• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TFS DragonBall Z Abridged

Ok GAF don't freak on me but I never had the chance to watch DBZ growing up because I didn't have cable. I absolutely love this parody series. I know they have recently come out with a new abridged version. Should I watch it?

The_Inquisitor said:
Ok GAF don't freak on me but I never had the chance to watch DBZ growing up because I didn't have cable. I absolutely love this parody series. I know they have recently come out with a new abridged version. Should I watch it?
You don't really need to watch the actual series. The novelty of DBZ wore off so very long ago.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Yugioh Abridged has really funny moments that make it worth watching, but it's mostly referential humor and jokes that are otherwise beat into the ground.

If I wanted to be insulting, I could call it the Family Guy of abridged shows. ;)

Apath

The_Inquisitor said:
What made Dragonball Z awesome was growing up with it. Now all that holds it together is nostalgia, or if you like indulging in some stupid action every so often. I'm making my way through Kai and it's actually kind of painful seeing what the series is actually like compared to my impressions of it as a kid. Can't even begin to think about sitting through the original series and having to endure 10 minutes of watching reaction shots, showing the scene, showing it from a different angle, more reaction shots, and then some more of showing the scene (they literally did this at least once every episode).

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Ferga said:
D= How can you do that!
Through the miracle of modern video playback technology.

Ferga said:
I thought DBZ was the best anime ever when i was little and i think i can still call it that.
Only if you've never seen anything since. You don't even need to look far, as Dragonball is better.

Kai is even better since it doesnt have fillers
But now with pan, scan, and censorship!

yeah, forgot to post my views about ep 12 but come on. I don't understand why they clearly and completely lifted 2 characters from another series (flargen and dingle from athf). I know they're obviously using someone else's source material, but I thought they would continue to capitalize on their ability to make completely new characters to drive the funny of the show. (e.g. Nappa) but I'll keep an open mind and check out the new one. I can't wait to see their take on Frieza.

Rorschach said:
It was almost nothing but ATHF and Futurama references. :\

Oh goddamn it. This is the same fuckery that ruined YGO Abridged. Just make fun of the fucking show, don't make up your own meta-subplots about memes and references that will be painfully dated within in a few months.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
lunarworks said:
Even so, it's still awesome.

I HOPE Akira Toriyama has seen it. The guy's got a sense of humour, so he's gotta appreciate it.
You think its remotely possible that Akira Toriyama has watched this? The guy who doesn't even care about Dragonball anymore and doesn't even remember most of characters he wrote about? And you hope he's seen an illegal fandub of Toei's anime adaption in a language he can't understand, comprised of jokes he definitely doesn't understand?

If Toriyama ever randomly encountered this parody, chances are he wouldn't know what he was watching and would probably just forward it to his agent, which would just result in Toei's legal department going after TFS again. If that.

grandjedi6 said:
You think its remotely possible that Akira Toriyama has watched this? The guy who doesn't even care about Dragonball anymore and doesn't even remember most of characters he wrote about? And you hope he's seen an illegal fandub of Toei's anime adaption in a language he can't understand, comprised of jokes he definitely doesn't understand?

If Toriyama ever randomly encountered this parody, chances are he wouldn't know what he was watching and would probably just forward it to his agent, which would just result in Toei's legal department going after TFS again. If that.
that dude can hope if he wants to. people can do a thing called translation. akira also supervised the recent dragonball online game.

grandjedi6 said:
The guy started out doing parodies, practically. He's even parodied his own stuff. I'm sure, given that he's already made his millions off Dragon Ball (which ended two decades ago), he'd appreciate someone else taking a jab at his stuff.

Pachinko

Yeah episode 14 they seem to have hit a bit of a stride, hopefully it continues. So far season 1 abridged was better but they had easier to parody material if you ask me.

jman2050

Dodoria owns so so much

Namek: You... You killed my son!

Dodoria: Yeah, sorry about that, how about I do you a favor

*Teleports, kills him*

Dodoria: There, now you won't miss him

AniHawk

"The start button. The start button. Don't press: the start button. The start button."

"Sweetie, I don't see a sandwich with that beer."

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
I forgot about this series and happened to see that they started up season 2. Holy crap I love it.

Top Bottom