• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 24 Hours of Le Mans 2014 |OT| Audi, Porsche, Toyota. One Winner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Edmond Dantès;164734473 said:
Supposedly they are looking to enter in 2017 in time for the proposed rule changes. A possibility, but realistically just a rumour at this stage.

Makes sense. I hope he does, we need a team that is down to earth and along for the ride. Glickenhaus Scuderia reminds me a lot of Jordan.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
The good old GT-One.

BnrQ2pZ.jpg

One of best prototypes never to win Le Mans.

Edmond Dantès;164850546 said:
Lovely little prototype. It's a shame it never got to race.

That's the beauty of Le Mans, I find, is all the cars that ran poorly, or never got to race, especially in the glory days of the 80's and late 90's.

I read this great history of Ford and Ferrari at Le Mans a while back, but damned if I can remember the name of it. Fascinating stuff. Ford tried to buy Ferrari, but was turned away and publicly humiliated at the last minute. The way the book told it, that's a big part of what inspired the GT40, the burning desire to beat Enzo.

dubc35

I read this great history of Ford and Ferrari at Le Mans a while back, but damned if I can remember the name of it. Fascinating stuff. Ford tried to buy Ferrari, but was turned away and publicly humiliated at the last minute. The way the book told it, that's a big part of what inspired the GT40, the burning desire to beat Enzo.

Go Like Hell, great read.

s6qDqnA.jpg

Might be made into a movie too, Tom Cruise was rumored to play Carroll Shelby. Unsure if I want that.

If you guys are looking to kill some time reading up on the forgotten ones of the early 90's Le Mans and Group C, here's Mulsanne's Corner.

Now if you'll excuse me, let me dump some images of my favorite lesser known sports cars.

aston-martin-amr1-7.jpg

CadGC-2.jpg

JaguarXJR-14-SMI2.jpg

DD

I love the look of the TS-010.

Since we're posting cars we like, and you're already mentioning the group C, I'll leave this here:

jaguar-e1331583124644.jpg

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
A few of my personal favourites from the eighties era:

kr8inAH.jpg

XJR-8 (sans rear aero upgrades) driven by Martin Brundle in 1987.

5bb9DYf.jpg

The Lancia LC2

iPnVXRO.jpg

The Rothmans Porsche 956

qOhfusN.jpg

The Kouros Racing Sauber C9 in 1987.

Edmond Dantès;164900358 said:
The Lancia LC2

5bb9DYf.jpg

While quickly scrolling through the last page, I was about to bemoan the lack of this beauty, but as ever, you're on top of things, ED.

A while back, Autosport listed their 50 favorite Le Mans cars and the top ten went as follows:

1. Porsche 956/962
2. Porsche 917
3. Ferrari 330 P3/P4
4. 4. Jaguar D-type
5. Mazda 787B
6. Renault-Alpine A442B
7. Ferrari 512
8. Ford GT40 MkI
9. Matra MS670
10. Porsche 936

They specifically said these are their favorites, not necessarily the best, so I'll forgive the lack of an Audi in the top ten, but ranking the all-conquering GT40 a lowly eighth is just wrong.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
While quickly scrolling through the last page, I was about to bemoan the lack of this beauty, but as ever, you're on top of things, ED.

A while back, Autosport listed their 50 favorite Le Mans cars and the top ten went as follows:

They specifically said these are their favorites, not necessarily the best, so I'll forgive the lack of an Audi in the top ten, but ranking the all-conquering GT40 a lowly eighth is just wrong.
Interesting top ten certainly and the reasoning behind some of their choices is very obvious. I do agree that the GT40's too low. I'd have it in the top three along with the D-Type and the 917 (in Gulf colours)

Indeed, and maybe that's why I love the GTR's to this day. They were never fast on the track, but they ran like a watch.

I was so glad that the Kokousai F1 was in GT6, because it's such a fun car to thrash about in.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
It was confirmed a while ago that Porsche will be using three different liveries at the 24 Hours.

fz4r7cX.jpg

Nissan have used a black livery in testing, but it's unknown whether they'll use an alternative to the red livery at Le Mans.

d1UaJRP.jpg

blanky

Their PR twitter feed has confirmed they'll come up with something original, rumors are something retro NIssan racing livery.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Their PR twitter feed has confirmed they'll come up with something original, rumors are something retro NIssan racing livery.
It'll be interesting to see what they come up with. The predominantly blue livery with red and white highlights is the most obvious choice. Black and red was used for the R390 GT1.

dubc35

^ The R390 GT1 was also in a red/black the year later or earlier, don't recall now but I remember it from way too much time playing Gran Turismo 2. (On phone now or I would look it up).

Watevaman

^ The R390 GT1 was also in a red/black the year later or earlier, don't recall now but I remember it from way too much time playing Gran Turismo 2. (On phone now or I would look it up).

97 by the looks of it was the black/red one. The blue/white/red is 98.

I would prefer the Nissan LMP be in those classic colors like above. Looks good.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
New Ford GT runs for first time
Motorsport.com can exclusively reveal that the racing version of the all-new Ford GT car ran on track for the very first time earlier this month.

The Multimatic-designed car, which will be revealed at the Le Mans 24 Hours next month, was driven by Scott Maxwell at the Calabogie Motorsports Park in Ontario.

An initial test took place on Saturday May 16, with only a few laps being conducted by Maxwell. An additional test was carried out in a more thorough shakedown last Wednesday at the same venue.

It is believed that the same car will be on display at the Le Mans 24 Hours next month, when an official announcement for the 2016 race program is announced.

Motorsport.com can reveal that the Ford GT will be powered by the Roush Yates Ecoboost 3.5-litre V6 turbo, similar to that used in the Riley & Scott Daytona Prototype car. The car will also feature a Ricardo-designed and built gearbox.
Continued here

Looking forward to Ford's return to endurance racing.

dubc35

Awesome! Will watch later, thanks!

Also, looking forward to Ford's return. I assume it will be in the GT category?

Awesome! Will watch later, thanks!

Also, looking forward to Ford's return. I assume it will be in the GT category?

Probably.

Matech-Ford-GT1_3.jpg

I hope the GT this time around does better then it did a few years ago. The Matech kinda just came and went like a fart, not really winning anything (To my knowledge)

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Le Mans Pre-test will debut Porsche 919 Hybrids in their individual colors
The official 24 Hours of Le Mans Pre-test will see the world debut of the 2015 Porsche 919 Hybrid Le Mans race cars in their individual colors: red, black and white.

The red prototype with starting number 17 will be driven by Timo Bernhard, Brendon Hartley, and Mark Webber. Its car number and color are a tribute to the Porsche that in 1970 took the first of what are now a total of 16 overall victories for the brand in Le Mans. No other brand has claimed so many victories in what is believed to be the world’s most famous endurance race.

The base color of the Porsche 917 KH ("short-tail") in "Salzburg Design" that won the race 45 years ago on June 14, 1970 was also red. The winning drivers then were Hans Herrmann from Germany, who is now 87, and Richard Attwood from the UK, who is 75 today.
Continued here

Ksl28Tf.jpg

qHCmN4v.jpg

The Le Mans test day is this Sunday.

That red 919 is fucking insane. Looks amazing.

Will they stick with those colours throughout the season?

I wouldn't be surprised if they do. That was the case with the 919 last year, correct?

Hippy_Porsche_917_01pop.jpg

I'd have preferred one of them being colored like the old hippie colored 917.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom