• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 25 Best Movies by Black Directors

Status
Not open for further replies.

daviyoung

Banned
Shame Metacritic doesn't have a record for A Way Of Life

WayOfLife.jpg

jett

D-Member
Metacritic and Rottentomatoes have undergone score inflation in recent years, so I am not sure that is the method I would have gone with to pick the top 25 films by black directors.

The no film over $35M budget by black directors in 2015 stat is pretty crazy though.

I am having a hard time thinking of big budget films by black directors ever now. Fuqua had King Arthur in 2004 ($120M) and a bunch of mid-budget stuff. Singleton's biggest was Four Brothers (~100M). I don't think Spike Lee has ever worked with a major budget. Ditto for Tyler Perry.

Unless I am missing something major, Black Panther might be the most expensive project to be handled by a black director.

EDIT: We were having a conversation last week about how Latinos and Asians have even poorer representation in Hollywood as actors in major movie roles, but at least they are able to direct films with a budget beyond what Hollywood deems fitting for an "urban" film.

EDIT 2: Actually, thinking about Justin Lin and James Wan made me remember that F. Gary Gray is directing Fast 8 now. That will beat Black Panther to release, and will probably have a budget over $150M.

You forgot about Tim Story and his Fantastic Four movies!

I think most people have forgotten about that shit though.

petran79

Banned
The animated TV series Black Panther was also directed by a black director.
One of the best animated super hero adaptations

kswiston

You forgot about Tim Story and his Fantastic Four movies!

I think most people have forgotten about that shit though.

You're right. Silver Surfer was slightly more than King Arthur, so maybe that's the most expensive film by a black director to date.

Fast 8 will be huge though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom