• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 4th Democratic Primary Debate

Status
Not open for further replies.
For Hillary to say that the ACA is an ideal thing atm....fuck out of here--seriously

Anyone in the work place who's caught sight of those plans--they aren't even close to adequate

Ekdrm2d1

For Hillary to say that the ACA is an ideal thing atm....fuck out of here--seriously

Anyone in the work place who's caught sight of those plans--they aren't even close to adequate

bitchpleaseixs46.gif

Chairman of the Republican party in Charleston just said on local news that if he was a Democrat he'd be behind Bernie because he thinks both parties are interested in authenticity.

AlphaDump

Gold Member

it originally had single payer but it was stripped in order to get it passed. the republicans are currently trying to repeal the ACA.

why strip ACA and start over thinking you can get them to vote it in?

Trouble

Banned
I skipped the debate. I felt my time would be better spent playing Rebel Galaxy. Reading the reactions to the debate, I feel I made the right choice.

GnawtyDog

Banned
I think he was pretty detailed with the healthcare questions and addressing where the funds come from, makes sense that since you're no longer paying healthcare fees the tax increase won't be very bad

A lot of his responses were wrapped on a defensive position, due to dishonest questions on his proposals. In that sense, a lot of the importance of the details he spouted were lost in the noise. Of course folks like you or I catch it but people disposed to dismiss it or look at the issue in a "bad light" will side with the contrarian position.

He did OK, not great on healthcare. Got mauled on guns. Did OK on wallstreet....talked like a broken record on the system being bought and the need for revolution. It hurts him when he doesn't mix that talking point in some other way. He's not going to lose his staunch followers but he's not going to make much headway into new ones.

He needs more tact on word usage and finding ways to say the same thing in different ways.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Chairman of the Republican party in Charleston just said on local news that if he was a Democrat he'd be behind Bernie because he thinks both parties are interested in authenticity.

Yea, there were reports of the GOP sending out e-mails during the debate to reporters defending Bernie against Clinton.

Emarv

It's about the political capital it would take to push through something even more liberal than the ACA.

I swear, these Bernie youngsters.

that's exactly why we need him now, not enough people see that

it's really tragic

Our political process is slow and incremental, which doesn't mesh well when technology has no such constraints.

We can't stop that trainwreck from happening, but hopefully respond a lot better as a country when it does.

lenovox1

While she didn't outright say she was dissatisfied with the ACA, she made it very clear every time she referenced it that she wants to Congress to expand upon it. She certainly never implied that the ACA was the ideal healthcare plan.

I only caught the last hour, but I think Clinton killed it. Deeper, more specific issues and details than the others. Bernie had the highest ideals but not that much substantial details about them.

Clinton's always been at her best when getting into the nitty gritty of policies. It's both her prime strength and weakness, depending on the audience.

Lol CNN burying Sanders. They just played the soundbite of him on tv about raising taxes, but cut off his explanation of the benefits on health care costs.

Tesseract

Banned
people are clammering for revolutionary leaders, young and old. exciting time, i hope it's trump v. bernie. easy win for bernstein.

bring on 90% rates

watershed

Banned
The ACA is the foundation to keep working from. It makes zero sense to walk away from it. Replacing it with a medicare for all is impossible with the current congress, hell impossible with the current democratic party. But a prescription drug fix is possible, as are other moves to reduce out of pocket expenses. Hillary is right on this one, not just for the politics either but the practical implementation of new healthcare policies.

Lol CNN burying Sanders. They just played the soundbite of him on tv about raising taxes, but cut off his explanation of the benefits on health care costs.

This is infuriating if true.

Again, this is what the average American will understand. American voters are highly uninformed. When your position involves raising THEIR taxes, they are going to tune out on it. Period. Anytime you have to get into a "Yes your taxes will go up...but..." you've lost the room.

We are a country in which 40% of people on Social Security say they've never taken a government program before. We have the lowest amount of trust in government in decades. You cannot sell a universal tax hike to the American people.

To get single payer, you have to do it incrementally. A public option through the ACA is a good place to start. Transition people from the plans sold by companies, and let them buy into this option. That's your back door to single payer.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
It's fucking awkward as fuck watching NBC NEWS talk about Bernie Sanders. Gross.

Anyway, I thought Hillary murdered my boy Bernie with a goddamn chain saw.

O'Malley just seems like a dude who is always poised to say "Webster's Dictionary defines a 'leader' as..."

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Lots of Republicans having Bernie's back recently, I wonder why...

Well, there are a few possibilities:
1) They think he is easier to beat in the general election.
2) They rather have Sanders in power then Hillary, for various political reasons.
3) They don't like the forerunners of the Republican Presidential Campaign. Its entirely believable that a lot of Republican legislatures would not want ether Trump or Cruz as the face of the party and the President of the country.
4) Sanders is really an Independent and not a Democrat. They may want to use that angle as ammo in future election cycles.

Lots of Republicans having Bernie's back recently, I wonder why...

Obviously this is armchair consulting, but if I were a GOP strategist, my dream match up would be Sanders v Rubio, especially if he can backtrack his immigration stance to what it was pre primary.

Young, dynamic candidate who challenges the notion of the GOP as a white party versus an angry old white guy who has difficulties appealing to minorities. Would be a nigh lockup.

Of course, Trump and Cruz has basically made that an impossibility.

lednerg

people are clammering for revolutionary leaders, young and old. exciting time, i hope it's trump v. bernie. easy win for bernstein.

bring on 90% rates

I don't know about that, but let's all vote on what the rates should be for each bracket. True democracy.

Neoweee

Nope. Pretty much every politician has made a similar shift.

Basically this.

Almost no national politicians were in favor when it first came up during the 80s. A shift on social issues as acceptance widens is normal, and should be encouraged.

Kangi

Nope. Pretty much every politician has made a similar shift.

I find it strange how people won't forgive politicians for something much of America did: evolve on the issue.

Of course, usually it's not actually about forgiveness or anything. It's usually just an attempt to dig dirt and pretend the country's always been progressive on the issue and the candidate in question was just lagging behind.

royalan

It's about the political capital it would take to push through something even more liberal than the ACA.

I swear, these Bernie youngsters.

Exactly. I don't understand how more people don't get this. Hillary was not exaggerating: it has taken democrats DECADES to get to the ACA, and even that was mauled by Republicans on the road to getting passed.

FtsH

If you openly state you will crush all economy super powers what else can you expect? Even with a good intention, I can't imagine Bernie can realistically work with this country given his "all rich are evil" attitude....unless what he really wants is a civil war/revolution?

Exactly. I don't understand how more people don't get this. Hillary was not exaggerating: it has taken democrats DECADES to get to the ACA, and even that was mauled by Republicans on the road to getting passed.

Some of actually remember the Harry and Louise ads. Or the fact that in 2004, no candidate for the Democratic nominee was talking about major health care reform. Even Dean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom