• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Texas Gun Owners Worry That Open Carry Is Backfiring"

Status
Not open for further replies.

nillah

Banned
it would make people feel safe that it's a gun free zone and attract more customers

RV-robin-williams-28605473-600-400.jpg

entremet

What an insane law... What year is it? People are actually allowed to show their guns in public? So if an actual terrorist walked in with a gun no-one would bat an eyelid until it's too late?

Remind me to never visit Texas, nor America for that matter. The gun law in general is totally fucking nuts, thank goodness I'm English.

The US is incredibly diverse. It's also a huge place geographically. Texas has always had rather lax gun laws.

You cannot open carry in every state.

evilr

Banned
The US is incredibly diverse. It's also a huge place geographically. Texas has always had rather lax gun laws.
You cannot open carry in every state.

I find it insane you can buy a gun in general though, that stuff should never be made available to citizens.

Increasing defences increases offence. You are five times more likely to be killed by a gun in the states than in the UK.

We had a terrorist wielding a knife in the London Underground last year. He was tazered and he'll serve his time. In America, he'd of been riddled with bullets.

I love America and I do plan to live there once I graduate, but for fuck sake ban guns. It's shockingly medieval.

entremet

I find it insane you can buy a gun in general though, that stuff should never be made available to citizens.

Increasing defences increases offence. You are five times more likely to be killed by a gun in the states in the UK.

We had a terrorist wielding a knife in the London Underground last year. He was tazered and he'll serve his time. In America, he'd of been riddled with bullets.

I love America and I do plan to live there once I graduate, but for fuck sake ban guns. It's shockingly medieval.

It's not happening, dude. Half the country won't allow it.

Mael

Increasing defences increases offence. You are five times more likely to be killed by a gun in the states than in the UK.

We had a terrorist wielding a knife in France not even a week ago that was shot dead.
Not that you're wrong with your general point but not all situations are the same.

Bleepey

The irony is just too delicious. NRA members complaining about open carry making them more unsafe because of dickheads using it to antagonise and intimidate people. To add to it they thought it was a conspiracy theory by those opposed to the 2nd amendment to increase the number of gun free zones. What next, every time a liberal or conservative for that matter brings up Obamacare success stories it's just an excuse to bring in more tyrany.

Jay Sosa

I live in the Dallas area, and I can confirm this to be very true. I worked at this bank years ago when in college, and I was really taken aback by this HUGE sign posted on the door. At first I thought it was a public notice related to banking regulations or just an advertisement. FYI, they also have (had?) an rifle case in the lobby with about 4 civil war era rifles on display for decades.

21B31F73-8C1C-4678-B772-5BC3F133B97C.jpg

86ABDE36-A71F-4067-A572-E8AB2A8D49B3.jpg

I have noticed similarly large signs at car dealerships, restaurants, and stores. The are very noticeable.

Wait...

So without this sign it's perfectly legal to enter a bank..with a firearm?

That can't be right.

Pizoxuat

I find the bilingual signs weird.

Texas Republicans are all about "them furriners should learn English" unless requiring Spanish might make a sign banning guns easier to make a mistake on, rendering it no longer legally binding. Years ago they made it so that the sign banning firearms from government buildings had to be bilingual, with specific font sizes and some phases in specific colors. All in hopes of making it too hard to get the right sign on a courthouse.

Macam

Banned
Wait...

That can't be right.

Yes.

Open carry, while it varies by state, tend to be pretty wildly permissive. In Georgia, for you can take guns into airports and bars example, (see: https://news.vice.com/article/georgia-now-allows-guns-in-airports-and-bars). Texas now allows students to have concealed carry on public university campuses (despite heavy resistance from faculty, students, police, etc).

Political rallies or meetings? Not so much (surprise!).

Texas Republicans are all about "them furriners should learn English" unless requiring Spanish might make a sign banning guns easier to make a mistake on, rendering it no longer legally binding. Years ago they made it so that the sign banning firearms from government buildings had to be bilingual, with specific font sizes and some phases in specific colors. All in hopes of making it too hard to get the right sign on a courthouse.

Look at it in the mind's eye of the "free market" that says to me: "If you can offer a service that makes these signs and get them exactly right, there's money to be made there."

I guess that's what happened.

TylerD

I don't believe in guns. I stayed at that hotel during my brother's wedding. I was in awe of the beautiful building. It's a shame to know they support guns that's all.

I wonder how easy it is to get a gun license. It should be as hard as a Doctorate degree. You should go to school for 8 years in order to be a licensed gun owner.

You are being ridiculous.

mr2xxx

Banned
Wait...

That can't be right.

What bank doesn't want free armed guards? But yeah its dumb. Glad the free market is working out in this case. It makes sense, the average soccer mom doesn't want to take her kids inside a Starbucks with all these people with AR-15s strapped to their back.

Bleepey

Yes.

Open carry, while it varies by state, tend to be pretty wildly permissive. In Georgia, for you can take guns into airports and bars example, (see: https://news.vice.com/article/georgia-now-allows-guns-in-airports-and-bars). Texas now allows students to have concealed carry on public university campuses (despite heavy resistance from faculty, students, police, etc).

