• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 360 Games on Demand Thread of UnUnified Prices, Releases & Paying Way Over Retail

Ok so what needs to happen will happen. JUST like Community games... if nobody buys them or very few buy them the prices will come down. Remember we were paying $15 for Xbox 1 launch games or at least someone was.

Wasn't the whole point of ms points so that they could have a pseudo-standardized price for everything? I became suspicious when MS said they'd allow users to pay using a credit card because that paved the way for region specific pricing and I was right :D

All of those games can be had for less than AU$40 new

I find the idea of pricing old multiplayer-centric games that highly. Who is going to be on COD2 servers? :lol

Some games like Assassins Creed are priced double in what you'll find at retailers. And Oblivion at £20? You can get that with Bioshock for £25 :lol

Microsoft are trying to kill Digital Distribution. Who is honestly going to shell out for these prices when you'll most likely be thinking of getting a bigger HDD for these games? Ridiculous prices.

Call of Duty 2 - £19.99
Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - £19.99
Need for Speed Carbon - £19.99
LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga - £19.99
Mass Effect - £19.99
Viva Piñata - £19.99
Assassin’s Creed - £19.99

:lol :lol :lol Most of those are double the price

toff74

Just seen the GOD on my UK 360.

£19.99 You're having a laugh aren't you? 7 titles, all of which can be had for half that at retail!!!!!!!! Bah! Humbug! This new DD stuff will never take off (on consoles).

(beaten by minutes11)

toff74

Folks!!!!

THIS IS A BETA!!!! Who knows, MS may be just fishing with these prices. On the 11th they amy just suprise us all with price reductions :D :lol

Tbigum

Neo Member
All games in Denmark: 299Dk. = 58$/4600msp. Total ripoff!!
Just an example, in most stores, you can get Need For Speed Carbon for 19$

R.I.P
GOD

toasty_T said:
Wasn't the whole point of ms points so that they could have a pseudo-standardized price for everything? I became suspicious when MS said they'd allow users to pay using a credit card because that paved the way for region specific pricing and I was right :D

All of those games can be had for less than AU$40 new

This is the real story here for me. Digitally distributed games being priced to retail RRP is nothing new, Steam does it after all. In a world of retailer discounting it's stupid but still somewhat understandable if Microsoft doesn't want to piss off retail channels.

But the MS point system was put in place to ensure a unified worldwide price point that enabled them to tailor the pricing in each region to reflect the same value across the userbase. It's not a perfect match but it has remained remarkably steady across the life of the 360 so far and has been a success.

Abandoning it for this service is a bizarre and fatal decision for Microsoft. It's not so much that the prices are high the question it leaves you is why in the US does a 360 owner pay $20US for Mass Effect, while in Australia a 360 owner has to pay $74US? That's nearly FOUR TIMES the price for the same product. In a straight currency exhange $20US is about $25AUS.

This is a disaster for the service which is all but dead right now everywhere but the US.

Struct09

xGen said:
Wow this is getting ridiculous now. I thought DD was always cheaper than the retail copy.

Ideally it would be. But MS has to appease the retailers and keep the prices on par with (or worse than) retail.

Struct09 said:
Ideally it would be. But MS has to appease the retailers and keep the prices on par with (or worse than) retail.

And for the most part, I imagine most of these games are still selling relatively well at retail, at least as well or better than MS could realistically expect them to sell on Games on Demand. There's still a premium to be made on retail, and I doubt there's any expectation for GoD to catch on fully within even the first year.

Brakara

Tbigum said:

Double check those MSPs. Here in Norway, it's 299NOK and 2400MSP. That means you save 34% by using MSPs instead of your hard earned cash. And as I said earlier in the thread, when using points it's actually cheaper than retail (well, except for CoD2).

And for all of you who bitches: A game like Mass Effect is €45 on Steam. That should put things in perspective.

Also, Gowans, as said it's 299NOK here in Norway, not 99NOK (unfortunately).

SmokyDave

SpectraSoul said:
I'm sure they will have lower their prices. I mean are many people really going to buy them at that price?

They can't really, it'll mess with the perceived value of Arcade titles. This is why this is doomed to fail and why I don't believe in GoD.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
The idea is great but follow some of the other DL services and at least match your retail prices. I like what Criterion did when the PS3 Burnout Paradise SKU dropped to 20 then they followed suit and dropped PSN release to 20. At least match retail! OR GO LOWER as you don't have to dick around with packaging, shipping, handling, or fondling of product!

Malio

Not interested in this until it's cheaper than retail and offers a large advantage over having the physical media, manual, packaging, pretty pictures, etc. Right now it is a joke.

(i.e. will be a mega-hit with the 360 avatar clothes-buying crowd!)

Gowans

Tbigum said:

R.I.P
GOD

Let me know which titles and I'll add them to the OP.

Brakara said:
Also, Gowans, as said it's 299NOK here in Norway, not 99NOK (unfortunately).

Ill fix it now.

It's was worth making the thread and updating the op just to see the comedy. I hope MS comments soon, not long till the 11th too for people hoping its just a test, I doubt it tho as people can buy them now.

tim1138 said:
Here's another: using GoD Viva Pinata is $20, but you can buy it new (and its in stock) from Amazon for $10. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000HCL5QO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Not sure this counts since it's on sale. Amazon still lists the MSRP for the title which is the same as the DD cost. Just because Sony was giving you $100 off the PS3 if you used a Sony credit card doesn't mean that the retail cost of the system was $299. It was only a sale at the time.

Tbigum

Neo Member
Gowans007 said:
Let me know which titles and I'll add them to the OP.

Denmark
Call of Duty 2: 299dkr/2400msp/29.99$
Oblivion: 299dkr/2400msp/29.99$
Need for Speed Carbon: 299dkr/2400msp/29.99$
Lego Star Wars: 299dkr/2400msp/29.99$
Mass Effect: 299dkr/2400msp/29.99$
Viva Pinata: 299dkr/2400msp/29.99$
Assassins Creed: 299dkr/2400msp/29.99$

Brakara

dejan said:
As an european Steam user i'll only say the following: welcome to my world!

Indeed. Which is why I don't understand all the bitching. I mean, we all want games to cost as little as possible, but what did you guys expect? Most of these prices are cheap compared to the respective prices on Steam (here in Europe). And, normally, PC games are €5-€10 cheaper than 360 games. But in this case, as said, a game like Mass Effect is €15 cheaper on the 360 (and actually more than €17 cheaper if you pay with points).

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Brakara said:
Indeed. Which is why I don't understand all the bitching. I mean, we all want games to cost as little as possible, but what did you guys expect? Most of these prices are cheap compared to the respective prices on Steam (here in Europe). And, normally, PC games are €5-€10 cheaper than 360 games. But in this case, as said, a game like Mass Effect is €15 cheaper on the 360.

This is the second time you bring steam into the discussion in this thread wich is stupid.

I cant believe anyone is actually defending this shit, well outside of the US that is. I aint paying 2800MSP for a game that i can get for much cheaper in any store around here. :lol

Kandrick said:
This is the second time you bring steam into the discussion in this thread wich is stupid.

I cant believe anyone is actually defending this shit, well outside of the US that is. I aint paying 2800MSP for a game that i can get for much cheaper in any store around here. :lol

Not really, since the Steam prices (European) are comparable to the GOD prices. Both are ridiculous.

Carlisle

The only way I see myself ever buying any of these games is if there is one I happen to want that is also priced relatively close to retail and is also featured on the deal of the week for 66% off or something.

Oh and if the 120 GB harddrive ever stops costing 10 times what it should.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
mario ate my burger said:
Not really, since the Steam prices (European) are comparable to the GOD prices. Both are ridiculous.

Exactly, its like getting fucked in the ass, both by Steam and Microsoft, but Microsoft actually uses vaseline so it hurts less.

But in the end, they still fuck you in the ass.

Brakara

Kandrick said:
Exactly, its like getting fucked in the ass, both by Steam and Microsoft, but Microsoft actually uses vaseline so it hurts less.

But in the end, they still fuck you in the ass.

Now you are being stupid. Nobody is forcing you to be "fucked in the ass" as you say.

But here's why I'm not bitching like you guys. I checked Mass Effect at prisguide.no (online price guide for Norway), and the cheapest one available is at AbsoluttSpill.no for 199NOK (+30NOK shipping). On the 360 it costs 197NOK (when using points). Why should I bitch about that? How is that being "fucked in the ass" by Microsoft?

Steam does not fuck anyone in the ass. If anything, Steam bends over for the consumer sometimes. Offering Prototype at a 20% discount, the Orange Box for $10, Fallout 3 for $25, and the list goes on, is a good deal. It's obvious Microsoft is testing to the waters at the moment, seeing what works and what doesn't but don't expect DD games to be cheaper. They're still selling old Xbox generation titles for $15...

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
riceandbeans said:
Steam does not fuck anyone in the ass. If anything, Steam bends over for the consumer sometimes. Offering Prototype at a 20% discount, the Orange Box for $10, Fallout 3 for $25, and the list goes on, is a good deal. It's obvious Microsoft is testing to the waters at the moment, seeing what works and what doesn't but don't expect DD games to be cheaper. They're still selling old Xbox generation titles for $15...

If you are in the US, maybe.

Brakara said:
Indeed. Which is why I don't understand all the bitching. I mean, we all want games to cost as little as possible, but what did you guys expect? Most of these prices are cheap compared to the respective prices on Steam (here in Europe). And, normally, PC games are €5-€10 cheaper than 360 games. But in this case, as said, a game like Mass Effect is €15 cheaper on the 360 (and actually more than €17 cheaper if you pay with points).
At least in my case it's not really bitching it's "Wow MS you dropped the ball on some additional revenue. I'll(and 99.9 % of live members) find my games somewhere else. Stupid heads!"

If Microsoft were to plan some weekend deals where we could see anything up to half price off, and if I owned a larger HDD then I would be all over this, just like Steam, 99% of the time I only buy in a sale because the price is too good to pass up.

An example would be seeing mass effect GoD in the UK drop to 1200 instead of 2400 for a weekend, that's good value to me.

enewtabie

Carlisle said:
The only way I see myself ever buying any of these games is if there is one I happen to want that is also priced relatively close to retail and is also featured on the deal of the week for 66% off or something.

Oh and if the 120 GB harddrive ever stops costing 10 times what it should.

Agree completely. I was going to upgrade my HDD and I still plan on it,but I thought Games on Demand was going to be a little cheaper. I just picked up a copy of Mass Effect for 14.99. I'm sure prices will decrease after time. I'm still interested,but at a little better price point.

Maybe say with Assassins'Creed 2 comes out,they drop the price the price of the original down to 1200ms or something like that.

Brakara

CitizenCope said:
At least in my case it's not really bitching it's "Wow MS you dropped the ball on some additional revenue.

Oh, on this I absolutely agree (and I even brought it up in the other thread). If MS and the publishers want to attack the used games market, then DD prices need to be competitive. This because a DD sale is 100% profit for MS and the publishers, while a used game sale nets them a total of 0%, and every used game sold is one less potential sale for the MS digital store.

But the main reason we're seeing the current prices is because of Steam (which is why I've brought it up repeatedly). That has been a huge success and money printer for Valve (with higher than retail prices), so why shouldn't Microsoft follow in those footsteps? Why take the chance to piss off retailers when there's still a lot of money to be made by selling DD games at manufacturer's suggested retail prices (as Valve has already proven)?

Edit: so my main issue with the pricing isn't that the games are too expensive for me personally, but that I think MS and the publishers would've made a lot more money than they will now, if only they had more competitive prices.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Wait, people are actually comparing the prices to the prices in stores? :lol

You should be comparing to local RRPs, not in-store prices.

PSGames

Struct09 said:

That's bullshit. That's the excuse that they use to appease people. Last time I checked Retail isn't giving up Used Game sales even thought the Game industry bitches about it. If MS really wanted to price games below retail they could and there wouldn't be a damn thing retailers could do about it. Especially on PLATINUM HITS titles which retail doesn't make much money off of any way!

cjelly said:
Wait, people are actually comparing the prices to the prices in stores? :lol

You should be comparing to local RRPs, not in-store prices.
And why should I have to do that? the last time I brought a RRP game was forza 2 I think just because I wanted the CE, day 1, from a local store instead of maybe 1 day late in the post. Every other game has been below rrp because the seller, online or off, chose to do so.

PSGames said:
That's bullshit. That's the excuse that they use to appease people. Last time I checked Retail isn't giving up Used Game sales even thought the Game industry bitches about it. If MS really wanted to price games below retail they could and there wouldn't be a damn thing retailers could do about it. Especially on PLATINUM HITS titles which retail doesn't make much money off of any way!

It's not just MS. Sony follows suit as well. How much is Burnout... Warhawk and GT5P online compared to retail? Retailers are forcing these prices. You really have no clue how retailers have these companies by the balls.

OldJadedGamer said:
It's not just MS. Sony follows suit as well. How much is Burnout... Warhawk and GT5P online compared to retail? Retailers are forcing these prices. You really have no clue how retailers have these companies by the balls.

But my understanding is that retailers make very little money selling new games- specialty stores like Gamestop make their money on used games and accessories while general-purpose stores like Wal-Mart carry games because they are part of the shop for everything under one roof experience and they draw people to the store where they buy items with higher markups. So what could any of these retailers do to Microsoft if they got pissed, without screwing themselves over even worse in the process?

Brakara

So I checked the Games on Demand list again after the new update, and all the prices went up from 2400 MSP to 4000 MSP (!). It's like they were thinking, "Hey, who's that guy who's actually defending this shit? Let's bust his ass!" Well, congrats MS, you did it. I'm now officially just as pissed as the rest of you guys are. :lol

I could live with paying the same for DD as retail...I can even live with paying up to a $5.00 lazy tax so I don't have to run to the store to pick up a game. But some of these prices are just flat out silly.

Bioshock + Oblivion on Games on Demand = 79.98 (90.38 if you count GST/PST on the space bucks).

Bioshock + Oblivion from HMV.ca = $44.99 (I was in the store yesterday and saw it priced at $39.99).

I bought Viva Pinata new at Best Buy a while back for $9.99.

just checked the list after getting home from work. at least now my games on demand section will have more box art to look at while not intending to buy anything off it.

Solsc

I accidentally brought Viva Pinata. I converted it to points to see how much it came to and then hit confirm download because my finger slipped... Good job Microsoft you won this time...

Solsc said:
I accidentally brought Viva Pinata. I converted it to points to see how much it came to and then hit confirm download because my finger slipped... Good job Microsoft you won this time...

It was no mistake. Your sub-conscious just wanted to play Viva Pinata, and I can't blame it for that.

Top Bottom