• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

That game where one hour turns into ten

h0tp0ck3t

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
I used to fire it up and say something to myself like oh I just need to do one or two quests and buy some ammo. Then I look at the clock at its been 3 hours lol

I knew it'd be Civ before I even opened the thread. This game seriously kills my sleep habits.

I played. 12. hours. yesterday. It was bad.

Monster Hunter and Elite Dangerous are very much this for me. I have to be very careful when I play so they won't eat up all my time.

SomTervo

this is called immersion. if a game captivates you, the game did it right.

I dunno, I think there's a difference between immersion and addictiveness.

Like Rocket League isn't immersive at all but it's addictive as fuck.

Anything immersive is addictive but not everything addictive is immersive, I'd say. Edit: wait, that's not true either. They're just different things :p

This is currently happening to me while I play The Witcher 3. I intend to progress the main quest but I end up riding Roach around the countryside killing monsters and bandits, and solving all kinds of problems for the locals.

Hobbes211

This is currently happening to me while I play The Witcher 3. I intend to progress the main quest but I end up riding Roach around the countryside killing monsters and bandits, and solving all kinds of problems for the locals.

Don't worry, that'll dry up soon. I sunk 60 hours into the Witcher 3 before getting into Skellige and once I arrived there and realized I probably had double that to go in the next areas I dropped the game immediately. I did every side quest and visited every map marker before leaving and I wish now that I didn't. It really kills the game.

I actually had the opposite happen, where Steam tells me I played Total War Warhammer for less than two hours, when I remember losing at least a few days to it.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I did that with Watch_Dogs the other night on my Wii U. I'm not even particularly into Open World games, I was just really enjoying unlocking all the ctOS stations. Some really clever puzzles tucked in there.

hughesta

Banned
Xenoblade Chronicles X did this to me in a real bad way. I had to stop and sell it because I wasn't able to get anything done. Incredible game.

Helscream

Banned
Currently I am playing Divinity: Original Sin and really enjoy the game. Played it for like 11 straight yesterday. Maybe took a hour break for food, but thats about it.

xVodevil

Diablo 2 and Battlefield 2, those were the best games turning evenings into dawn :) Also back then PES, now FIFA can also easily do this.

ghostjoke

Banned
4X games. Civ is the worst for this because of how it travels through the wealth of human history and has no set path. CK2 is a close second when you get embroiled in large scale conspiracies on your quest to reach the top.

City Builders and the like. Doesn't matter if it's a city, a skyscraper, the life and times of virtual people, or a a golf course, days will be lost.

RPGs and the like at least have natural stopping off points (complete a quest/reach a location) but open ended games where stories unravel solely from gameplay mechanics interacting are time sinks (and I love them).

daveo42

Banned
MMOs in general for me. I sunk so much time into FFXI, FFXIV, GW2, SWTOR and was easily able to keep playing for hours and hours on end. MMOs are real bad for me. That's why I stopped playing them. Otherwise I wouldn't sleep, wouldn't play any other games, and wouldn't have any kind of social life.

soco

Sid Meier's Civilization has to be the worst culprit.

1000x this. I refuse to even play the game because it happens every single time.

Pretty sure it's the constant upgrades, new places to explore, and new things to produce just around the corner. Everytime you set a stopping goal, you just need to explore one other thing.

rdaneel72

I would also say, Monster Hunter.

My obsession with MH4U has been recently re-kindled. After months of beating my head against Dalamadur, some kindly randoms online finally helped me beat him, and unlock G-rank.

There is a whole lot of game left to play!!!

So, these last couple of weeks, I've been playing for "about an hour" each night before bed.

Yadda-Yadda-Yadda, I've been really tired, lately.

King Al B

Recently Xenoblade X, love the exploration and side questing. I have also done that with Zelda games, start one up and before i know it i finished half the game.

Im scared to start a Civilization game, but if i did, can i just jump in at 6?

BigEmil

Nioh beta got me so hooked was planning to do one hour a day then turns four hours a day till beta's gone

Top Bottom