• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Texas Wildfires. My Home. Gone. My Parent's Home. Gone. My Uncle's Home. Gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
Thats shit luck. I hope you recover well from it. One of our San Antonio/Austin area drivers came down sick last night and had to quit early because of all the smoke around there.

Ydahs said:
Also, the pictures of the ducks brought a smile to my face. What a wonderful story. Did you make sure they were not hurt? No burns on their bodies?

The ducks were in amazing condition. Not a singed feather. I checked all 24 of their little webbed feet too (that's a duck's weakest spot) and there were no burns or injuries of any kind. Also, there was no labored breathing, which is another thing to watch out for with any bird. Their respiratory systems are always sensitive. It truly is baffling how they came out so seemingly unscathed.

Meier said:
Sorry man. :( Just terrible.. it's pretty surreal how much damage this thing has done and continues to do. I think the count is up to 800 homes in Bastrop.

At the presser I attended, the County Judge said they've counted 1400+ homes and are counting more... :(

JoeBoy101 said:
If you want to actually do something to protect yourself:

A) Take photos of all your stuff inside your house. You have no idea how hard it is to remember all your belongings with no reference points whatsoever after a house fire. This also holds true for theft or floods.

B) Put those photos and other precious documents in a fireproof box or safe. They work remarkably well, but make sure they can last burning for a good hour at least. If you think a possible fire could be worse (i.e., if there have been wildfires in your vacinity) use a safe deposit box.

C) Check to make sure the amount of insurance on your house will cover the entire value of your house and what the level of your personal loss account is. Does no good if you have extra room on your house insurance, but the personal loss coverage of that home owner's insurance is piddly.

Those are the three big prepatory things I learned from my fire. Luckily, I had B and C taken care of.

Great advice.

Jtwo said:
My post was just more to help the OP not take that thread title seriously, since it was coming from a madman and all.

Yeah, it was just a situation of me coming here for the first time since all this shit took place, wondering if there was already a thread before I started my own, doing a search, and that think being the first thing that popped up.

I don't really take it seriously.

LiquidMetal14 said:
What can I say that hasn't been said or crossed your minds. It's tough and I, like others, have been in similar dangers and happenings such as earthquakes. It's uncertain, tension filled, and scary. You have to make quick calls and question every one of them. What to take with you. Do you leave the PC's, electronics? Some of us have the luxury of pull trailers to load tons of stuff on but one cannot load all the furniture and such with a seemingly small window.

I should ask, how long would you say you had before you think the fire would have reached you? It's a hard question but were you so panicked that you just wanted to get to your parents? I would have got the vanity things and others that I know I like such as my expensive PC, a TV if I could (I own 2 nice ones), the PS3, my phone, necessities (of course). Too many things to list and what would one think if they saw a fire barreling their way? Panic and anxiety.

Impossible to tell how much time we had left. I do know that burning trees started falling in the road at some point not too long after we left that day, since that was one of the issues another neighbor had to deal with when trying to remove his horses.

And please don't say PS3 to me... I had just bought a replacement for my RLoD original which had been busted for a few months. I was just trying to finish LA Noire. Now I have no idea when Uncharted 3 and Resistance 3 is going to happen for me. :/

acksman said:
Damn been so busy needed a small break and I find this here.

Pristine, do you live out in Circle D area of Bastrop?

It looks like my Parents house and my brothers house are both gone as well. They live on Pine Tree Loop. We still have no word and they will not let them in.

I will probably heading down to Bastrop this weekend, if you need any supplies or anything. Just PM me please. I will shoot you one as well.

Sorry about the loss man :(

This post gave me chills.

I sent you a PM with my details. I just read yours. I know the area well. I'm praying for y'all.

Thanks for the offer of help. I'm making the same offer to you and yours. Hope you had better luck than we did.

cajunator

Banned
I was just looking at a map of Bastrop and I see a couple strange things:

What is that huge field that says "Luecke"?
Also what is that giant empty suburb looking area with no houses on it?

genericsuperhero said:
This must be devastating. You never know what you should do in situations like this until it's too late. Very sorry for your loss. But when I scrolled down to your ducks I smiled, and I hope that when you found them alive and well and waddling around like ducks should you smiled too.

What can I say? People like the ducks. GAF superstars.

dream said:
Holy shit, Pristine. I don't even know what to say right now. I'm just glad you're okay.

I hope you reconsider the Paypal thing, if only to be able to cover your essentials while you figure out where to go from here.

Plywood said:
My condolences Pristine, I hope you can get back on your feet and get everything back to as close as normal as soon as possible.

Bushfires/wildfires sound scary as hell.

PhoenixDark said:
Sorry for your loss Pristine, and I'm glad you and your family made it out safe. I was in Texas (Buna) a few months ago visiting family and was surprised at just how nice everyone was, including total strangers. That's not to say people here in Michigan are mean, but nearly everyone I ran across in Texan restaurants, stores, etc were extremely nice and it felt like some huge community. It sounds like neighbors and strangers alike have helped your family through this, and I'm not surprised. Seems like a great state.

StoOgE said:
Pristine, I said this in the college football thread. Let me know if you need anything, even if it's just a drink. I'm in central Austin.

Send me a pm I'll get you my cell.

Shit, man... ALL the NeoGAF riff-raff showed up in this thread. ;)

Thanks to all you guys.

Thanks for the Observer dream...but it looks funny on my computer. Like the formatting is messed up. ;)

Yeah. The kindness has been pretty surprising, PD. Just today, I was at Spec's (a big liquor store/deli chain) picking up some brews, and I was in my smoky clothes... This guy asked if I had been out there, and I told him my story. I went on shopping for a bit, and one of the guys that worked there went up to my aunt and asked him if I needed any clothes.

I met the guy. He was completely sweet. He told me he had a past shopping addiction and this would be a bit of a therapy for him to let go of some of his old stuff. It's that Texas thing, where you not only do something incredibly nice for someone, but you let the recipient of your kindness think he's doing you a favor.

I almost cried.

Thanks StoOge. I might take you up on that drinkie-poo sometime. Don't know what my College football watching situation will be as this transitional living arrangement goes on. Might need a place to watch a game, although I often go to this place called The Tavern anyway. I'm not sure if you are aware of it, but they have AIR CONDITIONING! :p

Neuromancer said:
When can we expect an update on the ducks?

Hopefully soon.

Subitai said:
We'll try to be extra entertaining in CFB-gaf.

You guys are doing just fine.

Alucrid

Banned
Damn man, that sucks so much. At least you and your family got out though, wildfires are fucking scary with how fast they can move and how unpredictable they are when they're like this. Good to see that the ducks are still there, though why haven't we had a thread about them sooner?

Tek

unreal about the ducks making it through that. Has to be gods will, definitely a scary situation for you to go through. Glad you and the people that you love are ok.

Keep your head up and thanks for the updates...hope the ducks are still ok.

More pics from Tues.:

20110909-m6aswyrwd55ucksyurs2dp3fwt.jpg

This was my parents' back deck. There was a hot tub in a cedar pagoda with a metal roof up there in the top left corner. All you can see now is the metal roof, now flat on the ground, and the plastic of the hot tub oozing out on the ground.

20110909-c67wfncxgyhuayaswbr4y5ecpu.jpg

That's my parents' house in the foreground, and my Dad's dream workshop in the back. It was always his dream to have a shop where he could work on building a dune buggy and doing woodworking when he retired.

When we approached, we noted some metal, that was once melted, flowing out of the building and across the ground, like a lava flow. It was aluminum that had melted from the engine block of his project car. That's how hot it was in there. 1400 degrees or something to melt aluminum? We can only assume the welding equipment probably had a lot to do with that exceptional heat.

Before and after:

20110909-xf6in95y5w86gq98ipphuyttc1.jpg

Before: This was the duck house I built from scratch this summer. (I cut cute little white windows in the walls later, not shown here)

20110909-x2gx1twtnss9xjwr7arcmun4xc.jpg

After: Well, at least I have an idea of how to build a new one someday...

20110909-kkcp396fnjj87ip6psj2xa6w94.jpg

The Texas flag that flew outside the entrance to my home. That round thing above was a lighted plate with my house number on it. Both were attached to that post.

If this image doesn't make you sad, you ain't cut out to be a Texan... I think I'm going to put it in a nice frame. Probably the only thing I'll keep.

Zertez

Sorry for your losses. We have had some pretty bad fires outside of Houston as well. Luckily my house wasnt in the line of the fire.

Sheesh, it looks like a war zone.
Breaks my heart for all of you, Pristine.

I'm honestly shocked at how many trees are still there. Did they just not burn down, or are they pretty much waiting for a breeze to knock them over?

daw840

Terrible.

Set up a paypal account, I'm sure we can get you back on your feet. That's one of the best things about GAF. We may all be douchebags in other threads, but when it comes to things like this everyone seems to band together.

Sydle

Central TX GAF here, live right outside of Austin and can see almost that exact view of downtown from my place. That huge wall of smoke was unreal. I was sad thinking of everything those people were going through.

Very sorry for your loss. Let me know if I can help out via donation.

Vyer

Man. Sorry to hear this pristine. I'm in Texas but not an area that was hit (so far). Glad your family (and the ducks!) are okay man.

MrFortyFive

I can't even imagine what you're going through. I'm so sorry for your losses, but at least everyone is safe and healthy. If some kind of paypal account or mailing address is set up I'd be happy to help out as much as I can.

Soon after I saw this thread earlier this morning I happened to stumble upon this video. I don't know if it's been posted yet but it might give some people here a little more perspective on how these fires move.

http://www.wimp.com/texaswildfires/

Terrifying. Utterly terrifying. I don't know what I would do if I saw this coming towards my house.

Cruzader

Banned
sorry to hear your loss man. I hope that everything works out for you and wish you the best of luck trying to get back into your life. This saddens me. Wish some of tense states could fight these fires to saves homes and people lime you more. Like a massive water system triggered from wild fires.

paparazzo

Gosh, that is horrible. I live in Houston and just heard about this recently. I wish you the best of luck and hope you land on your feet sooner rather than later. I'm hoping it doesn't make its way down this way.

Utako

Banned
Major, major condolences Pristine, and to the thousands who were affected.

I fret to think what may have happened if Governor Perry didn't have that prayer session. /'casm

Evening Musuko

Black Korea
Houston and (wrassleGAF) reporting. Major condolences, man. :( I'm not a praying guy, but I hope you and your family will be able to back on your feet.

Syracuse022 said:
[IMG/]http://i.imgur.com/pekZT.jpg[/IMG]
I was driving back from Austin to Houston on Monday - this is on 71, just before Bastrop - the road was closed a few hundred yards ahead. It was surreal to see the dark clouds of smoke and the flames that had to be a few stories high licking over the hills ahead as we drove closer (the weather in Austin had been perfect). At the same time, it made me proud to see Texans responding. Fire brigades were pouring in from all over the state as we continued to drive home and we spotted a few Chinook helicopters and planes attempting to fight the flames from on high. I'm so sorry for everything that's happened to you and your family Pristine.

Damn, I've been there several times. Very surreal seeing that.

San Antonio GAF here sir, Pristine I like many others in this thread am willing to lend a hand, anything if you need it, let us know.

Gaspode_T said:
Thanks for sharing your story. Don't beat yourself up over not grabbing anything, it's the right thing to do in that situation!

People don't know how traumatic this stuff can be, I would get professional counseling after things have calmed down.

Hell I would be happy if I got out with my Wife and pets, all the rest is replaceable (besides pictures.). Sorry to hear this has happened to you Pristine. You sound like you are someone who had their life together and knows what it takes to get back there. Good luck to you Duder!

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Sorry for you and your families loss. Like others in here if you need anything just let me know. I'm down in Houston and have several friends in Austin.

If someone sets up a paypal or something for him let me know.

Pristine_Condition said:
Oh, and one more thing. I did the Google search for "Texas Fire" before I posted this, to see if this was a topic yet. And I came across this.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=209405

That was the last thing I needed to see. Fuck you, krypt0nian.
Yea, not cool. Back when the wildfires started and the tornados were hitting the midwest there was a thread on gaf about Rick Perry asking Obama for help and many assholes on gaf said that Texas didnt need or deserve help because of Rick Perry and that the Tornados were a bigger deal, well the wildfires are still going...

Those people will probably only care when the price of their steaks go up.

ikkemenx

Unbelievable. Those most recent pictures are heart-wrenching :(. During the (ongoing) crises in Japan I remember suddenly feeling terrified of water and how destructive it can be. And now this...floods, fires, hurricanes, no stopping mother nature when she gets started.

Also interesting to see just how big the TexasGAF population is.

acksman

Hey man, I got your PM. Thanks.

It is looking like we may not be able to enter back to our area until next week. I guess they keep having flair ups near the power plant.

I found a mobile home for now and been looking for a a park to put it for now.

We still do not know if my Parents and Brothers homes are still there are not.

Have you guys been able to get back in there since the Fed's came in? It seems like they really locked it down.

Also, here is a ton of images. Be prepared, there is some dead animals :( dog and deer in a few images. It is just really sad.

http://galleries.statesman.com/gallery/wildfires-burn-across-central-texas/#

This is also the area where Pristine and my family live. A aerial shot from today.

tC12R.jpg

Zertez

dallow_bg said:
I had no idea. That's scary as hell.
We have been going through serious drought conditions in Texas for some time now, like a lot of the country unfortunately. With such dry material and a slight wind, it doesnt take long for a forest fire to scorch everything.

Hey guys. Quick update...with more DUCKS!

We had to sneak in again today, because the area was blocked. We hated to do it, but we had to get to the ducks to feed them. They were still all there, no predators had gotten ahold of them.

20110911-th68er8efpb3jm5ffikm4bp8b3.jpg

That's my house in the background. It was cool to the touch today.

20110911-p9bhp62ac7keaewjtc46wamq7x.jpg

I pulled up all the fence I could and remade a fence that will (hopefully) protect them a little better until we can finally get a vehicle into the area and take them out of there.

They were very happy to have feed delivered.

20110911-tgqmbua52a7ujpdjx7ymjge7qp.jpg

Here's that melted metal outside my Dad's shop I was telling y'all about...

Man, that's just plain freaky seeing that stream of metal running from his workshed.

Glad your ducks are doing just fine still, but don't get into serious trouble sneaking back in or anything! Don't want to be barred from getting in there again, period.

Absolutely terrible. Sorry, acksman.
It's crazy how the first photo almost looks like a photo of the forest until you see the bits from the house on the edge of the clearing.

What is with all of the trees not getting destroyed? It looks like some of them got burned pretty bad, but it's so weird how they're still standing afterwards.
Apparently trees are far more resilient than I give them credit for.

njean777

Houston Gaf here, sorry to hear about your loss, been smelling the fires everyday for the last week. Not to mention the haze. Hopefully everything turns out ok, at least you still have your lives.

Casp0r said:
Question ...

Can you not just get a chain saw and cut down every tree within 20 meters of your house and drag them away?

Is it possible to make like a buffer zone? Or something?

It takes a lot of time, effort, and equipment to make a fire barrier.

I've been following this thread, and I have no idea what to say.

Best of luck, man, this is bananas. I'm Florida-GAF, so I can't help... I'd offer rides and food if I could.

acksman said:
We found out today that both my Brothers and my Parents places were gone. Here is what was left.

Not much left:

Sorry to see that, acksman. I had a bad feeling you guys would be in the same boat as us after our PMs... That's so shitty.

My sorrow and my prayers go out to them.

acksman

Yeah, I just wish they would let us back in there so we can start cleaning up.

Some retired firefighter has been going house to house taking pictures and posting on Facebook. Kind of a sad way to find out, but its just stuff and I am glad everyone is safe.

acksman

Typographenia said:
Absolutely terrible. Sorry, acksman.
It's crazy how the first photo almost looks like a photo of the forest until you see the bits from the house on the edge of the clearing.

What is with all of the trees not getting destroyed? It looks like some of them got burned pretty bad, but it's so weird how they're still standing afterwards.
Apparently trees are far more resilient than I give them credit for.

Not quite sure, we had TONS of pine needles all around due to the dry season so that was just fuel.

The only thing I can think of is the Power Plant is about 2 blocks back from there, so there is a firebreak just after us and that may have been the line to keep the plant safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom