• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Texas Gun Owners Worry That Open Carry Is Backfiring"

Status
Not open for further replies.
CHL carriers have been bringing guns in stores for years but you would never know it. They won't suddenly be more dangerous if they disobey the 30.06 sign

A pretty funny stance considering how many gun rights folks like to beat the "gun control only hurts law abiding gun owners" drum. Not terribly law abiding to disregard 30.06 signs, eh?

Jay Sosa

Yes.

Open carry, while it varies by state, tend to be pretty wildly permissive. In Georgia, for you can take guns into airports and bars example, (see: https://news.vice.com/article/georgia-now-allows-guns-in-airports-and-bars). Texas now allows students to have concealed carry on public university campuses (despite heavy resistance from faculty, students, police, etc).

Political rallies or meetings? Not so much (surprise!).

Wow. I have to say I'm amazed that you guys don't have even more shootings.

Macam

Banned
Wow. I have to say I'm amazed that you guys don't have even more shootings.

There was a NeoGAF thread on this not too long ago, but these gun laws are driven by people that end up doing stupid crap like this. See also, White Privilege.

And we have plenty of shootings. If the cops don't get you, the toddlers, the mentally unstable, the stupid, or any combination thereof, just might. Half the reason have such trigger happy cops is precisely because of our horrendously lax gun laws. If you get pulled over for, say, speeding in Texas, the cop/state trooper will pretty much always come up alongside your car with one hand resting on his pistol. That was always fun.

So very, very glad I GTFO out of the South.

MGrant

“Got an email from work telling us that not only are 30.07 signs going up over the weekend on our office building but 30.06 as well. What makes this even more frustrating is I have yet to see a single open carry,”

This is what gun nuts don't (or won't allow themselves to) understand. Most people either don't want or don't give a shit about open-carrying guns. Even in Texas. Because most people aren't fucking crazy tacticool cowboy cosplayers.

Used-ID

I wonder how many people know that Texas is something like the 45th out of 50 states to allow open carry, and that you have to have a license to do that
which is class time learning laws and making sure you can hit a target - it used to be an 8 hour class but they lowered it to 4

Quite a few states have open carry - no license required.

Lived in Texas all my life, sad to say open carry is far from the dumbest thing this state has done.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I wonder how many people know that Texas is something like the 45th out of 50 states to allow open carry, and that you have to have a license to do that
which is class time learning laws and making sure you can hit a target - it used to be an 8 hour class but they lowered it to 4

Quite a few states have open carry - no license required.

Lived in Texas all my life, sad to say open carry is far from the dumbest thing this state has done.

It became a big deal with Texas doing it because a significant percentage of the entire country lives there. Bigger population than states like Florida, New York, and Illinois where open carry handgun is still banned.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Truth be told?

I actually prefer open carry to concealed carry. It tells me immediately to not deal with that person ever while idiots all over the place can carry handguns on their persons with just a little effort if they want to be legal in most places in this country.

Banning handguns all together would seriously curb gun violence in this country. Simplest step yet the only thing you ever hear about is banning "assault rifles" which don't matter at all.

Cocaloch

im not a gun nut, im not far right, i support open carry and it doesnt freak me out when i see someone with a hand gun on their belt. i own a shotgun, rifle and a handgun but ive never felt the need to get a CHL. still dont.

Texas.

and had the terrost lived in texas, he would have had a very high chance of being stopped by a civilian. works both ways.

Also I just moved here, mind letting me know how many terrorists a year are stooped by civilians in Texas? I haven't heard of any; it must be too commonplace.

LOL someone quit from our job during training because he couldn't have his gun on him on the work floor. Like, I get you like your gun, but holy shit, the damn thing doesn't have to go with you everywhere.

I'm curious though, I wonder if more people want to have open carry so they can try to seem like a badass, or if they are legitimately this scared for their lives every day that they feel the need for a gun to be safe?

A pretty funny stance considering how many gun rights folks like to beat the "gun control only hurts law abiding gun owners" drum. Not terribly law abiding to disregard 30.06 signs, eh?

30.06 isn't a law, its an optional request by a private business. Pretty sure violators will be treated just like they would if they walked into a business without a shirt in a business that had a sign at the front of their door saying "no shirt. No shoes. no service." In other words they will be asked to leave, and if they refuse then they can call the cops to get them a misdemeanor for trespassing.

massoluk

Banned
LOL someone quit from our job during training because he couldn't have his gun on him on the work floor. Like, I get you like your gun, but holy shit, the damn thing doesn't have to go with you everywhere.

