• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 100 Hardest Video-Game Bosses, Ranked

entremet

Last week, Destiny 2, a highly anticipated online shooter that's best played with friends, raised the curtain on a mystery it had been teasing for weeks leading up to the game's early September release: the Leviathan. That's the name of the game's marquee Raid, a massive, sprawling level that explains almost nothing about how to beat it, and requires teamwork among six players to solve its riddles and take down whatever boss lies at the end. It's both Destiny 2's biggest challenge and mystery, and for the past week the game's community of players has been racing to square off with Leviathan's mysterious boss, six people at a time.

Until somewhat recently, it seemed as if the concept of the video-game boss was on its last legs. Bosses were effectively bottlenecks at a time where games were expanding. Open-world and online games flourished, player choice became paramount, and boss fights in games that felt otherwise wide open — like the notoriously underwhelming boss confrontations in otherwise acclaimed games such as Bioshock or Deus Ex: Human Revolution — ended up feeling like dead weight.

http://www.vulture.com/article/100-hardest-video-game-bosses-ranked.html

List in the link. Not just a list, tons of reading too. This is how you do lists. I love the inclusion of the Top Gun NES aircraft carrier landing as a Boss lol.

My personal top Top 3

1. O&S Solo (Dark Souls)
2. Alma (Ninja Gaiden Black)
3. Old King Allant (Demon's Souls)

What's your top three and what do you think of the list?

Is Hegel from Nier: Automata there? Because that fucker made me turn the difficulty down to easy. What an absolute mess of a boss battle that was.

Mind you, I'm probably underleveled due to skipping all the side quests from Route B onwards.

Nameless King No.3?

Is this a joke?

My No.1 pick would be Flamelurker and Maneater solo on your first playthrough, especially if Demon's Souls is your first Souls game.

Good call on Flamelurker. I had to resort to an environmental exploit in order to beat him.

Shadow of Yharnam on the other hand I beat first time. Pretty shocked that one made the list.

Destiny 2 Leviathan Spoilers

Is the dogs boss fight on there? Because that is one of the hardest/bullshit boss encounters I have ever done (still haven't beat it).

RockmanBN

Eh. KH2 Sephiroth is #8 over Lingering Will at #24? Sephiroth wasn't even that difficult. I'd place a few of the data fights over him.

My single greatest gaming achievement, killing Smough and Ornstein on first attempt with no summons, and I was very aware of their reputation going in, I couldn't believe it.

Then Four Kings took me about 30 attempts...

hqdefault.jpg

Nope.

Eggbok

Alma? I guess it's because I have played Ninja Gaiden to death and it's my favorite game series but Alma is easy as shit lol.

Kinsei

Banned
So many easy bosses on that list. KH2 Sephiroth doesn;t deserve to be anywhere on a list of hardest video game bosses let alone above Lingering Will or anything from the Souls games.

No Monster Hunter bosses on there is disappointing. Gen 2 G rank Tigrex is one of the hardest bosses gaming has to offer.

entremet

My single greatest gaming achievement, killing Smough and Ornstein on first attempt with no summons, and I was very aware of their reputation going in, I couldn't believe it.

Then Four Kings took me about 30 attempts...

Really? Four Kings get crazy on NG+. What a jump from the regular game.

Was wondering how far from the top I'd need to go to get to one I'd done, and then I saw Skolas with Arc Burn and was like, yup. Would have replaced Shadow of Yharnam with Ebrietas personally for Bloodborne.

Woorloog

Banned
lol, Benezia from Mass Effect makes to the list? What the hell? Is the player completely helpless?
The only reason the fight is difficult is the goddamn frame rate. But otherwise? It is no problem whatsoever.

There a bunch of other rather questionable choices as well...

EDIT One odd omission is Halo 2's final boss, Tartarus. It is a difficult fight on Legendary, though that is arguably a reason not to list it, it is no trouble on lower difficulties.

They must not have played the Dark Souls III DLC because Sister Friede is harder than Nameless King.

They got the right Nioh boss from the base game, though. Yuki-Onna destroyed me.

I wouldn't even put the Shadow of Yharnam in my top 10 hardest bosses in Bloodborne.

It probably isn't technically a 'boss' but the Bloody Crow of Cainhurst is the hardest thing in that entire game outside of Orphan of Kos.

If MMO bosses count (since they have C'thun at No. 2) then I'd think the top ranks would all be WoW bosses. The crazy amount of effort, skill, practice, gear, patience and above all, number of people needed to tackle the hardest difficulties is pretty crazy. I don't really have end-game raiding experience in other MMOs but I'm sure there are plenty of crazy encounters in those too.

Also, this list has a glaring lack of SNK bosses. Those who have played the older King of Fighters games know what I'm talking about...

Maneater being at 41 is WAY too low

Fuck maneater

Maneater is the one fight that was unfair on Demon's Souls for me, because it glitched out until I reset the game. Basically, whenever I got knocked down, they were still able to hit me while I was on the floor for whatever reason.

But KH 2 Sephiroth at 8?! Did they mean to type 80 there?

Alma isn't hard. I think Awakened Alma is harder.

When it comes to 6th gen Ninja games, nothing in Ninja Gaiden comes close to Hiruko in Shinobi PS2.

CHC

Fun list. It's really hard to give a number to difficulty since there are just so many factors to difficulty, but whatever the order, it's kind of a nostalgic trip reading through this.

Crayolan

our rank factored in each enemy’s overall difficulty, the novelty of their fight mechanics, and their influence on subsequent games. Most important, however, was how vividly they lingered in our minds.

Why'd they title the list "hardest bosses" instead of "Our top 100 favorite/best/most influential bosses" then? Several of the fights listed are not even the toughest encounters in their respective games.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
I laughed at the inclusion of TTFAF from Guitar Hero 3, but still, shit awful list. Just re-name it '100 boss fights I remember'.

Very meh list that completely forgets about MMO bosses where you'd need to coordinate dozens of people with very specific equipment and builds for HOURS without mistake to get a CHANCE to win. The fact a Destiny boss wins this list must be some kind of joke tbh. Many other questionable choices tbh especially from FPS games; Crawmerax from Borderlands (not hard if you're properly equipped, it seems hard at first because you're underpowered), the Cyberdemon from Doom 2016 (not even the hardest boss in the game and not particularly hard on its own), Mothrakk from Borderlands again (besides the long healthbar had nothing going for it tbh), Hitler from Wolf3D (why is this considered difficult again?) and General Raam from Gears Of War, (difficult-ish per se but only because horrible design, once you understand the twisted rules in it it becomes super easy). It's like they took some of the most well-known games and randomly threw their bosses in the blender.

One boss that made me ragequit hard has to be the boss from Clustertruck. Oh, so you're having trouble moving at lightspeed moving between trucks moving in a circle with fairly irregular patterns and tons of crashes. Then you'll be delighted having to climb the boss in a timed section with questionable hitboxes. You did it? How about doing it twice more with even harsher traffic which can totally screw your run because it's not always identical? That shit right there is harder than at least half of this list tbh.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Senator Armstrong needs to be higher on that list.

That guys was a pain in the ass.

But that theme, so good.

Apdiddy

Flamelurker at #7 is unusual. I've never had a problem with him because he will stupidly run towards and attack thin air in a corner, then never realize I'm attacking him.

Egida

Neo Member
That fire Dog in the cursed chalice in Bloodborne. The bastard one-hit-killed me so many times.

Flamelurker is not that bad, but the path to him was a pain in the ass, which added to the tension, and I killed the Nameless King playing remote play on Vita lol.

And technically not a boss, but just a few days ago I was remembering with a friend our first fight against a Nargacuga on MH Unite, still with HR5 equipment. Yeah, there were tears and pain.

Nameless King No.3?

Is this a joke?

My No.1 pick would be Flamelurker and Maneater solo on your first playthrough, especially if Demon's Souls is your first Souls game.

Nameless King is only stupid because of the fight against the camera, I mean King of Storms, that you have to suffer through before you get to the fun part. If you don't have a weapon that can stun King of Storms, you'll be fighting NK with half of your Estus gone most times. Nameless King himself is fairly straightforward circle strafe and attack when he stops business.

Flamelurker is a weird one for me. I beat him on my first time fairly comfortably, but I could feel that I was getting lucky. It definitely felt like it could be a really tough fight, but the Souls gods looked down on me that day. Demon's Souls was my first Souls game, too.

Veedot

List completely disrespects devil may cry. Also wheres that final boss from shinobi ps2 and rodin in bayo 1?

Top Bottom