• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 20 Worst Packaged Foods in America

Status
Not open for further replies.
While I have never heard of Mr. P's, it looks like a competitor to 99 cent Totino's Party Pizzas, not to Digiornos.

Although while talking about Digiornos, I had their meatball marinara pizza recently and it was disgusting. It tasted exactly like a meatball Hotpocket.

Ha, that sounds nasty. Even as a teenager, I thought pizza rolls and hot pockets were gross.

But yea, Mr. P's is a totino's knockoff. Still prepackaged food, so it counts dammit!

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
The only thing I've had on that list is the AriZona drink. It's been a while but shit it's delicious lol

black_13

Banned
Holy fuck at Twix! I used to eat ALOT of twix back in high school. No wonder I got so fat!

And I would eat twix over Mars as two sticks of Twix had led calories than one bar of Mars. Now I see the trans fat more than made up for that.

Haven't had it for more than 2 years now. Once you eat dark chocolate, all other chocolate tastes too sweet now. Even now I only eat about one square of dark a day.

Davey Cakes

I don't think I've eaten anything on that list except for Twix. At one point I may have had the Haagen Dazs peanut butter ice cream but I'm not sure.

Just recently I had Haagen Dazs Rum Raisin, Coconut Pineapple, and Espresso Chip flavors. I don't even look at the nutrition labels. Their ice cream is so rich that a single scoop's worth (or less, even) is satisfying. Some ice creams aren't fulfilling without 2-3 scoop's worth, IMO.

mollipen

I don't really see straight edgers going into every alcohol/drugs thread trying to make themselves feel better about their personal choice though. It's unfair to straight edgers!

Protip: Thanks Captain No One Asked.

But this is a thread about how terrible pre-packaged food can be. Is this not a perfectly appropriate place for saying that?

I grew up on stuff like this, but now avoid it as much as possible. I wouldn't insult anybody who does eat pre-packaged food along these lines, but I think it's definitely a life change that you'll feel good about if you do it.

MormaPope

Banned
Who cares about the worst food nutritionally, and I mean that in the way that we all have the ability to read the nutrition label and find out all those values.

I was expecting this article to be about the worst tasting, utter shit that gets sold.

Stuff like this:

banquetgiveaway-300x217.jpg

90 cent meals that are completely inedible, Banquet is one of the worst brand names when it comes to food.

Give me a fucking break. All the sensationalist "Don't eat this! YOU WILL DIE" bullshit needs to end. Maybe get off your ass and exercise at least a minimal amount and eat whatever you want. No shit if you eat this crap at every meal you'll feel horrible, but an occasional frozen pizza or shamrock shake isn't going to kill you.

SKINNER!

Banned
Who cares about the worst food nutritionally, and I mean that in the way that we all have the ability to read the nutrition label and find out all those values.

I was expecting this article to be about the worst tasting, utter shit that gets sold.

Stuff like this:

banquetgiveaway-300x217.jpg

90 cent meals that are completely inedible, Banquet is one of the worst brand names when it comes to food.

Yeah, I thought this thread was going to be about the 20 worst tasting packaged meals. Surprised not to see this in the thread so far.

AIxGl8U.jpg

That peanut butter chocolate ice cream is so fucking good.
And well no shit that it's bad for you but I'm not downing a pint of ice cream a day or even a month.

You can enjoy shit food without much detriment to your health. You don't have to micro manage every little thing in your diet to be healthy.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Thought this was about packaging too, but I love this types of lists. Gives me a nice shopping list for foods to try out. That pot pie sounds delicious.

There's a fantastic book series that does nothing but this called Eat This, Not That. My parents keep the fast food/chain restaurant versions in the car for road trips, they tell you the best and worst things to eat at each place with detailed breakdowns of calories, sodium, fat and specifically why they're bad.

There's a fantastic book series that does nothing but this called Eat This, Not That. My parents keep the fast food/chain restaurant versions in the car for road trips, they tell you the best and worst things to eat at each place with detailed breakdowns of calories, sodium, fat and specifically why they're bad.
The fast food recommendations are actually pretty good.

That peanut butter chocolate ice cream is so fucking good.
And well no shit that it's bad for you but I'm not downing a pint of ice cream a day or even a month.

You can enjoy shit food without much detriment to your health. You don't have to micro manage every little thing in your diet to be healthy.

Gonna go eat a twix.

Here lies PigSpeakers. Loved by himself. Died eating a Twix bar.

This book series is a highly entertaining and educational read. It covers pretty much everything out there, including everything mentioned in this thread so far.

A1D930A4-3BE1-42C2-BA0B-8C746BC48A9B-1969-00000561E1A7A214.jpg

pizza1.jpg

mavs

That Marie Callender's pot pie is perfectly safe. They could put arsenic in it and it'd still be safe, because that shit is totally inedible.

I used to eat a Twix bar almost every day in high school out of our "snack closet" where they sold candy for like 50 cents. And somehow, I weighed less then than I do now. :(

The thing about having a buying guide like that in book form is the contents of these meals can change for various reasons*. It seems like an idea better suited for a website (and there are various databases of nutrition out there). Unless there is a website form too...

*-A while ago here in the UK there was this idea of having traffic light nutrition labeling on the packaging (so high content is labeled red). A few retailers bothered and they tried getting foods on the border of red or amber into lower and sometimes the trade-off wasn't worth it from a taste perspective. They also noticed consumer buying habits changed as a result of the labeling.

User 406

Banned
pizza1.jpg

That Palermo's Primo Thin on the upper left deserves its spot, but not due to any health concerns, it's just a really good tasty pizza. Used to get it all the time before I started making my own regularly.

And Twix rox.

Hero

The thing about having a buying guide like that in book form is the contents of these meals can change for various reasons*. It seems like an idea better suited for a website (and there are various databases of nutrition out there). Unless there is a website form too...

*-A while ago here in the UK there was this idea of having traffic light nutrition labeling on the packaging (so high content is labeled red). A few retailers bothered and they tried getting foods on the border of red or amber into lower and sometimes the trade-off wasn't worth it from a taste perspective. They also noticed consumer buying habits changed as a result of the labeling.

There is a website. http://eatthis.menshealth.com/home

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom