• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 22 Unwritten Rules of TV Spoilers You're Probably Breaking

Aiii

So not worth it
To be fair, saying the series shows his death in season whatever IS a spoiler.

I know the dude got killed but to discover WHEN that would happen if was on season 1 or 32 is the spoiler

Yep, it took a lot of the suspense out of that episode of that season, because I was spoiled it was happening in that episode, for me.

Of course you know based on history that something is going to happen a certain way, but that doesn't mean you can't be spoiled on the when or even the exact how in a TV show or movie, still.

I mean, sometimes I'll watch something based on historical or real events that I only know vaguely about or purposely don't look up anything about before I watch a dramatization, so you could still get spoiled even despite something being historical fact, as well.

Either way, I agree that it's not a spoiler to state that certain events, like Escobar's death are a thing that happened. But I do consider "Escobar will die this season/in episode X this season" a spoiler for the show.

Okay but by your own logic this reply to your post right now could have been a summary of everything you're about to watch in your GOT marathon this weekend and you'd be okay with that?

No, becuse 99% of people don't troll with spoilers and are decent people. If I clock a spoiler I'm not going to cry about it, blame someone and claim I'm not going to watch it because now it's been spoiled. #notamillenial

Plum

So, presumably he was talking with a friend about the episode they both watched? He has to consider strangers now when he talks popular culture with his friends? Seems odd to me.

What's easier?

1) Lowering your damn voice a little

2) Becoming a hermit and forgoing all responsibilities whenever a big show just aired that you haven't been able to see yet

flkraven

Lol, half of these suck. I'm the type of person that doesn't like to be spoiled, but I'm not a fucking idiot about it. Generally if I stumble upon a spoiler online, I blame myself, so I don't really buy into this 'spoiler' culture. But wtf are these about:

4. Wait at least three hours before publicly discussing any unexpected moments that aren't technically twists (e.g., [Person] finally [did a thing] we saw coming!)

5. Wait a minimum of 10 days after "binge" shows drop to casually discuss spoilers

Your less marathon-inclined friends deserve time to sample the all-at-once series at their leisure. More specifically, they deserve two weekends: from that debut Friday to the following Sunday.

7. Anything that happens on a reality TV or game show is not a spoiler

This is an important caveat: Pretty much none of these rules apply to reality TV or game shows. There's no such thing as a reality TV spoiler.

9. "But it's in the book!" is not an excuse to spoil adaptations

TV was obviously invented to help achieve the utopian dream of eliminating books forever; you don’t get to ruin someone’s leisure time because you’re "well read."

11. In public spaces, conduct all spoiler talk at a "library whisper"

You're a grown-ass adult who should be doing this anyway, but it needs to be said: Do not turn the latest episode of American Horror Story into your version of The Moth.

12. Use headphones while watching spoilable TV in the wild

Don't be brave like those idiots who turn their phones into boomboxes and bump music sans headphones in public.

18. Be considerate if you're live-tweeting

Have you heard of these things called time zones? We don't want to say "never live-tweet," but if you have thoughts to share you should just be mindful and considerate about what you post, especially for less zeitgeist-y series and streaming shows.

20. Don't post spoiler freeze-frames on Instagram and/or Snapchat right after an episode

There's no way for your friends to know, for example, that the Snap or Instagram story you've queued up is going to contain the death of Hot New Thing's Hot New So-and-So.

Like wtf are these?

4 & 5- The time frames seem completely arbitrary.

7 - Why is reality TV not spoiler worthy? If I was hardcore into Big Brother, I don't want someone calling me seconds after an episode aired to tell me who won HoH or Veto.

9 - This can't always be true. The age of the book has to count. If you didn't read The Hobbit or Lord of the Rings, that's on you.

11 - How loud to people normally talk? Why are people listening to my conversations?

12 - What public spaces are people blasting TV shows/movies?

18 - No. Why are you on Twitter looking up stuff about a show if you are anal about spoilers.

20 - Same as 18. Get off social media if you are that crazy.

shaneo632

It's a live event. The results are news. I don't see how this is a spoiler.

If you don't want to be spoiled, watch it live.

I suppose it's more that he was being an intentional prick. Plus wrestling is more a story-driven event than most live events so the context is totally different; there is more to it than just "seeing it live". And when I was a kid it simply wasn't possible to watch it at 1am.

Fuchsdh

18 - No. Why are you on Twitter looking up stuff about a show if you are anal about spoilers.

20 - Same as 18. Get off social media if you are that crazy.

It's worth pointing out that if someone's live tweeting or something during a show (which you shouldn't be doing, just watch the damn thing and talk about it afterwards) it's almost entirely indecipherable unless you're watching the show at the same time. Try following the E3 conference threads on here and see how much makes sense without watching it.

cwmartin

What's easier?

2) Becoming a hermit and forgoing all responsibilities whenever a big show just aired that you haven't been able to see yet

I think there is a difference between being spoiled (happens, not a big deal) and someone spoiling something for you intentionally (stupid, dick move).

If you don't care enough about Game of Thrones to plan around watching it as it airs, you can't then expect the entire fan base who does care enough to watch it as it airs, to cater to the small population of fans who didn't care enough to watch, but care enough to demand to be surprised what happens when they don't prioritize watching it.

Yes, its all just entertainment and media in the end. But caring about being spoiled, means you obviously care enough that the shows uncertainty is valuable to you, but watching it when it airs to ensure this experience is not. This is the MINORITY of game of thrones fans.

Plum

I think there is a difference between being spoiled (happens, not a big deal) and someone spoiling something for you intentionally (stupid, dick move).

If you don't care enough about Game of Thrones to plan around watching it as it airs, you can't then expect the entire fan base who does care enough to watch it as it airs, to cater to the small population of fans who didn't care enough to watch, but care enough to demand to be surprised what happens when they don't prioritize watching it.

Yes, its all just entertainment and media in the end. But caring about being spoiled, means you obviously care enough that the shows uncertainty is valuable to you, but watching it when it airs to ensure this experience is not. This is the MINORITY of game of thrones fans.

There's a simple solution to all this that allows people to talk about spoilers whilst also giving people who may not be able to watch GoT live (it airs at 2/3am on a Monday here in Europe) the chance to watch it without being spoiled.

It'a called lowering your damn voice.

Unless you have a megaphone surgically attached to your vocal chords there's no excuse not to do that. What you call a dick move is exactly what someone shouting out GoT spoilers in an otherwise small conversation is doing.

FLEABttn

Banned
I told someone that Ed Harris had signed for season 2 of Westworld before season 1 had ended. They got mad at me because I "spoiled" the fact that he doesn't die.

Spoilerphobes are getting ridiculous.

berzeli

Banned
What's easier?

3) Stop caring so much about spoilers.

I'm going to go with 3.

Option 3 sounds good to me.

I've heard a lot of people saying that option 3 is great.

cwmartin

I'm going to go with 3.

Wow, nice job spoiling this conversation. I didn't even know page 1 was going to have an option 3. I was going to binge this thread when it hit page 3, so thanks.

Plum

I'm going to go with 3.

What are you currently playing, watching or reading? What do you plan to play, watch or read in the future? I'm assuming you'd be fine giving me a list of those so I can send you PMs with spoilers for each and every one in the title.

cwmartin

What are you currently playing, watching or reading? What do you plan to play, watch or read in the future? I'm assuming you'd be fine giving me a list of these things so I can send you PMs with spoilers for each and every one in the title.

You honestly think spoiling something for someone intentionally, and hearing someone discuss a show in public that spoils it for you are the same?

cwmartin

So you're saying he does care about spoilers?

He likely cares enough that he wouldn't give you a current list of his ongoing entertainment choices in order for you to spoil them out of spite. But not enough to tell people how and what to talk about in public. You know, like a normal person.

Plum

He likely cares enough that he wouldn't give you a current list of his ongoing entertainment choices in order for you to spoil them out of spite. But not enough to tell people how and what to talk about in public. You know, like a normal person.

Why would he lie and say he doesn't care about spoilers when he actually does?

That and you've yet to explain why lowering your voice so the whole room can't hear you is such a challenge. Nobody's saying to not talk about spoilers in public, but there's literally no reason to talk about them loudly.

Randam

Video game spoiler culture is way worse.

Can't mention that there will be a snow level.

Once asked for help for the "lava centipede" boss and people freaked out, because now they knew there will be a fire based insect boss.

And others got mad because they could recognize a boss in a youtube thumbnail..

cwmartin

At this point I don't even know what your saying. He said "stop caring so much", not "stop caring about this". Unintentionally being spoiled is not a big deal.

Spoiler culture is stupid and I generally ignore adherents to it and I feel myself getting to a point where I mock them.

Example: Sonic Mania. "omg guys shhh Chemical Plant Zone is a spoiler!!11! now i can't enjoy the game :(((((" dafuq? Spoilers for a Sonic game? Get the fuck away from me.

Rules for spoilers of any kind are stupid

This.

I am so tired of spoiler culture.

And this.

Do I like being spoiled for things I haven't gotten around to watching yet? Nope. Do I get worked up about it? Nope. The whole world doesn't have to orient itself around my rate of media consumption.

I'd never spoil anyone intentionally, but I have to admit I feel some glee when some crazy spoilerphobe is whining that some minor thing that happened on a show that aired months ago got spoiled for them. It's just not worth getting upset about.

I'm a spoilerphile, so obviously I disagree with most of this list. Only times I'm careful with spoilers is on this forum, and even then I'm not great at it.

mclem

This is an important caveat: Pretty much none of these rules apply to reality TV or game shows. There's no such thing as a reality TV spoiler.

I'd like to hear the reasoning for this, because I emphatically disagree.

Talking at a normal level in a public place about spoilers is fine. Going around yelling "X DIED LAST NIGHT" is not. I'm not going to adapt my normal talking on the off chance someone might me listening in on my conversation and doesn't want to be spoiled.

Platy

Spoiler culture is stupid and I generally ignore adherents to it and I feel myself getting to a point where I mock them.

Example: Sonic Mania. "omg guys shhh Chemical Plant Zone is a spoiler!!11! now i can't enjoy the game :(((((" dafuq? Spoilers for a Sonic game? Get the fuck away from me.

To be fair Sonic Mania is the only sonic game (with a good soundtrack...) that can be spoiled.

DAT anti-speedrunning boss

berzeli

Banned
Something along these lines.

Man, if I only I knew that "hey, you know if you're so upset by spoilers you're willing to force other people to behave in a certain way in public you might be overreacting" was going to be so controversial. Would have been nice if someone sent me a PM telling me that beforehand.

Plum

At this point I don't even know what your saying. He said "stop caring so much", not "stop caring about this". Unintentionally being spoiled is not a big deal.

Since the topic of discussion was major GoT plot spoilers I'd say you either care about spoilers or you don't. What's the difference between being spoiled by someone sending you a PM and being spoiled by someone talking loudly in a public space? Both are easily avoidable on behalf of the one talking about spoilers yet insanely hard to avoid on behalf of the one who's not up to date.

Ambient80

That and you've yet to explain why lowering your voice so the whole room can't hear you is such a challenge. Nobody's saying to not talk about spoilers in public, but there's literally no reason to talk about them loudly.

You’re acting like people in restaurants or other public areas are standing on the tables and screaming spoilers until their vocal cords bleed. If I’m having a conversation at normal conversational volume with a friend, then I couldn’t care less if someone else is spoiled.

flkraven

It just sounds like dude had an episode of GoT spoiled for him, so he got pissed and decided to make the ten commandments for spoilers but raged off the page to 22. This is apparent with the 'just cuz it's in the books' point, the instagram/live tweeting thing and completely glossing over 'reality tv'.

It's incumbent on me and me alone to avoid spoilers.

It's also incumbent on me and me alone to avoid developing the level of obsession with TV shows (or other media) that I need complete isolation from any remote possibility of spoilers.

Plum

You’re acting like people in restaurants or other public areas are standing on the tables and screaming spoilers until their vocal cords bleed. If I’m having a conversation at normal conversational volume with a friend, then I couldn’t care less if someone else is spoiled.

This entire discussion was started because of this post:

11 should be the standard. I've had a certain Game of Thrones spoiler due to someone talking loudly in the college canteen.

Which explicitly said that the person was talkong loudly. If you're talking at normal levels in a crowded place then I'm not talking about you nor have I ever been talking about you.

Since the topic of discussion was major GoT plot spoilers I'd say you either care about spoilers or you don't. What's the difference between being spoiled by someone sending you a PM and being spoiled by someone talking loudly in a public space? Both are easily avoidable on behalf of the one talking about spoilers yet insanely hard to avoid on behalf of the one who's not up to date.
The difference is that in one you are going out of your way to sent spoilers to someone and in the other you are just having a conversation with someone else, and there MIGHT be someone listening who will get spoiled. You are asking people to adapt their regular conversations because there might be a small chance someone will get spoiled. That is just ridiculous.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

Yes there is is. The original "spoilers" were saying sports game results to those who had taped the game. The natural evolution of this is pointing out who got eliminated on a competition reality show, especially if it's the winner of the final show. I don't give a shit about spoilers at all and I'm fed up with spoiler terrorists going nuclear when they accidentally get spoiled on something, but if you're going to write a list of rules you need to at least think them through.

Ambient80

Yes there is is. The original "spoilers" were saying sports game results to those who had taped the game. The natural evolution of this is pointing out who got eliminated on a competition reality show, especially if it's the winner of the final show. I don't give a shit about spoilers at all and I'm fed up with spoiler terrorists going nuclear when they accidentally get spoiled on something, but if you're going to write a list of rules you need to at least think them through.

I love you for this term 😂😂

Plum

The difference is that in one you are going out of your way to sent spoilers to someone and in the other you are just having a conversation with someone else, and there MIGHT be someone listening who will get spoiled. You are asking people to adapt their regular conversations because there might be a small chance someone will get spoiled. That is just ridiculous.

I'd say you either care about spoilers or you don't. The end result of both scenarios is someone getting spoiled, and if you're talking loudly to someone else in a public place it shouldn't be someone else's responsibility to avoid you. If someone's talking about spoilers in a calm, normal speaking volume and you just so happen to walk by then it's a shame but no-one's at fault. If you're standing there and someone ten feet away unable to control their volume spoils you on something then it's their fault. This discussion started because of the latter, I have no clue why everyone thinks I'm talking about the former.

EDIT: I'd also like someone who says they don't care about spoilers to actually mean it for once. As I said, the end result is the same so you either care about said end result or you don't.

Lkr

This is a joke article right? I mean honestly I get really into television fandoms but if you take spoilers this seriously, you might want to try a different hobby.
I remember as a kid, I would tape the lakers games on a vcr and watch them after school the next day. You go to school and everyone is talking about it because their parents let them stay up to watch it. So I would go home knowing who won but it doesn't take away from watching the game because you don't know what happened. Live events will always be "spoiled" if you don't watch them live.

The big TV shows like GoT are now considered live events. If you can't watch it for a few days because you're busy, idk how or why you would expect others not to discuss it. There's a difference between someone being a dick and texting you that something just happened on the show when they know you aren't watching it versus people in the office discussing it the next morning. This article seems to be more about not discussing it publicly. Real talk, if you missed the super bowl (or the World Cup final for you non Americans) and you go into work the next day and heard people discussing it, would you yell at them for spoilers?
Also if plot points are spoiled, who cares? My curiousity got the better of me when reading through ASOIF and plenty of things got spoiled for me. But it doesn't detract from the story or anything. Just because you know character X dies in the book before reading doesn't mean the rest of the story isn't worth reading. You still need to know how the characters got to that point. You still need to know the reactions from everyone. Telling someone that has never seen Star Wars that Vader is Luke's father doesn't detract from the experience whatsoever.

And going back to the article being a joke, they list Seinfeld as an example of shows that are okay to spoil. The fuck is anyone gonna spoil about Seinfeld? The show is literally about nothing. The only "plot point" is Susan's death I guess.

I'd say you either care about spoilers or you don't. The end result of both scenarios is someone getting spoiled, and if you're talking loudly to someone else in a public place it shouldn't be someone else's responsibility to avoid you. If someone's talking about spoilers in a calm, normal speaking volume and you just so happen to walk by then it's a shame but no-one's at fault. If you're standing there and someone ten feet away unable to control their volume spoils you on something then it's their fault. This discussion started because of the latter, I have no clue why everyone thinks I'm talking about the former.
You can stick to the "you either care or don't" line, but it is pretty clear that under different circumstances, in one you can be an ass for spoiling something and in the other it is just accepted that it can happen and everyone moves on with their lives.

Some people talk louder then others. If someone just happens to talk loud, or the environment might be loud, whatever, it can happen. If they didn't go out of their way to spoil something - which you would if you went and sent a PM with spoilers - it is fine and you shouldn't complain.

berzeli

Banned
Because you're presenting your argument in the worst possible way?

You were saying that there were only two options, I suggested a third to counter your false dilemma. There is a difference between caring about spoilers in some manner and being insane, and if you want to police people's volume then, you know, you're insane.
The entire discussion about "talking too loudly" and "unable to control their volume" is insane. You are not owed that people talk in a certain manner, and only in that manner, about TV shows in public.

This is a terrible article, with terrible "rules".

Plum

You can stick to the "you either care or don't" line, but it is pretty clear that under different circumstances, in one you can be an ass for spoiling something and in the other it is just accepted that it can happen and everyone moves on with their lives.

Some people talk louder then others. If someone just happens to talk loud, or the environment might be loud, whatever, it can happen. If they didn't go out of their way to spoil something - which you would if you went and sent a PM with spoilers - it is fine and you shouldn't complain.

Because you're presenting your argument in the worst possible way?

You were saying that there were only two options, I suggested a third to counter your false dilemma. There is a difference between caring about spoilers in some manner and being insane, and if you want to police people's volume then, you know, you're insane.
The entire discussion about "talking too loudly" and "unable to control their volume" is insane. You are not owed that people talk in a certain manner, and only in that manner, about TV shows in public.

This is a terrible article, with terrible "rules".

Similarly, if you're talking too loud and someone calls you out on it take the L and don't complain. You even said that yelling "X DIED LAST NIGHT," is not fine, well that's exactly what I'm talking about. If you're talking loud enough that someone ten feet away who isn't listening in can hear you then you're talking too loud and, again, should take the L if someone complains.

It's just like free speech, no-one can stop you doing something, but that doesn't make you exempt from any and all criticism. In your efforts to stop the "policing" of volume levels you've started policing what people can and can't complain about.

Oh, and thanks for calling me insane.

shaneo632

I hate it when actors talk about appearing in the sequel for a movie that isn't even out yet and they could conceivably die in, generally I'm talking supporting characters here of course.

But like Bale said he'd be up for appearing in another Batman movie before TDKR came out, which kinda drained a lot of the suspense away.

I mean, sometimes I'll watch something based on historical or real events that I only know vaguely about or purposely don't look up anything about before I watch a dramatization, so you could still get spoiled even despite something being historical fact, as well

You may call that "being spoiled." The rest of the world calls it "education" and considers it to be a good thing.

The unspoken assumption in all of this is that enjoyment of fiction depends on the audience maintaining an artificial ignorance and being drip-fed a series of surprises by the author. This should be strongly and vigorously challenged. If you think that's a new or unorthodox notion, just read the prologue from Romeo and Juliet. Shakespeare tells you the fate of the two main characters before the play begins. And yet, new productions of that play on stage and in film continue to be popular into the present day.

Koomaster

Had to stop at this bullshit here. Absolutely not, you can spoil reality tv. Not sure why they added this.

Lkr

Had to stop at this bullshit here. Absolutely not, you can spoil reality tv. Not sure why they added this.
Because it's a "live event". I assume they're talking more about a live American idol finale than the bachelor but I have no idea. Spoiling reality tv to me is akin to spoiling a sporting event.
As for game shows...I mean if someone told me that someone wins 50k on jeopardy tonight I am probably more inclined to watch it than before

Referring back to my earlier post, the thing that was talked about occurred in season 4, while the person was talking about the spoiler while season 2 was on.

gun_haver

This shit is ridiculous. People need to stop prioritising 'surprise at a tv show's plot developments' as an important element of their lives. I love TV and don't ever post spoilers on here, or tell people what happens in something they are watching/going to watch, but really, who cares.

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
There's really only one rule for spoilers for me: 1. Don't go out of your way to spoil people. Anything beyond that is unreasonable imo.

Referring back to my earlier post, the thing that was talked about occurred in season 4, while the person was talking about the spoiler while season 2 was on.

How did they know the spoiler for a season that hadn't yet been recorded? Was this, perhaps, an event in one of the novels on which the television show is based? Because I get the feeling that now somebody is going to say I must be circumspect when discussing the 2001 novel American Gods in case events in the new television show based on the novel are revealed.

RangerX

Banned
I'd also like someone who says they don't care about spoilers to actually mean it for once. As I said, the end result is the same so you either care about said end result or you don't.

Sorry you saying this doesn't make it true. I've been accidentally spoiled and not given a shit and been intentionally spoiled and been annoyed at that person.

Top Bottom