• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Texas Wildfires. My Home. Gone. My Parent's Home. Gone. My Uncle's Home. Gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
acksman said:
Yeah, I just wish they would let us back in there so we can start cleaning up.

Some retired firefighter has been going house to house taking pictures and posting on Facebook. Kind of a sad way to find out, but its just stuff and I am glad everyone is safe.

Don't know if you got this yet. Looks like we can go in soon.

http://www.co.bastrop.tx.us/uploads.../0911_Bastrop_RE_ENTRY_AREAS_DAY_09112011.pdf

Did you guys get your passes yet for your cars? Your parents/brother can go in with their vehicles and IDs down to Home Depot parking lot (I think after 10:00AM) and pick up documents that will let them pass into the restricted zones. It takes about 5 minutes.

Note: it's in the parking lot, not the usually LOOOONG line that'll form around the side of the building where they are handing out supplies.

Also, heed the warnings about going in. If you are going to be picking around in the ashes, you need a twin-cartridge respirator. Because remember, all the chemicals you had for cleaning, killing bugs ect, are now in the fine ash floating around. If you had fluorescent lights, the mercury is now in those ashes. Lead, ect. Be careful now, so you don't get sick years from now.

Good luck. We are going back in (legally) tomorrow.

acksman

I'm in Bastrop now. We went in today. If I wasn't so dang tired from FEMA, Insurance, and general run around today I would post a few more images.

Needless to say it looks like a bomb was dropped on our place.

I said as much in the college football thread, but my thoughts are with you, Pristine. I don't even really know you beyond the college football thread but I think these kinds of things are universal. Keep your head up and stay strong. Or as we Trojans say: "Fight On!" my best to your family.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'm so sorry dude. I'm amazed about your ducks, though. I wish their experience got recorded somehow, hah. I'm really curious about how they made it out alive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom