• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Aladdin controversy Disney can't escape

For many, Disney’s 1992 film Aladdin conjures up images of innocence: star-crossed lovers on a magic carpet, a benevolent pet tiger and a comedic genie who would grant every heart’s desire. Less well known is the fact that the film sparked a racial controversy, one that is still reverberating today.

This week saw the death of Dr Jack Shaheen, one of the most respected and loudest critics of the vilification of Arabs in Hollywood, who successfully campaigned for offensive lyrics to be changed in the original Aladdin soundtrack. Now only days after his death, the live-action Aladdin remake has been questioned over its casting woes.

The film-makers – including director Guy Ritchie – are on the hunt for leads who can live up to the animated film’s loveable street urchin Aladdin and Princess Jasmine. It’s been revealed that they’re struggling to wrap up their months-long search because of a difficulty in finding a singing, dancing actor who is Middle Eastern or Indian to play the title role. Disney have not commented on the search, and although it has been suggested that the lengthy casting process is due to the studio's commitment to finding the right actors, some are critical of the studio’s struggle.

“Nobody in their right mind can state that it is impossible to find a young male South Asian or Middle-Eastern actor who can dance, sing and act,” says Academy Award nominated director Lexi Alexander, who is half German, half Palestinian. “Bollywood is an entire industry made up of talents like this and the Middle East has equally as much talent. It’s a convenient system that insists actors-of-colour need to be household names to be cast, while nobody wants to give them a break.” Alexander posted a list of potential actors on Twitter, asking Guy to “give me a call.”

This isn’t the first time that Disney has been criticised in relation to Aladdin. The well-loved soundtrack for the 1992 animation - A Whole New World notably won Disney an Academy Award, along with another Oscar for the entire score - is actually an edited version of the one that was heard in cinemas. The original lyric in the first verse of the song Arabian Nights described Arabia as “Where they cut off your ear if they don’t like your face”.

“Aladdin is not an entertaining Arabian Nights fantasy as film critics would have us believe,” wrote Jack Shaheen in 1992, then a professor of mass communications at Southern Illinois University, “but rather a painful reminder to 3 million Americans of Arab heritage, as well as 300 million Arabs and others, that the abhorrent Arab stereotype is as ubiquitous as Aladdin’s lamp.”

The film was criticised for perpetuating Orientalist stereotypes of the Middle East and Asia. The American-Arab Anti Discrimination Committee saw light-skinned, Anglicised features in the heroes Aladdin and Jasmine that contrasted sharply with the swarthy, greedy street merchants who had Arabic accents and grotesque facial features.
Shaheen warned that these images would perpetuate negative stereotypes that “literally sustain adverse portraits across generations.” He argued: “There is a commanding link between make-believe aberrations and the real world,” and warned of the negative portrayal of Agrabah, the film’s fictionalised city that he called “Hollywood’s fabricated Ayrabland.” It appears that for some, this warning wasn’t unfounded: in 2015 it was revealed that 30% of Republican voters in the US would vote in support of bombing Agrabah.

After Shaheen protested against the film alongside the American-Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee, Disney agreed to alter the lyrics in Arabian Nights for Aladdin's video release in 1993, and defended it, as it was a rare film to feature an Arab hero and heroine.

Daniel Newman, professor of Arabic at Durham University, acknowledges that Western portrayals have come a long way from the lotus-eating, Orientalist fantasies of yesteryear, but “barring a few exceptions, what has happened is that one cliché has been replaced by another; from the scimitar-wielding lascivious Arab, we have gone to the bomb-wielding terrorist Arab.” While some ‘moderate’ characters have been introduced in shows such as Homeland, he says, “the pervading feeling is one of ‘threat’, based primarily – if not exclusively – on religion.”

“I’d ask the animators to add benevolent market-vendors and heroic guards who befriend Aladdin,” Shaheen said of the 1992 Aladdin, conscious of the image of Middle-Eastern people that might be made on the film’s young viewers. He also asked the producers “to respect Islam and to add a humane character, Aladdin’s mother, an Arab woman willing to sacrifice everything for her son’s happiness.”

Whether the new film-makers choose to stand in the old guard or vanguard remains to be seen. Back in 1992, Shaheen cited “cable television and videocassettes” as making it easy for stereotypes to travel far and wide. That is even more important in an era of mass media, all-you-can-watch online streaming. It might be worth asking ourselves when the new film is released: what would Jack Shaheen think?

http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/20170714-the-aladdin-controversy-disney-cant-escape

Rest in peace Jack Shaheen.
For those unfamiliar with his work, he created a documentary I watched years ago called Reel Bad Arab: How Hollywood Villifies a People.

You can watch it in full on Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIXOdCOrgG4

The film-makers – including director Guy Ritchie – are on the hunt for leads who can live up to the animated film’s loveable street urchin Aladdin and Princess Jasmine. It’s been revealed that they’re struggling to wrap up their months-long search because of a difficulty in finding a singing, dancing actor who is Middle Eastern or Indian to play the title role.

RIP Bollywood

entremet

I remember the original line. Never knew it was changed on home video. Interesting.

Pretty obvious they’re not casting brown folks.

DMczaf

Why does it feel like Disney leaked this shit to gauge if they can get away with hiring a white guy for the role with minimal blow back?

“I’d ask the animators to add benevolent market-vendors and heroic guards who befriend Aladdin,” Shaheen said of the 1992 Aladdin, conscious of the image of Middle-Eastern people that might be made on the film’s young viewers. He also asked the producers “to respect Islam and to add a humane character, Aladdin’s mother, an Arab woman willing to sacrifice everything for her son’s happiness.”
Interesting that he mentions Aladdin's mother when the original draft did feature her as a character. They cut her when they decided to make Aladdin's character arc more about discovering his self-worth than making his mother happy.

