• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 20 most bike-friendly cities in the world

antibolo

Banned
Montrealer here.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA no way this city is deserving to be in that top 20, not even in last place. Cyclists are treated like garbage here.

I guess they really wanted at least one North American city in there or something, so they used #20 as a consolation prize.

I live in the Southern part of the Netherlands. We got paved bicycle lanes running parallel to every road, and I mean every road. Often on both sides. And they are painted red, so they stand out from the road, and are well lit. My town is situated between Belgium and Germany. As soon as you enter one of these countries the bicycle paths end. You'll only encounter some sort of poorly maintained paths haphazardly, which is a shame, there is so much to see and enjoy.

I'm pretty sure the Netherlands in its entirety is cyclist friendly. I can leave my town, and find a cycle path taking me to every nearby city or town. And from there, it just goes on. I could literally bike the ~200km from my town to Amsterdam.

I remember going to Warsaw one time. A friend convinced me to go for a bike ride with her. I ended up riding on a small strip beside fast driving traffic, at the mercy of said traffic (read: cars), scary stuff.

I hope one day, the whole of the EU is interconnected with bicycle lanes. An EU-citizen should have the freedom to ride his/her bike from Amsterdam to Paris.

EDIT TIL: that there's a movement/organization pursuing a continent wide network of cycle lanes: it's called EuroVelo.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Montrealer here.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA no way this city is deserving to be in that top 20, not even in last place. Cyclists are treated like garbage here.

I guess they really wanted at least one North American city in there or something, so they used #20 as a consolation prize.

Montrealer here too. Care to elaborate? I find it fairly cyclist-friendly for a big city.

YourMaster

I'm surprised that the Netherlands doesn't sweep the entire list.

Like I mentioned on the previous page, it's because it's not about being bike-friedly at all, it's about being an international bike-ambassador and spending lots of money. Foreigners can't even name 20 dutch cities.

A mid-size dutch city which completed its bicycle infrastructure years ago and is functioning perfectly has 0 chance to make the list. You need expensive projects with international allure to count.
And bike sharing also gives you points, which in the Netherlands makes 0 sense as there are more bikes than people.

My God, it's like stroller parking at Disney!

You should see the bicycle storage. There are no pictures that can show it all. Whenever you park your bike somewhere not allowed, the city might take it away. This happens by the truckloads. You can pick your bike at storage. Hundreds of thousands of bikes and you get yours back within ten minutes by just saying where you parked it, and what it looks like.
fietsdepot-lots-of-bikes.jpg
csm_fietsdepot_fietsen_stalling_LK_312_434adecb4b.jpg

Top Bottom