Political rallies or meetings? Not so much (surprise!).

Anti 2nd amendment types should argue for guns to be brought around republican lawmakers. Use their arguments against them and ask them why they don't trust their fellow citizens with guns.

AndyD

aka andydumi
What bank doesn't want free armed guards? But yeah its dumb. Glad the free market is working out in this case. It makes sense, the average soccer mom doesn't want to take her kids inside a Starbucks with all these people with AR-15s strapped to their back.

They aren't really free armed guards. It's a greater risk to have armed people around and their insurance probably asks them to bar guns entirely. It's not the wild west, we don't have robbers come in and kill everyone regularly.

Kenai

This is pretty great. Texas needs all the good news it can get.

With the way we (don't) do background checks or (don't) expect some form of training to have taken place before guns are acquired. people walking in with firearms are more likely to injure themselves or other innocent bystanders than a robber.

Hyun Sai

We had a terrorist wielding a knife in France not even a week ago that was shot dead.
Not that you're wrong with your general point but not all situations are the same.

You forgot the "wielding knife AND a suicide belt AND running at the police station screaming Alah Akhbar". He would have been shot anywhere, and even then the police gave him fair warning to stop before opening fire.

Yes but had that terrorist live in America the chances of him weilding a gun instead of a knife (and thus making his job of killing people or the easier and more efficient) would've been exponentially higher since they are so easy to get over there. Regardless of policemen tazing or shooting firearms.

Mael

You forgot the "wielding knife AND a suicide belt AND running at the police station screaming Alah Akhbar". He would have been shot anywhere, and even then the police gave him fair warning to stop before opening fire.

Well yeah.
I'm just saying his point of "only terrorists get shot in the US" is ridiculously wrong.
Sometimes when a cop shoots a guy it's the actual good response.
Granted, it's as common as a red moon but it still happens.

Rayis

Good, I hope it backfires and they revoke this stupid law, but who knows considering we have criminal troglodyte thugs running the state.

How unfair. Businesses can refuse to allow guns into their store, but gays are allowed to waltz right in and demand to be served like fellow human beings?

Hyun Sai

Well yeah.
I'm just saying his point of "only terrorists get shot in the US" is ridiculously wrong.
Sometimes when a cop shoots a guy it's the actual good response.
Granted, it's as common as a red moon but it still happens.

Yeah, you're right.

My point was, simply wielding a knife won't get you shot in France. In my town last week, 2 drivers went into an altercation wielding both machetes, the cop went between them and stopped it. Nobody was injured. Ok, the cop was at risk, but they're taught that is actually part of the job, and it's much easier without guns available everywhere.

commedieu

Banned
<--- Gun nut here.... Open carry is stupid.
I'm also Black so open carry is a quick ticket to death.

You and Mammoth man...

I pray for you all every day... talk about burning the candle at both ends. They won't even have to pretend its a wallet.. or.. NOTHING...

Brave fellows. I get it, its the principle. But.. considering the state of things in this country.. its going to be a while before exercising rights is the least of the issues.

Effnine

How unfair. Businesses can refuse to allow guns into their store, but gays are allowed to waltz right in and demand to be served like fellow human beings?

lol

So glad this is backfiring. I live in Texas and am surrounded by gun nuts (even at work). Loving the salt.

Mael

Yes but had that terrorist live in America the chances of him weilding a gun instead of a knife (and thus making his job of killing people or the easier and more efficient) would've been exponentially higher since they are so easy to get over there. Regardless of policemen tazing or shooting firearms.

To be frank, if that guy wanted a gun and was a hard boiled terrorist he would have had a gun as the previous attacks showed.
Of course if he had a gun it would have made a shitty situation even worse considering he harmed a policeman with 'just' a knife already.

Yeah, you're right.

My point was, simply wielding a knife won't get you shot in France. In my town last week, 2 drivers went into an altercation wielding both machetes, the cop went between them and stopped it. Nobody was injured. Ok, the cop was at risk, but they're taught that is actually part of the job, and it's much easier without guns available everywhere.
Absolutely no argument here.
We have more situations with people killing themselves in a car chase than we had of people dying at the hands of policemen.
A knife wielding madman won't get shot in Europe but it's doubtful a knife wielding terrorist wouldn't be.
In comparison cops in the US seems woefully undertrained to the point it's a wonder the population even trust them.
people dont gun kills, kills gun people

Wait wtf does that even mean?

Nosgotham

Go figure that people carrying rifles strapped across their back made people nervous and the businesses responded in kind.

At least Texas has laws pertaining to this sort of thing.

Why didn't you let people know what 30.06 and 30.07 actually mean OP?

rifles?

theres a lot of ignorance regarding this law in the thread and open carry in general. i suggest some people take the time to research it at least.

and had the terrost lived in texas, he would have had a very high chance of being stopped by a civilian. works both ways.
im not a gun nut, im not far right, i support open carry and it doesnt freak me out when i see someone with a hand gun on their belt. i own a shotgun, rifle and a handgun but ive never felt the need to get a CHL. still dont.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom