main character looks dumb as shit, the leading chick is an excercise in embarrassing anime tropes to the nth degree (does it always have to be children saving the world and does the 15 year old chick have to look like a hyoersexualized doll in impossible clothing?).

Creator says he doesn't want to make a game about "old men". That's fine. But the day they make a jrpg like this where you play as a band of 30-40 year old people where the protagonist is a full grown adult with facial hair they'll be subverting a trope which could be refreshing.

I'm done with these kinds of games looking like this. I'm 30 years old. This game ain't for me anymore.

I hope nintendo doesn't fuck around with the designs in the west but it's probably going to happen
In this game I actually hope they change the designs... Takahashi talks about making something unique, yet on first glance the game looks like the most generic animu game complete with one of the first main characters introduces being a blatant otaku bait design. Hope the story delivers something unique like he's suggesting. Don't get me wrong I'm still in day 0 and I'm sure I'll love the game. It's just that I love JRPG's so much and I just want the biggest games to move past stuff like questionable dub quality and fan service designs.

Xbro

O7XdV5j.png

fan.gif

Tohsaka

If it's anything like the last two games the initial outfits aren't going to matter since your new armor will show up on the characters, and I doubt they all are that revealing.

I can't believe that we passed from S tier character design Elma to shit tier character design Rex and Pyra.

Still I'm going to buy this game for the combat system and (hopefully) good story.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
Bamboo 竹;240852492 said:
I can't believe that we passed from S tier character design Elma from shit tier character design Rex and Pyra.

Still I'm going to buy this game for the combat system and (hopefully) good story.

It seems he's back in a Xenosaga phase again. I didn't like the designs for any of those characters.

Vashzaron

If it's anything like the last two games the initial outfits aren't going to matter since your new armor will show up on the characters, and I doubt they all are that revealing.

I really doubt the weapons are going to get new outfits. Considering how they all work under equip weapon > summon aesthetically similar looking personification and there is going to be a lot of them.
Plus I just don't see those generic robot like dudes they shown in the gameplay demo that Rex equiped getting outfits or the tiger for example.

Rodin

Hopefully by that quote he doesn't mean that the next Xenoblade X is going to ditch everything, or even that it won't be a sequel.
Story wise X is basically a giant build up for its sequel, so it wouldn't make sense. Plus they need to give me dat Elma main character or i'll hate them forever

Bamboo 竹;240852492 said:
I can't believe that we passed from S tier character design Elma to shit tier character design Rex and Pyra.

You know, judging from all these posts looks like nobody buys or gives a fuck about Xenoblade for top tier gameplay and world design, which is baffling to say the least.

random25

Bamboo 竹;240852492 said:
I can't believe that we passed from S tier character design Elma from shit tier character design Rex and Pyra.

Only Rex's clothes causes the conflict, otherwise everybody looks good. Pyra is well designed IMO. Basically Elma
on her alien look without having an alien appearance.

Story wise X is basically a giant build up for its sequel, so it wouldn't make sense. Plus they need to give me dat Elma main character or i'll hate them forever

Elma is basically the main character in X as the story revolves the most around her. We just need her to be the lead party member in the sequel.

ika

I totally agree, this forum gets so toxic when it comes about XBX that most people that actually likes the game refrains from post most of the time. Even threads about the first XB of the developer itself are contaminated ipso facto into an infinite loop of complains.

Sad thing is that even without the concern trolls that never played any Xeno game and the "I hate the game/music/faces/combat, and I already told you this a thousand times before in the past 5-10 years but I can't help myself derailing every XB Franchise thread on GAF with my opinion" people, there are still irrational fights between people that likes XBC or XCX more than the other, so a normal discussion about this saga or commenting news is nearly impossible (the last examples were the threads about the rumoured delay, the "main" thread for this E3 and the one about the four musical pieces), and reading those threads becomes depressing.

On topic, I'm intrigued about this message from Takahashi-san, I don't think he'll change that much the way the story is usually told, even if there's no a big tragedy in the first hours of the game.

The trailer and the E3 demo are not as "epic" as some of XBX ones, but XB2 is a more traditional JRPG so the surprises will come in the latter part of the story, not in the first area.

It's also interesting that this time they didn't show any introduction to the world or a cinematic like the Battle of the Sword Valley or the destruction of Earth, the crash on Mira and Elma finding the main character Stasis Capsule. This time Treehouse guys started on the middle of the field with already two party members and all at Level 7 IIRC. So there are potentially tons of details unknown on the beginning of the story, and that's exciting.

takriel

You have a Zelda avatar from a game where she's incessantly calling out to Link to save her. But they work together, each depend on the other. How's this any different?

This avatar bites me in the ass all the time it seems.

Yes, you're right. Zelda is a bad example of good female character representations in video games. But at least Zelda isn't dressed like that. And she doesn't cease to exist if Link dies. She doesn't have over-dimensional breasts. She doesn't "love this world because Link's in it." Etc.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
I really hope they show off more Xenoblade today. The guy playing during the Treehouse wasn't good at showing off the Physical chain attacks or the new status effect chain attacks.

Rodin

Yes, you're right. Zelda is a bad example of good female character representations in video games.
Oh yeah? I wonder why i've seen actual girls saying that she's a fantastic and even relatable character. I can't show you examples of girls i know but check what Alanah Pearce said about the character for example.

I really hope they show off more Xenoblade today. The guy playing during the Treehouse wasn't good at showing off the Physical chain attacks or the new status effect chain attacks.
I'd like to see a different environment, or at least a different area of the same one.

Yes, you're right. Zelda is a bad example of good female character representations in video games. But at least Zelda isn't dressed like that. And she doesn't cease to exist if Link dies. She doesn't have over-dimensional breasts. She doesn't "love this world because Link's in it." Etc.

I agree. Not a big fan of the character designs myself. It's why I've pretty much avoided the more recent EO games.

Fireblend

Banned

I agree with criticisms about the clothing; the way the character's dressed is pretty blatantly for fanservice purposes. But I think the rest of your thoughts are pretty weak. I'm not sure where the ceasing to exist thing comes from, but I thought the "I love this world..." line was pretty cute, why do you think that line comes from a place of dependance rather than romantic love and how is that harmful representation? We're missing context for it but that's something I'd expect on a valentine's card. And I don't feel like having big breasts is a bad thing for female representation, I've read several comments that read like they expect breasts to fall within a certain size range or that somehow makes the character worse or less credible or something. I'm pretty sure there's plenty of cool and capable women with big breasts in this world we live in. Again, I think it's the clothing that's obviously pandering to a male audience that's the problem that clashes with the character traits that the game probably wants her to have, not any of her physical attributes.

ika

Seems to me that she's 100% dependent on him.

Like somebody else already pointed out, the Blades are no female by definition. They're not even human beings as fas as we know (correct me if I'm wrong), maybe not even living creatures
-Maybe they're Gods, or even software like Alvis?
. You can see other Blades more alien shaped, even animal shaped and supposedly they all behaves the same as Pyra. I think the true nature of the Blades and their origin on Elysium is one of the keys of the plot on XB2...

Fou-Lu

So basically Grandia 1 written by Takahashi? I'm in.

Though I honestly expect things to get dark and crazy no matter what he says, and I welcome it!

I will continue not to worry about the MC's clothing as I am 100% certain I will be able to change it.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
I don't know if I should feel bad or not but fan service doesn't bother me whether pandering to males or females. The only time I roll my eyes towards it is when they give a bullshit reason for the attire like our boy Kojima.

aravuus

I prefer despair and sadness in my RPG stories! Make me cry goddamit.

Same here, absolutely. I haven't really enjoyed many of the main characters in Xeno games in years which has made it hard to enjoy the overarching stories too, so I'm not really expecting that much from the story anyway. Would be nice if it surprised me positively, though.

Top Bottom