I do love Aladdin but it's hella problematic. I don't buy for a second that they can't find a talented enough Middle Eastern actor to play the part, either. I was going to ask who's playing him on Broadway but the original guy was half-Filipino... hm.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
It's Aladdin.
Just don't cast a white dude for fuck's sake.

RIP
z6JtHGo.jpg

Why does it feel like Disney leaked this shit to gauge if they can get away with hiring a white guy for the role with minimal blow back?

This was my first thought.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
There are two incredibly disastrous director picks for projects that are steaming ahead in Hollywood right now. First, Guy Ritchie for Aladdin. He'd really have to tone down that overcharged sensibility that he's spent his entire career playing up. I knew he'd have trouble with this cause he's never had to cast for a non-White lead, at least that I can recall. I guarantee if Disney wasn't there to say "Don't fuck up" this movie already would've pulled a Prince of Persia.

The second is David Ayer for Gotham City Sirens. A guy who has literally never directed or written a movie with prominent female characters, aside from SS, tackling a movie about 3 major female characters. And let's be real, the costume department did the heavy lifting in SS

There is so much that can go wrong with this movie. I watched the original recently and even though I still love it, there's a lot of....iffy things about its depiction of MESA culture that will be amplified by a live action version.

Who they cast as the four main human characters will be a good way to measure how much of a mess this will be. I don't even understand why finding a young brown man and woman who can sing/dance is proving to be so difficult for Disney but okay.

Kayhan

The film-makers – including director Guy Ritchie – are on the hunt for leads who can live up to the animated film’s loveable street urchin Aladdin and Princess Jasmine. It’s been revealed that they’re struggling to wrap up their months-long search because of a difficulty in finding a singing, dancing actor who is Middle Eastern or Indian to play the title role.

Bollywood on blast.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Watch it end up being 3d animated so they can say they casted middle eastern/african people for voice acting.

Cause god forbid our children see real middle eastern people in live action american cinema.

Wtf disney.

There is so much that can go wrong with this movie. I watched the original recently and even though I still love it, there's a lot of....iffy things about its depiction of MESA culture that

Who they cast as the four main human characters will be a good way to measure how much of a mess this will be. I don't even understand why finding a young brown man and woman who can sing/dance is proving to be so difficult for Disney but okay.

The whole cast except for the genie should be brown.

Black panther that shit.

tomtom94

After Jon Favreau struck gold with Jungle Book, I stopped questioning director choices.

Jon Favreau ushered in a new era of superhero movies driven by VFX though. There's SOMETHING there.

Guy Ritchie... made Sherlock Holmes? And a 60s spy bomb?

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Jon Favreau ushered in a new era of superhero movies driven by VFX though. There's SOMETHING there.

Guy Ritchie... made Sherlock Holmes? And a 60s spy bomb?

Aladdin will be the Thor 2 of the live action Disney animated films.

Alx

Not sure about changes that would contradict the plot... Aladdin was chosen to go fetch the lamp because he was supposed to be sacrificed doing so but nobody would have missed him. That wouldn't work if he had friends and family.

Jisgsaw

Doubt it.

Alladin is one of the few disneys where you would actually expect the lead to not be white, espacially as he wasn't in the animation film. Him being white would go against public expectation, unlike most other cases of white washing.

And before anybody comes with ghost in the Shell, Aladdin is far more known in the western countries than Gits is.

my thoughts as well

I kind of do too, but there has to be American born actors with Indian or Middle Eastern backgrounds that fit. I refuse to believe there aren't.

I call bullshit on this being difficult as Hollywood has no problem constantly hiring mediocre white actors for major roles. Either they're holding this actor to unreasonably high standards and want the search to fail or something else is going on

Disney is the worst for this nonsense. Look at how long it took to integrate women and people of color into the MCU. Look at the parade of white dudes that direct basically all of their movies. They hold the entire industry back with this crap.

If Disney is going to create so many false barriers for themselves from finding a talented middle eastern actor and actress they should just drop the pretense already.

Oh no middle eastern person is talented enough!

Oh no middle eastern person has a big enough name!

I don't know loads of the white actors and actresses names prior to them making it big in some movies. Doesn't seem to stop them from being cast.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Hollywood has no problem finding Middle-Eastern actors to play terrorists, I'm sure they can find ONE guy to play Aladdin.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I kind of do too, but there has to be American born actors with Indian or Middle Eastern backgrounds that fit. I refuse to believe there aren't.

I call bullshit on this being difficult as Hollywood has no problem constantly hiring mediocre white actors for major roles. Either they're holding this actor to unreasonably high standards and want the search to fail or something else is going on

Oh, it's definitely some bullshit. Dan Stevens was cast as The Beast and had very little actual singing experience up until that point. They hired a coach for him. And honestly, they're going to sweeten up the vocals like peach tea, so I don't know why they're trying to find some EGOT candidate

MisterHero

Just use the old voices and reanimate with super-realistic CGI. It's the graphics that the kids want, and the new songs would've sucked anyways.

Oh, it's definitely some bullshit. Dan Stevens was cast as The Beast and had very little actual singing experience up until that point. They hired a coach for him. And honestly, they're going to sweeten up the vocals like peach tea, so I don't know why they're trying to find some EGOT candidate

To add to that they hired an acting coach for the no-name playing young Han Solo. But nah they're just gonna whine and complain that there's no middle eastern people with talent anywhere.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Don't worry Disney. I'm pretty sure the original story took place largely in China so you can broaden your search to hire asians!

Permanently A

I'm sure the real reason they can't find someone is that they need someone with looks, acting chops, singing chops, dancing chops AND they need to do a convincing English accent.

Top Bottom