I'm curious though, I wonder if more people want to have open carry so they can try to seem like a badass, or if they are legitimately this scared for their lives every day that they feel the need for a gun to be safe?
Perfect, it even works as new employee screening tool

Right now sign makin businesses in Texas be all like:

GiD24rQ.gif

whats the source of this gif?

johnny956

30.06 isn't a law, its an optional request by a private business. Pretty sure violators will be treated just like they would if they walked into a business without a shirt in a business that had a sign at the front of their door saying "no shirt. No shoes. no service." In other words they will be asked to leave, and if they refuse then they can call the cops to get them a misdemeanor for trespassing.

Guess you haven't looked up 30.06. It's a class A misdemeanor in Texas. Up to 1 year in jail or $4000 fine. Pimping falls under Class A as well if you want to compare similar crimes

wah wah waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

I can kind of understand the desire for a concealed carry, and the 'difficulty' that almost relegated such measures to a select few.
Open carry as said by the gun activists quoted is a statement, a fashion choice and in fighting to walk down the street thinking you are in an action movie they've screwed themselves over and i love the schadenfraude of this! open carry is unnecessary outside of war torn states where its a necessity and unless i'm mistake the US isn't close (despite what FOX news says)

enjoy your new Freedom gun activists! the Freedom to take your gun for a walk and not go anywhere

Pizoxuat

30.06 is the section of Texas penal code that spells out what signage is required to prevent concealed carry in your business and the penalties for ignoring legal signage. Not quite the same as a "no shirt, no shoes, no service" sign since a sign that does not meet the requirements of the statute will not be enforced by the police. In other words, in Texas law you can't just ask someone who has a gun to leave because they have a gun. You have to have a very specific sign posted outside your door.

30.06 is the section of Texas penal code that spells out what signage is required to prevent concealed carry in your business and the penalties for ignoring legal signage. Not quite the same as a "no shirt, no shoes, no service" sign since a sign that does not meet the requirements of the statute will not be enforced by the police. In other words, in Texas law you can't just ask someone who has a gun to leave because they have a gun. You have to have a very specific sign posted outside your door.
No, when the signage isn't right you just go from an automatic trespassing charge for bringing in the gun to a trespassing charge for refusing to leave when the owner tells you to.

Zoe

No, when the signage isn't right you just go from an automatic trespassing charge for bringing in the gun to a trespassing charge for refusing to leave when the owner tells you to.

One of my political friends compared it to Don't Ask Don't Tell in that now there's a clearly defined process and penalty whereas before it had to be approached in a roundabout way with varying results.

Ekdrm2d1

Sorry to post in this thread again. My ranting was a lil too much yesterday.

I just went to a mental health clinic (MHMRA) here in Houston and their posted sign was the best ever! It was like 3' tall and covered both 30.06 and 30.07!

Wish I could post it without quotes.

D7N983N.gif

JZA

So if there's all these signs banning firearms, can people openly wear body armor in these areas without consequence? Always thought it was funny how wearing guns = ok in Texas, but wearing body armor around would probably be weird.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
6XHMEFl.gif

I like the cut of your jib.

Lol. That fricking gif makes me anxious every damn time I see it. Lol.

I don't think I will ever be comfortable being in a facility where someone is allowed to conceal carry, or open carry. It's not surprising that businesses are more interested in keeping their businesses appealing to the majority of non-gun owning consumers than placating gun owners.

Ekdrm2d1

There was a purse snatching at my local Kroger grocery store in Texas. 4 males over took a woman. They punched her.

On the neighborhood forum, Nextdoor, everybody is talking pro-gun. "Where is my CHL heroes! We need more guns! The lady should have been armed!"

If those 4 men had guns.. she could have been shot dead..

I find it disgusting. I totally want to argue with these people but they are my neighbors.

Told you.

Open carry just turns neutral parties against gun ownership as a whole. They see one buffoon with a rifle or pistol in starbucks and since they have little to no actual experience with firearms they shift their entire position to a negative. Can't blame em.

Or you have businesses that don't really give a shit one way or another if it's out of sight that have to make a business decision when their customers are freaked out at the 8 guys all carrying AR's/AK's on their backs "just because".

I wish open carry advocates would realize that they are NOT going to desensitize people to firearms in a positive manner like this. It only hurts the cause for which they claim to care about.

You and Mammoth man...

I pray for you all every day... talk about burning the candle at both ends. They won't even have to pretend its a wallet.. or.. NOTHING...

Brave fellows. I get it, its the principle. But.. considering the state of things in this country.. its going to be a while before exercising rights is the least of the issues.

I mean I'd never open carry. And I wouldn't want to carry concealed in NY anyways. It's just too crowded. Upstate maybe. But not when I'm commuting to NYC every day.

I disagree that being Black means I should stay far away from guns. When we have to give up the same rights White people enjoy every day we've officially lost. And cops are killing us when we unarmed any way. Not like not having a gun on us has done us any good.

There was a purse snatching at my local Kroger grocery store in Texas. 4 males over took a woman. They punched her.

On the neighborhood forum, Nextdoor, everybody is talking pro-gun. "Where is my CHL heroes! We need more guns! The lady should have been armed!"

I find it disgusting. I totally want to argue with these people but they are my neighbors.

I mean hypotheticals are dumb either way because we can just paint it to suit our perspective.

A gun could've helped or hurt her. Yup. Personally if I were in her position I'd like to have a gun rather than just be a victim getting punched by 4 men.

Iirc Kroger doesn't ban open carry, so chances are folks who were packing chose to not get involved, if this were a heb, a different story.

Ekdrm2d1

I mean hypotheticals are dumb either way because we can just paint it to suit our perspective.

A gun could've helped or hurt her. Yup. Personally if I were in her position I'd like to have a gun rather than just be a victim getting punched by 4 men.

I see we are never going to agree on this.

I see we are never going to agree on this.

Of course we're not. Welcome to life, lmao. It's ok to disagree with someone. Doesn't mean we're mortal enemies :)

All I can carry in NYC is pepper spray. I'm good with that until I'm not.

So true. Again, thoughts and good vibes out your way. But you are right. Doesn't even matter if its confused for a wallet, now its just open season regardless of objects.

Word. I mean back back back in the day it was a severe beating or death for a slave (w/o masters consent) or a freed black man to have a firearm or ammo in their possession.

Now you even look at a cop wrong and that's your ass.

Iorv3th

Whats disgusting is if nobody even tried to stop them or help her at all and let it happen, they didn't have to have guns to stop them.

Bleepey

Iirc Kroger doesn't ban open carry, so chances are folks who were packing chose to not get involved, if this were a heb, a different story.
If this is true, would you bring it up to your neighbours. The thing about open carry is that if there was a shooter, they'd be the first people to get an acute case of lead poisoning.

Fusebox

Banned
MJ you usually have good arguments but don't give us the "people are only concerned about seeing guns because they have no experience with guns" crap. Maybe it actually is their previous experience with guns and gun owners that lead them to feel that way.

MJ you usually have good arguments but don't give us the "people are only concerned about seeing guns because they have no experience with guns" crap. Maybe it actually is their previous experience with guns and gun owners that lead them to feel that way.

No, that's not what I'm saying at all. I'm saying open carry supporters THINK they are going to desensitize people and get them to get comfortable around guns by open carrying. That's not going to work. It's going to have the opposite effect.

I've said in the past I do NOT hold it against someone if they see someone w/ a rifle on their backs and they call the police. I've said in the past I'd do the exact same thing unless I saw them hauling a deer carcass w/ them to their truck or something. Other than that...yea 99.999% of the time I'd see that I'd call the cops and let them check it out.

I'm saying a dude open carrying is freaking people the fuck out. And that's understandable. I don't expect to see an AK in Starbucks.

Ogodei

The solution is obvious. Sue to strike sections 30.06 and .07. I can see the campaign with all-caps "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED" signs already.

I have a casual internet friend that I met on another forum.

He lives in Texas and is a gun zealot. Dude says he's boycotting any businesses that do this lol.

Walmart allows open carry, so he'll be sticking with them.

Pretty easy to boycott a place that legally prohibits you from entering.

I'm boycotting the lady's restroom!

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
If I see a neckbeard carrying a gun around I'm diving for cover. Good thing it's illegal here because that would be pretty awkward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom