• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 8Bitdo SNES30/SFC30 is the best (retro) controller I have ever owned.

Tealmann

updating the firmware now!

edit: no luck. but then again, this is a SNES30, not a NES PRO

I don't have any of the controllers, but after looking at the Amazon pages it looks like only the NES30 Pro (The one with the analog sticks) has Xinput support

Really want that Famicom designed SNES... I mean the Famicom but SNES branded that plays NA region carts. I'm about to move into my first home and one of the first things I'm doing is creating a retro themed game room so that'd be neat.

edit shit just realized its simply the pal version, oh well.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Wait a second, native Wii/U remote emulation? Meaning I can use this for both official VC and emus on softmodded Wii/vWii?

As far as I can determine, the only way to get these controllers (or at least the nes30 pro) in x-input mode is to have it plugged in and press power + R1. There is no way to do it wirelessly, which is a bummer because the SP3 which I bought this for has only one USB which has to be used by the external hdd which houses all my emulation and game stuff since the internal storage is so small,but oh well. I can only hope for a firmware update.

teeny

I got the SNES30 one and really really want another but with the PAL SNES / SFC buttons.

I love it. I bought one cheaply and expected a knock off controller. When it pitched up in the lovely packaging, I was pleasantly surprised. When I actually tried it, I was even more so. It's bloody excellent.

I have sideloaded Retroarch onto my Amazon Fire TV and am in the process of setting up dropbox / drop sync so I can access my games and saves from various places. It's a great setup. I haven't tried anything later than SNES/Megadrive, though - I wonder if the Fire TV can handle PS1 / 64 properly.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
So I've just bought a SFC30 model (thanks for making this thread Rich!) for €29 shipped tho I'm a bit scared cause nowhere it does mention Wii or WiiU support, only that it has a Wii Remote mode... what do you guys say?
Also I was wondering, you can't use it in vWii/Wii's legit VC SNES games which don't support the Wii Remote but only CC/CCpro/GCN pad I guess?

SFC30 ebay listing said:
Description:
100% Brand new and high quality
Dual-mode support:Bluetooth keyboard and touch screen simulation.
Support both Bluetooth&USB commection.
Built-in 480mAh Li-on battery.
Firmware upgradable for function expansion in the future.
Compatible with iOS,Android,Windows and Mac.
Programmable keys to easily setup combo key and turbo key.
Classic D-pad and Four Shoulder-button design.
Retro design, same touch same feeling. Original pushing button feeling, designed by professional company.

Support:
iOS, Android, Windows & Mac OS,
Examples: iPhone, iPhone5S, iTouch, iPad, Samsung Note II, Galaxy series, Android Pad
Windows XP, vista, Windows 7, Windows 8 etc.

Mode:
Bluetooth Joystick
Bluetooth Keyboard
iCade mode
Emu-Touch Screen mode
Wii remote mode
Wire USB controller
More functions are working in progress

Size and Panel:
Height:64mm(2.51 inches)
Width:132mm(5.19ihches)
Depth:15mm(0.59inches)
this item support iOS and Android,Mac os and PC,hight quality.

I had the NES one but the USB port broke after about 2 weeks. It was great while it lasted though and was quite close to the feeling of an NES controller and even superior in some ways.

Rich!

So I've just bought a SFC30 model (thanks for making this thread Rich!) for €29 shipped tho I'm a bit scared cause nowhere it does mention Wii or WiiU support, only that it has a Wii Remote mode... what do you guys say?
Also I was wondering, you can't use it in vWii/Wii's legit VC SNES games which don't support the Wii Remote but only CC/CCpro/GCN pad I guess?

It literally acts a sideways Wii remote. 1 and 2 are set to B and Y, A and B are set to the other face buttons, start and select are plus and minus and the shoulder buttons are tilt left and right

C-Sword

Got mine this week, tried using it with the Alienware Alpha that has built-in bluetooth, it was lagging like hell when playing KOF XIII on steam, the dpad is also not as good as the OG Snes controller and ASCii Pad.

miserable

Because it has support for it.

Wiimote tilt is the shoulder buttons, for example.

Or use gecko codes via homebrew.

yes but how exactly is it done? do i hook up the controller to a pc and use some software which can program different functions to buttons?
also tilt /= waggle
and there are no gecko codes for Wario Land like there are for DKCR

sorry for the questions, i just want to be sure that waggle on a button is possible before i purchase this controller

Link83

Ok, so a little update to my post here (If anyones interested!)

I took apart my SFC30 and can confirm that the 8Bitdo D-Pad PCB contacts are not the same as the original Nintendo D-Pad contacts, which can make the D-Pad overly sensitive as described in the previously linked review. Here is a comparison picture:-

I have made a thread about this issue over at the 8Bitdo forums, in the hope that their designers can update the PCB:-
http://forum.8bitdo.com/thread-446-1-1.html

opoth

Banned
I know I could use this on PS3 CFW, but I'd really love it if this controller would work in vWii mode with emulators that support WUP rather than have it be seen as a Wiimote. Would really be the cherry on top for the ultimate Nintendo machine.

dhlt25

anyone has a link for the NES30 pro in the US? amazon and ebay are sold out and the other links on their website keep pointing me to the non pro version.

thanks

never happened to me...try updating the firmware, maybe?

on a similar note, this controller is AMAZING for Yoshi's Wooly World. It basically plays exactly like Yoshi's Island SNES with it!

Updated the firmware but does the same. Turns out if I hold down L+R simultaneously instead of rapid fire alternate presses, I get the intended action anyway and it doesn't disconnect. Weird.

Occam

I am interested in this and would love Saturn controllers, too (and PC Engine, but I guess that's unlikely). This concerns me, though:

Ok, so a little update to my post here (If anyones interested!)

I took apart my SFC30 and can confirm that the 8Bitdo D-Pad PCB contacts are not the same as the original Nintendo D-Pad contacts, which can make the D-Pad overly sensitive as described in the previously linked review. Here is a comparison picture:-

I have made a thread about this issue over at the 8Bitdo forums, in the hope that their designers can update the PCB:-
http://forum.8bitdo.com/thread-446-1-1.html

I don't think I'll buy one until they fix the d-pad.

Rich!

I am interested in this and would love Saturn controllers, too (and PC Engine, but I guess that's unlikely). This concerns me, though:

I don't think I'll buy one until they fix the d-pad.

The dpad is fantastic.

Just don't swap it with the official one,obviously.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
I got one of these to use with PC thanks to this thread. Currently I'm trying to pair it with NintendoSpy to display my button inputs, but because the D-Pad acts as an analog stick, I can't figure out how to register it as button inputs. If anyone has any insight, please let me know.

MercuryLS

Banned
I received my SFC30 in the mail today and it's great. Playing classic games on my Retron 5 wirelessly with a proper SFC pad is so nice. I'll probably get another one at some point.

Can I swap out the dpad from an original snes/SFC pad to this controller? I like the light rubber feeling of those dpads compared to the plasticky feel of the SFC30s.

Rich!

I received my SFC30 in the mail today and it's great. Playing classic games on my Retron 5 wirelessly with a proper SFC pad is so nice. I'll probably get another one at some point.

Can I swap out the dpad from an original snes/SFC pad to this controller? I like the light rubber feeling of those dpads compared to the plasticky feel of the SFC30s.

yep, just don't replace the membrane beneath it.

SOLDIER

The main thing I want to know about the SFC controller is how it feels compared to an authentic SNES controller. Does it weigh about the same? Do the buttons feel sturdy or cheap? If it's going to get used for retro games I need to make sure it's as durable as the original.

Rich!

The main thing I want to know about the SFC controller is how it feels compared to an authentic SNES controller. Does it weigh about the same? Do the buttons feel sturdy or cheap? If it's going to get used for retro games I need to make sure it's as durable as the original.

Feels the same.

Sturdy as hell. Feels official.

Top Bottom