• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 50 Best Bike Cities of 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
7. Austin, TX

Not bad!

Seems like biking would be tough in snowy areas like Chicago and Minny. Even biking in TX is pretty shitty in the winter.

Midwestern cities tend to know how to handle snow well. In Chicago, arterial streets are cleared rather quickly but side/residential streets may take an extra day or two.

Austin is way too high on that list. I wouldn't call it bike friendly. Yeah a lot of people rides bike but you really have to be committed to riding a bike in Austin.

I think that's the same for every city on this list. I bike every day in Portland and I wouldn't even describe it as friendly at all. Bike lanes appear and disappear at random and we have almost no protected bike lanes downtown. Maybe some city officials think it is but I've even been on bike boulevards and had people try to run me off the road. One lady ran a stop sign and almost hit me, then followed me for a couple blocks after I yelled "STOP!", then she rolled down her window and said "I shoulda hit you fa**ot!" and sped off.

One guy cut me off on the same street and kept brake checking me and saying "how does it feel to have to slow down all the time!?" I told him to get off the road with all the bikes painted on it and take another street. He told me to get a car and sped off and I kept catching up to him at stop signs it was awkward as fuck.

I usually have 2-3 bad encounters with drivers and other bikers every week.

GamerJM

Banned
Surprised Santa Barbara isn't here. Don't live there but I have a few cousins who do and they say everyone bikes.

Silkworm

If you step off campus this immediately stops being the case. Yeah people are generally pretty civil driving and there's not too much traffic, but there really aren't dedicated bike lanes or paths anywhere.

Well, on campus was definitely better (especially since public traffic wasn't allowed on campus at certain hours of the day) but I found some nice routes to the mall and elsewhere that had bike lanes on them. I went all the way to another town one time and that route had a bike lane all the way IIRC. I was much more into biking then.

Jasup

?
MN is great for winter maintenance. I don't care how good the city is, a blizzard is crippling in any situation and not conducive for biking.

Blizzard is a special occasion and not a daily occurence. I was thinking of a normal winter day with snow on the ground - if you can't ride a bike, it's usually a maintenance issue.

MSScaeva

Neo Member
You never been to a good bike city unless you've been to Amsterdam

Ehh, Amsterdam (especially the city center) isn't actually that great compared to the rest of the Netherlands. Way too busy and cramped. Smaller cities tend to be better. I've heard Groningen is really good, though I've never cycled there myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom