• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

America's fattest cities

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christian

Didn't Pittsburgh hover near the top of this list several years ago? I mean, we're famous for our cuisine that includes sandwiches piled high with french fries and salads piled high with french fries...

megachao24

Unconfirmed Member
Surprised to see both San Antonio and Houston not in the top ten. Just about every past list on obese cities usually had those two in the top three.

What about the whole body as temple thing lol?

Most people just read that as a "don't self harm" message, unless you're really religious and then it's a "don't get tattoos" message. It would be impressive to find a congregation anywhere in the South that actually cared about body weight.

jbueno

I'be been to Mccallen Texas. Between the fact that its a completely drive culture so you don't walk anywhere but inside...... Even the local grocery store/bodega is drive through

I bought a Torta for 8 bucks that was larger than the size of my head and the burger spot gravy comes with every order...... And yeah I saw a lot of big people while I was there, hooked up with a few too......

Yeah been there too, I think it used to be No, 1 a few years ago

gatling

From Memphis. Not surprised. It takes a lot of work to not be fat here. I spend a lot of time on fitness because like hell
will I give up the food here. Its pure maintenance.

I would like to see a comparison to cities in Europe and Asia. I don't think it would be flattering for the U.S. Obesity is a epidemic in the states.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Yeah been there too, I think it used to be No, 1 a few years ago

I also forgot to add that it's hot as fuck out there I had to cross the street and go up a block from the hotel to the burger place to get lunch and I remember it being an ordeal..... like I stopped in a store half way there to get a water and some air conditioning both ways.

Lyn

Banned
None of this is really surprising to me when looking at the overall map. Generally speaking, it seems the leaders are the more rural and poor parts of the country. Places where people spend more time in their cars commuting, quality food is hard to come by, and the general culture of comfort food that dominates menus.

Recently, my family has been working hard to make better choices with food. It is actually more tricky than one would expect. Being in a small town in Texas at the moment, the produce around here is awful. Vegetables look like they have been through a war zone and fruit is often quite moldy. Bugs are numerous as well. I was so excited one time to find Cara oranges at the supermarket that usually I can only find in Houston. They should be fresh since it is something new to the store, right? I started picking them up and there was mold everywhere. It is frustrating.

So that on top of incredibly long commutes that people are taking more and more of, thus less time for exercise and walking, none of this is a surprise. Some I know travel 2.5 hours in a car each way, grabbing fast food along the way since there is no time to prepare meals.

What I really miss now are all the produce stands that stretched along the roads here when I was a kid. Fresh produce was everywhere and I used to help shell peas and prepare a lot of it with my grandmother. The more the mega supermarkets moved in though, the more the little stands disappeared, and the worse our food became.

Sorry for ranting a little. It is something that has really been bugging me for some time now.

kmfdmpig

There is a strong correlation between poverty and obesity, so I suspect if they arranged the cities by poorest to wealthiest it would look fairly similar (with some exceptions, obviously).

SeanC

The mentality isn't about the food being better it's about eating the most while paying the least. 10 bucks for the Golden Coral buffet? Yeah, poor folks are going to jump on that. I know my family did, then I moved and realized how fat I was.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
MS, AR, TX and TN. What a range!

P.S. Fuck Yahoo. Here's the original source that does a far better job of breakdown:
https://wallethub.com/edu/fattest-cities-in-america/10532/

EqMlraF.png

That's list doesn't fit with the other list. No way is sacramento #2 fattest and Detroit #5 skinniest.

Edit

Wait, is it because in Detroit you are either skinny or you are obese but sacramento you are likely either skinny or overweight?

Coolluck

Living in Minnesota has been like living in a sheltered bubble for me. I don't see fat people everywhere even though I read how bad obesity has been becoming. I also feel like the vast majority of people here are incredibly nice as well.

I'm scared to leave

"Minnesota Nice"? You would be fine in other areas as far as that's concerned. A lot of people definitely care about fitness here. The multitude of biking paths, parks, and trails have to help.

Lived in MN from about age 6 to 18.. moved to Texas and then Arkansas to follow family.. it blew my mind at just the general health of people. I moved back shortly and have been here ever since.

Its all the more amazing when you consider how cold it is here and how things like running have to be done at clubs. Naturally you would think people here would put on weight during the winter months but thats not generally the case here.

Clubs are packed and biking is huge even in the winter.

la-na-minneapolis-winter-biking-20140320

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Seattle?

So I ate all these cakes in a depressed rain-induced fugue for NOTHING?

Ah goddamn these unchangeable abs.

xK5odde.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom