• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix's "Society of The Snow" is one of the best survival movies I've ever seen, and arguably the best movie they've made

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Its about the 1972 Andes plane crash with the Uruguayan rugby team. Imo, its a must watch.

- They filmed this movie on the ACTUAL crash site.
- Some of the real survivors are ACTORS in the film.

- Many cast members were first time actors
- The cinematography is immaculate.
- Its super emotional and authentic
- The film was shot chronologically to capture characters changes.
- The film is Spain's official entry for the 2024 Academy Award for Best International Feature and was recently nominated for a Golden Globe in a similar category

Great film, really respect the director for making such an accurate portrayal of the disaster. Well fucking done.

iVYebrF.jpg

Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Its about the 1972 Andes plane crash with the Uruguayan rugby team. Imo, its a must watch.

- They filmed this movie on the ACTUAL crash site.
- Some of the real survivors are ACTORS in the film.

- Many cast members were first time actors
- The cinematography is immaculate.
- Its super emotional and authentic
- The film was shot chronologically to capture characters changes.
- The film is Spain's official entry for the 2024 Academy Award for Best International Feature and was recently nominated for a Golden Globe in a similar category

Great film, really respect the director for making such an accurate portrayal of the disaster. Well fucking done.

J.A. Bayona also made The Impossible, that movie was about the Christmas day Tsunami in Thailand and was an absolutely great movie in both showing the disaster and the harrowing consequences. Gripping stuff.

The Orphanage was made together with Guillermo del Toro and is a great ghost story. Also very much worth seeing. I never saw "A Monster Calls" but that one also has great reviews. Bayona's only big movie was Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom, but here he was mostly a director for hire. That movie was not his fault.

It was excellent, even my oldest son who never watches subs was in to it.

But, I watched the making of, and just to not mislead people, they did not film at the actual crash site. They did some visits there and filmed a lot of aerial and drone footage that was digitally added in as the background, however.

Alebrije

I saw the original movie from 1976 , find it more crude than this Netflix adaptación. Alive is crap compared to this ones.

Maybe is the lack of resources of that era, the poor ligthing and music makes it like if You were on Silent Hill.

Last edited:

LimanimaPT

Some people on this thread don't seem to be aware about the fact that both Alive and this movie are based (based is not the right word really, they are more a documentary in the form of a movie) on the real event of an airplane that crashed on the Andes in 1974.
I consider The Society of The Snow a remake of Alive, and yes, it is better.

Last edited:
I remember seeing in a documentary that if they walked a different direction down hill into a valley towards argentina, there was a hotel in the mountains (they didn't know about it). it was 8 miles away. Also, Canessa saw a road on the 3rd day of their hike out of the mountains and it would have gotten them rescued sooner, but they didn't want to risk it not being a road.

Uhtred

I’m gonna watch it tonight. I have fond memories of Alive so it’ll be interesting to see how the stacks up.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Gold Member
So is this the Alive reboot? Anyone else seen the 1993 film Alive, starring Ethan Aggattacca? This sounds like the movie Alive based on events that sound familiar to the plot here. I wonder if it’s related.

Am I alive? Or am I dancer?

Represent.

So is this the Alive reboot? Anyone else seen the 1993 film Alive, starring Ethan Aggattacca? This sounds like the movie Alive based on events that sound familiar to the plot here. I wonder if it’s related.

Am I alive? Or am I dancer?
Its not an Alive reboot.

They are both based on a true story. Thats like saying Alive is a reboot of the movie that came before it about the same events.

This is a movie based on the same story - But its 10x the movie Alive was.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Its not an Alive reboot.

They are both based on a true story. Thats like saying Alive is a reboot of the movie that came before it about the same events.

This is a movie based on the same story - But its 10x the movie Alive was.
(I was making fun of some of the replies on this thread)

Was watching and realize something is completely off…

Finally I fix it. Netflix had the audio in English and originally is Spanish.
Don’t forget to put it in Spanish!

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Watched it this evening. Great movie. More than 2 hours in length but it didn't feel like that. Hope it does well at the Oscars.

Solarstrike

Gold Member
The movie about the incident didn't need to be remade. "Alive" tells the story. It's a brutal one and a miracle anyone survived.

Last edited:

Represent.

The movie about the incident didn't need to be remade. "Alive" tells the story. It's a brutal one and a miracle anyone survived.
Nah. Alive used a bunch of english actors, this one was way more authentic, they spoke the correct language, and got the family members/survivors involved so they could get profit off their own story.

Top Bottom