• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TF2 Engineer update incoming?

Proven

MrNyarlathotep said:
Changed my mind, because I used gunslinger + FJ on some KOTH maps and did amazingly well by repeatedly dropping miniturrets near the CP.

Regular CP and PL maps I'll still probably be using the standard turrets though.

At the very least, the thing is an assist machine. I'll get 20-40 Frontier crits per round with it if I can get into the middle of the action.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Am I the only one not liking the new payload race (no not the regular payload one).

Everyone's camping, barely moving forward XD

Proven

Ookami-kun said:
Am I the only one not liking the new payload race (no not the regular payload one).

When everyone is moving, like it was last night in the GAF server, it's really really great.

However, on days like during the Engineer update, people will just camp the slope with sentries and then nothing happens and nobody wins.

So, extra points for the GAF server.

I wonder if you'll be able to use Mad Milk halving the damage you take to run the intelligence out past a sentry nest. If using it causes you to drop the intel, then it's like a more useless Bonk Atomic Punch.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Ookami-kun said:

Hightower? I LOVE HIGHTOWER :D

Much much better then Pipeline IMO. I love how its hell to get over that hill (Though I still think it was supposed to be problematic getting though the middle, which never seems to be the case)

nothing happens and nobody wins.
Can it even reach a stalemate? I don't think the map ends even at the end of the server timer.

Boss Doggie

I like the lift part - almost no one finishes the game XD

I guess my main problem isn't the maps themselves but rather the mechanic. There SHOULD be a time limit for payload race!

Um, OK, so I'm about to try jumping into TF2 for the first time. Total noob re. tactical online FPS's. Any virgin-tips so I can avoid stinking the place up?

Holepunch

B-B-Bomba! said:
Um, OK, so I'm about to try jumping into TF2 for the first time. Total noob re. tactical online FPS's. Any virgin-tips so I can avoid stinking the place up?

Start with Soldier. He's arguably the most versatile class in the game and while it's relatively easy to blow people up he has a high skill ceiling so you could always learn to be better. Heavy is also relatively easy to play but you don't really learn anything while playing him, except maybe where to watch for snipers and how to be situationally aware so you don't get backstabbed by a spy. When you start getting comfortable with a class start working on another one. Work your way down. If you don't like a class, try something else.

Some more general chips off the top of my head.

~Go into Options and enable Quickswitch and Console. Quickswitch makes it so it doesn't bring up a menu when you're switching weapons, and because the way TF2 is designed with every weapon in it's own catagory you don't need it.

~On the server browser, disable showmaps and click the ping button to search by ping. A low ping makes the game less laggy for you and should probably be your first priority in server selection.

~Avoid Instantrespawn and fastrespawn servers if you can. You could play them starting out but when everyone respawns instantly no one is dead long enough for anyone to complete an objective. It turns the game into a grindy deathmatch.

~Don't neglect your secondary. If you run out rockets trying to kill someone as a Soldier, switch to shotgun rather than trying to slowly reload. Reload on your down time.

~Eventually you're going to want to play Spy and Sniper. That's fine, they're fun but hard classes to learn. Please for the sake of your team don't be a spy or sniper if there are already 2 on your team.

~HAVE FUN! It is a game after all. If you're not having fun maybe switch classes, switch servers or just go take a break.

Donos

Medic is good for a start. You can help your team and simultaneously see where you have to go and what the sweet spots are.
Also Pyro is rather easy to start with.

Boss Doggie

Well, a new Medic is really flimsy since a Medic requires you to be active a lot and not be a personal doctor of Heavy.

Pyro... I think needs to learn how to airblast.

Top Bottom